immamac has permabanmed me against bob’s wishes. read this thread before it disappears.

If some of you, like me, have been struggling to better understand the conflict, go to the Fire Rodney Terry thread and start with post 2060. Then quickly scan the Derka interactions to the end. You will see three things happening:

1. Derka banging the concept strongly (irritatingly?) that Terry was the wrong choice and a lot of posters unhappy with that.

2. Some pretty aggressive responses to his views. 

3. Him pointing out that aggressiveness. 

4. A few subtle shots at him. 

I compared my thought process when I originally read those posts awhile back to when I read them now. 

When I scan threads I usually do it quickly and skip over stuff, never reading anything too closely. Originally, I remember thinking that Derka always calls other posters combative when they are just disagreeing with him. So it seemed like he was starting fights. 

Now when I read them after seeing this thread I do see how some of the comments towards him are either more aggressive or subtle jabs. The reason I didn’t notice them before is because I often see other people  on the receiving end of similar styles of posts. 

So in my opinion, I see both sides of the issue. Derka probably is the recipient of more aggressive posts. There are other posters on surly that also are often on the receiving end of aggressive posts. Derka struggles more than others to take that, and hence this thread. 

Maybe everyone on this site should just tone down the rhetoric a bit in general. Being personally mean to people isn’t very healthy for anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah boss Hogg shouldn’t be around that’s a mistake. I seriously thought we banned him. Maybe it was just a long timeout. I don’t claim to have a perfect pulse on the board it’s quite the opposite, but when something gets raised or reported I do look into stuff only I can see and look for patterns. 

GRUhorn has had an active handle on surly in perpetuity since his initial ban. He frequently builds up post count and rep on the 6th St Journal board, and then starts to branch out to the other boards and eventually gets ID'd and popped. 

Rinse and repeat

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If some of you, like me, have been struggling to better understand the conflict, go to the Fire Rodney Terry thread and start with post 2060. Then quickly scan the Derka interactions to the end. You will see three things happening:

1. Derka banging the concept strongly (irritatingly?) that Terry was the wrong choice and a lot of posters unhappy with that.

2. Some pretty aggressive responses to his views. 

3. Him pointing out that aggressiveness. 

4. A few subtle shots at him. 

I compared my thought process when I originally read those posts awhile back to when I read them now. 

When I scan threads I usually do it quickly and skip over stuff, never reading anything too closely. Originally, I remember thinking that Derka always calls other posters combative when they are just disagreeing with him. So it seemed like he was starting fights. 

Now when I read them after seeing this thread I do see how some of the comments towards him are either more aggressive or subtle jabs. The reason I didn’t notice them before is because I often see other people  on the receiving end of similar styles of posts. 

So in my opinion, I see both sides of the issue. Derka probably is the recipient of more aggressive posts. There are other posters on surly that also are often on the receiving end of aggressive posts. Derka struggles more than others to take that, and hence this thread. 

Maybe everyone on this site should just tone down the rhetoric a bit in general. Being personally mean to people isn’t very healthy for anyone. 

That’s pretty much it, but sometimes the shots aren’t so subtle and when you see the same posters engaging him and telling him to take care of himself or to take a break or what have you while being aggressive it becomes clear it’s gas lighting and bullying.  Some times folks jump in and tell both to knock it off but neither will for a period of time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Um it’s just the internet you know. Not real life. 

I will say for a football school, the basketball board is way too intense. Even in the dark ages of near end of career Mack Brown and Strong and Herman the football board was coherent and fun.  Didn’t Deloss tell CDC that only two sports matter at Texas- football and baseball. 

What in the fuck is going on? Seriously 

The site is called Surly. I don' think we can ever 100% agree on anything besides OU hate and cancer. Yet, we still want to play OU every year in the cotton bowl and we have been fooled by fake cancer in the past. I disagree with Immamac 50% of the time. I disagree with Durka 50% of the time. Guess what? I don't care. 

No way in hell should anyone take this place or what people say here personally. ITS A MESSAGE BOARD FOR CHRIST SAKE. 

Ignore people you disagree/dislike and engage with people you agree/ like or try to have a civil discussion with the opposite side (rarely happens here). Create friendships outside of the board and have frenemies on the board. When it gets too much take a break from the place

Some of you assholes need to get a dog.

9b164ebb-1f12-475b-aead-5d3adc68bcdf_tex

You join a site for enjoyment. Leave if you are not getting enjoyment. Be happy in your environment or try to be happy and change your environment or be unhappy and find a new environment to be happy. I like Surly for the scum and villainy. I like the craziness and everyone's dumb opinions on the left and right. Really like the tits. I love all you. . . .

tenor.gif?itemid=5151673

not really

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

GRUhorn has had an active handle on surly in perpetuity since his initial ban. He frequently builds up post count and rep on the 6th St Journal board, and then starts to branch out to the other boards and eventually gets ID'd and popped. 

Rinse and repeat

To be fair, it's next to impossible for board admins to get rid of someone that knows how to use a VPN. IP banning someone was only foolproof back when no one knew anything about the Internet.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

To be fair, it's next to impossible for board admins to get rid of someone that knows how to use a VPN. IP banning someone was only foolproof back when no one knew anything about the Internet.

agreed. So what’s the point of banning derka in a VPN era?

banning him is stupid even without vpn.   He’s a net positive and I used to neg him constantly. People can change. 

Motown should be banned simply for Motown referring to Morgantown and not Detroit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

There was a simple solution to this issue and Derka chose to set fire to everything instead. That puts the mods in a no win situation at that point, so here we are with another in the long list of Derka threads. This is iteration # who knows at this point of this same/similar thread. Every so often things with Derka come to a head and we get this and he takes some time off and usually comes back better. It’s a problem and puts the site owners in a weird predicament that I would not want to deal with either. 

I like Derka as a poster, but I don’t engage with him any more. If you don’t agree with him then it quickly goes off the rails and turns into an everyone is against me discussion and everyone else is an idiot. It’s pretty easy to just skip on by. For those on team Derka, maybe spend a little less time arguing with Imma and a little more time explaining to Derka how sometimes you just have to do what you’re told by those in charge to get by. 

Saying all of that, the discussion in this thread and the number of people that always end up posting in it prove how much value Derka brings/has brought to the community. There are very few other posters that are going to get this many pages of discussion on their exit and it will be a net loss if he is gone. Derka needs to work his shit out with imma, take a break, and then he should be allowed back. Maybe ban him for a month every 6 months or so to give him a chance to reset.

Can we talk about tipping?  What's up with that? 

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

There was a simple solution to this issue and Derka chose to set fire to everything instead. That puts the mods in a no win situation at that point, so here we are with another in the long list of Derka threads. This is iteration # who knows at this point of this same/similar thread. Every so often things with Derka come to a head and we get this and he takes some time off and usually comes back better. It’s a problem and puts the site owners in a weird predicament that I would not want to deal with either. 

I like Derka as a poster, but I don’t engage with him any more. If you don’t agree with him then it quickly goes off the rails and turns into an everyone is against me discussion and everyone else is an idiot. It’s pretty easy to just skip on by. For those on team Derka, maybe spend a little less time arguing with Imma and a little more time explaining to Derka how sometimes you just have to do what you’re told by those in charge to get by. 

Saying all of that, the discussion in this thread and the number of people that always end up posting in it prove how much value Derka brings/has brought to the community. There are very few other posters that are going to get this many pages of discussion on their exit and it will be a net loss if he is gone. Derka needs to work his shit out with imma, take a break, and then he should be allowed back. Maybe ban him for a month every 6 months or so to give him a chance to reset.

I’ve explained to Derka he needs to bide his time, ignore mo and accept imma’s approach. It took damn well near 7-8 years to convince this place that tranny and other similar slurs are offensive and should be off limits and I fucking left right before they made that decision. Johnny Sack’s and immortal13, immaculate vibes and a bunch of other trolls view points were held in more esteem than mine - for years. Let that sink in for a hot minute.

The gay mafia here spent at least as long getting the term faggot on the bannable list of slurs.

mental health challenges is even harder because the self-sabotage. At least I was able to weather the storm, advocate for myself and be patient. Change takes time.

But repeatedly insulting and railing on the owner won’t help. And in fact it will get you banned. But to acknowledge Derka’s considerable short comings without acknowledging grown men with no mental health excuse engage him and gas light him - because we are surly assholes - is disingenuous. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

That’s pretty much it, but sometimes the shots aren’t so subtle and when you see the same posters engaging him and telling him to take care of himself or to take a break or what have you while being aggressive it becomes clear it’s gas lighting and bullying.  Some times folks jump in and tell both to knock it off but neither will for a period of time. 

I don’t understand. I think many wish him well because he is a likable guy, and many recognize that this place oftentimes is the antithesis of therapeutic for him. When I see suggestions of taking a break I view them as genuine concern for his well being and not bullying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t understand. I think many wish him well because he is a likable guy, and many recognize that this place oftentimes is the antithesis of therapeutic for him. When I see suggestions of taking a break I view them as genuine concern for his well being and not bullying. 

You need to understand what gas lighting is. If I go in and tell Derka to step away and take a break that’s genuine. Because I’m not baiting him. If you are the one that goes in and gets him riled up then you tell him to take a break and focus on his health you are blaming him for what you created. Two entirely different motivations. Any grown man who is arguing with Derka after the second back and forth is either (1) also suffering mental difficulties, or (2) is truly a mean person.

It’s not hard to engage with him, disagree and if he argues back respond once more and back out. De-escalation isn’t hard. And disengaging isn’t hard. Yet some guys here who probably have successful careers and home lives built around conflict management, disengagement, de-escalation and understanding can’t do it here with a young man who admittedly has difficulty. Yeah fuck that bullshit all to hell. Makes me ashamed to share this board with some of you. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

WTF is VPN?

I barely know what IP is from the IPIHB forum.

An IP is an identifier used by your computer to use the internet. Typically you get assigned the same IP by your cable modem. If you leave your cable modem off for few hours, you’ll get assigned a new IP. But most people don’t do this & pretty consistently get assigned the same IP for months at a time  

When your account gets banned, you can no longer use the account but you can create a new account & start over. 

When you get permaban’d, your account gets banned AND Surly tracks your home IP and won’t let you create a new account from that IP anymore (and maybe even prevent access to the website at all). This effectively prevents a specific person from using the website. 

A VPN is a service that is used to encrypt/prevent others from looking at your web traffic. But it also has the added benefit of changing the IP address Surly sees when you visit. If he used a VPN,  Derka’s account would be still deactivated but the permaban wouldn’t completely work since he could create new accounts & use the site. 

This then would most likely lead to imamac playing wack-a-mole & permabanning each account & IP that Derka use. Identifying Derka would be relatively easy due to his known writing style but requires annoying work by Imamac.

And this is one example of why people get burned out running message boards. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, troph said:

But repeatedly insulting and railing on the owner won’t help. And in fact it will get you banned. But to acknowledge Derka’s considerable short comings without acknowledging grown men with no mental health excuse engage him and gas light him - because we are surly assholes - is disingenuous. 

No doubt, but I’ve also seen plenty of threads over the years where disagreeing with Derka on something that is strictly an opinion results in Derka saying people are bullying him or going scorched earth. It has happened more times than I can count. Usually he steps away and comes back and is in a better place for a while until it comes up again.

Using the term bully in today’s online environment can be problematic. I don’t participate in the same threads he does, so I cannot speak to whether it is or isn’t. However, I can speak to a fairly easy solution to dealing with it, which is put him on ignore instead of trying to be a moderator. It’s an online community, you hold all the control over who you interact with and Derka is making the active choice not to do his part to control it. Instead he is choosing scorched earth which is the most “Derka” thing he can do.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What gets me is that posters antagonize Derka even in the fucking Rick Barnes thread. Almost a decade after his firing. If ever there was a place on the internet to let Derka cook, it's there. Instead, some purposely seek him out to prod him, then act indignant when he "Derkas it up". No shit, Sherlock. It's the RICK BARNES thread. Derka is INCREDIBLY easy to avoid with almost zero effort. Unlike the trolls, he sticks to a small handful of threads. But it's clear that some take pleasure in the drama that Derka creates.

You don't have to like him; you don't have to sympathize with him; it's not your responsibility as an anonymous message board poster to look after his mental health or make him better

...but how big of a piece of shit do you have to be to actively try to make him worse, so you can point and laugh?

That said, I understand the predicament that it puts the mods in having someone who takes his standing and treatment within the community so deeply personally. Deriving self worth from the internet is a dangerous game, so, if this ban is permanent, I sincerely hope a lot of good comes out of it in the long run.

Was thinking the same thing with regard to the Barnes thread, sharks be circling whenever Rick loses a game or is knocked out of the NCAAT.  You said it much better than I could have. 

• Like 1

It’s going to feel odd without Derka around. He’s been on the same site as some of us for twenty years. I see both points but to me he’s a net positive for the board and has definitely gotten better over the years.  I’ve disagreed with him before of course, but I’ve never had a problem with him because I don’t sit there and keep egging him on like many do.  People have been combative with him for no reason for years just because they know they can get under his skin.  Some posters are much worse than Derka and it seems like a 1/4th of their post are calling people dumbass, ect and straight up attacking people.  Also doesn’t bother me because I just keep scrolling because people with that much hate must be miserable in their everyday life.  

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ve explained to Derka he needs to bide his time, ignore mo and accept imma’s approach. It took damn well near 7-8 years to convince this place that tranny and other similar slurs are offensive and should be off limits and I fucking left right before they made that decision. Johnny Sack’s and immortal13, immaculate vibes and a bunch of other trolls view points were held in more esteem than mine - for years. Let that sink in for a hot minute.

The gay mafia here spent at least as long getting the term faggot on the bannable list of slurs.

mental health challenges is even harder because the self-sabotage. At least I was able to weather the storm, advocate for myself and be patient. Change takes time.

Hey, @Frank Drebin why did you change your username? Have you ever owned up to your bigoted viewpoints?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

No doubt, but I’ve also seen plenty of threads over the years where disagreeing with Derka on something that is strictly an opinion results in Derka saying people are bullying him or going scorched earth. It has happened more times than I can count. Usually he steps away and comes back and is in a better place for a while until it comes up again.

Using the term bully in today’s online environment can be problematic. I don’t participate in the same threads he does, so I cannot speak to whether it is or isn’t. However, I can speak to a fairly easy solution to dealing with it, which is put him on ignore instead of trying to be a moderator. It’s an online community, you hold all the control over who you interact with and Derka is making the active choice not to do his part to control it. Instead he is choosing scorched earth which is the most “Derka” thing he can do.

I like Derka's contributions on the basketball board, but the abuse and name calling (dare I say bullying?) from Derka towards Immamac is banworthy. I don't want Derka to leave and enjoy his tennis contributions as well, but the first pages were beyond offensive. 

I think we need a truly impartial and objective view @JosephStang 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Truly prime content would be a livestream of Surly Court, immamac presiding, with real lawyers on both sides arguing the case.

Only if they wear white wigs, frilly tops, hose and high heels, because horse riding you know. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

There was a simple solution to this issue

bob and i were 99.9% of the way to that solution, and im not the one who came in and blew the whole thing up. 

again, you either trust bob’s judgment or immamac’s. bob was ready to permaban motown for bullying/directly and repeatedly disobeying the one rule bob gave him. since when do you know bob to take IP banning lightly? 

then immamac comes in, totally out of the loop, overrides and undoes everything bob has been doing in this matter, suddenly threatens to ban ME, the guy who has been following bob’s insteuctions/working with no IRL, then makes this thread a banner at the top of every page to draw attention to it and, in his mind, start a derka pile-on. he’s proud of himself for this.

so you either trust bob’s judgment or immamac’s. it really is that simple. and if you trust bob, then you cannot possibly condone a single decision that immamac has made throughout this entire process.

Posted (edited)

The choice is not between the judgment or character of either Immamac or BL.

It is a question of rank between an owner and a mod.

The owner has offered remedies to the situation, which have been refused.  Now all of your hopes lie with what a mod told you in a side discussion, and even with that, it is a direct result of your own refusal to remedy the situation in a manner that is reasonable, yet differs from your preference.

Edited by Iceman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Iceman said:

what a mod told you in a side discussion

What I want to know is why this mod's judgment was abruptly disregarded. It might make sense to me if motown was some sort of elite poster who drives engagement and good for business, or if what motown was being banned for was not even arguably bannable.

Like I said before, I don't like disputes to be resolved on the basis of who has more rep (clearly that's Derka), but that's less problematic to me than the particular circumstances being reported by Derka. According to him, an attempt to handle this matter face-to-face by a mod who went above and beyond and all his work that went into that was totally scrapped.

Like Iceman says,

22 minutes ago, Iceman said:

question of rank between an owner and a mod.

That can be true and unpersuasive at the same time. I'm expressing a Jeff Goldblum-ian concern about the should moreso than the could.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

What I want to know is why this mod's judgment was abruptly disregarded. It might make sense to me if motown was some sort of elite poster who drives engagement and good for business, or if what motown was being banned for was not even arguably bannable.

Like I said before, I don't like disputes to be resolved on the basis of who has more rep (clearly that's Derka), but that's less problematic to me than the particular circumstances being reported by Derka. According to him, an attempt to handle this matter face-to-face by a mod who went above and beyond and all his work that went into that was totally scrapped.

Like Iceman says,

That can be true and unpersuasive at the same time. I'm expressing a Jeff Goldblum-ian concern about the should moreso than the could.

He laid out his reasoning earlier in the thread. On the mod/owner issue, I’m not going to speak for black lab, but that involvement sounds a whole lot more like trying to look out for / help Derka’s well being than dealing with a random poster from the internet. I commend him for the personal involvement. Derka is clearly in one of those times he could use it.

The issue with the other poster ultimately doesn’t matter, Derka can put him on ignore. Instead, Derka has said repeatedly he refuses to do it so he can see what he says about him to report it. Then he has a come apart on the site owner that clearly told him how to handle it. I’m not sure how he expected this to go at this point. Sometimes you have to remember that we are here because we are allowed to stay. That can always change just like the site can die on the vine if enough people don’t agree with the way it is run as has been proven in the past.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 3

I will say allowing this to play out in a thread is pretty shitty though. There is nothing positive for Derka that comes out of the slow burn. If you wanted to ban him, the best thing would have just been to ban him. Everyone knows his issues and this just feels like imma kicking him in the nuts a few times on the way out the door as he was never going quietly. He should have banned for some period, let things calm down, and then discuss whether he was coming back.

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Brew said:

Derka can put him on ignore.

I find that unpersuasive because Ignore was always an option, and there would have been no need for all that intervention on black lab's part if Derka thought Ignore would be an adequate solution. For all that effort to go wasted is what I take issue with.

Edited by chainsaw
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

hE's ThE sItE oWnEr

Fuck off.

He doesn't own the community. He clearly thinks he does given his behavior in the past several months. I guess if he wants to be Katy then he'll end up blowing this site up in similar fashion.

BANNED. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

I will say allowing this to play out in a thread is pretty shitty though. There is nothing positive for Derka that comes out of the slow burn. If you wanted to ban him, the best thing would have just been to ban him. Everyone knows his issues and this just feels like imma kicking him in the nuts a few times on the way out the door as he was never going quietly. He should have banned for some period, let things calm down, and then discuss whether he was coming back.

After reading this, I completely agree. The thread as run its course and is not a goodbye thread. Time to do what you need to do Imma but letting this linger through Monday isnt right. And delete the thread after please. No reason to keep it running either.