Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

47 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

But, I do know that there is some concern about what’s going on with the Moody crowd. There was apparently some heartburn about how many Tech fans were able to get tickets. They are worried about it becoming the Erwin Center. 

Trying to pin that shit on Terry is a joke. Never in my lifetime has Texas had good basketball fans. When you're hired at Texas you're promised great resources but you're asked to perform in spite of culture and atmosphere not because of it. 

It appears to me that a lot of posters are losing their minds over a few bad games under a coach that they didn't want hired.

I'm with you in that expectations should be higher and that so far this team is failing them. 

I'm against anyone that wants this man fired. Give him two seasons. That's the least Texas could do after the Shaka travesty. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Never in my lifetime has Texas had good basketball fans

our fans aren’t the best, but they showed up and got loud when beard was here. it’s absolutely fair to blame the drop off in attendance and atmosphere on the HC.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 2

Fire him at the end of the year. He took Beards stacked team to the EE. I could have taken that team to the EE. CDC did the right thing to hire Terry as it would have been in poor taste to do otherwise. Terry's hiring was not a normal hire where you get 3 years minimum. He got his shot on the coattails of beards team. Now that he is failing, it's time to let the uncomfortable experiment end. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our fans aren’t the best, but they showed up and got loud when beard was here. it’s absolutely fair to blame the drop off in attendance and atmosphere on the HC.

I just want to comment and say that I'm watching the first Pirates movie on Disney+ right now and it's fantastic 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Trying to pin that shit on Terry is a joke. Never in my lifetime has Texas had good basketball fans. When you're hired at Texas you're promised great resources but you're asked to perform in spite of culture and atmosphere not because of it. 

It appears to me that a lot of posters are losing their minds over a few bad games under a coach that they didn't want hired.

I'm with you in that expectations should be higher and that so far this team is failing them. 

I'm against anyone that wants this man fired. Give him two seasons. That's the least Texas could do after the Shaka travesty. 

Wait let me just repost my shit.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

@MotownHorn @ztejas both of you gave this post a ‘fuck you’ rep. would either of you like to retort?

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

he’s had 28 years to prove his worth. maybe we should give dillon mitchell some time to prove his worth as a three point shooter. maybe IT Horton should be given time to prove his worth as our primary scoring threat. maybe Gavin Perryman should start. or maybe all of these people have proven who they are and what they are capable of and we should all acknowledge and recognize these facts like mature, reasonable adults.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

fire whoever the fuck gave him the ridiculous contract as well. i guess i understand the pressure hire him, but it’s not like others were beating down the door to hire the dipshit from us. no idea why wouldn’t offer him the bare minimum for 3-4 years with low as shit buyout. if he walked at the offer, we should have just giggled ourselves to sleep and hired a real fucking coach

shit  fuck 

3 mil is not outlandish in this day and age especially considering our resources 

• Hook 'Em 2

Our basketball fans suck. Always have. Rodney Terry should be let go after the season. CDC/next HC need to figure gameday and basketball crowd out.

Basketball isn’t a sport that needs a multi year rebuild/analysis to determine if a coach has it or not. It’s blatantly obvious here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not jumping on the fire Terry bandwagon, but damn that was a terrible loss losing to the worst team in the conference regardless of where the game was played. Any reasonable human being wouldn't expect similar results to last season with the experience and production the team lost, but this season has been underwhelming up to this point with a stinker of a schedule and a lack of wins against quality competition.

• Hook 'Em 3

We did this to ourselves.  Had we not hired him, he would be lucky to get another UTEP type job.  He’s a below average head coach.  I’ll check back in on Texas basketball when we hire a coach who is at least average.  

He needs to put Beard and his crazy girl on his Christmas card list as they basically made him $15 million.  

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Which makes letting Beard go even more maddening. Beard knew how to build that type of culture. 

They should have suspended him the remainder of the season instead of firing him. No one cares, gives a shit, or has mentioned anything Beard did a year ago 

The Beard thing reminds me of something a I read in a book in grad school:  “A year from now, nobody will care.”

It’s been 1 year and no one—not one person outside of Texas fans clutching their pearls—give 2 shits what happened. 

Pearl clutching was definitely part of it, but i also get not continuing to entrust your program to somebody that has clearly ignored your warnings and violates the trust. They probably figured it was only a matter of time until it happened again.

Either way, i was never into hiring Terry. That's just not how it is done. He wasn't an up and comer that showed promise. He was a known quantity that did well in a favorable situation. That is where i was disappointed in Texas-- listening to outsiders who had no clue telling them how to run things. The logic was fucking stupid, too. "Texas absolutely has to hire Rodney Terry, it would be shameful if they don't". Like ok, if he's so great, he must have people calling him left and right, let someone else hire him. I would have welcomed it.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, MoJames said:

RIP mens basketball.

Fuck you Beard for ruining this.

Beard fucked up, maybe with a lot of help from psychowench but there lots and lots of fuck ups that can coach well. And we are all fuck ups to varying degrees. There was not enough time and thought given to this situation and now we are where we are. The longer RT is around the deeper this pit of despair will become.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I remember some of our former players like TJ Ford and media personalities like Dick Vitale were putting a lot of pressure on the administration to hire RT. Some posters here were saying they obviously knew better than us fans. Do they? Someone should ask TJ and Dick Vitale what they thought about RT's coaching now. I hate it when former players are so short sighted that they would help their buddy get a job at the expense of the program.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pearl clutching was definitely part of it, but i also get not continuing to entrust your program to somebody that has clearly ignored your warnings and violates the trust. They probably figured it was only a matter of time until it happened again.

Either way, i was never into hiring Terry. That's just not how it is done. He wasn't an up and comer that showed promise. He was a known quantity that did well in a favorable situation. That is where i was disappointed in Texas-- listening to outsiders who had no clue telling them how to run things. The logic was fucking stupid, too. "Texas absolutely has to hire Rodney Terry, it would be shameful if they don't". Like ok, if he's so great, he must have people calling him left and right, let someone else hire him. I would have welcomed it.

It was an emotional decision not a rational one by whomever . I called out CDC earlier but reality is probably different. Likely he knew that RT wouldn’t work, but others that sign his checks laid the pressure on and perhaps that wasn’t the hill worth dying on for him. Just my opinion based upon other hires etc. Complete guess.

CDC’s only play at the time would have been to discreetly bribe UTEP to rehire RT. 

He needed another Marquette to jump on the grenade  

My comments last year were that we were most likely watching the ceiling of Texas with RT and would all be downhill from there. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

At this point in Beards 1st year our record was similar. We’d also lost to every team we’d played with a pulse. While we played at WVU later in the season, we beat that shitty 16-17 WVU team by 1 whole point in Morgantown.

That team had the core of last years roster, which according to you all my 4 year old could coach to the Elite 8.

No one was calling for Saint Chris Beards head at that point in time in January 2022

In short, shut the fuck up and see how the season goes. Quit being pussies over one bad loss. It’s like some of you WANT us to lose so you can beat your chests on the internet about how “smart” you are.

• Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I remember some of our former players like TJ Ford and media personalities like Dick Vitale were putting a lot of pressure on the administration to hire RT. Some posters here were saying they obviously knew better than us fans. Do they? Someone should ask TJ and Dick Vitale what they thought about RT's coaching now. I hate it when former players are so short sighted that they would help their buddy get a job at the expense of the program.

Players, for the most part, think it is all about recruiting chops.  always have.  At some point you have to have a competent coach and it might be even more important now than ever with the portal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Beard was operating without a year’s worth of coaching over 50% of the roster and starters like RT. 

exactly, the whole point of Terry was that he was going to steady the ship recruiting wise and we'd be good, not a rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

It was an emotional decision not a rational one by whomever . I called out CDC earlier but reality is probably different. Likely he knew that RT wouldn’t work, but others that sign his checks laid the pressure on and perhaps that wasn’t the hill worth dying on for him. Just my opinion based upon other hires etc. Complete guess.

hence the 3M dollar a year salary.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Someone should ask TJ and Dick Vitale what they thought about RT's coaching now.

At this point they would double down and say you need to give the man time.   They won't admit it's time for a change until hard rock bottom is reached and the program is in a coma.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

At this point they would double down and say you need to give the man time.   They won't admit it's time for a change until hard rock bottom is reached and the program is in a coma.

Exactly. They would say he needs 4 years more to build. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

At this point in Beards 1st year our record was similar. We’d also lost to every team we’d played with a pulse. While we played at WVU later in the season, we beat that shitty 16-17 WVU team by 1 whole point in Morgantown.

That team had the core of last years roster, which according to you all my 4 year old could coach to the Elite 8.

No one was calling for Saint Chris Beards head at that point in time in January 2022

In short, shut the fuck up and see how the season goes. Quit being pussies over one bad loss. It’s like some of you WANT us to lose so you can beat your chests on the internet about how “smart” you are.

Beard had been to and come within a minute or so of winning a National Championship.  RT had a very average record at a couple of middling schools.  Beard has a career winning percentage of 72%.  Terry is 54%.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Seems like an indictment more than an excuse for RT

Hunter, Disu, Mitchell, Brock -4 starters

32 of the 41 points came from one guy.  who had been a net negative through 3/4 of the game. 

Terry and Haith should quit trying to coach offense.  we should just let that guy either jack up an early shot clock 3 or pass to Disu and tell Mitchell to clean up the offensive boards for putback dunks.  It would be better than the shit we are rolling out there that is supposed to be an offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shaka also had his defenders on this board even after he sucked the life out of this program. It's a bizarre fan behavior that I can never understand. One coach (Beard) was rebuilding the program after years of mediocrity under Shakablaka and another is coming off an elite eight season with many starters back and several new experienced additions in this age of NIL and portal. To equate the two situations is fucking dumb or disingenuous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Shaka also had his defenders on this board even after he sucked the life out of this program. It's a bizarre fan behavior that I can never understand. One coach (Beard) was rebuilding the program after years of mediocrity under Shakablaka and another is coming off an elite eight season with many starters back and several new experienced additions in this age of NIL and portal. To equate the two situations is fucking dumb or disingenuous. 

Guilty.

I defended both Shaka and Charlie. Most thought it was because they are Black and so am I. That might have had something to do with it.

But…it came a time where I had enough and said on this board they both needed to go. And to the surprise of some people here, I was never advocating for RT because I knew his background as a HC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pancho said:

Guilty.

I defended both Shaka and Charlie. Most thought it was because they are Blavk and so am I. That might have had something to do with it.

But…it came a time where I had brought and said on this board they both needed to go. And to the surprise of some people here, I was never advocating for RT because I knew his background as a HC. 

I don't blame you for supporting those guys and wanting to see them succeed, if you're black. We all have our biases that affect our decision making and thought process without having any malicious intent. I believe TJ probably similar motivation. All players, current or former, have biased intent for wanting a coach to be hired. Fans on the other hand are only driven by wanting to hire someone who we think could win. We may get it wrong but we have usually have the most unbiased opinion.

14 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

fire whoever the fuck gave him the ridiculous contract as well.

Wait, you want us to fire CDC?  That would be the dumbest thing ever.  I don't know if you've noticed, but most of our sports are doing really well.

3 hours ago, El Squared said:

Again, I may be misremembering, but weren't there a handful of ex players supporting the hiring of RT?  I can understand not wanting to piss them off - to an extent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

All I remember is you even remotely suggested Beard should stay and just be suspended, or that the school was acting rash, you were negged into oblivion. 

There were posters who never post in this forum coming in whining and complaining every hour about why hadn’t Beard been fired yet. Those same posters haven’t posted in the basketball forum since.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

All I said was let the season play out instead of being a pussy about one bad loss

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

All I said was let the season play out instead of being a pussy about one bad loss

Perhaps it's time to consider that you might be the pussy here with your insistence on hiring RT last year and now doubling down when he turns out to be what most rational people expected him to be. This is the position I would also expect TJ Ford and others to take who wanted RT to be our HC. For some people, especially if you are in a teaching profession, it's hard to admit when they are wrong. Sure we can let the season play out and the conclusion will still be the same. You can even give him 5-10 years and it will still be the same outcome.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

What a stupid post

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1