Washington vs Michigan, CFP Championship -- Jan. 8th ESPN 6:30p CT

LTtxfan

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Harbough’s brother and several raven coaches showed up today 

Michigan runs the Ravens defense. It’s their chance to see how it fairs vs a high level college offense. I am really interested in seeing how it’s fares. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Michigan runs the Ravens defense. It’s their chance to see how it fairs vs a high level college offense. I am really interested in seeing how it’s fares. 

im sure they’re pitching game plans today 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im sure they’re pitching game plans today 

I wouldn’t be shocked if McDonald sat in on a meeting. He was the DC last year. I don’t think he will add much and it is more about coaching curiosity

23 minutes ago, Pimphand said:
2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize that was a “Helo hot take”. Dude has a vast history of doing dumb shit in important games

Unlike Sark Harbaugh has actually one a bowl game....

Sounds like won-upmanship...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

^^^this. It may be the least watched natty ever

It will outperform any of the SECX3 rematch games (2022, 2018, 2011), unless it’s a blowout either way. No one outside the SECX3 was at all interested in those. And everyone is sick of the SECX3. 
Last year’s ratings were a bust because it got out of hand early. If it had been a close game it would’ve been big numbers. People love underdog games—the UM-TCU semi game did very well, IIRC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Harbaugh watched the film from our game and has been stroking his tiny penis to the thought of running the ball down UW’s throats. UM probably pulls away late in the game. Penix will be under the pressure having to keep up in the limited possession they have left in the game, while a well rested pass rush keeps him running.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to mention the entire ravens staff flew in to help prep since they played yesterday and now have a bye.

Talk about a boon

Michigan implemented this defense when they brought McDonald in two years ago to stop Ohio states. (Best offense ever….. rawr) then he went right back to Baltimore as their DC and sent minter back as michigans DC. The D has been nasty since they changed from don “everyone is on an island 100% of the time” brown
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Harbaugh watched the film from our game and has been stroking his tiny penis to the thought of running the ball down UW’s throats. UM probably pulls away late in the game. Penix will be under the pressure having to keep up in the limited possession they have left in the game, while a well rested pass rush keeps him running.

I don’t know if the Sugar Bowl is an accurate representation of Washington’s run defense. They were baiting the RPO all game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I don’t think Washington will have the same game plan. They are not going to build a game plan around the defending the pass. They are going to see a completely different game plan. I would assume they are going to sell out on the run and try to make Michigan pass the ball 

• Hook 'Em 1

My view on this is UW centric, but I think the key to beating UW is to make early adjustments on offense and make UW's offense win in the red zone

UW on defense

After watching a few UW games, this is how I think about the UW defense. 

• They know they don't field a great unit on defense. 
  • The way I see it, their DC (and DeBoer) is kind of a gunslinger.  Against a good offense, they gameplan for what they think you will want to do early and they will over-devote resources to stopping that even if it means there is a gimme somewhere else.  Oregon typically wants to hit you underneath to open big shots later.  Against Oregon in the second game, they dared Oregon to take deep shots early and smothered everything underneath.  Oregon took too long to adjust and basically played 4 offensive drives right into UW's trap.  Oregon mounted a comeback, but it was too late.   You can't spot UW four drives.
  • Against Texas, UW allowed the backs and tight ends to basically get what they wanted early in the game.  IMO, Texas actually adjusted by the second drive, and this probably would have backfired on UW if not for the fumbles and self-inflicted penalties against Texas.
  • UW has some counter-punches (they ran some run blitzes against Texas) but IMO the defense is just trying to steal two or three drives, figuring this will be enough to get a lead and sit on it, given how potent their offense is. 
  • I don't really think of Michigan as the best in-game adjusting team (could be wrong here) but if they try to run into early run blitzes and don't adjust quickly enough, UW got what they wanted out of their defense, I think.

Will be interesting to see how UW gameplans for Michigan and how Michigan responds.  

Michigan on Defense

Michigan prolly matches up against UW as well as anyone on UW's schedule, but I still think your best defense against the UW offense is let them kill drives with penalties (which they did all regular season and last year in the Alamo bowl) and let them get themselves behind the sticks when they miss one of their shots.   Unfortunately, neither of these really happened against Texas.  rip.

The second best way to stop UW is to make them win in the red zone. 

When UW had to work in the red zone in the Sugar Bowl, (not counting first down at the 2 after a long pass and another drive where they scored on 1st and 10 from the 19), the results were 

• turnover on downs
  • FG
  • FG
  • FG

I think Texas has a better run defense than Michigan, but if UW's RB1 is out or playing injured, UM might have about as much success defending the run as Texas did. 

Honestly, I know how much Harbaugh cares about sportsmanship, so this might be below him, but i tell my DBs to tackle the WR if I see a pass 20+yards the air, just in case Penix is still locked in.  lol. 

I hate that this is the last game of the season I get to watch, but here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

lol wut? 

The ravens played Saturday. The entire staff including John Harbaugh and DC Mike McDonald flew to Houston after the game to help with game prep.

The ravens have a Bye next week so the players are off Monday-Tuesday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t think Washington will have the same game plan. They are not going to build a game plan around the defending the pass. They are going to see a completely different game plan. I would assume they are going to sell out on the run and try to make Michigan pass the ball 

That didn't work out too well for Ohio State last year. TCU had more success at throwing 8 guys into running lanes, but that was with Michigan down Corum. 

I think Michigan's game plan is going to be grind it out on the run and try hit 10ish play action shots on downs where UW is thinking run. 3rd and 2 from around Midfield and whatnot.

If Michigan get get a couple stops or hold UW for FGs it is going to be over quickly. If UW gets an early lead or Michigan has another slow start, it could morph into a shootout ala TCU last year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I can guarantee two things...

1) Harbaugh won't be sticking to some asinine 40 play script to start the game and even if he did he would throw it away as soon as he realizes he is getting 6ypc

2) The UM secondary is orders of magnitude better but they will still get far more pressure on Penix.

Actually a 3rd

3) Posters on this board will be yammering "We would've easily beat Michigan" without acknowledging their stubborn coaches cost them the opportunity.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I like them both. Feel like Michigan wins it just because they are the bigger football brand. #expertanalysis

Also, does anyone know the actual kick-off time? I don't want to sit through 42 minutes of BS analysis and hype. I want to turn it on as foot meets ball.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I like them both. Feel like Michigan wins it just because they are the bigger football brand. #expertanalysis

Also, does anyone know the actual kick-off time? I don't want to sit through 42 minutes of BS analysis and hype. I want to turn it on as foot meets ball.

Its insane that they dont actually show the kickoff time. Like the networks just have to get their hooks in for a little longer. 

To the best that I found out, coin toss is 745. Kick 747.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Juicy said:

Its insane that they dont actually show the kickoff time. Like the networks just have to get their hooks in for a little longer. 

To the best that I found out, coin toss is 745. Kick 747.

Thanks.

It's one reason I love F1. They literally show the clock moving to the top of the hour, and then the light turns green for the formation lap. All the pageantry and hype is before the time listed.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thanks.

It's one reason I love F1. They literally show the clock moving to the top of the hour, and then the light turns green for the formation lap. All the pageantry and hype is before the time listed.

Don't get me wrong, I am going to be pumping some pageantry and hype all day long, but with a 2 and 1 year old I want to make sure I have them snug in their beds before the game actually kicks off. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Should change their name to the Alaskan Malamutes.

Washington’s mascot is not the Siberian Huskies, it is the Huskies.  Huskies represents a group of dog breeds, among which are the Siberian Husky and the Alaskan Malamute.  There are some 22 breeds that are considered part of the Husky group.  Washington uses the Alaskan Malamute as their mascot become it is generally the largest and strongest of the Husky breeds.  I myself prefer the Siberian Husky.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Don't get me wrong, I am going to be pumping some pageantry and hype all day long, but with a 2 and 1 year old I want to make sure I have them snug in their beds before the game actually kicks off. 

One word: paregoric.

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Was trying. Can’t pull it off. 

PM Liucci

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Washington’s mascot is not the Siberian Huskies, it is the Huskies.  Huskies represents a group of dog breeds, among which are the Siberian Husky and the Alaskan Malamute.  There are some 22 breeds that are considered part of the Husky group.  Washington uses the Alaskan Malamute as their mascot become it is generally the largest and strongest of the Husky breeds.  I myself prefer the Siberian Husky.

IMG-8283.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently this officiating crew has called the most PI penalties of any of the p5 conference crews on the year. 

Michigan is the least penalized team in the p5, but I don't love hearing that about the crew. 

That said, doesn't matter, play your part 3 stacks. 

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Good possibility they’re both somewhere else next season. 

Thamel and Finebaum were pushing Deboer to Michigan, which seems like just a creation of a storyline for clicks. 

I may be overreacting to our loss but give me Washington 31 Michigan 27.  Pennix and DeBoer have made me believers and Michigan did their best to give it away to a crappy Bama offense.

I've always liked both teams and hope it's a good game.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Thamel and Finebaum were pushing Deboer to Michigan, which seems like just a creation of a storyline for clicks. 

I heard DeBoer to Michigan back in October from a buddy of mine...  but since Wash made the CFP and Michigan will likely get penalties because of Harbaugh it may not happen.  

Can UW limit the Michigan ground attack?  If not, Michigan wins.  I think it's as simple as that.  A rolling Michigan ground game opens up play action for McCarthy and keeps Penix on the sideline.

Will be pulling for UW despite the Sugar Bowl result.  I don't like cheaters.

• Hook 'Em 2

Now that people are taking Washington seriously, I think their magic finally wears off.  This game is going to be the ultimate test of Mack Brown's old maximum that long drives in the first half are points on the board in the 4th quarter.  Michigan has been running into 8 man fronts all season.  Either Washington's DL and LB are going to nut up, or they will be ground to dust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

It's such a weird song, lyrically and musically.  All the games I've been to, and I've never heard anyone sing that.  Dardanelles?

They play it a lot at Husky baseball* games.   I've never heard anyone singing it at a game either.  It's not as catchy as I've been working on the railroad, obviously.

Best Washington fight song.  

*Who are also undefeated in the College World Series.

Edited by petscii

29 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I took Washington and Pennix on the over at 193.5 passing yards. 

That seems like a gimme, even in a loss I think they throw for 300. If it is 500.... could be trouble.