The Kids (Aren't) Alright - World Happiness Report

4 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

Oh he was definitely part of the problem and I include him. But way to jump to conclusions guys. Good job. 

4 minutes ago, Cum Rocket said:

Oh he was definitely part of the problem and I include him. But way to jump to conclusions guys. Good job. 

Sorry about the namecalling, I'm just trying to use more situational alliteration.  Supposed to be good for the brain and staving off mental illness (too late, I know).  

But I wouldn't say I was "jumping to conclusions" simply by citing who was in charge of the situation during its most critical time period (the first 13 months).  That's just factual history.  I don't want to spoiler alert it for you and don't want to drag politics into it but you mentioned the "government's response" to the pandemic.  They created a "Task Force" to combat it.  And the head of it wasn't woke scientists, it was Mike Pence.  I don't know if you remember that part.  But Mikey got "hung" up on the legality of it all.  

Far be it from me to dissuade a good president-bashing, but municipal and state response had far more to do with how long kids stayed out of school, and when they returned, and how things were managed in-between, than anything at the Federal level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Far be it from me to dissuade a good president-bashing, but municipal and state response had far more to do with how long kids stayed out of school, and when they returned, and how things were managed in-between, than anything at the Federal level.

That's fair, but people do like to blame the CDC/NIH for what young kids went through/are still going through.  Good, bad, or indifferent---no CR---but they continue to be an oft-cited fallguy for this stuff and they are technically federal agencies.  There's plenty of monday morning quarterbacking in this thread on Covid but the approaches were made on the fly and we can get into the sub-populations that probably spread this thing more than it needed to be.  But looking back, the disconcert of approaches from muni to muni, ISD to ISD, city to city, county to county, state to state just looks worse and worse in hindsight.  My daughter missed 3/4 of a year in in-person instruction but thankfully my wife created a physical classroom in our garage for 4 kids to do remote learning and she picked up the gaps given her training in schools.  She even got us actual school desks and an old-school clock and those goofy plastic chairs we all remember from Elementary School.  But there were other kids who were back in the classroom in a matter of weeks and still others, it was 2 years.  Everyone's mileage may vary, especially the kids.  Our youngest is our Covid-19 baby.  She's only ever known a world of this pandemic.  She was 11 months old when quarantine set in, pulled her out of day care, and while she's doing great at pre-school and playdates...maybe it's for the best since she didn't know life before it.  

But my point is we continue to hand-wringing on how this place did this and that place did that.  We were too busy thinking of rural v. urban, remote v. in-person, blue v. red, masks v. no masks, won't somebody think of the children, etc.  All the while ignoring the elephant in the room---the virus didn't care about municipalities and classroom mental health.  We were too busy thinking of our own bullshit and forgot it simply wanted to spread and mutate.  I think in hindsight we took a moderate approach with our oldest.  She definitely has some setbacks from spending almost a year coop'd up inside with her anal-retentive parents.  She's doing so much better now.  But I know we'll continue to unpack what this has all meant for the meant for the mental well-being of kids that were 4-14 when Pandemic hit for decades.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's fair, but people do like to blame the CDC/NIH for what young kids went through/are still going through.  Good, bad, or indifferent---no CR---but they continue to be an oft-cited fallguy for this stuff and they are technically federal agencies.  There's plenty of monday morning quarterbacking in this thread on Covid but the approaches were made on the fly and we can get into the sub-populations that probably spread this thing more than it needed to be.  But looking back, the disconcert of approaches from muni to muni, ISD to ISD, city to city, county to county, state to state just looks worse and worse in hindsight.  My daughter missed 3/4 of a year in in-person instruction but thankfully my wife created a physical classroom in our garage for 4 kids to do remote learning and she picked up the gaps given her training in schools.  She even got us actual school desks and an old-school clock and those goofy plastic chairs we all remember from Elementary School.  But there were other kids who were back in the classroom in a matter of weeks and still others, it was 2 years.  Everyone's mileage may vary, especially the kids.  Our youngest is our Covid-19 baby.  She's only ever known a world of this pandemic.  She was 11 months old when quarantine set in, pulled her out of day care, and while she's doing great at pre-school and playdates...maybe it's for the best since she didn't know life before it.  

But my point is we continue to hand-wringing on how this place did this and that place did that.  We were too busy thinking of rural v. urban, remote v. in-person, blue v. red, masks v. no masks, won't somebody think of the children, etc.  All the while ignoring the elephant in the room---the virus didn't care about municipalities and classroom mental health.  We were too busy thinking of our own bullshit and forgot it simply wanted to spread and mutate.  I think in hindsight we took a moderate approach with our oldest.  She definitely has some setbacks from spending almost a year coop'd up inside with her anal-retentive parents.  She's doing so much better now.  But I know we'll continue to unpack what this has all meant for the meant for the mental well-being of kids that were 4-14 when Pandemic hit for decades.  

I'm not making any value judgment on the various responses by local/county/state actors, I'm just pointing out that THOSE are the appropriate levels of government to consider, when discussing the length of time any particular group of students stayed out of full in-person schooling.  THOSE were the people making the decisions.  Not the president, not the CDC, not Congress.  I'm keeping all of my commentary strictly within the context of this thread, which is "Kids' happiness" and not other issues related to the pandemic and any entities' responses to it.

In Leander ISD, my kids were only out from mid-March 2020 thru mid-September 2020.  It wasn't two years, it wasn't 18 months, it wasn't even one year, it was only 6 months.

However, that 6 months made an incredible impact to my then-6th-grade daughter.  I saw her turn from a bright, cheerful, outgoing, deeply happy child who excelled in all of her classes and never once thought about NOT turning in an assignment on time, into a withdrawn, timid, introverted, morose, ghost of a teenager who lost track of all sense of responsibility and normalcy.  It took her almost two years to re-form good school habits and re-engage with her friends.  She's now thriving, a straight A+ student with tons of friends and tons of activities, but even those 6 months set her back potentially years.  

So people who are debating the 6 months versus 2 years or whatever, are completely missing the point.  It's much less amount the DURATION of the event and more about the total psychological trauma induced by the event itself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Gotcha.  I know there's been some comparative research done but I wouldn't even how to go about finding it, let alone understanding it.  On how this recent period for children compares to periods of equal mental stress (not necessarily fear of disease obviously) from eras like the Great Depression, WWII, Cuban Missile Crisis, 9/11, et. al.  Kids certainly socialized during those times as coping mechanisms and school pretty much went on unencumbered, but kids lived under an equal, or even greater, shadow of fear as they did during Covid-19 (durations obviously vary from weeks to years depending on the crisis).  There are generational differences obviously-no social media for those crisis, a societal norm to internalize mental angst and depression, etc.  But I'd be very interested to read about the parallels between those nationwide crises and the one we just came out of in terms of what it did/does to children.  

I think of two anecdotes with my daughter earlier this week.  She was talking about a girl cyber-bullying another girl in her class at night.  And she asked me about bullying when I was growing up.  And I had to be honest with her.  Once we got to about 4th or 5th grade, we beat the crap out of one another behind school and that was that.  We moved on.  We had to look in each other in the eye and say what we wanted to say and fight if necessary.  But we moved on.  Now it can go on and on anonymously and get much darker, real quick.  And then she asked what it was like when my dad was young.  I said, "His first childhood memory was watching a newsreel of the U.S. dropping two atomic bombs on Japan when he was about 3.  He got into a lot of fights, took up smoking (didn't tell her about the alcohol usage), was a bit of a rebel, joined the Navy at the outset of Vietnam, and got into boxing and wrestling along the way.  We never talked about how we were feeling or depression.  I don't want these internal struggles to consume you so we don't need to spend all our effort and time focusing on them but I don't want us to go down the path we did as a family when he and I were growing up.  There's gotta be a healthier balance.  Try your best, and then try again, to fix what's bothering you.  If you get frustrated, that means you're making progress.  If it really is impossible, we will help you.  Don't end up like the people before you.  We're all works in progress.  And if that boy Nicholas gets any creepier around you, tell me his last name and you can watch me make his father shit his pants on his front porch when I tell him who I really work for."  

She ended up sleeping a solid 10 hours that night which is really good for her.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is entirely on the individual. No one can force you to be satisfied you aren’t rich/successful/whatever goal you’ve set except yourself.    Trying to place blame on you tubers or govt or whatever is just scapegoating.  This is an individual problem. 

I spend a decent amount of time listening to younger folks vent about their issues in life. I do think that these social media outlets are a net negative on them because so many of these folks watch this stuff and think that it is something to strive for. Cognitively they cannot yet comprehend that there is peace and joy in just being content. Some of that comes with age, but some also comes from not being as exposed to these social media loops constantly. 

Also I think people could stand to put down their electronics for awhile and just go out and experience life, especially if it can be in a place where you can take in nature.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Would definitely help solve the obesity crisis in America.

You can't eat or drink double the amount of calories you burn, you won't be as fat.

Or if companies were held liable for making and pushing addictive products, they wouldn't be so quick to push them out their either.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I spend a decent amount of time listening to younger folks vent about their issues in life. I do think that these social media outlets are a net negative on them because so many of these folks watch this stuff and think that it is something to strive for. Cognitively they cannot yet comprehend that there is peace and joy in just being content. Some of that comes with age, but some also comes from not being as exposed to these social media loops constantly. 

Also I think people could stand to put down their electronics for awhile and just go out and experience life, especially if it can be in a place where you can take in nature.

A large portion of that is that there's nowhere else for them to go but online. The third place is dead. 

But also, this whole thing is much larger than one singularly addressable ill. It's not something where just putting the phone down fixes everything else 

57 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Also, while they were fucked up particularly and specifically by covid and while social media isn’t helping, the things that make them despair about the present and future are real and worthy of despair.

There have always been and always will be plenty of bad things to worry about.  Prior couple generations to me had the great depression, dust bowl, world war, literal starvation, civil rights and racial strife, nuclear war drills, polio, possibility of getting drafted and sent to ‘Nam, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 7

58 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Also, while they were fucked up particularly and specifically by covid and while social media isn’t helping, the things that make them despair about the present and future are real and worthy of despair.

Has it always been the case that older generations have next to zero empathy for the plight of future generations? Beyond the cliched "that's what you call music??" superficial level.

The "kids these days are so lazy and expect everything handed to them, and their struggles are trivial compared to others" attitude is so pervasive and mean-spirited that it has undoubtedly affected public perception and policy. Maybe it's how it's always been, but it's sure as shit counterproductive.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

For the first time, we don't have a clear picture forward of improvement that each generation has enjoyed since probably the Civil War.  The wave has finally crested.  The affects everything.  They don't see housing the way every generation before has.  They don't see marriages the way every generation before has.  They don't see middle class wages the every generation before has. They don't see basic entertainment as before. They don't have communities as before.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'm not making any value judgment on the various responses by local/county/state actors, I'm just pointing out that THOSE are the appropriate levels of government to consider, when discussing the length of time any particular group of students stayed out of full in-person schooling.  THOSE were the people making the decisions.  Not the president, not the CDC, not Congress.  I'm keeping all of my commentary strictly within the context of this thread, which is "Kids' happiness" and not other issues related to the pandemic and any entities' responses to it.
In Leander ISD, my kids were only out from mid-March 2020 thru mid-September 2020.  It wasn't two years, it wasn't 18 months, it wasn't even one year, it was only 6 months.
However, that 6 months made an incredible impact to my then-6th-grade daughter.  I saw her turn from a bright, cheerful, outgoing, deeply happy child who excelled in all of her classes and never once thought about NOT turning in an assignment on time, into a withdrawn, timid, introverted, morose, ghost of a teenager who lost track of all sense of responsibility and normalcy.  It took her almost two years to re-form good school habits and re-engage with her friends.  She's now thriving, a straight A+ student with tons of friends and tons of activities, but even those 6 months set her back potentially years.  
So people who are debating the 6 months versus 2 years or whatever, are completely missing the point.  It's much less amount the DURATION of the event and more about the total psychological trauma induced by the event itself. 

On the COVID point, what blows me away is the venomous hatred for people who had ONLY bad choices in front of them, so, they made…one of the possible bad choices. There were no GOOD choices. Just degrees of bad…based on limited information…about a novel situation.
I was in multiple rooms where those decisions were made. I listened to people agonize about what they should do, what they could do, how helpless and despairing they felt. I answered their questions the best time could. You’re hating and blaming your friends and neighbors who did the best goddamn job they could at the time, and tried to pick the LEAST bad option. THERE WERE NO GOOD OPTIONS. And this fantasy world where they did what you wanted…and nobody got sick and died…is just that. A fucking fantasy. COVID was a traumatic experience for the world, and there was never any getting around that. So, yeah…this fucking generation was harmed by a harmful event. No fucking shit. They were going to be, no matter what.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The "kids these days are so lazy and expect everything handed to them, and their struggles are trivial compared to others"

Young people coming into the medical field now are lazy and entitled. Whiners. Now this is a field that requires hard work unlike some others, but they are generally soft as tissue paper. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

Young people coming into the medical field now are lazy and entitled. Whiners. Now this is a field that requires hard work unlike some others, but they are generally soft as tissue paper. 

This is fact…

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Anyone making an argument that times are tougher now than they have ever been is a legitimate LUNATIC. Prior generations had WW2 and Vietnam to deal with. I grew up with double digit unemployment, the constant and very real threat of nuclear armageddon, 20% mortgages 15% inflation. Cities were wastelands, oil was embargoed, NYC was the murder capital of America. People were still watching black and white TVs, pop music meant Debbie Gibson, and I remember when my school got its first computer. Cable TV, microwaves, and VCR's were brand new and costed more then than they do now.

We live in an age of massive and shared prosperity. People are obese, not starving. The existential angst has very little to do with economic privation. As a factual matter the argument is makes no sense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/29/coronavirus-vietnam-deaths/

"The main problem with the comparison between the coronavirus death toll and various armed conflicts is that those conflicts were, depending upon your perspective, elective events. The Vietnam War, in particular, came to be widely regarded as a blunder, and U.S. leaders were accused of remaining in the war far too long.

Graphic: Tracking coronavirus deaths in the United States

The coronavirus, by contrast, was something that was very likely coming to American shores no matter how aggressive the early response. It was a situation that was thrust upon us, in many ways, because of how interconnected our planet is. Around 180 countries have seen the virus come within their borders; for each of them, it was then a matter of minimizing its impact."

I’d like to throw out two additional reasons COVID was uniquely bad for young people.  Keep in mind that the 18-22 year old cohort was 14-18 in 2020. 

First, COVID was most dangerous to older people but the social consequences and responsibility fell disproportionately on the young.  There were no PPP loan vacations, no COVID speakeasies, no cheating on masking.  The kids were given the task of not making the olds sick. Unlike most crises where the grownups do all they can to ease things for the young.

Second and likely more important— young people very much need grownups to keep their shit together when things are uncertain and scary. We did NOT keep our shit together.  Vietnam is a good example, we had intense and even angry debates but we we all agreed it was serious and real.  We subjected teenagers to absolutely insane shit, apocalyptic fear from some and total conspiracy raving from others.  Takes from “it’s not real” to “all of you may die” to “fuck your dying grandma because I got an AirBnB in Panama City. “ And also announced how the doctors all lie and are making you sick. 

So I imagine there are downstream consequences when they see a good chunk of authority figures exit stage left from reality. Why should they have any trust in us going forward? 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That was also a decade ago. And was making about 25% of current salary.  So seems to be tracking with wages. 

numbers are tricky and deceptive.  can i get more anecdotes from the people with their lived experiences instead?

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What is her take on the mental health thing? Because the way the question is framed has strong vibes of “why do people in chemo die of cancer more often than people not in chemo?”

Paper by a group of non-political epidemiologists at Columbia, analyzing mental health reports of 80,000 12th graders

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8713953/

Strong inflection of psychology around 2011 (not just in recent years)

We hypothesize that increasing exposure to politicized events has contributed to these trends in adolescent internalizing symptoms, and that effects may be differential by political beliefs and sociodemographic characteristics...In light of the above-mentioned patterns, we hypothesize that political beliefs may contribute to downward trends in adolescent mental health.

nihms-1764330-f0005.thumb.jpg.bb781834aa01e4a0ad0dd1abb271648a.jpg

I love it when the people who communicate primarily in charts and think of BTC as a wealth investment vehicle come around to tell us everything is totally fine.

It definitely isn't a thing that our children's schools have been politicized by the governor or anything, or that they have been completely abandoned to fend for themselves in active shooter situations, or that they have fresh memories of the power grid going down for days just so that monopoly utility companies could save a few bucks on critical maintenance. Or hell, maybe they're worried about having their parents shipped off to Mexico for the crime of being brown in front of a racist cop in the state of Texas?

No reason whatsoever for kids to be concerned about this shit, it's not like any of it is affecting them or their families amirite?

Maybe if we didn't want our kids to be so political minded, we shouldn't give them such a goddamn dumpster fire of a society that they are highly incentived to change (through political actions)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I love it when the people who communicate primarily in charts and think of BTC as a wealth investment vehicle come around to tell us everything is totally fine.

Can you cite from the 84-page long crypto thread in which you actively participate, how much BTC I hold and what I think of it as a a "wealth investment vehicle"?

So, which line on that chart do you map to you schitzo loser?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

numbers are tricky and deceptive.  can i get more anecdotes from the people with their lived experiences instead?

Uh, this conversation started because of fatty giving us an anecdote about how he shovels 5 burgers down his mouth for $5.

It began with his anecdote about all places having $1 burgers but he later changed the story to "oh that was ten years ago."

Either way, eating five fucking burgers in your vehicle is no way to go through life.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Uh, this conversation started because of fatty giving us an anecdote about how he shovels 5 burgers down his mouth for $5.

It began with his anecdote about all places having $1 burgers but he later changed the story to "oh that was ten years ago."

Either way, eating five fucking burgers in your vehicle is no way to go through life.

he aint call himself skinny, so i respect the honesty.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Can you cite from the 84-page long crypto thread in which you actively participate, how much BTC I hold and what I think of it as a a "wealth investment vehicle"?

So, which line on that chart do you map to you schitzo loser?

So, noting again your second personal attack on me  in as many days, I was talking about your peer GRUhorn (or cumrocket, or whatever his new handle will be) with respect to the "everything is cool but buy some BTC" dude. Not everything is about you Holmes.

And dude, you should really stop calling people retards and schizos. That shit isn't cool and I don't know why imma lets you get away with it

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Also wages have not gone up by 300% in 10 years - numbers can be tricky and deceptive

dont know who you're addressing who claimed that, but wages have gone up faster than cost of groceries, and faster than total cost of living.  the only thing that matched it is the cost of eating out.

total expenditure on food for a family has never been lower.

21 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I think the paradigm has shifted and we have yet to see "peak me".  Brother, we are in for a wild ride and we might pass out for the lack of oxygen at peak "me" in America.

The "we" is no longer a coast-to-coast, stars and stripes banner we can all fit under. The "we" is micro-targeted pods of likeminded folks who share the same belief systems, who will vie for power and influence.

We see this now in "movements"; The Christian Fundamentalist movement, the LGQPT movement, the Tea Party movement, etc. 

The "We" in these pods will have to form coalitions for power and the only way to get the people's minds and hearts in this new attention economy where every product and market is competing with each other for a sliver of the 24 hours that humans aren't already overconsumed, is through emotion; fear, lust, dopamine, security, etc.

I see the future as a combination of "Me" first and "We", as described above, second.

The LGBTQ movement has been fighting since 1969. We don’t belong in your examples of the outgrowth no longer a unified Stars and Stripes. And that’s a myth by the way. LGBTQ movement is more akin to women’s suffrage and the civil rights movement. Basically all of these minority movements have exclaimed, “Hey!! WE are part of the WE!!!”

The Christian Nationalist movement’s retort is basically a revolt against inclusion, not a revolt against individualism. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Captainant said:

fresh memories of the power grid going down for days

You're a hot mess. Kids don't have "fresh memories" of that.

39 minutes ago, Captainant said:

maybe they're worried about having their parents shipped off to Mexico for the crime of being brown in front of a racist cop in the state of Texas

Again, no kids are acutely aware of, or worried about that, unless their parents or other adults bother them with it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 7

17 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

She says that over-focusing on ones own emotional state, which is championed by therapists, Social Emotional Learning advocates, and modern school counselors, leads to more instances of anxiety, emotional weakness, and depression. It's a concern about where we tell kids to focus, inwardly vs outwardly, in a way. By ruminating on "our feelings" too long or too much, we give them more power over us, not less. We feel more helpless and anxious through this self-focus.

She makes the argument that therapy is an intervention needed for people with real issues, but when applied to otherwise "normal" kids, we actually can and do cause harm. We've turned every parent into a "mini-therapist", every kid gets a diagnosis, resulting in over-intervention in our kids otherwise normal emotional development, and stunting their ability to deal themselves with negative emotions in a healthy way.

She didn't say this, but it reminded me of the classic parable of the butterfly, where the kid can't stand to see the butterfly struggle, so they help it out of the cocoon, only to watch it die from lack of wing strength. 

Someone called it high "self-regard." In the context of addiction, I can attest personally and observationally that it is a real and negative, damaging trait or behavior. 

I have often called it inward-dwelling. AA and related 12-step programs focus on service to others as a way to break out of it and find one's rightful place in the world, which oddly seems to bring peace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Paper by a group of non-political epidemiologists at Columbia, analyzing mental health reports of 80,000 12th graders

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8713953/

Strong inflection of psychology around 2011 (not just in recent years)

nihms-1764330-f0005.thumb.jpg.bb781834aa01e4a0ad0dd1abb271648a.jpg

Bullshit (the hypothesis, not the post).  These time periods directly correlate to the advent and growth of social media. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Anyone making an argument that times are tougher now than they have ever been is a legitimate LUNATIC. Prior generations had WW2 and Vietnam to deal with. I grew up with double digit unemployment, the constant and very real threat of nuclear armageddon, 20% mortgages 15% inflation. Cities were wastelands, oil was embargoed, NYC was the murder capital of America. People were still watching black and white TVs, pop music meant Debbie Gibson, and I remember when my school got its first computer. Cable TV, microwaves, and VCR's were brand new and costed more then than they do now.

We live in an age of massive and shared prosperity. People are obese, not starving. The existential angst has very little to do with economic privation. As a factual matter the argument is makes no sense.

It's not about comparing your struggles vs. theirs. It's about still being able to empathize with them and acknowledging that their struggles--while different than previous generations--are still real, rather than being dismissive and condescending.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Someone called it high "self-regard." In the context of addiction, I can attest personally and observationally that it is a real and negative, damaging trait or behavior. 

I have often called it inward-dwelling. AA and related 12-step programs focus on service to others as a way to break out of it and find one's rightful place in the world, which oddly seems to bring peace. 

Serving others, spending time outdoors, and exercise are free/low cost things everyone can do that will improve your mental health more than just about anything.  

I walk a few miles while listening to the Gospel preached every morning.  Best thing I do every day for my state of mind and well being while costing virtually nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Bullshit (the hypothesis, not the post).  These time periods directly correlate to the advent and growth of social media. 

The authors strike out social media use as "neither a strong nor consistent risk factor of depressive affect" , citing another study of 70,000 high schoolers from 2009-2017 (common co-author in both papers)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7876159/

18 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Fast food is not cheap these days.  Other than occasional Chic Fil A, the cost plus the calories make it really easy to skip for me.

I can literally order a pound of chicken fajitas that comes with sides for pretty close to the cost of Whataburger to feed our family of four.  And with the fajitas, there is usually enough rice, beans, and tortillas left over (and sometimes chicken), where I can get a couple work lunches out of it.

Chic Fil A last night for my family of four (me, wife no pics, 8 year old, 5 year old).  $56.  There were 2 nuggets leftover.  Fml.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Chic Fil A last night for my family of four (me, wife no pics, 8 year old, 5 year old).  $56.  There were 2 nuggets leftover.  Fml.

MMMMM. The Lord's chicken. Never leftovers at our house.

• Fuck You 2

I have a Chik Fil A in the cafeteria at one of my jobs. I get 10% off when I swipe my employee ID. My total on my last order, for me, was $41. Y’all some skinny fuckers.