2024 Game Week #1- Texas v Despondency

Wulaw Horn

Ewers may never win a national championship, but he's playing a pretty vital role in bringing this program back to where it should be given its resources and advantages.  We are entering a golden era of Texas football and will be in SEC title and playoff contention for the foreseeable future.  If we keep refining and improving and not settling for what we saw last night, the stars will align at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

• Hook 'Em 6

53 minutes ago, troph said:

Seems like we are a WR, DT, S and TE away from being markedly better next year. return the OL, QB, complete RB room, Cook at WR. Lose 2 DTs (at least), MLB but Hill coming on strong, half the secondary will be sophomores. Edge transfer plus Burke a year stronger. Etc. Etc.

We need an elite pass rusher.  I’m talking the kind of dude that scares the living piss out of other teams.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ewers is just weird. Shaky start, then in the 4th he went out and made big throw after big throw all while looking depressed. 

might've just been concussed...

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Would that Ewers was that guy.  I just don't think he is and that actually may be one of the problems with this team.

As I keep saying, I think this team is a little bit mindfucked still and I think a fiery leader (who himself is not mindfucked) might have helped us move past that.

I'm hopeful that Ewers will show more of what we saw against Oklahoma St in terms of his ability to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads more quickly. Also an understated fact about the switch from the Big 12 to the SEC is the hubris that comes with DCs in the SEC leads to fewer complicated defensive schemes and tactics. They're so confident in their personnel that they tend to play simpler schemes. Ewers will see a lot more man to man and simple coverages next year compared to what he's seen in the Big 12. Outside of maybe Arkansas and Vandy that 3 safety flyover defense is a thing of the past. SEC coaches have caught up with the rest of the college football on the offensive side of the ball, but theyre still old school NFL in terms of their mentality and willingness to innovate on the defensive side, of the field. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Caldwell is a stud and it sounds like Texas is doing everything they can to get his grades in order. 
One of Trill Carter or Collins + Caldwell gives us a filthy interior DL again. Not as good as Sweat and Murphy of course but still really good. 

When Sweat and Murphy were sophs nobody was talking about them, and even last season both had a few flashes here and there, but far from dominant. While it would great to land an experienced DT in the portal, I'm hoping we already have the answer there on campus.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Thank you to all of you who have responded to this thread. I was really despondent this morning. After reading all of your posts, I am really looking forward to next season. Even though it is a long ways away. Should be some fun things happening between now and then. Hopefully, we will make a serious run in basketball and baseball. That will make the time go faster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would be shocked if Edge isn't notably better.
Moore and Simmons are more talented than anybody on the roster. 
We haven't seen Vasek yet and Akana had very limited snaps in only a couple games and not sure he was ever unleashed to go after the QB. I don't think any amount of training table/S&C is going to transform Ethan Burkes body into the prototypical edge rusher, but he should be a bit stronger next season to go along with all the experience he gained this year. Yeah, we recruited well at the position, but I wouldn't rely on true Freshmen to become full time starters...at least not the first few games of the season.

At DE, Collin Simmons and Trey Moore coming in and will displace Burke and Sorrell to finally give us a pass rush. Finkley is a JAG. Akana, Bledsoe, and Vasek should provide depth. 

At DT, Alfred Collins hopefully sticks around to play himself into a mid-round grade. J'Mond Tapp needs to add weight. Sydir Mitchell looks promising. Carter is a run stuffer but not explosive.

16 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

Thank you to all of you who have responded to this thread. I was really despondent this morning. After reading all of your posts, I am really looking forward to next season. Even though it is a long ways away. Should be some fun things happening between now and then. Hopefully, we will make a serious run in basketball and baseball. That will make the time go faster. 

we are still a seriously young team. Blue and Baxter are underclassmen this year. Ewers underclassman this year, half the OL underclassmen. half the secondary underclassmen, star LB underclassman. that's just off the top of my head. this was a year ahead of schedule to be perfectly honest. getting CFP experience was a huge bonus for next year. huge.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It was a fantastic year. That said, I've long held that no Texas football season is a total success if it includes a loss to OU. Of course, a CFP title would have been a mighty nice salve on that wound, but my point is that our shortcomings this year aren't limited to the final four passes last night. There's always work to do to get better, especially with our move into the SEC. Round out the roster via the portal, have an injury-free spring and come out swinging against everyone next fall. Our future is the most beautiful shade of orange. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

pretty sure something happened, otherwise Arch never even puts his helmet on.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I read a little on concussion symptoms and although they normally show up right away the can take longer, even up to a day.  I know that one camera shot of Quinn sitting there on the bench looking lost seemed like something was wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I’ve never seen the word despondent used so many times in one thread. I don’t even know what it means.

It means you touch yourself with your left hand because your right hand is hurt and you didn’t put in the time to become ambidextrous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Ewers may never win a national championship, but he's playing a pretty vital role in bringing this program back to where it should be given its resources and advantages.  We are entering a golden era of Texas football and will be in SEC title and playoff contention for the foreseeable future.  If we keep refining and improving and not settling for what we saw last night, the stars will align at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

But aggy hired Elko so our soon-to-be NC might be in jeopardy…..LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

2 hours ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:
Caldwell is a stud and it sounds like Texas is doing everything they can to get his grades in order. 
One of Trill Carter or Collins + Caldwell gives us a filthy interior DL again. Not as good as Sweat and Murphy of course but still really good. 

When Sweat and Murphy were sophs nobody was talking about them, and even last season both had a few flashes here and there, but far from dominant. While it would great to land an experienced DT in the portal, I'm hoping we already have the answer there on campus.

Right - Bo was telling them to get in the motherfucker.

I’m thankful.   I predicted 9-3, and 12-2 with a spot in the CFB bets that all to hell.  We humans will always want more.  We can seek that more in upcoming seasons, legitimately. This is a different place than we are used to.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I read a little on concussion symptoms and although they normally show up right away the can take longer, even up to a day.  I know that one camera shot of Quinn sitting there on the bench looking lost seemed like something was wrong.

Yeah, that's why either Manning took it upon himself to get ready or was told by some astute coach on the staff.

Even if QE didn't go to the tent, you never know after a hit like that if he was going to start telling everyone he was batman out of the blue.

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

I’m thankful.   I predicted 9-3, and 12-2 with a spot in the CFB bets that all to hell.  We humans will always want more.  We can seek that more in upcoming seasons, legitimately. This is a different place than we are used to.

Take the extra wins pussy!

Take the extra wins pussy!
Exactly what this thread feels like. We won the gotdam conference on our way out (beating all the old Big 12 schools on our schedule) made it to the CFB playoffs and were within 10 seconds of playing for it all.

Wanna talk about despondent? That's what I'd be if I were aggy today. Of course the information ministry will pump copious amounts of sunshine up aggy asses..things like "the Elk is a real football coach" "the S&C guy is bringing hell with him!" "The players we signed want to be aggy!" and shit like that...all similar to what we heard after Mack was shitcanned.

The fact is we have a team that can compete in the SEC and have a stellar class coming in, many who will be here for spring ball. I'm disappointed in last night as well, but we're on the right track...and not a rollercoaster.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm hopeful that Ewers will show more of what we saw against Oklahoma St in terms of his ability to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads more quickly. Also an understated fact about the switch from the Big 12 to the SEC is the hubris that comes with DCs in the SEC leads to fewer complicated defensive schemes and tactics. They're so confident in their personnel that they tend to play simpler schemes. Ewers will see a lot more man to man and simple coverages next year compared to what he's seen in the Big 12. Outside of maybe Arkansas and Vandy that 3 safety flyover defense is a thing of the past. SEC coaches have caught up with the rest of the college football on the offensive side of the ball, but theyre still old school NFL in terms of their mentality and willingness to innovate on the defensive side, of the field. 

Yeah, seems like I shit all over Ewers, but I don't hate him and he's good.  Seriously above average.  

But twice now we've gotten carved up by QBs that make you wish he was a little more  . . . something.  And that's not even his fault.

Ewers doesn't have mental toughness. And our guys were not in the right mindset going into the game. That false start at the very beginning told me everything I needed to know. Miracle we had a chance to win it despite all that.

I hope the RB stable develops because we will not be able to win playoff games or make the SEC championship game based on Quinn's arm alone.

The season got us the BIG XII championship we expected. It showed us a united special team we did not expect since no one talked about the things that would make this team special prior to the season. It showed us Sark is a capable program builder. Yet you are what you are and what made us vulnerable all year cost us in the end. Secondary and red zone offense. This recruiting class indicates the first is on its way to being corrected. The second still depends on Sark and he did not find an answer this year. This loss will move the second issue to the top of his offseason agenda.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, troph said:

It means you touch yourself with your left hand because your right hand is hurt and you didn’t put in the time to become ambidextrous. 

This is oddly specific 

and hits close to home

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:12 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, seems like I shit all over Ewers, but I don't hate him and he's good.  Seriously above average.  

But twice now we've gotten carved up by QBs that make you wish he was a little more  . . . something.  And that's not even his fault.

I've been willing to see it as freshman and sophomore expectations, I think he's gotta perform like an All American next year or he will have missed the mark. I see no reason why he cannot do that.

I'd like to think we're past the days of Koolaid and moving towards some fine sippin' whiskey.    That we can read the reports out of spring and fall camps without thinking "zero sum."    It's been forever since we've had a coaching staff that could evaluate talent and then develop it.  Add that to the culture change and we don't have that feeling it's all a house of cards.  Not only do players want to be part of this, but coaches and staff apparently want to be part of it as well.   Sark is the next Saban, as far as building a dynasty.  He'll do it differently, he won't be as gruff and irritable while doing it.    Watching all this come together and play out will be glorious. 

Quinn obviously found himself lacking in some areas at the end of his freshman season.  He worked hard to make the necessary changes.  It could be he didn't feel right in trying to sell himself as the leader until he proved to himself he was capable of being that leader.  That's what happened this season.  Now I feel he has the confidence in himself to be that leader, to ask the team to follow him.  He wants to be genuine, not just a bunch of hot air.  So here's to hoping the new Quinn takes those steps and assumes that fiery leadership role.

• Hook 'Em 1