new Curb tonight, mofos

Gil Bang

I fucking cried during the Apple map scene in the car.  And then the Seinfeld callback to the ladies frames.  Holy shit.  Strong start.   It I’m already lamenting that this is it after a quarter century and 35 years of the Seinfeld-Curb universe.  Leon has not aged a day.  

I thought this was a comedy. Where was the funny? Fat latina is terrible. Somewhere there is a Jardiance commercial missing an actress.

This is funnier than this ep.

The whole superstar status of the bad star of his show. Using the water to Smoove mom as a cheap whine about voter suppression when she could have just done early voting. Whom he had just had a huge fight with about his glasses.

It’s now just a caricature of the greatness the show used to be.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is funnier than this ep.

The whole superstar status of the bad star of his show. Using the water to Smoove mom as a cheap whine about voter suppression when she could have just done early voting. Whom he had just had a huge fight with about his glasses.

It’s now just a caricature of the greatness the show used to be.

Leon's dick ordering a pizza didn't resonate with you?  Also, I think subsequent episodes will show that the voter suppression thing ---- because it results in jail for Larry ----  isn't a cheap whine but rather one of the things that will tie this whole season together, just as Larry's had in every other season. I think "cordial" will be another such thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Leon's dick ordering a pizza didn't resonate with you?  Also, I think subsequent episodes will show that the voter suppression thing ---- because it results in jail for Larry ----  isn't a cheap whine but rather one of the things that will tie this whole season together, just as Larry's had in every other season. I think "cordial" will be another such thing.

I’m not a Leon fan. The dick dial is a joke I’ve heard since buttdialing started. I lived this show for years and its second incarnation after the hiatus just hasn’t measured up to the extraordinary greatness of the first seasons.

18 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m not a Leon fan. The dick dial is a joke I’ve heard since buttdialing started. I lived this show for years and its second incarnation after the hiatus just hasn’t measured up to the extraordinary greatness of the first seasons.

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 11:37 PM, RPM said:

I thought this was a comedy. Where was the funny? Fat latina is terrible. Somewhere there is a Jardiance commercial missing an actress.

Her unfuniness is the joke itself.  She plays a horrifically bad actor in the previous season that Larry gets blackmailed into putting into his show.  Then the show takes off, because of her, and becomes a giant success.  The world is absolutely in love with Maria Sofia despite her being absolutely untolerable and grating.  Larry and Jeff are the only ones who see how awful she is.  Like always, the world is gaslighting them.

It's essentially the essence of the show.  You go back and forth between Larry being crucified for completely rational behavior/opinions, followed by him absolutely earning his scorn in epic ways, and it all tying together through a series of incredibly unfortunate and unlikely coincidences.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

Without Leon, I think the show would have withered away seasons ago. 

As someone who started watching in probably 2008ish, I found the pre-Leon seasons to be pretty good, but found the show hit another gear when they showed up.

I think the heart of the show is Larry and Jeff getting into some shit, hiding it from Susie, Susie finds out and yells at Larry and Jeff. The show suffers when Larry and Jeff aren't hanging out. 

Every lunch with Richard Lewis is pretty funny. 

The Ted Danson rivalry is always great. 

Funkhouser was magnificent, but you can't do anything about that. Most of the golf/country club storylines have been pretty damn funny. I wish they'd go back to that well more even without Funkhouser. 

Leon is great, but he only has one note. I'm not sure he works as Larry's sidekick because well, Leon isn't the sidekick type. Moocher yes. Sidekick no. He's black Kramer, but they don't use him that way and the show has suffered for it. 

Vince Vaughn as Freddy Funkhouser is best new character. Spite Store is the best new episode. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Leon is great, but he only has one note. I'm not sure he works as Larry's sidekick because well, Leon isn't the sidekick type.

Leon is great because he is the only character who will egg Larry on. He doesn't get all over Larry for his shit, and most of the time encourages it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Cousin Andy as well, but how many times can Larry screw up his dinner parties? That well has gone dry. 

It's a better show when Larry is married to Cheryl. Ms. Hines might have been in the best of business at making the WTF face to her onscreen husband. I agree they had to try something to shake things up, but the first of the series is better than the back half. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I thought the Siri maps bit was too over the top with the yelling.

But generally liked the episode. The Brook/Brookie rule was great, classic Curb stuff. Sharlto Copley? Never know who’s gonna pop up in this show.

and….

”I have a structured settlement

But I NEED CASH NOOOW!

CALL JG WENTWORTH…”

lmao had to do it.

Edited by LonghornSean

On 2/9/2024 at 10:12 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Absolutely. Ditching her was the collapse of the show from true greatness. Those shows were basically Larry a good guy basically doing a good deed and being punished for it. They were far more clever than the past few seasons.

Agreed, but characters like Larry and George Constanza need an authority figure they don't want to piss off/disappoint. They're assholes that don't care what other people think, except for one person. Peak Larry is him fearing Cheryl. Peak Constanza is his face when Susan makes him watch Mad About You and Independent George v. Relationship George. 

Didn't Larry David get a divorce from his real wife right around the time he and Cheryl split up on the show? I agree their dynamic is great, but I'm guessing LD wanted to mimic his real life situation with being newly single. He gets so much of his material from real life experiences. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, exactly right.  Leon was probably going to be written off the show with the rest of the Blacks when the arc ran its course.  But after Cheryl leaves him, they continue the story with Vivica Fox and Leon.  Jeff & Larry buddy-duo comedy is still a high point of the show.  But Jeff's character as Larry's agent has always remained enabling to Larry because he relies on Larry for his making a living.  It's hilarious as hell, but Jeff never really challenges Larry on any of shit

\Now Richard Lewis will, in small doses.  But Cheryl was the main challenger to his shit.  So once she was outta his life for the most part, he needed somebody literally in the house calling him to task on stuff.  But also being a goofy enabler, enter Leon's expanded role.  Marty was as well (RIP, Bob).  Obviously the biggest critic and most vocal about it, is Susie.  But they use her brialliantly in small doses and she's the perfect 1 or 2 scene/episode foil on the whole show's entire run.  

Someday, we're gonna find out who Larry David's actual agent in life's wife is and I'm gonna die laughing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Season 8 and Season 10 were my favorites of the whole run.  Both were post-divorce with Cheryl, and both only featured Cheryl occasionally instead of keeping her as a main character (like she still was in Season 7).

I don’t think Larry needs a wife or an authority figure.  He needs a nemesis.  The Michael J. Fox episode was my favorite comedy episode in tv history, and Cheryl had nothing to do with it.  The only memorable episode in Season 9 was when Lin Manuel Miranda made Larry sit in the low chair as a power play.  Larry needs people to actually fuck with him instead of it just Larry being neurotic and overreacting.

I'm stuck in the middle of season 9. Should I just skip the rest and go on to 10?

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

E2 was probably the worst episode of the series imo. Inventing ridiculous premises that don’t even make sense. Glad it looks like they’re back in LA with the regulars next week. 

was this your first time watching this show ?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Larry asking for a black lawn jockey at the nursery was quintessential cringe Larry.

*I thought Episode 1 was a bit over the top ridiculous, but i think Episode 2 got things back on track.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1