Which is better - Sam’s or Costco?

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

/csb

I think I told this story before, but I was on a consulting project in NW Arkansas a few years ago where I spent a considerable amount of time (think, 3-4 days every week for months) at one of the big corporations NOT named Walmart in that NW Arkansas area. As you can imagine, there are no Costcos as that is Sam's gangland. And to be fair, the Sam's in that area are the flagship footprints-- super nice and higher end, etc.

The funniest thing though was that over time, I started to notice that all the men in that office dressed eerily similar. At first it wasn't blatant, like they weren't wearing the exact same Greg Norman shark polo in the exact same color with the exact same Haggar travel tech work pants and Eddie Bauer loafers, but over time it was very obvious that Sam's was the official Fashion House of even the upper middle class of NW Arkansas and the official outfitter of the white collar organizations in that area and everyone wore the exact same boring, middle-of-the-road brands/styles of clothes on a rotating color basis and it was quite hilarious. 

I'm struggling to think of anywhere closer than St. Louis or Dallas to get some non-generic clothes.  I assume those guys gave no shits.

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Costco is better for personal stuff. For commercial/wholesale I prefer Sam’s by a significant margin. 

Sam’s caters to the Walmart crowd and the restaurant/bodega/self service business crowd. 

Costco caters to the big brand crowd but with more limited selection and higher base quality. 

Have you been to a Costco business center?   It absolutely caters to the bodega/restaurant crowd.

Have both within 5 minute drive. There are a few things I go to Costco for but 80 percent of the stuff I get at these places (toilet paper, bottled water, tide pods, cascade, etc) I get from Sam's simply because it's so much faster to get in and out when you can scan and pay on your phone then skip the checkout lines. Why Costco hasn't invested in this yet is beyond me. 

Gas is the same at both places. Produce is surprisingly good quality at both considering Walmarts have shit produce. Sam's does a shrimp cevice that's become a family dinner staple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Why Costco hasn't invested in this yet is beyond me. 

It’s tough to keep your employee friendly rep if you come through with a big technology axe. 

The simmering conflict over unionization may be the tipping point. 

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm struggling to think of anywhere closer than St. Louis or Dallas to get some non-generic clothes.  I assume those guys gave no shits.

Memphis for the color! https://lanskybros.com

In all seriousness it’s interesting how cultural things like that are and effects of sphere of influences. I’m similarly reminded when doing time in Farmington Hills (tony suburb of Detroit), how you’d see nary a Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. but because of the immense gravity of GM employees, shareholders, friends and family with vested interest, the streets were heavy with Escalades and Corvettes with the expressing luxury through vehicles.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Only 1 in San Diego, but it looks like there's about a dozen in greater L.A./Inland Empire area

Damn I haven’t seen a Sam’s anywhere out there. Not sure what age achievement I’ve unlocked but costco clothes are solid imo

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Only 1 in San Diego, but it looks like there's about a dozen in greater L.A./Inland Empire area

55 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Makes sense-- Sam's is HQ'ed in the South and grew footprint in South and Midwest first. Costco being HQ'ed out of Seattle I think it is, obviously would have the larger and older footprint on the West Coast.

Price Club was the So Cal warehouse store until they merged with Costco.  The OG Price Club (now Costco) is in San Diego 

On 1/18/2024 at 7:13 PM, tx 3 putt said:

they put out an above avg golf shirt

just left costco, the milf’s were out in full force 

maybe you should get a digital camera when you are Costco, because you know we have rules and such. It isn't like you are new around here.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:17 PM, Hermanator said:

Have both within 5 minute drive. There are a few things I go to Costco for but 80 percent of the stuff I get at these places (toilet paper, bottled water, tide pods, cascade, etc) I get from Sam's simply because it's so much faster to get in and out when you can scan and pay on your phone then skip the checkout lines. Why Costco hasn't invested in this yet is beyond me. 

Gas is the same at both places. Produce is surprisingly good quality at both considering Walmarts have shit produce. Sam's does a shrimp cevice that's become a family dinner staple. 

Sam's scan-and-go is fantastic.  Surprised more people do not use it.

Thanks for the ceviche recommendation.  Never saw it there before, but picked up some today.  Quite good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2024 at 11:17 PM, Hermanator said:

Sam's does a shrimp cevice that's become a family dinner staple. 

Sam’s has great seafood. I used to get a bunch of Costco salmon and shrimp (both fresh and frozen) but there was a noticeable drop in quality over the past year and a half. I took a chance with Sam’s shrimp and salmon and it’s actually pretty good.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, Wally Fairway said:

In general I like the quality and selection of items better at Costco, use their travel services (mainly for rental cars) and have used the link to Zurich for life insurance. Sam's feels exactly like what is is - an extension of Wal-Mart, locally the one closest to my work closed years ago, so now it is further away and part of a retail property with too much traffic.
Costco return policy is the best, I didn't know what to get tWife so I went to Costco and spent more than I should have on Ipad, kitchen counter, top appliances, couple other seasonal items, and she said it was too much .... so returned it was. Win/Win

Also - there is another option, BJ's Warehouse opened a location less than 2 miles from my house, and it is smaller and seems the brands I like, but their gas is inexpensive, not quite a low a Costco with the credit card rebate, but It isn't worth it to drive 15 miles to get gas.  I wouldn't stop at a BJ's, as I'd rather go to a grocery, or somewhere else for electronics, etc

I easily make back my Costco membership cost on just rental car and hotel savings for a few trips each year, everything else including gas savings just gravy on top.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Costco pork in particular always cooks weird and unsatisfying. Sam's wins there. Sam's has beef dino ribs in cryopack that they crosscut on site into galbi slices, Costco galbi is precut and vac packed. Costco beef is a tad cheaper and usually has more out on display for choosing the perfect steak.

Sam's definitely has a lot more individual packed snack and food items for the bodega resale guys. Cheese cracker sandwiches, single flavor Quaker pouches instead of the 3flavor assortment pack, many more varieties of chips, pretzel mix, etc.

Sam's has a lot more in the "ready to eat" and "heat to eat" items.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:07 AM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I easily make back my Costco membership cost on just rental car and hotel savings for a few trips each year, everything else including gas savings just gravy on top.

I use autoslash and it beats costco pricing about half the time.

A dozen roses cost me a whopping $18.38 (tax included) at Sam’s.  Their selection of flowers was overwhelming and I couldn’t believe how good the flowers looked.  My dudes, you are missing out if you don’t go to Sam’s the next time the occasion calls for flowers.  

image.jpeg

Edited by Harrison Stafford

Got into the Costco game yesterday for the dog food prices, but we shopped around. Got my first look and later taste of their enormous $5 rotisserie chickens.  That’s a deal, friends.  

funny though that I noticed the appliances because we just bought a w/d set, and when I looked we had gotten a better deal at the Lowe’s sale by a couple hundred bucks.  Don’t get the extra year warranty though, for what that might be worth.  Might be that I caught it at one of the biggest appliance sale holiday weekends. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 6:15 PM, Zepol87 said:

We do the rotisserie chickens on every trip. From 1 we get gyro night, chicken flautas and a little left for a salad. Great deal 

Rotisserie chicken in a pita is not a gyro.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Think both are doing the rotisserie game now. We have both and I haven’t been disappointed with the food at either.  

They've both been doing it for 15+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Rotisserie chicken in a pita is not a gyro.

I'm sure he's saving up for his own vertical spit.  Bonus: pastor tacos and shawarma.  Let's be super authentic instead of just trying to feed our families!

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure he's saving up for his own vertical spit.  Bonus: pastor tacos and shawarma.  Let's be super authentic instead of just trying to feed our families!

He can eat whatever the fuck he wants and call it whatever he likes....I'm merely pointing out that rotisserie chicken in a pita is not a "gyro", just like rotisserie chicken in a tortilla is not "chicken fajitas" and balled up chunks of rotisserie chicken dipped in McD's BBQ sauce is not "Chicken McNuggets"

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

He can eat whatever the fuck he wants and call it whatever he likes....I'm merely pointing out that rotisserie chicken in a pita is not a "gyro", just like rotisserie chicken in a tortilla is not "chicken fajitas" and balled up chunks of rotisserie chicken dipped in McD's BBQ sauce is not "Chicken McNuggets"

User name checks out.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't a claim of authenticity.  Try the decaf, or maybe some pot.

Gyro, a Greek dish of roasted meat served in a pita, usually with tomato, onion, and tzatziki, a cold, creamy sauce made from yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and various spices. Gyro meat—typically lamb, beef, pork, or chicken—is roasted on a vertical skewer and sliced off in thin, crispy shavings as it cooks. The dish is popular around the world, and many variations exist.

From Brittanica. 🤷‍♀️

24 minutes ago, safe sex said:

From Brittanica. 🤷‍♀️

Next time just google "gyro meat recipe/marinade" which normally includes garlic, oregano, cumin, marjoram, ground rosemary, ground thyme, ground black pepper and sea salt....i.e., not what you find on a Sam's/Costco rotisserie chicken.

I'm confused.  I could have sworn Sam's and CostCo marinated their rotisserie chicken with authentic Greek gyro herbs and spices before cooking.  Dream shattered.

Here's an idea:  maybe use a few of those flavors to amp up a tzatziki sauce?  Serve with some cucumbers, tomatoes, and feta on pita?  No?  Sacrilege?  For fuck's sake.  He's feeding a family on "Gyro night" which is pretty much like "Taco Tuesday" or "Fuck It I'm Exhausted Pizza Friday".

• Like 1

This thread now pertains to my interests because, after living only near Costco stores for the past 20 years, I'll be moving to a location that has both a Sam's and a Costco in close proximity.  The two stores are within a half mile of each other.  Hell, there's even a Wal-Mart close by, too, even though I have vowed to never step foot in a Wal-Mart again.    

Time to get the Sam's Club membership, I guess, even though I'm not a fan of the Walton family.  

Edited by Carl Spackler

On 1/20/2024 at 8:51 AM, Wally Fairway said:

maybe you should get a digital camera when you are Costco, because you know we have rules and such. It isn't like you are new around here.

Odds are very high he made his post on a device that has a built in digital camera.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:21 PM, Carl Spackler said:

This thread now pertains to my interests because, after living only near Costco stores for the past 20 years, I'll be moving to a location that has both a Sam's and a Costco in close proximity.  The two stores are within a half mile of each other.  Hell, there's even a Wal-Mart close by, too, even though I have vowed to never step foot in a Wal-Mart again.    

Time to get the Sam's Club membership, I guess, even though I'm not a fan of the Walton family.  

Sam's Club memberships are often on "sale".  Like $50 for the membership, but you get a $20 gift card and a free chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA:  T mobile has a "Tuesday" promotion where they  give away chicken nuggets or Little Ceasar's breadsticks or similar bullshit.

Today it's Sam's membership for 20 bucks.  It's on the "T life" app.

And, either next week or the week after, they will give any tmobile subscriber a fee MLB network subscription, so all y'all can watch shohei.