Texas Basketball 2024-25

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Tre Johnson lit up the McDonald’s All-American game. 6-9 from the floor 5-7 from 3, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists in 23 minutes. 

Think the official box score might’ve had an error somewhere too because he had 5 threes, the dunk, and a turnaround mid-range shot that I remember. Had to gif this one on Cooper Flagg to send to a Duke friend.

IMG_6371.gif.a58eb8d7d8aa143826e6beb3313c30ed.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

battle shot 88% from the line on 6.7 FTA/gm. FTA/gm is arguably RT’s biggest weakness throughout his HC career. i’d welcome a player who gets to the line that much and shoots at that clip. 

Yeah, I said this in the recruiting thread.

We should be all over Battle. He gets downhill and to the FT line a ton. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1558edd7163d2d5537da4d2814c74936.jpeg

I figured some of our top targets weren't reporting contact with the reporters on Twitter because there's literally no need but good to hear. 

Transfer ranks and writeups from Sam Vecenie/CJ Moore on these guys and the others we've contacted in the Athletic top 100 transfer rankings

Johnell Davis #2

Davis is testing the NBA Draft waters again for the second straight year while also entering the portal. Davis is a worker who went from averaging 3.2 points per game as a freshman to averaging 18.2 as a senior and being named the co-American Athletic Conference Player of the Year. He is one of the best scorers in the portal and has turned himself into an elite shooter, knocking down 41.4 percent of his 3s this past season. He plays bigger than his size and is a strong outside-of-his area rebounder, averaging 6.3 boards per game.

After playing on a balanced scoring team during FAU’s 2023 Final Four run, Davis showed this season he could be a high-usage scorer. He’s good off the catch, and as a righty who prefers to drive left, he also can put the ball on the floor to score at all three levels. He was at his best in big games, averaging 20.8 points against the six high majors on FAU’s schedule and scoring a season-high 35 points against Arizona. Davis is also a willing passer when he gets downhill. He’s always been turnover-prone, which is partly due to his aggressiveness.

He will be a target for high majors looking for a perimeter scorer. The possibility of Davis following coach Dusty May to Michigan is an obvious one. — C.J. Moore

Malick Mack #5

Mack was arguably the most productive freshman guard in the country this season. The Prince George’s County, Md. native averaged 17.2 points, four rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.3 steals per game, though his 3-point percentage tailed off in the latter stages of Ivy League play. Still, he was a deserved Ivy League Rookie of the Year, and his play at such a young age in what was a strong season for the conference was remarkable.

The lefty guard can score from all three levels in the pick-and-roll. If he cannot find an easy bucket in transition, he’ll quickly use a ball screen to try to get into the teeth of the defense. He attempted about three shots at the rim per game in halfcourt situations this season, per Synergy, and used an occasional floater or pull-up midrange jumper as a counter. When opponents went under his screens, he comfortably stopped and popped from distance, making about one pull-up 3 per game.

But Mack is especially appealing for a high-major school because he combines that skill with a strong off-ball game. Harvard used him to attack off the catch a fair amount last season, allowing him to generate spot-up 3s, midrange jumpers or drives all the way to the rim when opponents closed out aggressively. His combination of speed and shake off the dribble is hard to stop once he gets a head of steam.

On top of all that, Mack can really pass. He’s excellent at drawing defenders to him before hitting his roller with a variety of pocket passes and lobs. He’s comfortable playing off two feet, with a poised, patient style.

Many scouts see Mack as a potential NBA player, and I bet he’ll make an all-conference team as an upperclassman. Every school in the Washington, D.C. area should be checking in, as should just about everyone nationally. — Sam Vecenie

AJ Storr #11

Storr was the best player on a Wisconsin team that ended up with a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 16.8 points and 3.9 rebounds on his way to second-team All-Big East, although his overall game does leave something to be desired beyond the scoring.

The good news is that it’s really hard to stop him from scoring. He’s a big-time athlete out in transition and as a driver or cutter to the rim. That makes him a mismatch nightmare within college basketball. Once he gets a bit of downhill steam, he’s going to get to the basket. Storr takes a ton of contested shots and doesn’t really see the floor all that well in finding teammates for dump-off passes or kickouts. Storr made just 53.6 percent of his halfcourt attempts at the rim, per Synergy, a rough number for someone this big and strong.

Whether or not he’s able to be the lead guy on a great team will come down to him continuing to develop as a decision maker and as a shooter. Storr is also declaring for the NBA Draft, but I’d be surprised to see him go pro given what the likely NIL offers for him will be. Any team in need of someone who can get a reasonable look at the basket should absolutely recruit Storr. But it would benefit him, as well, if that team also has multiple options so that he can slot nicely into a role as a finisher. — Sam Vecenie 

Brandon Garrison #17

A top-40 recruit in the 2023 recruiting class, Garrison showed a ton of flashes in his only season with the Cowboys. The most promising ones were on defense, where Garrison is an athletic shot blocker whose length really plays up. He can block shots with both hands and improved his positioning in drop pick-and-roll coverage throughout the season. While he played a role in Oklahoma State having one of the Big 12’s worst defenses, he, like the team’s other bigs, was often hung out to dry by guards failing to stay in front of anyone. With more experience and in a more structured scheme, I expect Garrison to become a serious impact defender.

On offense, Garrison’s range doesn’t extend far beyond finishing around the rim. However, I liked him most in ball-screens, where he showcased his mobility and created a great target for his guards with well-timed rolls. Garrison also flashed serious passing chops in hand-offs and give-and-gos with his guards, as well as in short rolls and the pivot. He needs to improve as a post-up player; he seemed to have trouble getting a foothold on the block at times. But Garrison made about 77 percent of his shots at the rim this year, and it was all those low-efficiency hook shots and midrange post jumpers that dragged his overall field goal percentage down to 57 percent.

Still, he averaged 7.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game in a loaded Big 12 that featured a ton of great bigs. I’d bet on him being an excellent multi-year starter for even the highest-level programs in the country, with all-conference upside as an upperclassman.  — Sam Vecenie

Malik Dia #42

Dia was one of the breakout players across college basketball this season. After averaging just 2.6 points for Vanderbilt in the 2022-23 season, Dia went across the road to Belmont and became an immediate All-Missouri Valley contributor. He averaged 16.9 points and nearly six rebounds per game, knocked down 34 percent of his 3s as a floor-spacing big man and was a matchup nightmare at that level.

Dia moves incredibly well for a big-bodied 240-pound forward, with the capability to slash and drive around bigger players to get all the way to the rim. Yet if he has a smaller player on the block, he can put his shoulder into them and get to the basket that way. His handle is clean and he draws fouls on drives and post-ups.

His jumper is a smooth set shot that looks clean coming out of his hand. His shooting off the bounce isn’t consistent enough yet, but he can get to it off the catch, out of pick-and-pops or even the occasional step back. By the latter portion of the season, he showed some playmaking chops off the bounce. At Belmont, when he was on the court, the entire offense went through him. Honestly, he’s clearly skilled enough to play at the high-major level.

One downside to his game is he was a bit of a black hole at times this season. He has a tendency to overdribble into bad spots and settle for contested jumpers. The improved passing he showed later in the season needs to be there more consistently, and he’ll need to excise the 20-percent share of difficult shots from his diet to become a more efficient scorer.

Dia is clearly gifted, though, and has significant upside if he can find a well-spaced system that allows him to hunt driving lanes and play in space. — Sam Vecenie

Carey Booth #64

Booth, a four-star recruit coming out of high school and the son of 10-year NBA veteran and current Denver Nuggets general manager Calvin Booth, averaged 6.4 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season while making 19 starts.

The younger Booth preferred to hang around the perimeter at Notre Dame, taking more 3s (118) than 2s (74). The problem was he wasn’t very efficient, making only 29.7 percent of his triples. Run him off the line, and he was even worse, struggling to make pull-up jumpers. I don’t love his shot mechanics; he brings the ball close to his face as he starts his shooting motion and has a low release, which negates the perks of being a big man who can shoot.

But there is reason to be optimistic about the player he could become. While he played as a stretch four for the Fighting Irish, his best college position is probably as a center in a five-out offense, especially if he’s ever able to consistently make his jumper. He’ll need to get stronger to play that spot, but he has a good frame for a young player and was a solid team defender who was usually in the right spot.

He’s still 18 and doesn’t turn 19 until July. — C.J. Moore 

Bryce Pope #95

Pope is a terrific, versatile scorer who has finished top-five in the Big West in scoring each of the last two seasons. An off-guard scorer, Pope was responsible for a significant amount of the team’s offensive creation despite not exactly being a lead guard. He may possess the prettiest finger roll in all of college hoops.

Pope is constantly hunting for his own shot, whether in transition, in the pick-and-roll or flying off screens. He could score at all three levels in the Big West, countering his drives to the paint with short range shots, floaters and pull-up 3s. He’s not quite an elite shooter — he has a funky high release and wrist motion — but uses constant motion to keep defenders honest. He’s also quite strong, and seems to absorb contact well.

I’m a bit skeptical of his game translating to a high major unless he becomes an absolute flame thrower from distance. He may be best served going to a school in the Mountain West Conference, which offers a jump in competition, but not a significant enough one to force him to change his game. But high-major schools like Cal, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and others who have reportedly reached out to him are also decent fits given their offensive schemes. I don’t think he’ll average 18 points per game at that level, but he could at least start at schools like those. — Sam Vecenie

We might have more to add when they update their rankings 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

They know that our alums have a lot of expendable money to waste. 

LOL at thinking they looked at rosters and not just names. 

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

What do ESPN and FanDuel know about next years squad that others do not because…

Spoiler

Cheap shot/ They know that Hunter and Mitchell are playing elsewhere.\cheap shot. 

I don't know why I can never remember this, but how does it work when you transfer out of a Service Academy?

Also there's "I creamed in your mom's portal" joke in here somewhere.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't know why I can never remember this, but how does it work when you transfer out of a Service Academy?

It works like normal if you’re transferring out of a service academy, but I think you have to do it before your junior year.

Can’t transfer into one though, they don’t take transfer credits. Service academies also are not allowed to do any kind of NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Also there's "I creamed in your mom's portal" joke in here somewhere.  

12 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

It works like normal if you’re transferring out of a service academy, but I think you have to do it before your junior year.

Can’t transfer into one though, they don’t take transfer credits. Service academies also are not allowed to do any kind of NIL.

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I knew they didn’t accept credit transfers.  I was just wondering about portal rules, NIL, number of years of eligibility and all that other athletics related stuff.  

@Lonestar88 is correct about everything they said. At the AFA, they have Field Training the summer after their sophomore year. Upon completion, they are locked into their commitment. That's why you'll see a lot of transfers right before that. It works the same at the other service academies, but with varying names.

As far as portal rules, NIL, years of eligibility: it's all the same once someone transfers.

Interestingly, active duty military service is one of the only avenues for someone to preserve eligibility under the traditional "five years to play four" model. That's why you'll see older NCAA athletes who are vets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Next year is going to be an interesting year.  Right now you have juniors (like Hunter) who are playing against guys 2 years older and more experienced than them (thanks to Covid).  The more experienced guards typically win in March (as evidenced by UConn just winning the title with a pair of 5th year guards).  And every good team has a number of these players.  Most of the good tourney teams had 3-4, we had four ourselves.

Next year, those juniors are going to go from being relatively inexperienced, to being the most experienced players in college basketball.  I really think it is crazy to want Hunter to hit the portal.  He is going to look much better next year going against younger players, and that isn't even factoring in another year of offseason shooting and maturity.   Plus the team is in desperate need of some continuity with all the guys graduating.

I badly want Hunter and Mitchell to stay and I want us to put better, more complementary pieces around them this year. 

Weaver + Hunter + Tre Johnson + Dillon Mitchell + Kadin Shedrick (plus an elite lead guard and an elite big man) could be a very good team in 2024-2025 as talent and experience level in CBB takes a step back. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Next year is going to be an interesting year.  Right now you have juniors (like Hunter) who are playing against guys 2 years older and more experienced than them (thanks to Covid).  The more experienced guards typically win in March (as evidenced by UConn just winning the title with a pair of 5th year guards).  And every good team has a number of these players.  Most of the good tourney teams had 3-4, we had four ourselves.

Next year, those juniors are going to go from being relatively inexperienced, to being the most experienced players in college basketball.  I really think it is crazy to want Hunter to hit the portal.  He is going to look much better next year going against younger players, and that isn't even factoring in another year of offseason shooting and maturity.   Plus the team is in desperate need of some continuity with all the guys graduating.

I badly want Hunter and Mitchell to stay and I want us to put better, more complementary pieces around them this year. 

Weaver + Hunter + Tre Johnson + Dillon Mitchell + Kadin Shedrick (plus an elite lead guard and an elite big man) could be a very good team in 2024-2025 as talent and experience level in CBB takes a step back. 

I agree as to Hunter and Mitchell.  I hope they come back. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I completely agree.  They're the devils we know.  People get frustrated with Mitchell's play, but he was much better this year than last.  Everyone is dazzled by his athleticism and expect more than he is ready to give.  Hunter mostly needs to mature.  Both are capable of being solid contributors that we don't have to hope might work out like most portal guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I completely agree.  They're the devils we know.  People get frustrated with Mitchell's play, but he was much better this year than last.  Everyone is dazzled by his athleticism and expect more than he is ready to give.  Hunter mostly needs to mature.  Both are capable of being solid contributors that we don't have to hope might work out like most portal guys.

I think this is the main problem. Most would be fine having Mitchell and Hunter back if they are just 1) role players and 2) don't require much NIL allocation. 

Seems unlikely but I think it was @closetojumpingthat suggested Mitchell looked around last year and didn't get any takers at the price he wanted. Maybe the same is true this cycle. 

Mitchell is currently the #1 rebounder and #1 FG% returning player in the SEC. He is #3 in blocks + steals and defensive win shares.  Hunter is the SEC #2 returning player in assists. 

Obviously transfers could move them both down a little, but either way they would some of the top returning players in the SEC.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Mitchell is currently the #1 rebounder and #1 FG% returning player in the SEC. He is #3 in blocks + steals and defensive win shares.  Hunter is the SEC #2 returning player in assists. 

Obviously transfers could move them both down a little, but either way they would some of the top returning players in the SEC.  

<Insert Mitchell shot chart here>

Visitors expected in the next 10 days according to Gerry

• Chris Youngblood, G, USF (15.3 PPG, 40% from 3)
  • Robbie Avila, C, Indiana State (17.1 PPG)
  • Julian Larry, G, Indiana State (11 PPG)
  • Brandon Garrison, C, Oklahoma State (expected to visit for spring game next weekend)
  • Malik Mack, G, Harvard (17.2 PPG)
  • Jordan Pope, G, Oregon State (17.6 PPG)
  • Rytis Petraitis, F, Air Force (15.7 PPG)
  • Hook 'Em 4

Jamie Shaw (On3 national basketball guy) with some portal intel on a few guys

PG Julian Larry, Indiana State

INTEL: Julian Larry started 108 games over his four seasons at Indiana State. The 6-foot-3 lead guard who is originally from Frisco, Texas earned first-team MVC All-Defense for the second consecutive season this year. He finished second in the league with 188 assists and he led the MVC in steals with 59. I am told Larry will take his first visit this weekend, and Texas will get the visit. One source told me that the visit is worth monitoring. Larry, who shot 46.2 percent from three on the season, has also heard from programs like Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and others. His Indiana State head coach Josh Shertz was recently named the head coach at Saint Louis. I am told that he will go through the recruiting process, so continue to see where he sets visits.

PF Carey Booth, Notre Dame

INTEL: Carey Booth, the son of Denver Nuggets General Manager Calvin Booth, is a former top 100 prospect. The 6-foot-10 Booth ended his freshman year at Notre Dame with 19 starts in 33 games played. In his starts, Booth averaged 7.1 points and 5.0 rebounds. When I spoke with Booth last week, he mentioned programs like Ohio State, Illinois, Colorado State, Michigan, Texas, and Illinois. Booth has scheduled his first two official visits. He goes to Illinois on April 12 and then to Colorado State on April 14. Illinois gets Booth on campus first. Continue to watch for a commitment timeline and if he goes on any other visits.

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

PG Julian Larry, Indiana State

This is exactly the kind of player we need, especially if Hunter is the other guard.  6'3 point guard who is a 2-time all-conference defender, while also being an excellent distributor and as a bonus, can hit 3s at a very efficient rate.  Yes, please.  Moreover, he seems happy with a lower usage (~15%). And as a final, critical point, he has experience leading a very successful team.  Indiana State was 32-7 last year and finished #38 in KenPom.  Way better fit than someone like AJ Storr in my view.

I'm not as excited about Carey Booth.  Dude was not really very impactful in any way.  We don't need more bigs like Onyema (who was better than Booth in just about every stat on a per 100 possessions or per 40 minute basis).  We need to go out and get an ELITE big man who can rim protect and rebound at a high level.  Someone aggressive. 

For me this was the big issue with our team last year. We played soft, mainly in the paint. And as much as I love Disu, when he was our center, we were a pretty soft team.  And Shedrick didn't help much in that regard either.  Christian Bishop was much more of a dawg down low than either of them.  RT needs to fix that in the portal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

This is exactly the kind of player we need, especially if Hunter is the other guard.  6'3 point guard who is a 2-time all-conference defender, while also being an excellent distributor and as a bonus, can hit 3s at a very efficient rate.  Yes, please.  Moreover, he seems happy with a lower usage (~15%). And as a final, critical point, he has experience leading a very successful team.  Indiana State was 32-7 last year and finished #38 in KenPom.  Way better fit than someone like AJ Storr in my view.

I'm not as excited about Carey Booth.  Dude was not really very impactful in any way.  We don't need more bigs like Onyema (who was better than Booth in just about every stat on a per 100 possessions or per 40 minute basis).  We need to go out and get an ELITE big man who can rim protect and rebound at a high level.  Someone aggressive. 

For me this was the big issue with our team last year. We played soft, mainly in the paint. And as much as I love Disu, when he was our center, we were a pretty soft team.  And Shedrick didn't help much in that regard either.  Christian Bishop was much more of a dawg down low than either of them.  RT needs to fix that in the portal.  

Agreed on both. On3’s national update didn’t seem to consider us too much of a threat for Booth at least. For Julian Larry they mentioned they are “keeping an eye” on this Texas visit, but additional OVs are likely.

Goddamn I would love it if Avila isn’t a SLU lock and actually visits.