Rudy

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I always want to compare Hoosiers to Rudy for some reason, and Hoosiers wins out by a lot.

I tend to not like Yankees too much. Partially due to the War of Northern Aggression but mostly due to the fact that everyone of them I've ever met is a complete prick I'm sort of prick myself so I ought to know

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Rudy's fine. Like all sports biopics, it's full of shit. 

Normally dig your posts but this one is offsides. Attended the '96 game due largely to our District Judge. When they edged us out he jumped up and hollered "Fucking Catholics!!!" which drew a shit ton of support in our section. If we ever play those assholes again it should become a cheer

As an underappreciated football player who managed to score the winning touchdown against our rival school on 4th down against all expectations (no, I'm not Vince), Rudy hits home for me.  I don't care if it's fake or that he was off-sides, and don't give a rip for Notre Dame, but damned if the room doesn't get dusty at the end of that movie every single time for me.  The score helps.

fortunerudy.gif

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I tend to not like Yankees too much. Partially due to the War of Northern Aggression but mostly due to the fact that everyone of them I've ever met is a complete prick I'm sort of prick myself so I ought to know

username checks out

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's cheesy, like 90% of sports movies.

Which is why the original Bad News Bears is the greatest sports movie of all time in my book.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Yes, it’s a fairytale version but I like it. Soundtrack is good too. 

I dig it. It's cheesy and formulaic as hell but I enjoy it. The soundtrack/score is phenomenally good.

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Which is why the original Bad News Bears is the greatest sports movie of all time in my book.

BNB is great but it's not even the best 70's sports movie. That honor goes to Slap Shot, which might be the best sports movie of all time.

• Drool 1

Just now, C-Man said:

BNB is great but it's not even the best 70's sports movie. That honor goes to Slap Shot, which might be the best sports movie of all time.

I recall we've had this conversation before.  And I'm reminded that I need to watch Slap Shot again before I tell you you're wrong.  ;)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sure, if we're talking about a universe where Rocky does not exist. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

As an underappreciated football player who managed to score the winning touchdown against our rival school on 4th down against all expectations (no, I'm not Vince), Rudy hits home for me.  I don't care if it's fake or that he was off-sides, and don't give a rip for Notre Dame, but damned if the room doesn't get dusty at the end of that movie every single time for me.  The score helps.

fortunerudy.gif

I’m aligned.  Yes there was a lot of creative liberties but it’s a great story.  Got dusty at certain moments. Sorry not sorry

I’m a man!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Fair, although I personally favor an offering from the 80s--Bull Durham.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Is North Dallas Forty a sports movie?

bang the drum slowly was also in the 70s. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I will give it some credit for the football scenes seem remotely realistic unlike the nonsense of FNL and remember the titans. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Any Given Sunday despite the absurdity of the on field stuff and most of the rest. Just a fun movie.

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Sure, if we're talking about a universe where Rocky does not exist. 

Is Rocky even the best boxing movie? Isn’t Raging Bull better? The Fighter?

At any rate, I prefer Slap Shot (and others).

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fair, although I personally favor an offering from the 80s--Bull Durham.

Bull Durham is great. Definitely on my short list of greatest sports movies.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Most football movies are meh. Baseball and golf dominate sports movies.

Tin Cup is cheesy as can be but I enjoy Costner and Don Johnson is perfect as the prick. I seem to recall The Greatest Game Ever Played as being pretty good. The book is fantastic.

Let's just add Varsity Blues to the list while we're at it.  It's relatively entertaining and rewatchable.  Plus, you've got Gardere throwing the football around.

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

Let's just add Varsity Blues to the list while we're at it.  It's relatively entertaining and rewatchable.  Plus, you've got Gardere throwing the football around.

YOU'N DO IT!

I raised you to be a winner, so damn it boy, win! Fire that fuckin pigskin!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

YOU'N DO IT!

I raised you to be a winner, so damn it boy, win! Fire that fuckin pigskin!

For the next thirty minutes, we can play like GAWDS!