CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

10 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Grantham is a well respected coach. The NFL comes after him almost every offseason. Bengals were the last team to try to hire him.  He will find work soon.

His resume took a hell of dent the last two seasons. He dials up some pretty nice blitzes, but struggles to stop basic run plays. LSU ran a 5 play playbook, mostly counters, and had a player set a school rushing record. Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, looking at this carousel Nick Saban (and to a lesser extent Meyer/Swinney) have created monsters of expectations. 

Steve Spurrier won 1 NC. So did Bob Stoops. So did Lou Holtz. Tom Osborne coached Nebraska for 21 years before he got his three. Don James coached 17 at UDub. 

These guys are legends, Hall of Fame coaches. You can argue that the game’s changed and you can’t afford to give that kind of rope, but I can also argue that no one tries it anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Rumblings that Lake may be out at UW. This may be the craziest coach hunt season in memory. UW is a very good job, but USC, LSU, maybe Florida will be hunting. It seems likely at least one if not both of Penn State and Sparty will come open. Some pretty proud programs are gonna be caught holding their peckers. If I were Gata I’d give Mullen a chance to right the ship, you don’t want to be fishing this year.

You mean like UT was last season?

On 11/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Rumblings that Lake may be out at UW. This may be the craziest coach hunt season in memory. UW is a very good job, but USC, LSU, maybe Florida will be hunting. It seems likely at least one if not both of Penn State and Sparty will come open. Some pretty proud programs are gonna be caught holding their peckers. If I were Gata I’d give Mullen a chance to right the ship, you don’t want to be fishing this year.

Florida is a better job than Penn State, Michigan State and UW, so Florida doesn't need to puss out and sit on the sidelines.

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Florida is a better job than Penn State, Michigan State and UW, so Florida doesn't need to puss out and sit on the sidelines.

Florida is not clearly better than USC, it's not better than LSU, and I'd even say that PSU gives Florida a close run.  The point is I can't see realistically 4-5 realistic candidates that are obviously better than Dan Mullen.  Deciding to blow stuff up and start over should not be done lightly. 

The Florida job is starting to look a lot like Texas, just not quite as bad. Since 2010 they’ve won at at a 63% rate compared to our 56%, are on their 4th coach during that span like us, with no conference championships (3 CCG appearances to our 1). All as the flagship of a state loaded with high school football talent. Something is going wrong that shouldn’t be. I wonder if it is a symptom of the university seeing itself as a great academic institution rather than a “football school.”  Call it the Michigan Syndrome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Man, looking at this carousel Nick Saban (and to a lesser extent Meyer/Swinney) have created monsters of expectations. 

Steve Spurrier won 1 NC. So did Bob Stoops. So did Lou Holtz. Tom Osborne coached Nebraska for 21 years before he got his three. Don James coached 17 at UDub. 

These guys are legends, Hall of Fame coaches. You can argue that the game’s changed and you can’t afford to give that kind of rope, but I can also argue that no one tries it anymore. 

Did any of those guys really get a lot of rope?

Spurrier went 9-2, 10-2, 9-4, 11-2 his first four years at Florida.

Holtz won a national title his third year at Notre Dame.

Stoops won a national title his second year at OUsucks.

Dabo tanked his third year, was given one chance to turn it around, then went 10-4 and 11-2 the next two years.

Every single one of those coaches got the rope because they won consistently from the beginning.  It wasn't a situation where universities took a chance on keeping them after they shit the bed for more than one season at the start.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Flordia was all in on Chip Kelly 4 years ago until Aikman and Wasserman swooped in.  I've felt bad about that ever since.  To alleviate that guilt, they can have Chip, no strings attached.  Let bygones be bygones.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, Sir Ulrich said:

in regards to Riley no coach goes from a Blue Blood to the 2nd tier ever

You know, I don't disagree with this take but I also find it hilarious that ou is seen as top tier over LSU but the Tigahs have won 2 chamionships since ou won their last one. 

Here's to another 20 ringless years for those fucks.

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

You know, I don't disagree with this take but I also find it hilarious that ou is seen as top tier over LSU but the Tigahs have won 2 chamionships since ou won their last one. 

One of them was won by this guy:

saban.jpg

The other one by this guy:

AuburnLSUFootball.JPG

Imagine if LSU had been able to keep their "original" hire. This guy:

KindheartedLongChafer-size_restricted.gi

No one would have known a thing about that bad ass wide receiver corp Orgeron inherited.

Edited by Davis Lane

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I beat you to the correction. Upon reflection I recalled how OU never suffered the same criticisms that tOSU did after losing in national championship game appearances. 

You must not have been around Texas or regional forums because OU got TONS of shit for losing, especially given the “Big Game Bob” moniker that was….inaccurate. 

5 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

To be fair to UDub leadership, those two things are quite a bit

They are separate issues and neither by itself should be grounds to cut bait on the guy after such a short tenure. If either became a pattern, then sure. Good luck to UW finding a quality replacement in this coaching market. If they can him, I hope Sark goes out and gets him to reunite with PK. Maybe together they are greater than the sum of their parts. 

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Wow, that is nuts. There has to be more behind the scenes than just losing to Montana and smacking the player on the helmet to fire him after less than a season and a half. 

His recruiting has been absolute dogshit.  And did you see him punting with 2 minutes left, down 8 with 1 TO against Oregon last week?  Actually they never punted, because the center snapped it over the punter's head for a safety.

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

They are separate issues and neither by itself should be grounds to cut bait on the guy after such a short tenure. If either became a pattern, then sure. Good luck to UW finding a quality replacement in this coaching market. If they can him, I hope Sark goes out and gets him to reunite with PK. Maybe together they are greater than the sum of their parts. 

Lake was a great coordinator and a disaster as head coach.  Like a lot of guys have been.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Sandman said:

Is this a joke?