You know you live in Houston...

Slacks

Posted (edited)

PXL_20240414_010107158.thumb.jpg.98a851683184abcccb65effb15ac0848.jpgWhen you have the following on one grill:

*Pollo Marinada Tradicionale

*Boudin

*Homemade Sausage from O LAN O

There is probably no place other than here where those things are on.

Granted, Homemade from O LAN O is probably an Acres Homes only thing, but you get the point. 

BTW, Homemade from O LAN O always gets the "that is the best sausage I've ever had."  If you live in Houston and like grilling or smoking cased sausage, you want to try this. 

Edited by Slacks
Forgot the pic.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

What is this pollo marinade?

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

PXL_20240414_010107158.thumb.jpg.98a851683184abcccb65effb15ac0848.jpgWhen you have the following on one grill:

*Boudin

Granted, Homemade from O LAN O is probably an Acres Homes only thing, but you get the point. 

BTW, Homemade from O LAN O always gets the "that is the best sausage I've ever had."  If you live in Houston and like grilling or smoking cased sausage, you want to try this. 

Tell me more about O LAN O sausage.  I’ve seen that joint several times.  Not in my home demographic statistical area but I’ve been by there many times over the years. 

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Looks like Michoacán Market marinated pechugas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

You knew that chicken was from la michoacana, the red was a dead giveaway. Dead giveaway. 

I show respect to O LAN O, but my go to for sausage is down the road at B&W 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Slacks said:

*Boudin

The O LAN O sausage can be purchased at Orlando’s right? Also what the hell is it?

23 hours ago, Slacks said:

*Boudin

Hmm, im only 18 mins from o lan o 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:02 PM, deadshank said:

We always load up on 3 lbs of the pollo rojo for every 1lb of the fajita for cost purposes when doing a carne asada. Those chicken breasts are so easy to get right and are really a pretty good bargain $ wise.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We always load up on 3 lbs of the pollo rojo for every 1lb of the fajita for cost purposes when doing a carne asada. Those chicken breasts are so easy to get right and are really a pretty good bargain $ wise.

The red marinade will permanently mark your DNA.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:02 PM, deadshank said:

Tell me more about O LAN O sausage.  I’ve seen that joint several times.  Not in my home demographic statistical area but I’ve been by there many times over the years. 

Asian run place in Acres Homes. For all I know 'Homemade' is animals off the streets, but that shit is the best. It's not pre-smoked or anything. It's cased raw in long (3 ft+) links that you have to cut down (or not).

Their next beat sausage is Double Garlic (some say it's the best, but they are not correct.)

Go by there and get some. You will be hooked.

On 4/14/2024 at 10:09 AM, Mez2 said:

You knew that chicken was from la michoacana, the red was a dead giveaway. Dead giveaway. 

I show respect to O LAN O, but my go to for sausage is down the road at B&W 

B&W was my spot, but they prices got crazy... And I went to O LAN O one day looking for Alligator sausage. The OLANO gator isn't as good as B&W but the Double Garlic and Homemade are better than anything at B&W.

The Hot Pork and Beef is legit, too...

And the line isn't hella long like B&W.

10 hours ago, Slacks said:

B&W was my spot, but they prices got crazy... And I went to O LAN O one day looking for Alligator sausage. The OLANO gator isn't as good as B&W but the Double Garlic and Homemade are better than anything at B&W.

The jambalaya sausage slams and goes hard tho 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/15/2024 at 11:46 PM, Slacks said:

Well damn, i really need to try this place

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

You know you live in Houston when the car on the top ramp is at the highest point for 25 miles! Hell, maybe 50 miles? Might even the 100 mile mountain peak?

spacer.png

Somebody saw a picture of N Central in Dallas and new that place in an instant, well, this picture does it for me.  I-10 has been my freeway for 35 years now.  

46 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Wilcrest or Kirkwood was my exit growing up in Houston.  I can only imagine what the commute is daily now.  Moved to Austin in '79 and that was that. 

Commute to where?  Downtown?  It’s probably faster than it was in 1979 with several more lanes in use.  I commuted to downtown from Campbell-I-10 from 2004-2015 and it was about 15 minutes each way unless there was a wreck.  Wilcrest would add 5 minutes or so.  Of course, being Houston, a wreck or something unusual could add 5-15 minutes any given day, but I could generally count on sitting at my desk 18 minutes after I left my house in Spring Valley.  On a good day I could be home in 13 minutes.  

5 hours ago, HouTex said:

Commute to where?  Downtown?  It’s probably faster than it was in 1979 with several more lanes in use.  I commuted to downtown from Campbell-I-10 from 2004-2015 and it was about 15 minutes each way unless there was a wreck.  Wilcrest would add 5 minutes or so.  Of course, being Houston, a wreck or something unusual could add 5-15 minutes any given day, but I could generally count on sitting at my desk 18 minutes after I left my house in Spring Valley.  On a good day I could be home in 13 minutes.  

It took me 45 minutes to get from BW8 to top golf one day after work back in 2016. F that.

my (reverse) commute from the goof to memorial City was 25 minutes.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

It took me 45 minutes to get from BW8 to top golf one day after work back in 2016. F that.

my (reverse) commute from the goof to memorial City was 25 minutes.

I’d argue there’s no such thing as a reverse commute in Houston anymore. 45, 59,  and 10 are very busy in every direction from 730am to 10am and 330pm until after 7pm. If it touches a 610, Westpark, or Beltway entrance ramp there will be traffic. 

I drove the “reverse commute” from the Heights to Memorial City for about 6 years. I often worked out before work. If I wasn’t on I-10 by 730am,  I was screwed. I left at 430pm everyday and traffic was always miserable. 

I live in Memorial now and commute to Greenway Plaza. Much better commute. I just never get on the interstates or 610. Any construction or even a lawn crew blocking a lane causes massive delays, but Briar Forest/San Felipe, Westheimer, and Richmond will all get you east/west. 

Many people in my office work the graveyard shift. 5am - 3pm. Katy guys swear by it, but if they don’t leave at 3 they’re cooked. They never attend happy hours, but hey they made their choice. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d argue there’s no such thing as a reverse commute in Houston anymore. 45, 59,  and 10 are very busy in every direction from 730am to 10am and 330pm until after 7pm. If it touches a 610, Westpark, or Beltway entrance ramp there will be traffic. 

I drove the “reverse commute” from the Heights to Memorial City for about 6 years. I often worked out before work. If I wasn’t on I-10 by 730am,  I was screwed. I left at 430pm everyday and traffic was always miserable. 

I live in Memorial now and commute to Greenway Plaza. Much better commute. I just never get on the interstates or 610. Any construction or even a lawn crew blocking a lane causes massive delays, but Briar Forest/San Felipe, Westheimer, and Richmond will all get you east/west. 

Many people in my office work the graveyard shift. 5am - 3pm. Katy guys swear by it, but if they don’t leave at 3 they’re cooked. They never attend happy hours, but hey they made their choice. 

No argument from me. There was/is always traffic. It's Houston.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say if you live a neighborhood zoned for Stratford and work at BP, COP, or Shell you got it figured out. Good schools K-12, easy commute, fun neighborhoods, some stuff to do nearby, and you’re close enough to the various entertainment districts. 

Yup... we used to live new Town & Country, my office was 5-10 minutes max commute.  

On 4/17/2024 at 7:14 AM, horn4life said:

You know you live in Houston when the car on the top ramp is at the highest point for 25 miles! Hell, maybe 50 miles? Might even the 100 mile mountain peak?

spacer.png

You mever crossed the ship channel?

when I was a young buck working selling shoes at Morgan Hayes in the Galleria my senior Summer the commute was not endless, but I did get bored as an 18 year old. And the one thing about Houston traffic is you better be on your toes as 75 mph would become 14 mph about 8 times over 5 miles on my drive back out I-10.  So one thing I realized, is that like me, when I hit my brakes from 75 to 14, the first thing I did was look in my rear mirror.  So for fun I would turn my head to the right or left as the driver I was descending upon, had thier eyes get larger and larger in the rear view mirror.  Then I would brake and throw my hand up over my face... to see if they "jumped" in panic.  Stopped doing that after I pissed off some off duty cop.

I will say that Summer working in the Galleria truly helped me hone my craft.  From a poontang and mistake perspective.  The best and hardest lesson was learning "don;t say a fucking thing once the deal is closed." As i had a "rock star sale" of like $1500 in shoes. At 8% in '79 extra commission that was gonna be a good time. Then I asked "what band are you int..."  Cool curly headed blonde dude walked out and I lost the sale at the fucking register.  It was Dusty Beard, the only fucking ZZ Top member without a beard.

The commute is a bitch then and now... but now you can pick your fucking music! So there's that!