Spring Game - 4/20/2024

msucolt45

I think this is the most excited that I’ve been for a Spring game in over a decade. Tools for both QBs to pass to, as well as the deep RB group have me excited. Can the Defense contain them? We’ll all see a small “image/picture” of the future next weekend.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

Screenshot_2024-04-12-11-25-07_kindlephoto-6802788.thumb.png.66a3ad9817147e9605b65f08d3f27a2b.png

Sentimental Family Band will take the LCL stage at 10 a.m. followed by Reckless Kelly at approximately 11:30 a.m. 

AUSTIN, TEXAS – Prior to Texas Football hitting the field for the annual Orange-White Game (presented by Texas One Fund) on April 20, Texas Country pioneers Reckless Kelly will headline Longhorn City Limits presented by Still Austin Whiskey.  The FREE gameday concert series, located on the LBJ Lawn, will feature live music starting at 10 a.m. by Austin's own Sentimental Family Band.

From its roots as a barnstorming Idaho outfit to its modern-day status as a

torchbearer for Americana music worldwide, GRAMMY-winning Reckless Kelly is celebrating nearly three decades with the launch of The Last Frontier Tour and an album of the same name out later this year. The band will preview a few of the new songs along with fan favorites in what promises to be a rocking Longhorn City Limits party.

"We are really looking forward to kicking off the Football Orange-White Game with the fans," said Cody Braun.  "Hook 'em Horns!"

"We are so excited to welcome Reckless Kelly back to the Forty Acres," said Chris Del Conte, Vice President and Athletics Director.  "Willy and Cody have long been supporters of our program, and we can't wait for them to entertain Longhorn Nation on the LBJ Lawn before the Spring Game"

Joining Reckless Kelly on the LCL lineup is the Sentimental Family Band.  Named KUTX's Artist of the Month this past March, the band is comprised of songwriters Camille Lewis, Kyle Albrecht, and Matthew Shepherd.  Fusing Bakersfield honky-tonk with western swing, they released their debut album Sweethearts Only in March 2024 featuring singles including "Face to a Name", "Talking to Strangers", and "Never Love Again".

Sentimental Family Band will take the LCL stage at 10 a.m. followed by Reckless Kelly at approximately 11:30 a.m. 

Fans ages 21 and up can enjoy signature experiences at Longhorn City Limits including the Still Austin Music Lounge.  Serving up a full menu of refreshments including the Still Austin Horns Up Bourbon Lemonade on ice, the lounge provides relaxation in a shaded area while enjoying the show. Fans won't want to miss surprises and limited-edition swag curated by Still Austin Whiskey Co, the homegrown grain-to-glass craft distillery using 100% Texas grains. 

Also returning for the Orange-White Game is the Tito's Tailgate located in front of the LBJ Fountain featuring refreshing Tito's cocktails on tap and shaded views of the stage to tailgate in real Texas fashion. 

Concert goers can also enjoy Stubb's BBQ and pregame happy hour pricing featuring select $5 domestic and $6.50 premium beers at Longhorn City Limits. 

About Reckless Kelly: 

Americana/Red-Dirt band Reckless Kelly has been burning up stages with their high-energy blend of rock and country music since 1996. Fronted by central Idaho natives Willy and Cody Braun, the brothers are part of a rich musical legacy that spans three generations. Twenty-five years ago, Willy and Cody moved to Austin, TX, added drummer Jay Nazz to their core, and formed a band that would change Texas's musical history. An indispensable part of the Texas music scene for almost 3 decades, the GRAMMY Award-winning band has released 17 albums, 

They have been named the Outlaw Group of the Year in the 2024 Ameripolitan Awards.

Reckless Kelly has built their annual festival, The Braun Brothers Reunion, into a three-day event held in Challis, Idaho, celebrating 40 years in 2024. The band will kick off the first leg of their 2024 - 2025 The Last Frontier Tour in April. The members are Willy and Cody Braun, drummer Nazz, Joe Miller on bass, and Geoffrey Queen on lead guitar. 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

I think this is gonna be the most hi I’ll ever be for this spring game….

High on drugs or the team? I'll be both. Will you be both? We can both be both. We're practically bothers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_2024-04-12-11-25-07_kindlephoto-6802788.thumb.png.66a3ad9817147e9605b65f08d3f27a2b.png

Saw Reckless Kelly at The Hole In The Wall in the late ‘90s when visiting a friend was in law school. (~’97/‘98)

I even bought their CD, but have no clue where they have been or what they have been up to for over 25 years.

But I think that I want to come down for the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

My 7 year old wants to get there early to get autographs. Will Quinn be signing? That’s the one my son really wants.

My 3 year old daughter just wants to see Bevo or as she says “Beebo”. 

lol nice

my 2 year old calls the color orange “Texas!”

will never correct her 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

My 7 year old wants to get there early to get autographs. Will Quinn be signing? That’s the one my son really wants.

Beebo is pretty awesome.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

He probably will be but last year they just counted off how ever many fans they'd let in at a time and send them to a line of tables with players, didn't look like you could pick a line. You could probably just have your kid wander to that table on his own then get forgiveness rather than permission 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He probably will be but last year they just counted off how ever many fans they'd let in at a time and send them to a line of tables with players, didn't look like you could pick a line. You could probably just have your kid wander to that table on his own then get forgiveness rather than permission 

Nice! Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

@Dennis Taylor is correct.  I believe there were 4 different lines, and you didn't have the ability to pick.  And, FYI, get there really early.  IIRC, my son and I got there about 45 mins early and didn't make it to the tables in time.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:59 PM, TexasTroll said:

I think this is gonna be the most hi I’ll ever be for this spring game….

Same! Can't make it down due to work(won't be done until noon) but I'll be baked at my place watching what I anticipate to be an epic spring game. 

On 4/13/2024 at 9:35 AM, Red Five said:

That reminds me. Hopefully this year they cut back on the 40-50 year old classic rock being played at ear-damaging levels. 

Also hoping they stop playing rap music or techno beats after EVERY. GOD. DAMN. PLAY! This is college, not the NFL. Can't hear the band for shit over that. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:32 AM, LTtxfan said:

Reckless Kelly did the best cover version of one of my all-time favorite story-songs, Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. Although, be fair, it took three of them to play what Thompson played on his own.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Reckless Kelly did the best cover version of one of my all-time favorite story-songs, Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. Although, be fair, it took three of them to play what Thompson played on his own.

Absolutely correct sir.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

One Surly member has posted Hancock Center, then Uber over.

12th and Trinity or further South if that isn't available. 

I always somehow find street parking around 12-17th and Trinity or Red River or San Jac

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Up to 60% with likely thunderstorms during peak heat of the day.  As in, kickoff time.  There a lots of Spring Games happening the following weekend.  I know it's done to culminate the maximum number of permitted spring practices by NCAA, but then, lightning is also a serious NCAA concern.  They may have to think about Sunday or the following weekend.  I mean, it's one thing to play through some rain and they can open up covered areas from which fans can still enjoy the game and probably buy more concessions.  But they have to stop for a certain period of time if the lightning is within a certain radius.  I doubt they'll make a ruling until Thursday or Friday, but it'd be a massive cash burn to staff/stock the stadium and have all those families shuffle down there just to tell them to go wait in the courses for 45 minutes, and then another 45 minutes, and then another one just to call the game off.  A lot can change obviously but it's starting to look not great for anything resembling a 2:00p kickoff and thousands of families and hundreds of staff are already making their plans.  Kind of a pickle.  

Any chance somone (Surly) is going to have a stream of this game going for us non-LHN peeps?  
Shit, just remembered I switched streaming services after the last LHN game, doh!

I won't be able to watch live anyway, funeral Saturday. Hopefully someone uploads to YT by the time I get home.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Up to 60% with likely thunderstorms during peak heat of the day.  As in, kickoff time.  There a lots of Spring Games happening the following weekend.  I know it's done to culminate the maximum number of permitted spring practices by NCAA, but then, lightning is also a serious NCAA concern.  They may have to think about Sunday or the following weekend.  I mean, it's one thing to play through some rain and they can open up covered areas from which fans can still enjoy the game and probably buy more concessions.  But they have to stop for a certain period of time if the lightning is within a certain radius.  I doubt they'll make a ruling until Thursday or Friday, but it'd be a massive cash burn to staff/stock the stadium and have all those families shuffle down there just to tell them to go wait in the courses for 45 minutes, and then another 45 minutes, and then another one just to call the game off.  A lot can change obviously but it's starting to look not great for anything resembling a 2:00p kickoff and thousands of families and hundreds of staff are already making their plans.  Kind of a pickle.  

What's important is that the team has chicken fingers to munch on during any rain delays.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2