Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

24 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

At least if he used the cast of Hamilton, I MIGHT get it. But some rando picture? Does this mean that Elon wants to get rid of white people?

generated by Gemini. Think what you want, but Google fucking this up actually does give believability into "woke" culture being actually divergent from reality for the sake of inclusivity. Google effectively instructed it's team and thus it's product that "being too white is bad", there isn't really an argument against it, it happened. The issue is that white people being properly represented feels like underrepresentation when it's really not. 

While I hate to agree with any white nationalist propaganda, at this point I have actually seen enough from major players in the American consumer machine that are pushing DEI stuff entirely too far and too hard to the point of it being antithetical to the entire point of DEI. 

It's one thing to call for inclusion and acceptance of LGBTQ, ethnic and cultural diversity and it's one thing to over-represent LGBTQ, ethnicities and cultural importance on a routine basis and over stimulate attention and opinion having on things that don't really have much to do with most people. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

While I hate to agree with any white nationalist propaganda, at this point I have actually seen enough from major players in the American consumer machine that are pushing DEI stuff entirely too far and too hard to the point of it being antithetical to the entire point of DEI. 

In all seriousness, would you care to elaborate on this point.

1 minute ago, Stilicho said:

In all seriousness, would you care to elaborate on this point.

google legitimately just pushed out an update that wouldn't put white people in historically accurate places. What the fuck else do you need? Do I think it was nefarious and some mechanism to wipe out white people. No, I'm not a moron. I do think it's a manifestation of being run by a bunch of fucking morons who care more about metrics and feel good DEI than they do about reality. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, immamac said:

google legitimately just pushed out an update that wouldn't put white people in historically accurate places. What the fuck else do you need? Do I think it was nefarious and some mechanism to wipe out white people. No, I'm not a moron. I do think it's a manifestation of being run by a bunch of fucking morons who care more about metrics and feel good DEI than they do about reality. 

well that's one way to answer a perfectly normal question.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-black-p40-gaming-ssd-drive-hispanic-heritage-edition?sku=WDBAWY0010BM1-WESN

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-extreme-ssd-afrofuturism-edition?sku=SDSSDE61-1T00-GBH

over-representation. I know how much these devices sold and how much they cost from a product development perspective and marketing perspective. hint: it wasn't fucking good.

Now do I think that it's bad that these 2 products exist? of course not. I think they are actually kinda cool they just have no commercial business behind them. 

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

generated by Gemini. Think what you want, but Google fucking this up actually does give believability into "woke" culture being actually divergent from reality for the sake of inclusivity. Google effectively instructed it's team and thus it's product that "being too white is bad", there isn't really an argument against it, it happened. The issue is that white people being properly represented feels like underrepresentation when it's really not. 

It's one thing to call for inclusion and acceptance of LGBTQ, ethnic and cultural diversity and it's one thing to over-represent LGBTQ, ethnicities and cultural importance on a routine basis and over stimulate attention and opinion having on things that don't really have much to do with most people. 

The Office Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

The Office Reaction GIF

I'd love to not feel like that, I'm not saying they are fucking right or even saying the right things by getting radical reactions, but you can't look at Elon's tweet at face value and not be like ok yeah you are completely full of shit. that's the point. It used to be easy to be like that's horseshit, now it's at least plausible. 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's AI-generated content. Which, and I may be wrong here, means it basically trawls the fucking web. The things can't even generate proper anatomical features in most cases (too many fingers, body parts as furniture, whatever). 

It's a fucking regarded magic box you type words into and it generates... something it thinks is similar.

What does that have to do with DEI? You think AI art of black founding fathers is some sort racial creep to erase whiteness? I guess I'm just not following.

1 minute ago, Stilicho said:

It's AI-generated content. Which, and I may be wrong here, means it basically trawls the fucking web. The things can't even generate proper anatomical features in most cases (too many fingers, body parts as furniture, whatever). 

It's a fucking regarded magic box you type words into and it generates... something it thinks is similar.

What does that have to do with DEI? You think AI art of black founding fathers is some sort racial creep to erase whiteness? I guess I'm just not following.

this is a joke right? https://blog.google/products/gemini/gemini-image-generation-issue/

They specifically programmed the output of this to replace white people with no statistical significance and against the direct ask of the prompter. They had to fucking blog about it and lost 70B+ in market cap. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I guess I just don't get your extreme reaction and rush to validate replacement theory talking points. A LLM is an engineered and designed product - and this is a bad version of a product that's being replaced. It's not some almighty and on high entity that dictates the future of all of Google. Dial back the rhetoric a bit, imma. It's close to getting toxic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not even being a fucking elon stan. I'm not even agreeing with him. I'm just saying shit like this gives him a foothold to spout his insane shit and have it anchored in some warped reality. 

Wasn't looking to paint you as an Elon follower. They have carved out so many insane footholds to ground their even further insane beliefs that this issue doesn't really move the needle for me. Not in the same way that his bogus immigration claims and obvious Russian pandering, at least.

I'm more interested in why this is a big deal to other folks, like you. So thanks for the explanation and the link. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I guess I just don't get your extreme reaction and rush to validate replacement theory talking points. A LLM is an engineered and designed product - and this is a bad version of a product that's being replaced. It's not some almighty and on high entity that dictates the future of all of Google. Dial back the rhetoric a bit, imma. It's close to getting toxic. 

I've been pretty clear that I don't support or hold those views, what I was saying is stuff like this makes it harder to just call wholesale bullshit. I also see this behavior a ton at the corporate level when it makes absolutely no sense. 

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

CR is that way ➡️

what fucking cloak room has there been here? I was unaware that google and elon musk and major corporate entities in the united states were now "politics" 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ahh yes.  Chapter eleventy billion in the book of "When will white people ever get a break in this country?"  I love that book.  It's the biggest book in American history.  Well, second biggest.  Right behind the book listing "All the Fucking Breaks and Advantages White People have had in this Country."  I mean, we turned a brown-skinned middle eastern jew into a Nordic God so he could actually be the Son of God in our culture, so...spare me the Elon tears.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Imma was 100% one of those people that was outraged about that black mermaid. 

Get ready for the future meltdown of people complaining that an Africa American actress is playing a green witch and not a white actress.

image.thumb.png.21f6c5c7a720e9feb095d3e0009d1c08.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

C'mon man, this is silly. This shit isn't because Google cares deeply about DEI (no company does), this shit is because a few years ago when the first AI chatbots started getting released, they went nazi within like 12 hours.  So Google's engineers tried to think up all the ways internet assholes might try to make their new shit spout nazi slogans, etc. and tried to build in protections against that type of shit. They're just not very good at it and what they tried had unintended consequences because they hadn't really thought this shit through, because "how are nazis and other lunatics going to exploit this to get it to say things they like and how can we properly protect against that" is not really the type of thing an AI engineer is going to be good at thinking through. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'd love to not feel like that, I'm not saying they are fucking right or even saying the right things by getting radical reactions, but you can't look at Elon's tweet at face value and not be like ok yeah you are completely full of shit. that's the point. It used to be easy to be like that's horseshit, now it's at least plausible. 

No, he is still completely full shit. 

Also, fuck google. 

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

C'mon man, this is silly. This shit isn't because Google cares deeply about DEI (no company does), this shit is because a few years ago when the first AI chatbots started getting released, they went nazi within like 12 hours.  So Google's engineers tried to think up all the ways internet assholes might try to make their new shit spout nazi slogans, etc. and tried to build in protections against that type of shit. They're just not very good at it and what they tried had unintended consequences because they hadn't really thought this shit through, because "how are nazis and other lunatics going to exploit this to get it to say things they like and how can we properly protect against that" is not really the type of thing an AI engineer is going to be good at thinking through. 

this is kind of the case in point though. No one actually cares, they just do it because they are supposed to to check a box and by checking that box they don't actually give a shit if they should have or shouldn't have done whatever it was that they were doing. That was my point on the I don't think it was nefarious, I think it was stupid, very obviously stupid. 

^^ This is what's wrong right now all over the place in America (mostly) and some globally. People have divorced themselves from asking if they should do something and just go with whatever will get them bitched at least, or paid the most or feel the best about their horrible little life. The reality is everyone has it better than any time in all of history as a whole society and people have just given up trying to keep pushing things forward in any meaningful way. The stagnation of innovation in the USA has been incredible. Blockchain is a complete scam/grift. AI is hardly an innovation if you've been paying any kind of attention. This isn't some neat gamechanger invention that's going on it's a mass overinvestment of resource into finding the next "must have" subscription that can turn into a global $20/mo for every human on earth. It's not actually adding any real or tangible value yet. 

That's not to discount things like digital twin from major manufacturing or other uses of technology that help shape and create the future, but none of those require an entire AZ of GPU's, it's fine with one DGX box for an entire fucking factory or set of factories. The scale at which we are burning electricity and money to chase some product set that adds virtually no real economic value is why everyone thinks we are in a bubble. The real use of LLM's or Neural Networks or simulated environments is a truly drastic innovation that we are wholesale ignoring and championing idiot consumer plays to make people's brains tingle. 

Did the internet actually change the world and create a ton of value? Sure it did, but we still aren't even back to the bubble levels of value that were the early 2000's for some of these company valuations. I'd also argue that the majority (95%+) of SaaS platforms weren't disruptive or even conducive to actual productivity in an economic sense, they were a means to an end for cloud computing and distributed computing to become mandatory/commoditized things so that in true monopolistic fashion we could have a reverse money funnel up to the top 6 companies in the S&P 500 who...have not innovated hardly at all (Microsoft 365 says hi). The internet has just turned into a network that has been monopolized by the players that own the interconnects who are now unfairly charging for different types of bandwidth in what can only be described as modern day highway robbery. 

NVIDIA didn't invent AI or anything related to LLM/Neural Networks. Their chip does fucking math. Their software integration made it easy for non-PHD CS people to fuck with a thing that does math real good and then they did NVLINK to make the GPU's bigger. None of those things are pushing boundaries of what's possible and there isn't any unique capability there or any moat that really exists for them outside of CUDA not working with stuff yet (that's about to change). Intel and AMD haven't just been dicking around, their GPU's can do FP math just as well as the Nvidia ones, they can slap a bunch of HBM on theirs too, They have slapped ARM cores next to it. It's not that it isn't a technological marvel what they are doing, it's just been iterative and unlocked largely by TSMC unstucking the semiconductor industry from Intel's stalled nodes at 10nm. 

58 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

No, he is still completely full shit. 

Also, fuck google. 

Also this, fuck em both. Excellent post. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

That was my point on the I don't think it was nefarious, I think it was stupid, very obviously stupid.

After reading the explanation, I think I understand your point(s). It's a multitude of things combined with $$, with certain entities not wanting to offend anyone's sensibilities whereas others are seeking plausible deniability at every turn. And it all occurs at warp speed with what seems to be little care or thought.

Here is a (to me) disturbing article about Gab's AI and reading to the end (five minute read), Torba (CEO) states: (spoilered just in case it verges on CR)

Article link:https://www.wired.com/story/gab-ai-chatbot-racist-holocaust/

Spoiler

Torba has big plans for Gab’s AI platform, and is already looking at the potential for cutting-edge text-to-video tools to supercharge the right’s ability to spread disinformation and conspiracies to the masses.

“The dissident right needs to be leveraging this technology for storytelling immediately,” Torba wrote on Gab last week in response to the release of OpenAI’s text-to-video Sora tool. “It’s now a level playing field between us and movie studios with billions in capital. May the best propagandists and storytellers win.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Ahh yes.  Chapter eleventy billion in the book of "When will white people ever get a break in this country?"  I love that book.  It's the biggest book in American history.  Well, second biggest.  Right behind the book listing "All the Fucking Breaks and Advantages White People have had in this Country."  I mean, we turned a brown-skinned middle eastern jew into a Nordic God so he could actually be the Son of God in our culture, so...spare me the Elon tears.

“Our” culture, cabrón?

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In a painting in your grandma’s living room in the 1980s.  Right above the plastic-covered couch.  

You mis-typed "1970s."  Also, you forgot "and also in full relief sculpture of the bleeding face of Christ topped with the crown of thorns, positioned directly in front of you in the bathroom as you sat on the crapper."

FRfWdUGVEAAZEMc.jpg

Or was that just a feature of my tia's house?

• Haha 2

immac is right (and there has been discussion on the chatgpt thread), basically Google was being timid and scared because they didn't want to be cancelled and they over-rotated. Which is hilarious (and not harmful to white people...yet).

That is just one examples of many: Gemini won’t help promote meat, write a brief about fossil fuels, or even help sell a goldfish. It says that effective accelerationism is a violent ideology, that libertarians are morally equivalent to Stalin, and insists that it’s hard to say what caused more harm: repealing net neutrality or Hitler.

Some of these examples, particularly the Hitler comparisons (or Mao vs George Washington), are obviously absurd and downright offensive; others are merely controversial. They do, though, all seem to have a consistent viewpoint: Nate Silver, in another tweet, labeled it “the politics of the median member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.”

Needless to say, overtly expressing those opinions is not timid, which raises another question from Silver:

image.thumb.png.2da4a622f01f45ce097b6b8837f7d71f.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

You'll get no argument from me that there's entirely too much idiot VC money chasing AI and inflating market valuation of various projects. It's the new buzzword that effectively replaced "blockchain" in the conversations I have where I'm educating a decision maker so they can form an opinion for their board. And just like blockchain, there's not all that many actual validated business use cases being pursued with lots of AI investments (that I've seen at least) - just a POC that's being upsold as the next big thing and used to leverage a play somewhere else in the business

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Get ready for the future meltdown of people complaining that an Africa American actress is playing a green witch and not a white actress.

Don't forget the [oops I guessed wrong based on her name] Italian/Sicilian-American Glinda Good Witch of the North.

ETA:

Edited by DDD Dad

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You mis-typed "1970s."  Also, you forgot "and also in full relief sculpture of the bleeding face of Christ topped with the crown of thorns, positioned directly in front of you in the bathroom as you sat on the crapper."

Or was that just a feature of my tia's house?

Kinda hard to rub one out in there, but not impossible, right?  Your Tia thought she was keeping her bathroom from turning into a sperm bank.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, texasdago said:

weird. They both look like they have 6-year-old bodies with huge noggins but A Grande particularly looks like some kind of mentally challenged closet urchin who wears a sock on their head 

17 hours ago, immamac said:

He didn't say ask oil companines about DEI. He said ask the people who post in the Oil Barron thead here about DEI. 

Saying DEI isn't tangential to today's politics is absurd, considering one party is literally running on anti-DEI viewpoints as part of their political platform. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He didn't say ask oil companines about DEI. He said ask the people who post in the Oil Barron thead here about DEI. 

Saying DEI isn't tangential to today's politics is absurd, considering one party is literally running on anti-DEI viewpoints as part of their political platform. 

That’s not the context given and it wasn’t political at all in use.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That’s not the context given and it wasn’t political at all in use.

Yeah, but you didn't say "This instance isn't political." You said "DEI isn't political," which is pattently absurd. You know how I know it's absurd? Because the very thing you said wasn't political has been or will be grasped by politicians to push their agenda. Which was literally the point YOU were making earlier in this thead when you said "This shit doesn't help people dismiss the bullshit." 

• Hook 'Em 3

good news, if you put down a deposit on the roadster 2.0, it may now enter production EIGHT YEARS after you put the $$ down.

as a company, they spent 4 years on the cybertruck, now spending something like 24 and 25 on the roadster and still don't have any refreshes to the cars that are going to make up the overwhelming majority of their sales?

elon is just out here playing 4D chess!

///

and now, this:

9colwkw7nalc1.png

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but you didn't say "This instance isn't political." You said "DEI isn't political," which is pattently absurd. You know how I know it's absurd? Because the very thing you said wasn't political has been or will be grasped by politicians to push their agenda. Which was literally the point YOU were making earlier in this thead when you said "This shit doesn't help people dismiss the bullshit." 

DEI in most instances isn’t political. Because it as a concept on its own is not politically motivated. It’s not a government function. This isn’t hard. 

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

DEI in most instances isn’t political. Because it as a concept on its own is not politically motivated. It’s not a government function. This isn’t hard. 

You're right, it shouldn't be this hard, but here we are...

Attempting to draw some line as something as "not political" because in it's purest form its a concept that shoudln't be political is absurd, and unrealistic. That's not the reality of our times, the reality of this subject, or the reality of how the world works and has probably always worked, on some level. 

"Trump's indictments aren't political, they're criminal." Tell that to Fox News.
Drilling for Oil or Gas isn't political, it's just business.

We can make lists that go on and on, but that's not reality. You want things to be one way, but it's the other way /wire.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're right, it shouldn't be this hard, but here we are...

Attempting to draw some line as something as "not political" because in it's purest form its a concept that shoudln't be political is absurd, and unrealistic. That's not the reality of our times, the reality of this subject, or the reality of how the world works and has probably always worked, on some level. 

"Trump's indictments aren't political, they're criminal." Tell that to Fox News.
Drilling for Oil or Gas isn't political, it's just business.

We can make lists that go on and on, but that's not reality. You want things to be one way, but it's the other way /wire.

It's literally not a cloak room discussion because it has nothing to do with politics. The politics of google aren't why they did this, their DEI policy is. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

one party is literally running on anti-DEI viewpoints as part of their political platform

One party is saying they question getting on a plane with an African American pilot or going to an African American doctor.  They are saying it out loud and posting those videos online.  Shamelessly.  It's astounding.  And Elon is all for it.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Anastasis said:

Social media and AI tearing apart the social fabric of our society. 

If only people would verify the information they seek out. I guess…I can’t fathom why people don’t check out two or three sources for news stories. I go local first, then AP and then the Guardian or Sky News and then check CNN, MSNBC and FOX. Thats if I’m interested in following a particular story. Then I go on X and check what the verified reporters say. I get it. Most people don’t have time or care to fact check and honestly it’s sad we have to even do that. But it drives me nuts people just hop on Facebook and see something and believe it’s true and pass it along as true. wtf 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1