Washington vs Michigan, CFP Championship -- Jan. 8th ESPN 6:30p CT

LTtxfan

Just now, Codaxx said:

if you are talkign about the Watts play that was below the waste, not in the back. 

The announcers said they threw the flag for block in the back but picked it up because the “block in the back” was within 5 yards of the LOS. In reality, Watts got obliterated. in the back standing on the sideline well after the play was over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think the UW OL called for the hold was justified because of the right hand coming down on the DL's back and then he goes down. Even if in slow motion is looks less severe, in real time, it sure looks like a penalty. I doubt the DL flopped either. The bigger issue is the jersey pulls that didn't get called. Even weak jersey pulls almost always get called. I thought it was an unwritten rule that anytime you see a jersey pulled just throw the flag.

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Watts got hit in the back, not the play the OL belly swallowed him whole.

I have never heard of the 5 yard rule. I know the NFL calls it "close-line" play.  I do know that you dont have a 10 yard area from sideline to sideline surrounding the LOS to block in the back. Other exceptions being loose ball, player turns. I dont know why I am blanking on that Watts play. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The announcers said they threw the flag for block in the back but picked it up because the “block in the back” was within 5 yards of the LOS. In reality, Watts got obliterated. in the back standing on the sideline well after the play was over.

the 5 yard limit only exists between the tackle box.  they picked it up because they didn't want to penalize Washington.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yea, this one was huge. It puts UM at 1st and 20, Fifty yards of field position instead. It changed the momentum of their offense.

The problem with the UW hold was that they anticipated what happened. The left hand probably did grab but he let go quickly. That should never be called particularly with what they don’t call.

They held all night against us. Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

54 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have never heard of the 5 yard rule. I know the NFL calls it "close-line" play.  I do know that you dont have a 10 yard area from sideline to sideline surrounding the LOS to block in the back. Other exceptions being loose ball, player turns. I dont know why I am blanking on that Watts play. 

It was in the 4th quarter near the sideline.  They absolutely drilled him after the play was over.

17 hours ago, jinx said:

There was color tv in 1997

But no Michigan title in 1997 that anyone had to acknowledge.  They dodged Nebraska and played Washington State, who also got robbed in the 4th qtr.

This year Michigan also dodged the best team in UGA but they still had 'the best season's with those last three games.

19 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

But no Michigan title in 1997 that anyone had to acknowledge.  They dodged Nebraska and played Washington State, who also got robbed in the 4th qtr.

This year Michigan also dodged the best team in UGA but they still had 'the best season's with those last three games.

Lulz you're doing a bit, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

for a guy with 12 broken ribs and 2 collapsed lungs that caused him to take 20 minutes to walk 100 feet up the tunnel he sure talked a lot after the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

for a guy with 12 broken ribs and 2 collapsed lungs that caused him to take 20 minutes to walk 100 feet up the tunnel he sure talked a lot after the game.
He played that shit up for the cameras. Needed that sympathy since he shit all over the bed last night. He hit a deep pass late in the game, he was fine. Just picked the wrong time to have a terrible game. Michigan was begging Washington to take over that game all 2nd half but Washington offense said nah. In between the 2TD runs to start the game and the later part of the game, Washington defense did everything they could to keep them in the game.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

He played that shit up for the cameras. Needed that sympathy since he shit all over the bed last night. He hit a deep pass late in the game, he was fine. Just picked the wrong time to have a terrible game. Michigan was begging Washington to take over that game all 2nd half but Washington offense said nah. In between the 2TD runs to start the game and the later part of the game, Washington defense did everything they could to keep them in the game.

He would have really benefited from Ewers throwing a TD on that last drive. The narrative would have been how he had an incredible game and his coach and defense squandered it and who knows what would have happened against Michigan. Instead, we know he'd play like shit and act like a little bitch.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, Juicy said:

I can't tell you how much I thought about this the past few weeks. If they didn't do it this year I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Penn State and Iowa are just meh, but having to go Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama, Washington to close it out was a gauntlet. Beating CFP 10-7-4-2 to win it. 

Doing that across the playoffs instead of a regular season mix, would be insane. Conf champ game (for a bye) then playing 3 top 12 teams if you win, or 4 top 12 if you lose the conf champ, is asking a LOT. I love the idea of expanded playoffs, but it sucks for anyones team's chances of winning it all. 

I haven't seen this brought up enough when everyone is saying how great shape Texas is going forward. Texas wasted this whole decade of the 4 team playoff era. 2014-2017 and 2020-2022 weren't even close to being contenders. 2018 was a very talented, scrappy team that could have made it if a few close losses went our way. You only need to win 2 games to win it all. Now, it's going to be more than that. That makes it much different. Making the playoffs in the new 12 team is not even the same as making it in the 4 team. Sure, you might make it more in the new 12 team but they don't hold the same weight. Football is a game of attrition. More games is more chances for injuries to important pieces. It's a game of inches and a few plays here and there make the difference, as Texas saw last week. Not to mention, moving to a different conference and more obstacles in our way.

Washington is going to be kicking themselves, too because who the hell knows if they even sniff a title game moving to the Big 10 and the 12 team version. You can't just play the game if your life and get into the title game now. You need to repeat it multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A ton of people watch Michigan. A whole lot of that audience was probably Ohio State fans hoping Michigan failed in the championship. Big 10 Country, like SEC Country, watches a lot of college football. If you look at the highest rated games of the year, a lot of them were Big Noon games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

A ton of people watch Michigan. A whole lot of that audience was probably Ohio State fans hoping Michigan failed in the championship. Big 10 Country, like SEC Country, watches a lot of college football. If you look at the highest rated games of the year, a lot of them were Big Noon games. 

Agree....

Also this was the most watched CFP in 6 years as well if you include the semi final matchups. 

On 1/9/2024 at 5:34 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Man, where is @flatdawgs in all of this?

Traveling Houston - Dallas, showing my brother and friends what College Station really looks like (because I am a sick bastard and they didn't really believe what I've told them for years), and on my way home now. Disappointing end to a great season, but UM was the better team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Traveling Houston - Dallas, showing my brother and friends what College Station really looks like (because I am a sick bastard and they didn't really believe what I've told them for years), and on my way home now. Disappointing end to a great season, but UM was the better team.

Be sure to share the College Station horror stories in the aggy thread lol 

9 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I still want a home and home with Washington. Let's get that done. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Be sure to share the College Station horror stories in the aggy thread lol 

It shall be done in due time. They were amazed that, yes, you can see the football stadium from a couple of miles away, and were confused as to why any poor lost soul would need directions. They also were befuddled by a bus that said "hullabaloo."

• Haha 2

Michigan somehow pulled USC, Oregon, and Washington on their schedule next year in addition to us and Ohio St.  I presume Washington and USC are probably down, but that is going to be a gauntlet   Will test how deep they really are + recruiting presuming they lose 12-15 players to draft and Harbaugh   

Oregon pulled both Michigan and Ohio St.  UCLA misses both.  With these unbalanced schedules, I think making 12 team playoff has almost as much to do with who you hit in conference as anything.  UT and Aggy need to take full advantage next year because the SEC schedule isn’t going to get any easier.  

Separately, and this is another discussion for another thread, how many years until a team rests guys Thanksgiving weekend or even in the CCG game NFL week 18 style, to avoid injury for playoff?  Last year was fluky so not a perfect example, but if Big XII CCG was the last game played and results were known, why would TCU want to risk injury if they are still top 4 with a loss?  I imagine that in that scenario the committee makes Bama 4 and TCU 5.  That’s also why 16 teams would have been a real problem.  At least with 4 teams getting byes there ought to be a lot to play for everyone. But the scenario will bubble up one year for a team locked into too 4 or 8-12 range.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I for one wouldn't want to risk a loss when your spot in playoff is based on votes and not division and league standings.

If the playoff was based on division / league standing, teams could line up big time OOC opponents because the risk of loss and falling out of favor with a committee wouldn't matter.

Or, teams would still just line up pansies for warm up / practice until the season starts.

20 hours ago, Juicy said:

I would be fine with Orji next year if JJ goes pro. He is a monster and has so much zip on his ball. His biggest problem this year was he didnt get many chances, so he literally called his own number every time. 

And 99% its a big noon kickoff. It was part of the agreement to get texas out of the b12 a year earlier was fox getting that game. 

What is the nicest hotel in Ann Arbor or Detroit?  Trying to make plans.  Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Michigan somehow pulled USC, Oregon, and Washington on their schedule next year in addition to us and Ohio St.  I presume Washington and USC are probably down, but that is going to be a gauntlet   Will test how deep they really are + recruiting presuming they lose 12-15 players to draft and Harbaugh   

Oregon pulled both Michigan and Ohio St.  UCLA misses both.  With these unbalanced schedules, I think making 12 team playoff has almost as much to do with who you hit in conference as anything.  UT and Aggy need to take full advantage next year because the SEC schedule isn’t going to get any easier.  

Separately, and this is another discussion for another thread, how many years until a team rests guys Thanksgiving weekend or even in the CCG game NFL week 18 style, to avoid injury for playoff?  Last year was fluky so not a perfect example, but if Big XII CCG was the last game played and results were known, why would TCU want to risk injury if they are still top 4 with a loss?  I imagine that in that scenario the committee makes Bama 4 and TCU 5.  That’s also why 16 teams would have been a real problem.  At least with 4 teams getting byes there ought to be a lot to play for everyone. But the scenario will bubble up one year for a team locked into too 4 or 8-12 range.  

They were talking about this on sports talk this morning. No chance that Michigan or Ohio State rest players for the CCG, so does that put them at a disadvantage compared to teams not playing a true or meaningful rivalry game. 

If Oregon is 11-1 and already locked up for the B1G championship game, you would think that they would rest players knowing they are in the playoffs and that a win in the CCG gives them a bye, rather than playing for seeding. 

I don't see The Game ever being moved off of Thanksgiving weekend, but there would be some benefits to playing it in early October instead. 

29 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

What is the nicest hotel in Ann Arbor or Detroit?  Trying to make plans.  Thanks. 

Coming in from Detroit traffic is going to be a bitch going to the game. 94 has a bottle neck right before the stadium exit where 23 also joins the party. So I would recommend staying in Ann Arbor if you have the option. 

This is probably the best option but would book it now as every time I have checked it has been sold out. Literally on Campus so you can walk to everything once you are there. 

https://belltowerhotel.com/

I have never stayed at either of these places, but I have eaten at Weber's a handful of times and it has been great every time. 

https://www.webersannarbor.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like the Bell Tower is already sold out for Texas weekend. You may be able to call them and book one of their upgrades suites that aren't offered on the website. 

I have always wondered if they actually book rooms as literally every time i search for rooms they are booked. 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

If Oregon is 11-1 and already locked up for the B1G championship game, you would think that they would rest players knowing they are in the playoffs and that a win in the CCG gives them a bye, rather than playing for seeding.

Conference champions get an automatic bid, but are not guaranteed a bye. At least one conference champion will not get a bye each year given the number of conferences. Also, at-large selections could be among the top 4 seeds, which we saw with TCU last year (under a very different setup, but still...). So seeding will probably matter enough to keep teams from sitting their starters. Or at least enough that it is a rare occurrence.

Yeah being in the top 4 is going to make a huge difference. Not having to play a game and having more time to prepare will be definitely shown in the odds. One mock 2024 bracket had us 5 playing 12 Boise and then Georgia after that maybe to meet either Clemson or Michigan in the champ. Boise eh not too worried but a rested Georgia team and then another game for it all….that seems extremely easier for a team Iike Georgia in this scenario but I guess it creates more “Cinderella possibilities” 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

44 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Conference champions get an automatic bid, but are not guaranteed a bye. At least one conference champion will not get a bye each year given the number of conferences. Also, at-large selections could be among the top 4 seeds, which we saw with TCU last year (under a very different setup, but still...). So seeding will probably matter enough to keep teams from sitting their starters. Or at least enough that it is a rare occurrence.

I imagine that the pac2 is not going to get a bye next year. 

I thought the top 4 was the top 4 conf champions? Meaning they couldn't put 3 SEC teams in the top 4 on years where they have a ton of depth. 

Edited by Juicy

3 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

There’s some really dope shit in Detroit. Don’t let Juicy fuck with you on traffic it’s not that bad especially if you make the whole day of it in Ann Arbor and come early. 

20 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I imagine that the pac2 is not going to get a bye next year. 

I thought the top 4 was the top 4 conf champions? Meaning they couldn't put 3 SEC teams in the top 4 on years where they have a ton of depth. 

Never mind. I was wrong. The NCAA page doesn't say the top 4 champions get the top 4 seeds. However, the announcement did say that. So your original scenario could play out.

This doesn't say the top 4 spots are reserved for champs: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids

This one does: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-12-01/college-football-playoff-expand-12-teams-starting-2024-season

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

There’s some really dope shit in Detroit. Don’t let Juicy fuck with you on traffic it’s not that bad especially if you make the whole day of it in Ann Arbor and come early. 

I am assuming its a noon game..... so that puts the hurt on a late night in Detroit. But yes, Detroit is awesome these days. 

49 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I am assuming its a noon game..... so that puts the hurt on a late night in Detroit. But yes, Detroit is awesome these days. 

someone asking for "the nicest hotel in AA or Detroit" doesn't give a shit about riding in an Uber Black XL at 6 in the morning still drunk to get to the surly tailgate. lol

also - I may actually hire coaches to drive people from Detroit to AA to arrive by 8AM at the tailgate once I confirm location etc with RevelXP. 

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

someone asking for "the nicest hotel in AA or Detroit" doesn't give a shit about riding in an Uber Black XL at 6 in the morning still drunk to get to the surly tailgate. lol

also - I may actually hire coaches to drive people from Detroit to AA to arrive by 8AM at the tailgate once I confirm location etc with RevelXP. 

Fair enough, but also. The nicest hotel in AA or Detroit is also not the nicest hotel in LA or NY haha. $600-700 a night is a lot different than $2500 a night. 

If you want to have the coach swing out to White Lake and scoop me on the way I will take a the lumps and shit talking you guys can give. 

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

Never mind. I was wrong. The NCAA page doesn't say the top 4 champions get the top 4 seeds. However, the announcement did say that. So your original scenario could play out.

This doesn't say the top 4 spots are reserved for champs: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids

This one does: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-12-01/college-football-playoff-expand-12-teams-starting-2024-season

Its simple.  The top 4 champs get the byes.  Everyone else plays the first round.

I haven't heard specific discussion on whether the top 4 champs are seeded 1 to 4 or if they simply get the bye.  I suspect they are 1-4.  The fourth, regardless of whether they are ranked #4 or #14, will still get the toughest 1st round winner  in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Its simple.  The top 4 champs get the byes.  Everyone else plays the first round.

I haven't heard specific discussion on whether the top 4 champs are seeded 1 to 4 or if they simply get the bye.  I suspect they are 1-4.  The fourth, regardless of whether they are ranked #4 or #14, will still get the toughest 1st round winner  in the 2nd round.

yeah I guess that is the saving grace for the 12-1 conference runner up who crushed everyone but lost in their CCG. They will get any fluke champs in the second round, after their 5/12 matchup. 

The more I think about it, the more I don't love going to 12 teams. There is going to be some years where there are like 3 teams that have no business being in the playoffs and they are going to force matchups for the top teams to play well before the semi finals. 

I mean this year, Liberty obviously, but also Penn State would have been absolutely smoked in the playoffs. Ole Miss is a decent team, but come on. Same with Mizzou. 8 would have been plenty 

yeah I guess that is the saving grace for the 12-1 conference runner up who crushed everyone but lost in their CCG. They will get any fluke champs in the second round, after their 5/12 matchup. 
The more I think about it, the more I don't love going to 12 teams. There is going to be some years where there are like 3 teams that have no business being in the playoffs and they are going to force matchups for the top teams to play well before the semi finals. 
I mean this year, Liberty obviously, but also Penn State would have been absolutely smoked in the playoffs. Ole Miss is a decent team, but come on. Same with Mizzou. 8 would have been plenty 

Missouri probably gets stomped by a full power OsU.