Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

These schools should have strict policies in place and act on them immediately. For students, if you violate law or campus policy, illegally enter buildings, destroy property, etc. you will be arrested. You will be immediately expelled. You will be billed for the full amount of all damage by your group. That bill will be sent as well to your parents. If you are a professor or instructor participating you will be arrested and fired. If you are a paid agitator you will be arrested and shipped to Gaza. That is all.

And none of that should be controversial at all. The people defending these protests are 100% correct -- the police and universities should and must be hands off when it comes to peaceful, lawful protests. But once the protest crosses the line into violence or lawlessness, it needs to be addressed immediately or risk it evolving into the awful displays we are seeing around the country.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Poester said:

Before all the people saying they want to kill Jews? I know racism is bad, but man our priorities are fucked. 

Probably. Because he’s white and we are the dominant culture. It’s what gets people the most worked up. Having a nerdy fat chick with purple hair or a brown person talking about killing Jews doesn’t move the rage needle as much as a blue eyed southern frat guy making very obvious gorilla movements and sounds. 

I don’t know if it is right or wrong to despise one more than the other. I just know I wouldn’t a) express real outrage at any of these people or b) hire any of these people. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The violence at UCLA on the other hand, is sad, and the local authorities and university administration failed miserably at getting it handled appropriately, early on.

I wonder if this has changed minds on those who were anti-Hartzell. 

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Poester said:

Before all the people saying they want to kill Jews? I know racism is bad, but man our priorities are fucked. 

Its just like, my opinion, man, but at least the "kill the Jews" crowd has cloaked themselves in the cause of the oppressed Palestinian people, whether you buy that or not, up to you, but probably something like 50% of America will give you a pass on that one.

Monkey guy, what's he going to say - "I was doing the monkey dance in the face of a black woman in support of Israeli sovereignty?"  

Lets see how that works out.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I wonder if this has changed minds on those who were anti-Hartzell. 

Probably a lot of them -- it is pretty clear to fair minded people he acted appropriately by nipping encampments in the bud. 

Most people are pro free speech and pro order.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

"It always gave performative..." lol, love the Gen Z slang + Rap lyrics + Idiotic beliefs = hilarious.

If I had to place my bets on the future of the country, I'd bet on the patriotic frat bros (minus the racist one/racism) over this unhinged lunacy.

20 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Probably a lot of them -- it is pretty clear to fair minded people he acted appropriately by nipping encampments in the bud. 

Most people are pro free speech and pro order.

I think the chaos and destruction and sheer distraction and costs coming down on those campuses, each and every day and if it continues to ratchet up, will only make Hartzell's admittedly heavy-handed approach more and more "acceptable". It's like stomping out a smoldering coal before it turns into a conflagaration.

Austin probably could have been one of the more crazier and embarrassing lighthouses for this given the demographics, but instead UCLA and the Ivies get to look stupid.

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Is he saying "Engineers don't you hide?" wut?

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Y'all know the violence at UCLA was overwhelmingly from counterprotesters, right? 

I am, that's why I literally said I think counterprotesters are worse than the original protesters, but they are both stupid.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Why is it always the same lame chant at every Pro-Palestinian protest on every US campus. Not only are these kids irrational, they are also unoriginal.

CHIEF

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, utee94 said:

WTH?  As an engineer, I feel threatened.   What do they want with me, and my people?

Maybe they were walking outside of the engineering building and tailoring their chants to the local audience?

Edited by BeardIP

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

WTH?  As an engineer, I feel threatened.   What do they want with me, and my people?

She/He is pretty threatening...I've never seen a more unenthusiastic protest in my life.

56 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

And none of that should be controversial at all. The people defending these protests are 100% correct -- the police and universities should and must be hands off when it comes to peaceful, lawful protests. But once the protest crosses the line into violence or lawlessness, it needs to be addressed immediately or risk it evolving into the awful displays we are seeing around the country.

I think they also need to have plans in place for covering expenses. If property is damaged or clean-up is required, neither the city nor the school should be on the hook. Protests need to be scheduled and planned.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think they also need to have plans in place for covering expenses. If property is damaged or clean-up is required, neither the city nor the school should be on the hook. Protests need to be scheduled and planned.

So they should get E&O insurance? lol

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

However, we did a study at ILAS looking into the background of terrorist leaders. Amazing how many were doctors and engineers. My assumption is they do not see grey, just right and wrong and thus justify actions. This was before 9-11. So when in the Middle East I did the same looking into Osama's group. yep. same pattern.

They listen to historians and philosophers, but those tend to talk and not do drastic action. Thank God @Brisketexan is an enchilada eating lawyer. Imagine if the was a Mech Engineer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

She/He is pretty threatening...I've never seen a more unenthusiastic protest in my life.

In fairness, it looks to be raining. If I was participating, I would ask if we could reconvene on Monday.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

However, we did a study at ILAS looking into the background of terrorist leaders. Amazing how many were doctors and engineers. My assumption is they do not see grey, just right and wrong and thus justify actions. This was before 9-11. So when in the Middle East I did the same looking into Osama's group. yep. same pattern.

They listen to historians and philosophers, but those tend to talk and not do drastic action. Thank God @Brisketexan is an enchilada eating lawyer. Imagine if the was a Mech Engineer.

The engineers need to preemptively get gibbets. For public safety.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

EEs are fine, it's the Palestinian hating MEs and Pro-Israel CEs that are the problem. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yeah, he's done.  Good think he wasn't wearing a mask.

You know, that's at Ol'Miss, right? I'm sure he'll have a job lined up from daddy or one of his buddies dads who thinks what he did was great...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

didn’t take long for racists to take over the counter-protests. 

That's a very big accusation. Which counter-protests were overtaken by racists, and how do you know they are racist? The videos I saw mainly show people singing the national anthem and displaying the American flag, which is protected free speech, not racism. I saw a couple of instances where counter-protesters yelled, hit, or said mean things to protesters, but I didn't see where they had overtaken the counter-protests, and I didn't hear obvious racist slurs.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

That's a very big accusation. Which counter-protests were overtaken by racists, and how do you know they are racist? The videos I saw mainly show people singing the national anthem and displaying the American flag, which is protected free speech, not racism. I saw a couple of instances where counter-protesters yelled, hit, or said mean things to protesters, but I didn't see where they had overtaken the counter-protests, and I didn't hear obvious racist slurs.

The one singular white guy pantomining a monkey and hoo-hoo'ing at an obese black woman, in Mississippi, out front shoulda told ya?

Edited by BeardIP

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

You don’t think making gorilla noises towards black people is racist at all? 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Absolutely was.  I honestly did not see that part before I posted the video.  That is a clear example of racism of a counter protestor.  That's the only one I have seen so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Grimas said:

You know, that's at Ol'Miss, right? I'm sure he'll have a job lined up from daddy or one of his buddies dads who thinks what he did was great...

Maybe.  Maybe not.  My son's high school in Houston sends quite a few kids to Ole Miss and 100% of them pledge.  The parents I know would be very ashamed if their son did that.  And worried that he had just screwed up his life.

That was unacceptable and that young man knows better.  Mock them all you want.  Don't be a racist prick in doing so.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I know it goes against human nature to a large degree, but I think it would be better if they just ignored the protesters, and eventually they'll get bored and go home.

Protesting is stupid, IMO, but counter protesting is even worse.  All it does is raise tensions and create a tinderbox for violence.  

Ignore the protestors who are taking over buildings and keeping you from going to class?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In fairness, it looks to be raining. If I was participating, I would ask if we could reconvene on Monday.

Now that's what I call dedication to the cause, lol

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

And a few less NOI feeds on her social media.

*fewer

But, for those of us who don't speak social media, what's an NOI feed?

37 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

They'll be throwing lots of "roof parties" for them

First step's a doozy

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ignore the protestors who are taking over buildings and keeping you from going to class?

I meant the peaceful protestors, but yeah, if they should still be ignored by the student body when they start tearing shit up....that's a job for the cops.

Edited by DixonHur

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That's not what you said. You said that racists have overtaken the counter-protests. The implication is that the people displaying the American flag and singing the anthem are engaging in racism. They're not.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Gorillas are powerful and majestic beings and are considered highly intelligent.  Maybe he was honoring her.

What if the gorilla guy was a pro-Hamas agitator sent in to discredit the counter-protestor ?!?!?11!1!?

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread