Gun Control

Heavy 6

Most on the left don’t understand the level of fear that some pro-gun activists possess. I recall on TOS, there were some posters that admitted they walked around armed in their own house due to the idea that a home invasion was a real possibility. If your mindset is that people could break down your door any minute, of course you would even feel more unsafe when you leave the house. You will fight anyone that wants to remove your rights and possibly guns.

And on the in-house armed status, what a miserable life. Move to a safer location. Invest in more secure doors. I can’t imagine the stress of being that afraid 24/7. It can’t be healthy.

Yeah, I know a few people that either pack on their person while at home or have multiple weapons at the ready around the house (thankfully, none of them have small children but most have drinking problems).  One of the guys told me, after we told he and his wife that we weren't sending our daughter back for in-person until second semester, "You're just living in fear, you can't let fear control your life or your children's education."  And I remember thinking to myself, "Dude, I found a Ruger LC pistol in a drawer in your kitchen while looking for cocktail straws.  And it was loaded.  And it was a Christmas party."  

To that point, I was recently scrolling through some discussion on a fly fishing fb group and someone posted a topic about carrying while out fishing. It was a bizarre thought (to me) but what seemed like a majority of those commenting mentioned that they carried while out on the water. The justifications included protection from illegals/thugs/other fisherman trying to claim their fishing holes and even wildlife.

I don’t really have a point here it was just jarring to me that people feel the need to carry a weapon with them at literally all times. Living with fear and paranoia all the time just does not compute, especially when participating in an activity that’s supposed to represent tranquility/relaxation/peace of mind.

12 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

To that point, I was recently scrolling through some discussion on a fly fishing fb group and someone posted a topic about carrying while out fishing. It was a bizarre thought (to me) but what seemed like a majority of those commenting mentioned that they carried while out on the water. The justifications included protection from illegals/thugs/other fisherman trying to claim their fishing holes and even wildlife.

I don’t really have a point here it was just jarring to me that people feel the need to carry a weapon with them at literally all times. Living with fear and paranoia all the time just does not compute, especially when participating in an activity that’s supposed to represent tranquility/relaxation/peace of mind.

If you’re out somewhere remote fly fishing it doesn’t surprise me that people would carry with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Most on the left don’t understand the level of fear that some pro-gun activists possess. I recall on TOS, there were some posters that admitted they walked around armed in their own house due to the idea that a home invasion was a real possibility. If your mindset is that people could break down your door any minute, of course you would even feel more unsafe when you leave the house. You will fight anyone that wants to remove your rights and possibly guns.

And on the in-house armed status, what a miserable life. Move to a safer location. Invest in more secure doors. I can’t imagine the stress of being that afraid 24/7. It can’t be healthy.

There's no other way to say it: those people are mentally ill. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

If you’re out somewhere remote fly fishing it doesn’t surprise me that people would carry with them. 

Maybe in some very specific circumstances. A large part of the discussion was “thugs” causing trouble. Had no idea MS-13 liked to troll the creeks looking for unsuspecting old white men. “Quick...get his 6wt and his fly box. Oh shitttt homie this fool has dat new Orvis Clearwater”. 

it was mostly a situational fantasy circle jerk. Like most discussions regarding threats by gun nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But some of us are apparently living life in fear because we still wear masks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I have been fishing all my life with every variety of crazy person you can imagine.  And I don't think I've ever been in a group where someone was packing.  Maybe somebody had a pistol in their car or something, or the outfitter was carrying.  I've been too close for comfort with some bears in Canada while fishing, probably wouldn't have minded a weapon at the ready then.  But otherwise, where are these people fishing that illegals/thugs are gonna come along and fuck with them?  They've been watching 'Deliverance' too many times.  

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Maybe in some very specific circumstances. A large part of the discussion was “thugs” causing trouble. Had no idea MS-13 liked to troll the creeks looking for unsuspecting old white men. “Quick...get his 6wt and his fly box. Oh shitttt homie this fool has dat new Orvis Clearwater”. 

it was mostly a situational fantasy circle jerk. Like most discussions regarding threats by gun nuts. 

I've never been fishing in a place that could realistically have dangerous wildlife (bears) so I could see wanting to have a weapon in those cases. But if their fantasy is to use the weapon (threaten or fire on) another person, they're ill.

I'm not opposed to having a weapon if home for security purposes. But if you take the time to hide guns around your house or wear one on your hip at all times, its time to reevaluate your life. Most home invasions are due to someone in that house being involved in crime. Or they're know to carry cash, perhaps as part of their business. The few random home invasions are so rare, they statistically don't happen.

But then again, I assume some of these gun carriers need to protect their gold stash that William Devane sold them on Fox Business.

39 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I’d take a gun if I was fishing in the back country in Yellowstone or Alaska.  But just generally?  Nah.

Just now, Goredho said:

I’d take a gun if I was fishing in the back country in Yellowstone or Alaska.  But just generally?  Nah.

Bingo. Bear arms to protect you from bear arms. That makes sense, and is even advisable in that situation. 

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Even though bear spray is actually a more effective deterrent, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

We recently learned that bear spray is not lethal though. May not be adequate deterrent. 

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Even though bear spray is actually a more effective deterrent, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

I'd carry a .45 in Grizzly country, particularly Alaska.  Otherwise....come the fuck on.  They're talking about needing a sidearm for self defense against "thugs" while they're drifting a nymph in a stream?  WTF?  WTF is wrong with people's brains?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd carry a .45 in Grizzly country, particularly Alaska.  Otherwise....come the fuck on.  They're talking about needing a sidearm for self defense against "thugs" while they're drifting a nymph in a stream?  WTF?  WTF is wrong with people's brains?

never know...

temp1 - Copy.JPG

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Some of the comments were just fucking bonkers.  I just cant understand the mindset.  At all.  

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've never been fishing in a place that could realistically have dangerous wildlife (bears) so I could see wanting to have a weapon in those cases.

I have fished a decent amount I believe in places where the wildlife might be deemed dangerous if you come into contact with them. I never carried a gun. My stance was I am in their neighborhood and I am going to respect the wildlife I encounter. I almost never saw any though when I was fishing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, hookemATL said:

They are the guys that believe Penthouse letters. It could happen.

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd carry a .45 in Grizzly country, particularly Alaska. 

454 Casull or 460 ftmfw.  Grizzly is scary. 

8 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Some of the comments were just fucking bonkers.  I just cant understand the mindset.  At all.  

But what if you run into some liberal thugs like @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt?  Thought of that? 

In all seriousness, I remember a similar thread on 2cool several years ago and was floored at how many people carried on the boat. 1) because I often will get out and walk the back lakes, sometimes a mile + from the boat. Seems dumb af to leave a firearm there. And 2) because I’m still not shy about asking someone WTF! if I get seriously pot licked.  Never occurred to me the guy I’m telling I’ll board like a fucking pirate if he doesn’t back up might be carrying because we are BAY FISHING.   Offshore guys take them to shoot big sharks; I’ve both heard that and seen vids. 

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Most of the recent thought is that while bear spray is a better deterrent, it does you pretty much no good in an actual bear attack. There was an article I read recently that took all the bear attacks where firearms were used that they could find and they found that they were fairly effective, assuming you could get rounds on target.

There's a Black Bear v. Polar Bear bad joke in here somewhere.

I was thinking about some fishing in Ontario, Canada and the Northwoods and looking back, our outfitters did carry a pistol in their packs (not on the hip).  I guess this was why.  I've had a few close encounters with bears up there.  Nothing life threatening but close enough to get my heart racing and requiring a hearty piss afterwards.  I'm not a fly fisherman, but I'm guessing there's some spots in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. where you'd want that protection.  But yeah, why a gun on a boat or in the Gulf?  Somalis?  

• 2 months later...

In 2016, the AMA called unchecked gun violence a national health crisis. Since then, things appear to have gotten worse. Biden has crafted a series of EOs to address our epidemic of gun violence, but he’s just the POTUS. He’s not a Congress, a mayor, a governor or a police chief. In the face of increasing gun violence, a governor can conceivably exacerbate the problem  by making it easier to flood the streets of our cities with more easily obtained weapons of mass destruction. Why are pretending not to know why we experience so much gun violence?

2021 is on a pace to be the most violent year for the U.S. in two decades. Over 120 people in America died in shootings last weekend alone, with at least three mass shootings in Austin, Chicago and Savannah. In May, there was a 28% increase in homicides in Philadelphia, 76% in Tucson, 23% in New York. Many reasons are advanced - the rise in unemployment, an increase in gun sales, a decline in some police patrols, a rise in inequality. What can local officials do to try to stop the bloodshed and loss now?

• 1 month later...

Mexico knows this is a long shot, but if it helps brings more pressure to bear on the laws that protect the gun industry, then all all the better:

If someone is shot in Mexico, odds are the gun came from the United States.

Somewhere between 70 and 90 percent of firearms found in Mexican crime scenes are traced back north of the border, according to a February report from the United States Government Accountability Office.

A study released by the Mexican government last year also found that about 2.5 million firearms were illicitly trafficked southbound across the border in the last 10 years.

So it isn’t particularly surprising that the Mexican government is now suing several American gun manufacturers, the Washington Post reports.

The lawsuit claims that manufacturers’ lax controls and marketing contribute to the illegal flow of guns into Mexico – the same guns that have facilitated rising homicide rates throughout the country.

The complaint says some of these companies “design, market, distribute and sell guns in a way they know routinely arm the drug cartels in Mexico.”

The lawsuit specifically calls out Colt’s Manufacturing Company over its .38-caliber gold-plated Emiliano Zapata 1911 pistol, which has the phrase “It’s better to die standing than to live on your knees” engraved on it. That is the same type of weapon used to murder Mexican investigative journalist Miroslava Breach in 2017, according to the lawsuit.

Other manufacturers named in the suit include Smith & Wesson Brands, Beretta USA and Glock.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/border-report-why-mexicos-taking-aim-at-u-s-gun-manufacturers/

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The complaint says some of these companies “design, market, distribute and sell guns in a way they know routinely arm the drug cartels in Mexico.”

Fucking lawyers man. 

American company's marketing and design capabilities responsible for the shit in mexico. Good talk. 

I wonder if there would be precedent for a statute that creates a private cause of action that rewards plaintiffs with $10,000 for a successful suit against against any gun seller (commercial or private sale) that does not fully comply with all gun sale regulations.  If a seller succeeds in defending itself, no recovery of attorney fees.  Snitch on a bad sale = $10K profit.  

Some motherfuckers seem to forget a time not too far in the past when this state was ruled by a different political party and assume that the tide will never turn.