Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

24 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Whether you like the outcome of the season or not, like all coaches, Coach Terry was responsible for the squad assembled.

Agreed. Regardless of what one thinks of Hunter, to start the year with no second PG was a huge mistake. Max/Weaver are not point guards and thinking Horton could handle would be grounds for termination.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

To be fair, I only subscribed to KenPom because it seems to be the Bible around here. Sorry if our defensive improvements in the last week suddenly made the data worthless. emoji1787.png

Is he the Max Emfinger of basketball?

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Whether you like the outcome of the season or not, like all coaches, Coach Terry was responsible for the squad assembled.

I think the squad assembled will be a lot more on RT next year than this year. 

He wasn't able to recruit HS last year due to the interim tag, Beards top 2 recruits bounced on him late, and Beard assembled the rest of the team minus the transfers (and Brock).

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Seems like he’s sowing the field for the Kentucky job. The Cal criticisms, while valid, reeked of an ulterior motive. 

He’s 62 and had a very clean break with Villanova. Anything could be on the table. I do like him on TV, and he’d be fine staying put. 

I don't think Jay Wright has any interest in coaching in the NIL/portal era but I could be wrong.

Dude's a 62 year old multimillionaire with a solid, well paying, easy gig that requires him to do just a little bit of work 3-4 months out of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like our offense is now #29 and our defense is #30 on KenPom after yesterdays games.  So I retract my argument that our offense and defense were the same.  Our offense is indeed better than our defense.

Carry on.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Edited by HookEm

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

on the final post game show on saturday the entire desk made a really big deal about how everyone wants jay wright to coach their team and how it’s not going to happen, so stop asking.

Did they specifically mention Texas, because I think he would come to Texas only

• Haha 3

“I feel like [Coach Terry] really saved basketball for me,” Disu said, per the Austin American-Statesman. “I was in a tough spot that first year here at Texas, and even going into the second year was tough. But when RT took over, things started to kind of shift for me and my love for the game kind of starting to return. I’m so, so grateful for him for that. I appreciate him more than I can describe.”

Disu added, “He gave me just a different style of coaching that was a little different from the previous one (coach). That really helped me to get back to being me, on and off the court.”

Article

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

“I feel like [Coach Terry] really saved basketball for me,” Disu said, per the Austin American-Statesman. “I was in a tough spot that first year here at Texas, and even going into the second year was tough. But when RT took over, things started to kind of shift for me and my love for the game kind of starting to return. I’m so, so grateful for him for that. I appreciate him more than I can describe.”

Disu added, “He gave me just a different style of coaching that was a little different from the previous one (coach). That really helped me to get back to being me, on and off the court.”

Interesting quote that gives a lot of insight into the program. Not really that surprising, and is kind of a double edged sword.  The team clearly likes playing for RT, play very hard, and seem to (generally) improve in March. 

On the other hand, it is clear that Beard was a much tougher coach as I'm sure we all appreciate.  That will give you a more disciplined and mentally tough team, but it can burn out some players.  You can also expect more attrition.

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Interesting quote that gives a lot of insight into the program. Not really that surprising, and is kind of a double edged sword.  The team clearly likes playing for RT, play very hard, and seem to (generally) improve in March. 

On the other hand, it is clear that Beard was a much tougher coach as I'm sure we all appreciate.  That will give you a more disciplined and mentally tough team, but it can burn out some players.  You can also expect more attrition.

Beard is known to, overtime, wear on administrators, players and wives.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

on the final post game show on saturday the entire desk made a really big deal about how everyone wants jay wright to coach their team and how it’s not going to happen, so stop asking.

he's just driving the price up.   any pictures of Jay's hotel room drapes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

20 hours ago, Satchel said:

Beard is known to, overtime, wear on administrators, players and wives.

Sure. The guy doesn't have an off switch. 

There are a lot of qualities that are overrated as far as I'm concerned regarding head coaches at UT. "Classy" is definitely one. "Nice" would be another. I'm not saying I don't want a head coach that's classy or nice. If they win national championships, I'm all for it. But it takes a uniquely driven human being to be able to compete at the highest levels, and those driven human beings aren't always the most joyful to be around. 

The fact is, Chris Beard is no longer an option. I hope he fails miserably in his coaching career, outside of murdering someone or some tragedy of that ilk. But that's less to do with him, and more about my failings as a human being and how I entertain myself following sports. If you were a former head coach at Texas, I want you to fail at your subsequent jobs, regardless of why the school and coach parted ways. That's just how it is. No exceptions.

But he was singularly fitted to coach at UT for a number of reasons. He's driven to electrify the student body, and the fans in general, in ways other coaches are not. He's an alum, and was proud (and compelling when he did so) to cite that over and over again. I found him entertaining on a personal level, and I know I'm not the only one.

None of that matters if he can't coach, but he can. 

How much he wears on administrators, players, wives, and girlfriends, doesn't even register for me regarding how much I'd want someone as a head coach. Saban famously said he preferred college over the NFL in part because by the time the players were tired of him they'd moved on.

If Terry can make it to the second weekend on a somewhat regular basis, as far as I'm concerned he should be able to stay as long as he wants. I don't think that's going to happen, in which case he will have to go. I'm glad Disu found his joy regarding basketball in part because of Terry becoming the head coach, but in terms of annual performance reviews, that's a checkbox pretty far down the list. 

I sure hope it's not a critical part of the criteria for the next head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I agree with just about all of that.  I don't think being "nice" is a criteria at all.  That said, recruiting matters a ton. Retention of your elite talent matters a ton. Motivating and in-season improvement matter a tremendous amount.  Handling the media and donors and assistants matters a lot too.  Being nice is great if you can leverage it to help with all that.  But you can also be an asshole and do all of that well too.

mcdermott is a tourney choker who is 0-6 lifetime against rick barnes. pass. the current coach at mcdermott’s former school might be the leader in the clubhouse for a realistic replacement. of course that’s 2-3 years down the road, so who knows what the landscape will look like at that time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

ok so the current list looks like this:

1)jay wright 

2)billy donovan

3)michael malone 

4)becky hammon 

5)geno auriema 

look about right?

Wow, no Dawn Staley. I see how it is 

Can Caitlin Clark play four more years in college on a men's team? I watched her play last night to watch her shooting prowess and came away really impressed with her passing and decision-making. I'm no basketball expert but does it seem like she's a lot smarter than many of our players and that her team overall was better coached than UT? 

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Can Caitlin Clark play four more years in college on a men's team? I watched her play last night to watch her shooting prowess and came away really impressed with her passing and decision-making. I'm no basketball expert but does it seem like she's a lot smarter than many of our players and that her team overall was better coached than UT? 

She would be lucky to score 4 points per game in the men's league. I am sure you were joking though. lol

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

She would be lucky to score 4 points per game in the men's league. I am sure you were joking though. lol

Yes, I was joking about her playing men's basketball. I was not joking about her court acumen being superior to many of our players and her team being better coached than the UT men's team. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not a retort to your assertion, but we'll find out when she accepts her $5million Big3 contract.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

mcdermott is a tourney choker who is 0-6 lifetime against rick barnes. pass. the current coach at mcdermott’s former school might be the leader in the clubhouse for a realistic replacement. of course that’s 2-3 years down the road, so who knows what the landscape will look like at that time.

In the past four seasons McDermott has won a game in the tournament every season, been to 3 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight.  I wouldn't thumb my nose at him.

22 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

In the past four seasons McDermott has won a game in the tournament every season, been to 3 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight.  I wouldn't thumb my nose at him.

Yeah, but he's 0-6 against Rick Barnes.

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, SL Xpress said:

Saban famously said he preferred college over the NFL in part because by the time the players were tired of him they'd moved on.

Not that it matters, but the average NFL career is 3.3 years.  You know, roughly like the average college career.  (Obviously there are plenty of NFL players who stick around longer, I just found the quote amusing.)

greg mcdermott:

•is 60 years old

•has spent his entire life in the midwest 

•has been a college HC for 30 years, 23 of them in D-1

•has made the tourney 12 times

•went 59-68 (18-46) at iowa state

•has two career conference titles (one MVC title, one big east co-title)

•has a .630 career win %

•has a 10-12 tourney record 

•made his first ever S16 in 2021

•isn’t leaving creighton 

•is not who we should be going after 

• Hook 'Em 2

it’s always been kind of wild to me how our fan base seems to rotate back and forth between this mentality:

and then right into a totally opposite mentality where they think that everyone should be thrilled to have rodney terry, and anyone who wants us to hire someone better is a bad fan who hates RT. this video should be the standard. in fact the content of this video *is* the standard at Texas. there is no reason for us not to hire the best of the best, or at least die trying. i love and appreciate RT, and i’ll always root for Texas to do well, but i’ll also always share sark’s mentality re: major texas coaching hires. 

another thing on the subject of this wishy washy nature of our fan base: 

rick and shaka won a lot of regular season games, and in the case of rick he was one of the best tourney coaches in the country for a decade. one of the 10 best coaches (period) of the aughts in fact. but he eventually stopped advancing in the tourney, and not only did we fire him, but a ridiculous portion of our fan base still hates him and talks shit about him to this day. 

our fans have made it clear that exceeding what rick barnes did at Texas is now our standard, and yet we’re also supposed to be happy with a stop-gap coach like RT. look, i’ve enjoyed going to the second weekend two years in a row, and i’ll co tj is to enjoy whatever success we have, but RT is not going to build something special and long term here, he’s just not. so while going to the second weekend of the tourney is enjoyable in real time, A)the regular season aka 90% of our season wasn’t all that fun, and B)we’re just spinning our wheels until RT leaves and we (hopefully) bring in a long-term replacement who builds a nationally competitive program and who stays here for 15-20+ years.

so yeah, it’s odd to me, the disconnect our fans have where they think the program should be a perennial power, yet they get upset when someone suggests that we’re wasting our time on that front as long as RT is here. it’s possible to like and root for RT while still acknowledging that he’s not a long term answer. i’ll enjoy and appreciate his time here, but i am still looking ahead towards his replacement, because this program is not going to take the next step on RT’s watch. 

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and then right into a totally opposite mentality where they think that everyone should be thrilled to have rodney terry, and anyone who wants us to hire someone better is a bad fan who hates RT.

You need to get checked for syphilis.  Almost nobody has this attitude.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Literally nobody was thrilled with the hire of RT. Literally nobody is currently thrilled with him. Literally everybody knows that we can do better.

The only argument is whether there is any chance we fire him anytime soon. I personally don’t think there is. He would have to win only like 10 games next year to be fired - and he isn’t going to. We are going to sign a very good haul in the portal to go with our excellent HS class and win 20+ games again.

And honestly my take is the most doom and gloom take you can have. Thinking we are going to suck isn’t doom and gloom. It is actually an optimistic take because there is hope we can hire an elite coach. My “good but not great” take is the worst case scenario because we may not move on for 6-8 years.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Next season is everything for RT. Miss the tourney or be a last 4 in and bounced etc, the following season will be full on hot seat. 

Finish top 3 in conference and make the sweet 16 and he gets an extension. 

I agree with this. If he misses the tourney, the bar is going to be pretty high the following season, maybe Sweet 16 to keep his job.