Super Bowl LVII - Las Vegas

tx 3 putt

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He didn’t even play his rookie year. That’s part of the luck he had. He sure as fuck wasn’t a great QB coming out of Tech. He had intangibles but he was basically every tech QB ever at that point. Reid 100% developed him when he was back to Alex smith as a rookie. 

That's just not correct. He was not "like every Tech QB ever". I watched that dude as a Soph and knew he was special. He threw lasers all over the field to scrub receivers. He was the literal reason i would tune in to watch a 5-7 football team. He threw for 700+ yards against OU and his team lost.

You're just so fucking far off it's hilarious. Go watch the guy's college highlights. It's an absolute show. He should have been the first pick in the draft.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

No one ever paid attention to the analytics of it, but now some coaches are starting to see. Last year I remember 2 games where the winner took the ball first, I’d never seen that before. 

https://thedailycougar.com/2022/09/05/dana-holgorsen-analytics-take-ball-first-overtime/

NFL playoffs and NCAA OT rules are not the same so the analytics don’t apply. 

Of course a good coach will think about rest and momentum, but the question is this:

In sudden death do you choose to defend or go on offense. 

It’s any easy choice. 

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's just not correct. He was not "like every Tech QB ever". I watched that dude as a Soph and knew he was special. He threw lasers all over the field to scrub receivers. He was the literal reason i would tune in to watch a 5-7 football team. He threw for 700+ yards against OU and his team lost.

You're just so fucking far off it's hilarious. Go watch the guy's college highlights. It's an absolute show. He should have been the first pick in the draft.

He never looked great and never looked as good as he does in the nfl in college. 

And it’s funny to read all the responses about how the Swift stuff isn’t a big deal. Enjoy all of next season when she’s shoved down your throat even more and the league puts the Chiefs in the SB again. And you’re insane if you think the league isn’t going to try and cash in on more female viewers. Look for more culture war stuff, and more rule changes to make the game even more less violent and aggressive, and more feminine. 

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He didn’t even play his rookie year. That’s part of the luck he had. He sure as fuck wasn’t a great QB coming out of Tech. He had intangibles but he was basically every tech QB ever at that point. Reid 100% developed him when he was back to Alex smith as a rookie. 

These debates are fucking stupid, it worked out well for both of them that they came together when they did. Neither would have done what they did the last 5 years without the other, but they both would have likely been successful. They just wouldn’t have been at this level.

As far as the OT decisions, this isn’t college or high school or the regular season. It was the right call by Shanahan. Your team had to score a TD either way against Mahomes, it was best to give the D a rest and have the ball on the 3rd series. When they didn’t get the TD, it was over.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He never looked great and never looked as good as he does in the nfl in college. 

He was the only good player on those teams.

You know what, fuck it you're right. He's just like every other Tech QB. If only Andy Reid had drafted BJ Symons or Graham Harrell. He'd have 9 super bowls by now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also holy fuck at the idea that Mahomes “was like every other Tech QB”. They haven’t had an athlete like that at QB before or since. I still remember his hail mary attempt at the end of a game against TCU. Threw it 40 yards in the air while a defender hanging on to his leg was taking him to the ground. I’d never seen a college QB throw it that far without the use of his lower half. You knew he was different.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And it’s funny to read all the responses about how the Swift stuff isn’t a big deal. Enjoy all of next season when she’s shoved down your throat even more and the league puts the Chiefs in the SB again. And you’re insane if you think the league isn’t going to try and cash in on more female viewers. Look for more culture war stuff, and more rule changes to make the game even more less violent and aggressive, and more feminine. 

Dammit you Taylor!  I'm not gonna watch sports anymore.  The world is going to miss me.

• Haha 1

Just now, Helobious said:

Also holy fuck at the idea that Mahomes “was like every other Tech QB”. They haven’t had an athlete like that at QB before or since. I still remember his hail mary attempt at the end of a game against TCU. Threw it 40 yards in the air while a defender hanging on to his leg was taking him to the ground. I’d never seen a college QB throw it that far without the use of his lower half. You knew he was different.

I was watching that game with a group of friends, and they were all saying "no chance he can get this to the end zone". I was familiar with his work and bet them that he could, they were literally in awe at how easily he flinged that thing to the end zone.

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Listen to this guy. His track record with predictions is spot on.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I was watching that game with a group of friends, and they were all saying "no chance he can get this to the end zone". I was familiar with his work and bet them that he could, they were literally in awe at how easily he flinged that thing to the end zone.

*flung

(flang, flanged, flunged……. Awww, who cares?)

😉

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Everybody knows personal fouls, targeting, and concussion protocols have always been about Taylor Swift.

• Haha 2

I don’t think Helo started out doing a bit all the time, but he has definitely evolved into doing a bit all the time.   

It used to feel like, “hey, I’ve got this crazy opinion that I’ll toss out to the group.”    Now it feels like, “what’s the craziest possible take I can toss out to the group to get a reaction.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Reading this thread this morning...

Kyle Shanahan - I don't know.  3 Super Bowls as a play caller and he can't put the dagger in the chest when it matters most.  Do you blame him?  Purdy's inexperience?  Or does it just come down to Mr. Chris Jones and the KC D wanting it more when it truly counted?  KC D did a good job taking away Kittle and limiting other playmakers all game too. 

Personally, I have to wonder if last night IS the proof\nail in the coffin that he does not have the ability to close when it matters the most.

I did enjoy the Swift shots last night in huge part because Blake Lively was there.  Nothing against Ms. Swift.  I do think it is cool for you Dad's that got to experience watching the game with your daughters.  My daughters have sat through many a UT game with and without me.  My youngest and her family were at my house last night watching the game.  

3 SB losses in a row.  Geez.  At least I can say I had a dog in the hunt, I guess.  

Last thing, I usually enjoy watching Mahomes and the Chiefs and if they would have beaten any of the other 30 teams playing last night I would be happy for them.  I think the Mahomes and Kelce duo is one of the best combos you will ever see.  This coming from a Montana to Rice guy. Joe and Jerry only one 2 rings together.  These two have just played in their 4th SB and celebrating their 3rd win.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I don’t think Helo started out doing a bit all the time, but he has definitely evolved into doing a bit all the time.   

It used to feel like, “hey, I’ve got this crazy opinion that I’ll toss out to the group.”    Now it feels like, “what’s the craziest possible take I can toss out to the group to get a reaction.”

It’s crazy to think the NFL is making the game less violent? I think believing the opposite is what’s crazy. It’s clearly been trending that way, and now the NFL has a very clear financial incentive to accelerate that.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Shanahan has walked into the Superbowls with inferior QBs vs Brady and Mahomes.

It was Mahomes both times.

Sorry, didn't realize you were counting his OC days, my bad.

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Shanahan didn’t mess up the coin toss. For playoff OT, you want the ball first. It’s nice to know what you have to do to win.  But these are the potential out comes:

- Score a TD, other team scores a TD (you get ball back and any score wins)

- Score a FG, other team scores a FG (you get ball back and any score wins)

- No score and opponent doesn’t score (you get the ball back and any score wins)

- Score a TD/FG and other team doesn’t score (you win)

- Score a FG, other team scores TD (you lose)

- No score and other team scores (you lose) 

The chance to get the ball back and end the game with any score is more valuable than going second and knowing what you need to do to win or keep playing. 

(Edit: I guess you or the other team could go for two. More likely in a track meet when the other team is confident it can get the two yards. Still, you want the sudden death advantage). 

I think being on offense knowing your playing with 4 downs vs 3 (if opponent scores) and knowing what you need to win/continue trumps all that. I kick first.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s crazy to think the NFL is making the game less violent? I think believing the opposite is what’s crazy. It’s clearly been trending that way, and now the NFL has a very clear financial incentive to accelerate that.

I can't decide which is dumber: truly believing that the NFL is fixed, or continuing to watch a sport that you truly believe is fixed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Reading this thread this morning...

Kyle Shanahan - I don't know.  3 Super Bowls as a play caller and he can't put the dagger in the chest when it matters most.  Do you blame him?  Purdy's inexperience?  Or does it just come down to Mr. Chris Jones and the KC D wanting it more when it truly counted?  KC D did a good job taking away Kittle and limiting other playmakers all game too. 

Personally, I have to wonder if last night IS the proof\nail in the coffin that he does not have the ability to close when it matters the most.

I did enjoy the Swift shots last night in huge part because Blake Lively was there.  Nothing against Ms. Swift.  I do think it is cool for you Dad's that got to experience watching the game with your daughters.  My daughters have sat through many a UT game with and without me.  My youngest and her family were at my house last night watching the game.  

3 SB losses in a row.  Geez.  At least I can say I had a dog in the hunt, I guess.  

Last thing, I usually enjoy watching Mahomes and the Chiefs and if they would have beaten any of the other 30 teams playing last night I would be happy for them.  I think the Mahomes and Kelce duo is one of the best combos you will ever see.  This coming from a Montana to Rice guy. Joe and Jerry only one 2 rings together.  These two have just played in their 4th SB and celebrating their 3rd win.

Shanahan didn’t cause the fumble, the botched punt return, the missed XP, the run of injuries, or the Oline letting Chris Jones absolutely blow them up on a couple of key downs. It didn’t sound like the players were prepared for the OT rules which is on him. However, I would take him as my team’s coach tomorrow over just about anyone else out there. You have to get there to have a shot at losing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think being on offense knowing your playing with 4 downs vs 3 (if opponent scores) and knowing what you need to win/continue trumps all that. I kick first.

There’s no way you give Mahomes the ball on the 3rd series with a chance to win it. You needed a TD whether you deferred or took the kick.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't watch the entire game due to some work that needed finishing; besides the ending which was so Keanu Reeves' Shane Falco/Gene Hackman's Coach McGinty "Winners always want the ball when the game is on the line" Mahomes is THAT guy and nothing I saw during the playoffs would dissuade me from that view (at least as long as he's healthy)......I thought the trick play with Purdy/Jennings/McCaffrey in the first half was pretty slick. If it hadn't worked, people be pointing and saying it cost them but it did work and you'd have thought would've loosened the 49rs up a little. But they needed some of the GB player's vibe from the play offs, the what have we got to lose go for it. Sure it can go too far, but this is Lombardi trophy on the line. Grab it and don't let go.

I enjoyed what I watched--entertainment and a spectacle just as the Super Bowl has been for quite awhile. If it returned to the 70's roots, viewership would plummet further. It's just the way it is. As it is, the way the NFL turned a potential ho hum (Chiefs again..) into something that got people talking (over and around each other); they (NFL)  know how to track demographics and participation and all the rest. Viewership was trending downward as was/is participation (tackle). I like regular football games w/o the pomp and circumstance (and talking heads) but it's obvious that is becoming more of an outlier; sport is an 'experience' now and a 'lifestyle,' where people identify with teams, players, ethos, whatever--and if that is perceived as changing then some may not like that. But change is going to happen because the money (or lack of it) will force it to happen.

All the sighs and cries over changing and this and that--dig the coach's shorts and tube socks out of the drawer and head out to the sideline where players can practice sans water and sans NFLPA labor protections and stare at the empty field. I don't think those days are returning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I didn't watch the entire game due to some work that needed finishing; besides the ending which was so Keanu Reeves' Shane Falco/Gene Hackman's Coach McGinty "Winners always want the ball when the game is on the line" Mahomes is THAT guy and nothing I saw during the playoffs would dissuade me from that view (at least as long as he's healthy)......I thought the trick play with Purdy/Jennings/McCaffrey in the first half was pretty slick. If it hadn't worked, people be pointing and saying it cost them but it did work and you'd have thought would've loosened the 49rs up a little. But they needed some of the GB player's vibe from the play offs, the what have we got to lose go for it. Sure it can go too far, but this is Lombardi trophy on the line. Grab it and don't let go.

I enjoyed what I watched--entertainment and a spectacle just as the Super Bowl has been for quite awhile. If it returned to the 70's roots, viewership would plummet further. It's just the way it is. As it is, the way the NFL turned a potential ho hum (Chiefs again..) into something that got people talking (over and around each other); they (NFL)  know how to track demographics and participation and all the rest. Viewership was trending downward as was/is participation (tackle). I like regular football games w/o the pomp and circumstance (and talking heads) but it's obvious that is becoming more of an outlier; sport is an 'experience' now and a 'lifestyle,' where people identify with teams, players, ethos, whatever--and if that is perceived as changing then some may not like that. But change is going to happen because the money (or lack of it) will force it to happen.

All the sighs and cries over changing and this and that--dig the coach's shorts and tube socks out of the drawer and head out to the sideline where players can practice sans water and sans NFLPA labor protections and stare at the empty field. I don't think those days are returning.

You liked Jet Pack guy & Bob Cole?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Shanahan didn’t cause the fumble, the botched punt return, the missed XP, the run of injuries, or the Oline letting Chris Jones absolutely blow them up on a couple of key downs. It didn’t sound like the players were prepared for the OT rules which is on him. However, I would take him as my team’s coach tomorrow over just about anyone else out there. You have to get there to have a shot at losing it.

All of that is true.  I want him to succeed.  He coaches my team.  He has been to the Super Bowl 2xs as a HC which is no easy accomplishment at all.  He IS a damn good coach that 30 other teams would love to have.  But I got names in my head like Bud Grant and Marv Levy this morning... it's a ways to go before it comes to that but still.

Just now, BonzoMontreaux said:

All of that is true.  I want him to succeed.  He coaches my team.  He has been to the Super Bowl 2xs as a HC which is no easy accomplishment at all.  He IS a damn good coach that 30 other teams would love to have.  But I got names in my head like Bud Grant and Marv Levy this morning... it's a ways to go before it comes to that but still.

Maybe three times will be the charm?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

I thought the NFL OT rules say that if the team first possessing the ball in OT scores a TD, it's game over, man.  Game over.

The rule for playoff games was changed a couple of years ago, ironically after the Chiefs beat the Bills in OT because they got the first possession and scored a TD to win. 

Edited by Horndog
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was wondering why the chiefs were in no rush until Romo explained the “it’s just the first quarter of overtime” thing, since it was still the chiefs first possession. I don’t like that rule. If you cant score in whatever time is left when you get the ball in OT the game should end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You are a fucking moron.

She was on a total of 55 seconds from kickoff to the game winning TD and the game was on 4 hours and 18 minutes.

You are pathetic. Go watching fucking soccer if she bothers you that much.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

This was their best shot, the money is coming due quickly and it’s going to be difficult to defer it much further. 

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah! We need more players who aren't pussies. So what if they end up as quadriplegics or vegetables by the time they hit 40? My reveling in the violence is more important than some player's life. Give it to me in slo-mo baby!

(Most of the dudes who complain about football becoming more feminine are desk pushers who live for the escapism of pretending they could be a player--of course, they would be invincible and only deliver injuries to other players. They are also disappointed in their dick size.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

She was on a total of 55 seconds from kickoff to the game winning TD and the game was on 4 hours and 18 minutes.

I’ve had no problem with the Taylor Swift coverage this season, but as much as the NFL is a whore for eyeballs on the TVs, I’m surprised at how little they showed her during the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Horndog said:

The rule for playoff games was changed a couple of years ago, ironically after the Chiefs beat the Bills in OT because they got the first possession and scored a TD to win. 

It is terrible and needs to change. If the receiving team doesn't get a first down, it is at a huge disadvantage because of field position. And if the receiving team scores, the other side knows exactly what it needs to do to tie or win. I don't know why the powers thought it was a good idea.

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

On the OT decision is getting the ball on a potential third possession better than giving a team (and especially a QB like Mahommes) another down in the second possession?  I don't know but that is an implication

The Chiefs players were saying after the game that the coaches had gone over the new OT rules in training camp. If the 49ers had scored a TD, the Chiefs were going to go for 2 if they scored the final TD. The 49ers players said they didn't know the new rules and thought it was all about scoring a TD first. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2