Alabama, WTF..you dumb mother fuckers

jdhorn92

On 2/22/2024 at 5:34 PM, Samson's Wig said:

My hope is that enough lawmakers, even the ones proudly wearing their pro-life stripes, will have either gone through this themselves, have friends who have, have an IVF grandchild, etc.    That's my hope.

You left out the most important demographic from the list of those you hope have gone through IVF... big campaign donors.

If a pol's biggest donor has / is going through IVF, you can bet your ass the politician will do a 180 and be totally in favor of it going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:44 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

This nut should be in an asylum being forced to take schizophrenic medication, not sitting as a judge. 

Dems should take a page out of the GQP playbook and start ranting left, right and center non-stop about the worst of the worst.  Never let up.  Start villifying the likes of this asshole, Gaetz, MTG, Boobert, etc the same way they did to Hillary, Pelosi, AOC, etc.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Time to check with in Tommy Tuberville. I'm sure he has a keen sense of the issue.

image.thumb.png.c5dde810b524672112bd14e9feea3c1b.png

image.thumb.png.df992ba2d4715d054b480ccc9686e3d4.png

Don't worry about ol' Tommy. His daddy released a statement in support of IVF  yesterday, so Tommy knows what he's supposed to think now.

I'm guessing the brain trust at texags magically changed their thinking about it overnight as well.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Don't worry about ol' Tommy. His daddy released a statement in support of IVF  yesterday, so Tommy knows what he's supposed to think now.

I'm guessing the brain trust at texags magically changed their thinking about it overnight as well.

There's a law on the books, sir. It's clearly homicide to destroy a fertilized egg or to create more than one fertilized egg at a time. It is written! You're not going to tell me that a bunch of GOPs are going to go soft on crime all of a sudden just because their position is highly unpopular with the full electorate and not just the fucking libs, are you? To be clear I think we're talking about the same group of men who got all wound up when some local DAs refused to prosecute women who were leaving the state for a legal abortion. Surely those Alabama Talibanians aren't that craven. Oh haha just kidding of course they (mostly) are.

• Fuck You 1

IVF is a booming business in Utah, not usually thought of as a progressive state, due to the predominant religion’s beliefs towards having children. I would love to hear from politicians from that state.

Also, if a politician says they support IVF, that means nothing unless they specify they understand how IVF science is practiced -- including freezing embryos for later implantation, the death of embryos before they're even able to be implanted, and embryos often discarded if deemed medically unlikely to successfully implant. Neither of those state-of-the-art scientific practices seems amenable to the Alabama's Supreme Court ruling that embryos are protected under the state's Wrongful Death of a Minor Act. The politicians are going to try to have it both ways but anyone who's stated they believe "life begins at conception," then it seems like they either need to explain why they no longer believe that to be the case, or simply own their opinion, no matter how unpopular and unscientific it is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

What the fucking fuck, man. This is just power grabbing at this point - it's out of fucking control. The ruling that all this idiocy hinges on CITED THE FUCKING BIBLE and was authored by a "vaccines are mind control and russia is saving Ukraine from pedophiles" lunatic judge.

What the fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Shit like this makes me wish hell was actually a thing so people like Samantha D and this Alabama fucknut judge could rot in it.

Counterpoint: if there is a Hell, then you know they have CiCi's Pizza there, and Samantha D and the Alabama fucknut judge will think they are in heaven.

• Haha 2

. . . and I'll be in heaven, looking down on those two heathens whilst gorging myself on the most gloriously infinite supply of super thin, floppy pie with grease running down my arms, like the one I had at a walkup window near the waterfront in Boston, but without the dumb Southie accents.  Wicked!

50 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Counterpoint: if there is a Hell, then you know they have CiCi's Pizza there, and Samantha D and the Alabama fucknut judge will think they are in heaven.

Aren't all of these things already in Alabama? Therefore, Alabama is becoming heavenhell?

I was out on travel and didn't have a chance to get in on this thread before today. Father if a great IVF kid. Others have said it, so there isn't much to say but IVF is the suck for the woman. My wife was a trooper going through two rounds of my shitty shots, and for her this absolutely sucked. And I am extremely grateful. And between about 20 harvested in the two round, we had 1 viable and it was our son.

This ruling absolutely is 100% bullshit and we shouldn't be surprised a deep ass backwards red state like Alabama made a decision like this.

I feel for anyone in that state that had the brakes slammed on their IVF treatments because the clinics all basically shut down. What's worse, this stopped EVERYTHING. Treatments - stopped. Retrievals - stopped. Transfers - stopped. 

So people are being told to ship their embryos out of state for a chance to transfer. GUESS WHAT? The companies that can do shipments of embryos? THEY STOPPED TOO!!! They aren't doing it in Alabama anymore for fear of being in the crosshairs should something go wrong during shipment. Today's NYT Daily interviewed a woman that was in this boat - her embryos were scheduled for transfer into a surrogate mother Friday - stopped and she can't move them to any other state for transfer. All the treatments that even the surrogate went through - all for nothing.

Complete and total bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

In case this is or becomes relevant to anyone, we went to Czech Republic for our 2nd IVF.   It was 15 years ago but at the time it was a European vacation and ivf for the same price as domestic ivf.  And if you believe that relaxed women are more likely to achieve implantation, it helps with that side of things as well. 

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Maybe we can move all the frozen embryos to Texas and then when our grid fails again, we can charge ERCOT with genocide.  

Or how about any murder of a woman now becomes a serial killing, due to all the unfertilized eggs she was carrying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Or how about any murder of a woman now becomes a serial killing, due to all the unfertilized eggs she was carrying.

Oh you...thinking our state gives a shit about the lives of women. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

Hold your beer Alabama! Missouri, Texas, Arkansas and Arizona would like to buy you a drink! Can’t get a divorce if pregnant! Even if your spouse is beating the shit out of you. Must wait until you give birth first! FML!!! 
https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-law-says-pregnant-women-cant-get-divorced/

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – As it stands, Missouri judges cannot legally finalize a divorce if a woman is pregnant. 

Three other states have similar laws: Texas, Arizona and Arkansas. While a couple can still file for divorce in Missouri, the court must wait until after a woman gives birth in order to finalize child custody and child support. 

When it comes to domestic violence, there are no exceptions.

“It just doesn’t make sense in 2024,” said State Rep. Ashley Aune, a Democrat representing District 14 in Platte County, and that’s where it becomes a problem for her.

• Rage+1 3

40 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hold your beer Alabama! Missouri, Texas, Arkansas and Arizona would like to buy you a drink! Can’t get a divorce if pregnant! Even if your spouse is beating the shit out of you. Must wait until you give birth first! FML!!! 
https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-law-says-pregnant-women-cant-get-divorced/

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – As it stands, Missouri judges cannot legally finalize a divorce if a woman is pregnant. 

Three other states have similar laws: Texas, Arizona and Arkansas. While a couple can still file for divorce in Missouri, the court must wait until after a woman gives birth in order to finalize child custody and child support. 

When it comes to domestic violence, there are no exceptions.

“It just doesn’t make sense in 2024,” said State Rep. Ashley Aune, a Democrat representing District 14 in Platte County, and that’s where it becomes a problem for her.

The laws left on the book, just because, really can blow your mind. I know this is one of those throw back laws that was left in and oopsy now that Row has been turned back we can keep enforcing it because we make the women carry their kids to term. Force them to have relationships with men that are shitty and, in some cases, a real danger to them.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The laws left on the book, just because, really can blow your mind. I know this is one of those throw back laws that was left in and oopsy now that Row has been turned back we can keep enforcing it because we make the women carry their kids to term. Force them to have relationships with men that are shitty and, in some cases, a real danger to them.

THE. CRUELTY. IS. THE. POINT.

Women are chattel, not worthy of true individual rights.  This is the way of the world, because it is the way of the Dominionist Fundagelical God.  And why is it that way?  Because of the curse of Eve.  Those bitches are responsible for the fall of man.

You would think that what I just typed is hyperbole.  I wish it was.  I truly do.  It is, instead, the dead-on balls-accurate truth.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

1) So forcing a woman to carry to term a baby she may not be able to support because of zero help from the state, for an abusive man who is a threat to both her and the fetus/baby?

2) But we're tough on crime.

3) ???

4) Re-election Profit

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I have, and I imagine many of you have, bought houses where there is a covenant somewhere still on the books that says you can’t sell to black folks, that just gets passed off as “well obviously that’s not legal so it doesn’t apply,” but for some reason nobody goes through the motions to have it legally removed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

THE. CRUELTY. IS. THE. POINT.

Women are chattel, not worthy of true individual rights.  This is the way of the world, because it is the way of the Dominionist Fundagelical God.  And why is it that way?  Because of the curse of Eve.  Those bitches are responsible for the fall of man.

You would think that what I just typed is hyperbole.  I wish it was.  I truly do.  It is, instead, the dead-on balls-accurate truth.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I have, and I imagine many of you have, bought houses where there is a covenant somewhere still on the books that says you can’t sell to black folks, that just gets passed off as “well obviously that’s not legal so it doesn’t apply,” but for some reason nobody goes through the motions to have it legally removed. 

Our first home was built in 1957.  When I pointed out that clause in our original deed documents (still part of the transfer docs), my wife's jaw dropped.   Some states have actually passed legislation making those void.  But others....have not.  And when Uncle Clarence and crew finally get around to voiding THAT SCOTUS decision, not only will it be back live and active, but it will actually PROHIBIT you from selling your house to @Slacks, for example.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:25 AM, Chopper said:

Finally weighing in here. I’m so fucking worked up. 

My wife and I have twins via IVF. The whole process was so emotionally taxing and filled with unknowns, worst fears, etc., but we are extremely lucky and it all worked out. 

We also have a frozen embryo. Trying to figure out WTF to do now. I recall like it was yesterday the appointment where we had to agree what we would want to do with it, including hypotheticals of divorce, death of one of us, simultaneous death of both of us, etc. To think that we may not have that right going forward, and that it’s up to the fucking Texas GOP, is unfathomable.

On the other hand, I suppose we could just keep the status quo of keeping it frozen, and threaten my children’s inheritance by telling them we will leave everything to their fucking Zygotesibling if they fuck up. I mean, that’s the logical conclusion, right?

image.gif.e0f7d211890110b37fe39b1c5f35ebe3.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Our first home was built in 1957.  When I pointed out that clause in our original deed documents (still part of the transfer docs), my wife's jaw dropped.   Some states have actually passed legislation making those void.  But others....have not.  And when Uncle Clarence and crew finally get around to voiding THAT SCOTUS decision, not only will it be back live and active, but it will actually PROHIBIT you from selling your house to @Slacks, for example.

My next move is a place in Central America. I just need to accelerate the pace of my suspiciousness so I can love it or leave it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:23 AM, YGIFS said:

Maybe we can move all the frozen embryos to Texas and then when our grid fails again, we can charge ERCOT with genocide.  

That's human trafficking of minors across state lines, my good sir. I suggest you reconsider that proposal.

However, if you establish a facility in Texas, and have it *accredited by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission (TPSAC) as a private boarding school (No registration, licensing, or approval required) and you could wire up some speakers to pipe in some classical bro-country music to the freezers and you're likely good to go. Talk to one of your CPA people--you might be able to do this tax free.

*I think on the TSBOE site accrediting is optional as well, really. Texas is shitastic for education.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:49 PM, Brisketexan said:

I don't want to live in a world where I am required to sell my house to somebody wearing grey slacks.