Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

Lawyers:  does the legal construct of "negligent entrustment" extend beyond automobiles (for which I was sued)?  Can one be held liable for damages incurred by someone who borrows your handgun?

Appears to be an open question in Texas but plenty of other states apply the same logic to guns and cars

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=articles&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=42974

• Like 1

My wife and I are actually on the higher end of the millennial financial chain, and we STILL have to spend ~8% of our income on health insurance premiums alone for us and our son. Which means if something goes really wrong health-wise, we are fucked. Savings? Gone. House equity (Yes, we actually have some because my wife was a genius and bought our house in 2010 and it's appreciated)? Gone.

I've been relatively successful so far in my career, and am way ahead of where I should be at this age in my field, and it's still not a ton of $. My upside is quite high, but there's a corporate ladder more or less to climb. We live within our means, but are still one bad accident away from losing all our safety nets. That's beyond frightening.

Living somewhere were the average age is basically Boomers everywhere, I am shocked all the time at how simple some of their lives must have been for them to be able to make it this far in life. I literally had a guy ask me why the Air Force doesn't fly a bunch of planes in the opposite directions of a hurricane's wind pattern in order to stop the storm. He was honestly curious. The difference for my generation, is that I realize that guy isn't all Boomers. I've met plenty that are sharp as can be, educated and decent people overall. So while you see a story on Fox about how a small (literally 200-300 kids in the world tops) making millions off playing video games and being on Youtube, you (Smax) generalize that story and let yourself believe that's what we all do. Play video games and bitch and moan while waving around our useless degrees.

I bust my ass each day to try to get ahead in life so that my son has more opportunities than I had growing up. My wife does the same. So for you to blame our iPhones (which, to be honest, is almost a necessity in today's world) and student loans (Don't forget it was your generation that demands a minimum four-year degree on every damn job posting), I say from my generation to you: Go fuck yourself you ignorant fuck.

Typing that out actually feels better

• Like 6

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Lots of Gen X who thought they were going to get a pension, but won't. Or the pension they get won't be nearly as good as they were promised. Most Millennials have pretty much figured out that they can't rely on anything but their own savings for retirement early enough to start saving for it. Of course, many of them are hitting their 30's and just now making enough to actually start saving.

As one of the earlier GenX, pensions were dead af for us. They died in the early 80s when most of us were in middle or high school, except in hard core union states and for those with union jobs or in dying industries using union labor (automakers, midwestern manufacturing).

Most of us aren't counting on SS, either, but were still getting fucked.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's the thing you pay into only to never get anything back from, right?

Yeah, that thing where baby boomers feel owed money from their kids as recompense for what they paid to their own parents, but don't think their kids should ever be paid back for what the baby boomers are taking from them. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yeah, that thing where baby boomers feel owed money from their kids as recompense for what they paid to their own parents, but don't think their kids should ever be paid back for what the baby boomers are taking from them. 

aka social security "reform"

On 9/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, Chult86 said:

I literally had a guy ask me why the Air Force doesn't fly a bunch of planes in the opposite directions of a hurricane's wind pattern in order to stop the storm.

Image result for yeah science gif

I think I saw this movie on SyFy.  Or maybe it was sharks. 

On 9/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, Chult86 said:

My wife and I are actually on the higher end of the millennial financial chain, and we STILL have to spend ~8% of our income on health insurance premiums alone for us and our son. Which means if something goes really wrong health-wise, we are fucked. Savings? Gone. House equity (Yes, we actually have some because my wife was a genius and bought our house in 2010 and it's appreciated)? Gone.

I've been relatively successful so far in my career, and am way ahead of where I should be at this age in my field, and it's still not a ton of $. My upside is quite high, but there's a corporate ladder more or less to climb. We live within our means, but are still one bad accident away from losing all our safety nets. That's beyond frightening.

Living somewhere were the average age is basically Boomers everywhere, I am shocked all the time at how simple some of their lives must have been for them to be able to make it this far in life. I literally had a guy ask me why the Air Force doesn't fly a bunch of planes in the opposite directions of a hurricane's wind pattern in order to stop the storm. He was honestly curious. The difference for my generation, is that I realize that guy isn't all Boomers. I've met plenty that are sharp as can be, educated and decent people overall. So while you see a story on Fox about how a small (literally 200-300 kids in the world tops) making millions off playing video games and being on Youtube, you (Smax) generalize that story and let yourself believe that's what we all do. Play video games and bitch and moan while waving around our useless degrees.

I bust my ass each day to try to get ahead in life so that my son has more opportunities than I had growing up. My wife does the same. So for you to blame our iPhones (which, to be honest, is almost a necessity in today's world) and student loans (Don't forget it was your generation that demands a minimum four-year degree on every damn job posting), I say from my generation to you: Go fuck yourself you ignorant fuck.

Typing that out actually feels better

tldr: Hey Smax, go fuck yourself you ignorant fuck.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Pelosi continues to believe that they don't have the votes in the caucus to impeach.  I find that unlikely, but I'd sure like to see some evidence if it's true.

She doesn't just believe it, they do whip counts. She knows exactly who is and who isn't for impeachment. 

They don't have the votes.

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pelosi continues to believe that they don't have the votes in the caucus to impeach.  I find that unlikely, but I'd sure like to see some evidence if it's true.

She doesn't have the votes because she doesn't want to have the votes.  She doesn't want to lead an impeachment charge.  This is the one thing she's been clear and consistent on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

She doesn't just believe it, they do whip counts. She knows exactly who is and who isn't for impeachment. 

They don't have the votes.

I don't believe it.  The Democrat constituency wants impeachment to proceed.  If these people want to get reelected, they'll vote accordingly.  If they won't vote accordingly, then that pretty much tells us the entire lot of them (#bothsides) are fucking worthless and deserve to lose their positions.

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Why?  When leadership fails, they need to be called out on it.  This is too important.  Politics as usual isn't gonna cut it.

Rather than saying the Dem's inaction is worse she should've probably said something more along the lines of it's almost as bad, but she's right to push leadership on this.

On 9/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, YChang said:

Interesting NYT article on AOC now that she's served in Congress for a bit. Sounds like she's learning to become a slightly more pragmatic and how to be an actual politician. 

I hope so. 

Otherwise, she's just another fringer dipshit. She may already be permanently in that category. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“It’s not fair I can’t live in the parts of town I want“, says the felon with several face tattoos.  Actions have consequences?  Figured he would have learned that when he was convicted with his felony. 

If I’m a landlord, absolutely no way I’m signing a contract over 12 months.  Capped increase is bullshit. If the area gets better and rents rise, why should the investor be saddled with the burden?  What if rates legitimately rise 20%?  Leasee should at a minimum split the difference. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:22 AM, fattyflattie said:

“It’s not fair I can’t live in the parts of town I want“, says the felon with several face tattoos.  Actions have consequences?  Figured he would have learned that when he was convicted with his felony. 

You're right, it's much better as a society to keep them as marginalized as possible for life because they made mistakes in the past.   That won't encourage them to commit more crimes or anything. 

• Like 1

No we should move him to River Oaks, Barton Creek, or the Park cities, in govt assisted housing of course. He’s obviously provided so much to our society to date, and those residents are really missing out not have tweaker Joe roaming their streets. I’m sure he’ll turn himself around in short order, in his new digs.  I’m certain “the system” was the reason he decided to tattoo dumb shit all over his face. 

You can’t force the rich to live near the poor, as much as you’d like to. They’ll just move. Or buy the crackhouses and gentrify. Or replace the dumbshits in office that pushed it on them.  

Society needs to find a place for them. Unfortunately the only people that accept skid row, are folks on skid row.  On the Internet, there’s no reason for you to nimby this.  When it comes to your neighborhood and property values, you feel the same way? 

Well except there are literally a plethora of “get on your feet” assistance programs that already exist.  Are you claiming there aren’t?

Also, why exactly is housing so unaffordable?  It’s not because of corporate greed.

http://eyeonhousing.org/2016/03/whats-the-average-profit-margin-of-single-family-builders/

Home builders average 6%net.  

19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I didn't see that in her plan — where are you seeing this? 

I didn’t say it was.

I commented about his whining that he “can’t live” on the side of town he wants to because of choices me made (like being a felon and serial face tattooer) and you quoted that, saying “we should keep them marginalized” in a facetious manner.   

Society gave him the same chance as everyone else (probably even more, he’s a white male after all). In fact, he appears to be out of jail so he’s working on his second chance at a minimum.   So quit fucking boo hooing, take your ass down to the local community college and learn to be a welder or medical assistant or whatever the fuck, and once you’ve saved up like the rest of us, you can move wherever you want.  Or you can whine on an AOC commercial because America, yay. 

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn’t say it was.

I commented about his whining that he “can’t live” on the side of town he wants to because of choices me made (like being a felon and serial face tattooer) and you quoted that, saying “we should keep them marginalized” in a facetious manner.   

Society gave him the same chance as everyone else (probably even more, he’s a white male after all). In fact, he appears to be out of jail so he’s working on his second chance at a minimum.   So quit fucking boo hooing, take your ass down to the local community college and learn to be a welder or medical assistant or whatever the fuck, and once you’ve saved up like the rest of us, you can move wherever you want.  Or you can whine on an AOC commercial because America, yay. 

So, we were discussing whether someone should be prevented from living where they want based on face tattoos and prior felonies.    And then you post about the government forcing the rich to live near the poor and giving face-tattoo felons free housing in River Oaks, even though nobody proposed such a thing.   OK. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez