Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

24 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Patagonia is one of the more responsible companies out there.

Doesn't really matter. The fleece when washed releases micro plastics apparently, just like all other fleece material.  It's not meant as a knock to Patagonia, or AOC.  Fleece seems to be a polluting material.

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Doesn't really matter. The fleece when washed releases micro plastics apparently, just like all other fleece material.  It's not meant as a knock to Patagonia, or AOC.  Fleece seems to be a polluting material.

If the micro-plastic fleece polution is bad, imagine what her boiled-egg sandwich farts must be like.

I mean, mine are bad enough, but I'm not posturing myself as some crusader against boiled-egg sandwich farts. Which if I did, would be like an alternate earth where Stalin personally rescued political opponents from burning buildings. While not farting. Because fire is bad enough, without explosions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is a great hill to die on, IMO.

There's a great book with that title that just came out about how Trump's shenanigans are also fucking up the U.S. Congress for the Republican Party for a generation or more.  

Anyway, I really don't trust anybody that wears a Patagonia Fleece in August.  It's 80 degrees in New York and in D.C. today.  No reason to be wearing that shit.  I saw a teenager in one last week in Texas and I wanted to punch his mother.  

Never been in a penguin exhibit?  They're fucking freezing.  I imagine she knew it and brought the jacket along for that very reason.

But hey, let's focus on her choice of fashion and whatever effects it might have on plastic in the oceans when the right is in favor of obliterating the environment, destroying the economy, and killing or deporting everyone with a skin color darker than, well, white.

tl;dr  fuck the right

• Like 3

Jesus man, calm down...People can hate Trump and people in Patagonias in August at the same time.  In fact, I'm betting I'm in the majority here, maybe the plurality.  Or at least in that meaty part of the vendiagram overlay.

Different fleece dyes probably have different effects on the environment. Need some classic internet Aspergerish over-analysis to decide which fleece color poisons rivers in China the most.

(Narrator: When RDCanecutter wondered that, it was possible to make Chinese rivers less poisonous by dumping mere average poisons into them.)

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Never been in a penguin exhibit?  They're fucking freezing.  I imagine she knew it and brought the jacket along for that very reason.

But hey, let's focus on her choice of fashion and whatever effects it might have on plastic in the oceans when the right is in favor of obliterating the environment, destroying the economy, and killing or deporting everyone with a skin color darker than, well, white.

tl;dr  fuck the right

The penguin exhibit at the local zoo isn't particularly cold. Pretty warm and humid, actually. But I confess I can't tell you offhand exactly what kind of penguins they have. But, yeah, I don't get the hate for wearing a fleece sweater, especially one from a company that goes through the pains that Patagonia does to make sure that their clothes have as minimal impact on the environment as possible. They aren't exactly a Walmart value brand. They are a company started by climbers who try to make technical gear that is as environmentally conscious as possible for what they make.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Jesus man, calm down...People can hate Trump and people in Patagonias in August at the same time.  In fact, I'm betting I'm in the majority here, maybe the plurality.  Or at least in that meaty part of the vendiagram overlay.

Well, I would have never noticed what she was wearing if someone hadn't pointed it out, so maybe I'm not the one who needs to dial it back.

You don't notice people in skiwear in August?  Just situational awareness, not making a judgement call on her soul or anything.   She probably had an aide carry it for her on her trip to the zoo just for the penguin house.  You've never really seen somebody in Texas wearing a North Face jacket in summer just so they could broadcast their brand wealth a few more weeks outta the year?  

"Brand Wealth"...it's when people mistake wearing clothes with premium brand names/logos on them for actual wealth. Not saying AOC was doing that by the way, my point was to illustrate that people in cold weather coats in August stand out to me.  Anyway, AOC was chilly with the penguins, we got it.  Sidetrack over.  Back to business with the Congresswoman.  

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Wait, wearing North Face broadcasts wealth?

No, but my 18 karat gold chainmail man-bikini sure as hell does.

The 24 karat one was even better, but had to retire it. Unalloyed gold is too soft, links kept popping loose. Only thing weirder than me in a gold chainmail man-bikini is me in a gold chainmail man-bikini that is disintegrating.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

No, but my 18 karat gold chainmail man-bikini sure as hell does.

The 24 karat one was even better, but had to retire it. Unalloyed gold is too soft, links kept popping loose. Only thing weirder than me in a gold chainmail man-bikini is me in a gold chainmail man-bikini that is disintegrating.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

“I think young people are more informed and dynamic than their predecessors”. “I think this new generation is very profound, and very strong, and very brave, because they’re actually willing to go to the streets”

Insufferable vocal fried mouth breathers, every one.

Note to self...do not upset Dahobbs since they are apparently a legacy owner of the Patagonia Company.  Wow, I openly declare a hatred for Trump and a support of AOC, and my neg rep screen is lit up by this all-star.  Look Dahobbs, it's below 95 today so I may be willing to remove my North Face jacket...but I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna vote for Trump today which is what you threatened me with you old salt.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

What's up with the hate-boner for vocal fry? It's how they talk, why do you give a shit about the tones coming out of their mouth more than the words?

Oh, it's a mindset fully put upon the right by talk radio.  The current theory is that vocal fry equates to mental illness.

These fuckers will stop at nothing.

Vocal fry, I think the argument goes, is actually a byproduct of the male dominated/patriarchy/hegemony. Women had to fry their voice to fit in better in the male-dominated business/economic centers and to be taken as serious as a man. It's born from an unconscious-cum-conscious bias that began with the ascent of women breaking the Mad Men glass ceilings. I can personally attest that every analyst, consultant, or industry professional I've encountered in the last few years, who also happen to be smart and up-and-coming, female (and particularly under the age of 50) do the vocal fry. It's a tool, an arrow in the quill, in a woman's fight to be equal in a male-dominated culture. Just what I've heard, at least.

Edited by Rougarou

I have no explanation for why I hate vocal fry. Probably the same reason I hate autotuned songs: the Patriarchy.

I am paid to be around large numbers of young college people, (at least, until my trial date) and the majority of them do not do vocal fry anymore. Even uptalking? is like? not so common? So maybe there is hope for tantric's future sanity. I don't doubt that older ones g.r.i.n.d. it out, just sayin. trends change, 23 skiddoo, seeeee.

Pilots are imitating people who imitated Chuck Yeager. Now imagine how flights would feel if Chuck had talked like Jack Nicholson.

I am not au courant to what talk radio says these days, having been driven screaming from it by Sean Hannity's nyah-nyah whine and his compulsion to play bro-country dreck while he hollers arhythmically like a drunk yankee on a stool in a South Florida Hooter's. But I do know that the worst fry I ever heard was that whatsit McCaine daughter, who tries to talk like she is 22.  Thought about setting off a grenade to deafen myself, but then I remembered I could just switch to the Mexican radio station.

Speaking of which, Mexican women can do this Fran Drescher whine in Spanish that makes it sound like they have a cherry tomato stuck in their nasal passages, nyeeuuuunyhyny.

I know a Master's degree holding Speech-Language Pathologist who was a formed nominee to be President of the Texas Speech & Hearing Association.  Her learned opinion and deep research over 2 decades says you folks don't know what the fuck you're talking about with regard to vocal fry.  But yeah, go ahead that it's the fault of the Patriarchy.  

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Note to self...do not upset Dahobbs since they are apparently a legacy owner of the Patagonia Company.  Wow, I openly declare a hatred for Trump and a support of AOC, and my neg rep screen is lit up by this all-star.  Look Dahobbs, it's below 95 today so I may be willing to remove my North Face jacket...but I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna vote for Trump today which is what you threatened me with you old salt.  

I dont give a shit about her jacket. What an inane thing to fucking rant about for several posts (ergo, negs).

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I dont give a shit about her jacket. What an inane thing to fucking rant about for several posts (ergo, negs).

Dear god, my bad.  Jackets are off limits from now on.  We are truly beyond the pale.  Let me pos rep you for steering an otherwise misled ship back to the proper course.  

I think I even spent a few posts talking about not her jacket, but other people's jackets in August truly gives me pause.  

Here's the thing, keep doing the neg rep thing...I know you've got spare time.  But I'm gonna offer you something and you're gonna dismiss it and make it all about you.  Speaker Pelosi is coming to Austin next month.  I promise that I can get you in a room with her to further broadcast to her why AOC is better than she is.  You won't accept my offer because deep down inside AOC isn't as good as Pelosi is in your eyes, and let's face it---it's because one has better taste in jackets.  But bullshit aside, I can put you in a room with the Speaker to advocate on behalf of AOC and you won't accept.  Because you do what you are fucking told, just like Congresswoman Cortez.  Anyway, fuck Pelosi.  But I am super excited to meet Justice Sotomayor.  

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

good lord.  over 200 pages on a freshman representative from a district in the Bronx/Queens with a population of less than 700k.

at this rate, she's on a path to superstardom.

Does someone wanna tell this Civics All-Star, that politics aside...just doing maths (which is the hallmark of progressivism)...that about 90% of all U.S. Representatives have a district with a population of about 700k.  Oh shit, Jive Turkey thinks AOC was given a small district on purpose, and then we all made a big deal of it.  Either way, Jive Turkey needs to be on CSPAN after-dark with this outstanding assessment of why AOC is so popular.  It's because she has a small district and receives a disproportionate amount of attention.  You know...'cause of the 700k population in her district.  I mean, stats like this could seriously tilt the House after the 2020 Census...

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Dear god, my bad.  Jackets are off limits from now on.  We are truly beyond the pale.  Let me pos rep you for steering an otherwise misled ship back to the proper course.  

I think I even spent a few posts talking about not her jacket, but other people's jackets in August truly gives me pause.  

Here's the thing, keep doing the neg rep thing...I know you've got spare time.  But I'm gonna offer you something and you're gonna dismiss it and make it all about you.  Speaker Pelosi is coming to Austin next month.  I promise that I can get you in a room with her to further broadcast to her why AOC is better than she is.  You won't accept my offer because deep down inside AOC isn't as good as Pelosi is in your eyes, and let's face it---it's because one has better taste in jackets.  But bullshit aside, I can put you in a room with the Speaker to advocate on behalf of AOC and you won't accept.  Because you do what you are fucking told, just like Congresswoman Cortez.  Anyway, fuck Pelosi.  But I am super excited to meet Justice Sotomayor.  

Did she take her jacket off among other upper body garments?  Or am I in the wrong forum?

/I'll let myself out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Does someone wanna tell this Civics All-Star, that politics aside...just doing maths (which is the hallmark of progressivism)...that about 90% of all U.S. Representatives have a district with a population of about 700k.  Oh shit, Jive Turkey thinks AOC was given a small district on purpose, and then we all made a big deal of it.  Either way, Jive Turkey needs to be on CSPAN after-dark with this outstanding assessment of why AOC is so popular.  It's because she has a small district and receives a disproportionate amount of attention.  You know...'cause of the 700k population in her district.  I mean, stats like this could seriously tilt the House after the 2020 Census...

Lighten up, Francis.

I should lighten up.  Especially on AOC.  I mean, she's just a Congresswoman from a district of only about 700k, so vastly different than nearly every other district on the face of the map.  

I still dig her.  I even cut her a check last year.  But c'mon, we're gonna play the "Leave AOC Alone!" crying game a la Lindsey Lohan because her district is so small and therefore she shouldn't be picked on?  Really?  That's progressive politics now?  Somebody can't do fucking maths so we have to lighten up on her.  ???

Look, just because you cut her a check last year doesn't mean you have a shot. Some of you cunts have a weirdly unhealthy obsession with her and I'm not even talking about the self-hating Iranian. 

Edited by mdmost

Yes, this thread has taken many wrong sidetracks. Only reason I'm back on this is because a sublimely moronic claim by Jive Turkey that really turns progressivism on his head.  Jive Turkey is saying what you're saying (and your point is valid), but that our focus on her is unjustified because she's just a humble servant of a small-ish 700k district.  Their words, not mine.  That's beyond fucking stupid.  You can say people are targeting her for myriad reasons, but then to throw up your hands in defense and shout, "Leave AOC Alone...she be but from a small and humble district of a wee 700,000 citizens."  That's beyond dumb.  Almost every U.S. House Rep. has a district size of that population.  You can't yell at folks for targeting her and then try to hide behind bullshit like "Her district is small, leave her be y'all....Get!"  You can lay claim to a lot, but that's beyond idiotic.  It's right up there as being as dumb as some Trumpkin dipshit claiming he won the popular vote because he received more Electoral College Votes.  

You want to be a U.S. House Member?  You win over a district of about 700,000 people, you deal with the dissent, and you sure s shit don't have your supporters claim you're being unfairly targeted because your district is so humbly sized.  She's being unfairly targeted but for progressive supporters of hers to say "be nice, she has a small district" is in defiance of progressivism because it screams, "I ain't good at civics. I ain't good at history.  I ain't good at maths."  You know who else screams that shit?  Trumpkins.  I love her taking on Pelosi.  I can't wait to throw some AOC shit next month when Pelosi is in Austin.  meantime, tell that fucking dipshit up above to shut the fuck up about her district size.  It's the same size as everyone else's.  You don't get protection for being in a district that's actually the same size as everybody else's.  Let's all quit making excuses for stupid people on all three sides of the aisle.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez