CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

This off season could be nuts with all of the movement, we could have the following open:

USC

UCLA

LSU

Nebraska

Penn State

Virginia Tech

Tech

TCU

Washington State

Based on the LSU smoke add one of the following: 

OU, Clemson, A&M

A few wild cards depending on the finish to the season:

FSU, Miami, Florida, Michigan

• Hook 'Em 1

The idea of fire-your-coach-early-so-you-have-first-pick-at-the-top-candidates feels like it escalated significantly this year.   I get it; if you know you are going to let a coach go, why wait until the close of the season.  I just wonder how far it's going to go over the next few seasons.    

Wouldn't it have been great if we could have fired Strong after Season 2, Game 1.    (That's the Noter Dame game debacle for you young'uns.)  

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

This off season could be nuts with all of the movement, we could have the following open:

USC

UCLA

LSU

Nebraska

Penn State

Virginia Tech

Tech

TCU

Washington State

OU, Clemson, A&M

I think the LSU smoke on those three coaches is just that. It’s very rare for elite or even very good coaches to just change jobs and LSU overestimates themselves. Those places are not going to let themselves be outbid. 

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

I think the LSU smoke on those three coaches is just that. It’s very rare for elite or even very good coaches to just change jobs and LSU overestimates themselves. Those places are not going to let themselves be outbid. 

Very true just wanted to add any possibility with a 10% or higher chance. Imo Dabo is still a year or two early from jumping ship and in regards to Riley no coach goes from a Blue Blood to the 2nd tier ever. The only one with a real chance is Jimbo and that is mainly due to his history there and at his age this will be the window he has to make that jump.

I don’t think Dabo goes many places, and LSU is kind of a mess right now. I don’t see the appeal in leaving to clean that mess up, especially given the long leash he has at Clemson and the short one he will have at LSU. I see Dabo taking over some program that is rolling or at least decent already after a coach retires or goes to the NFL. Bama the obvious one, but who knows. Smart might want an NFL look. Mullen might not stay forever at UF, he won’t leave it a dumpster fire, and it’s a place where you can win big just like LSU but with less crazy shit to deal with. 

Riley— nah. Kind of the same deal. It’s probably marginally easier to recruit at LSU but it will get easier at OU once the conference changes. OU will pay whatever LSU will. Again, what’s the appeal to taking on that rebuild unless you’re currently unhappy? I think Riley is NFL or OU for life, that’s his track. 

Fisher is more realistic but only in comparison. He has to know he’s got a longer leash where he is and that LSU is unlikely to give him that type of contract. I can’t see him doing that unless he just absolutely believes that he has to get a second ring before he hangs them up; LSU would be an easier place to do that. Realistically, he is equally likely to be shown the door and not leave on his terms. The “he’s not happy where he is” reads like LSU board fanfic, he gets literally l everything he wants and LSU boosters will be equally shitty to deal with. 

LSU was at least as good a job if not better after Saban or after Miles. They landed the Okie Light coach and a coordinator retread. Don’t see how this shakes out differently, unless some real big name is unhappy out there and keeping it under wraps. 

Who do you think are the best candidates for the UCLA job if Chip Kelly is gone ???

Unlikely prayer?
-Chris Petersen. Word is he wants to get back into coaching and is not enamored with the SC job and the boosters there. UCLA could be a better, lower pressure gif.

More likely-
Kalen DeBoer- Fresno St
Jonathan Smith- Oregon St
and a name getting a lot of buzz
Tom Herman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

USC

UCLA

LSU

Nebraska

Penn State

Virginia Tech

Tech

TCU

Washington State

OU, Clemson, A&M

When the musical chairs stop there are more notable schools and I don't think any of the are A&M/OU/Clemson.

USC

UCLA

LSU

Nebraska

PSU

TCU

Tech

Florida

WSU

Michigan State (LSU look)

Baylor (LSU look)

Florida State

Miami

VaTech

Then throw in one "what in the world are they thinking" school and you've got massive turnover among P5 schools as little as 10% and as much as 20%.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know TCU is looking at Dykes and Taylor, but I have to think that Elko's on that next rung. He's at a point where he needs HC experience for one of the "bigger" jobs and TCU would be a good option for him. He recruits the state, they pay and support well, conference realignment puts him in great chance to win there and use it for future stepping stone. Bigger question is would TCU want him without HC experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I know TCU is looking at Dykes and Taylor, but I have to think that Elko's on that next rung. He's at a point where he needs HC experience for one of the "bigger" jobs and TCU would be a good option for him. He recruits the state, they pay and support well, conference realignment puts him in great chance to win there and use it for future stepping stone. Bigger question is would TCU want him without HC experience.

I think tcu will hire a HC that is more offensive minded than Elko.  Gotta sell tickets.

Gonna be fun to watch this search... 😋

Is anyone else having this tweet and the pic that goes with it load and crop awkwardly? I know it was posted on the last page.

Is this some kind of final insult to Gary after all he has done over the years. To have this terrible photo load up from the bottom three quarters view and make him look even sillier?

11 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The idea of fire-your-coach-early-so-you-have-first-pick-at-the-top-candidates feels like it escalated significantly this year.   I get it; if you know you are going to let a coach go, why wait until the close of the season.  I just wonder how far it's going to go over the next few seasons.    

Wouldn't it have been great if we could have fired Strong after Season 2, Game 1.    (That's the Noter Dame game debacle for you young'uns.)  

then we coulda won the 2nd one as you're breaking in a new coach?  But I get what you are saying.  Once everyone is firing midseason, someone will try to do it during the game.  Hopefully the NCAA disallows interviewing candidates at half time. 

17 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t think Dabo goes many places, and LSU is kind of a mess right now. I don’t see the appeal in leaving to clean that mess up, especially given the long leash he has at Clemson and the short one he will have at LSU. I see Dabo taking over some program that is rolling or at least decent already after a coach retires or goes to the NFL. Bama the obvious one, but who knows. Smart might want an NFL look. Mullen might not stay forever at UF, he won’t leave it a dumpster fire, and it’s a place where you can win big just like LSU but with less crazy shit to deal with. 

Riley— nah. Kind of the same deal. It’s probably marginally easier to recruit at LSU but it will get easier at OU once the conference changes. OU will pay whatever LSU will. Again, what’s the appeal to taking on that rebuild unless you’re currently unhappy? I think Riley is NFL or OU for life, that’s his track. 

Fisher is more realistic but only in comparison. He has to know he’s got a longer leash where he is and that LSU is unlikely to give him that type of contract. I can’t see him doing that unless he just absolutely believes that he has to get a second ring before he hangs them up; LSU would be an easier place to do that. Realistically, he is equally likely to be shown the door and not leave on his terms. The “he’s not happy where he is” reads like LSU board fanfic, he gets literally l everything he wants and LSU boosters will be equally shitty to deal with. 

LSU was at least as good a job if not better after Saban or after Miles. They landed the Okie Light coach and a coordinator retread. Don’t see how this shakes out differently, unless some real big name is unhappy out there and keeping it under wraps. 

I think LSU's short list right now is 

1) Riley

2) Fisher

3a,b,c,d) Franklin, Tucker, Aranda, Napier

They're going to offer Riley the biggest per year number ever and sell him on being able to bring in elite defensive talent. I think Riley stays put, and only leaves if an ideal NFL job opens up though. OU making the playoff would completely take him out of the conversation, because LSU wants their next coach hired before early signing day

Not sure about Fisher. He doesn't love A&M, but obviously has great job security there, while LSU would be more of a pressure cooker. Him getting another raise from A&M out of this would be hilarious 

If/when they miss on their top two, I think then they start weighing the pros and cons of the next group, all of whom would crawl to BR for that job. A dark horse would be Kiffin, but I think Orgeron's off the field issues around Baton Rouge makes Lane a tougher sell since he's also a wild man 

16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

When the musical chairs stop there are more notable schools and I don't think any of the are A&M/OU/Clemson.

USC

UCLA

LSU

Nebraska

PSU

TCU

Tech

Florida

WSU

Michigan State (LSU look)

Baylor (LSU look)

Florida State

Miami

VaTech

Then throw in one "what in the world are they thinking" school and you've got massive turnover among P5 schools as little as 10% and as much as 20%.

This going to be crazy. I really hope Texas is able to grab some talent (players, coaches, support staff) during all the uncertainty.

32 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get $$$, but otherwise is TCU better than SMU in a post Texas/OU Big12?

Smu is in the AAC (conference) which is going in the shitter due to the losses of Cincinnati, UCF and UH -- so yes tcu is a much better job than smu...  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

it would be shocking to me if Dabo left for an SEC job.

it would be shocking to me if Dabo ends up anywhere other than Bama.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:18 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

I get $$$, but otherwise is TCU better than SMU in a post Texas/OU Big12?

TCU becomes a better job without having to deal with Texas and OU in the conference. Especially when the Big 12 will likely remain the third best football conference in the country behind the SEC and BIG. Losing Texas is a non-factor and OU is being replaced with another playoff contender in Cinci. Then you add two teams frequently in the top 25 this past decade in BYU and UCF? Even Houston is on the way up with stability under Dana. Losing OU means they do not have that obvious tent pole program that will start every season in the top ~5-8, sure, but it also opens things up for everyone else to make more regular runs toward a conf title. 

Our departure makes a dent in their wallets but they've assembled an entertaining package of teams who should have no trouble regularly putting their champ into an expanded 8 team playoff. Conversely SMU is kind of fucked moving forward due to the alignment shuffle. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:57 AM, Fud said:

Not sure about Fisher. He doesn't love A&M, but obviously has great job security there, while LSU would be more of a pressure cooker. Him getting another raise from A&M out of this would be hilarious

He doesn't? But I thought he has ranches? And hunts there and stuff? No?

8 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

TCU becomes a better job without having to deal with Texas and OU in the conference. Especially when the Big 12 will likely remain the third best football conference in the country behind the SEC and BIG. Losing Texas is a non-factor and OU is being replaced with another playoff contender in Cinci. Then you add two teams frequently in the top 25 this past decade in BYU and UCF? Even Houston is on the way up with stability under Dana. Losing OU means they do not have that obvious tent pole program that will start every season in the top ~5-8, sure, but it also opens things up for everyone else to make more regular runs toward a conf title. 

Our departure makes a dent in their wallets but they've assembled an entertaining package of teams who should have no trouble regularly putting their champ into an expanded 8 team playoff. Conversely SMU is kind of fucked moving forward due to the alignment shuffle. 

The Big 12 post Texas/OU is not going to be the 3rd best conference.

Yikes! SIAP.

“From Jan. 1, 2010 to Jan. 31, 2021, public universities in FBS conferences paid out more than $533.6 million in dead money to head coaches and assistant coaches in football and men's and women's basketball, according to an analysis of financial records obtained by ESPN through state open records laws.

The total does not include tens of millions of dollars in severance payments to coaches who have been fired or resigned since then, including head football coaches at Georgia Southern, LSU, TCU, Texas Tech, Akron, UConn and USC. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron, who guided the Tigers to a College Football Playoff national championship in 2019 and was then dismissed last month, is owed about $16.9 million, which will be doled out in 18 installment payments through December 2025, according to the university.”
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32552130/schools-spent-5336-million-dead-money

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yikes! SIAP.

“From Jan. 1, 2010 to Jan. 31, 2021, public universities in FBS conferences paid out more than $533.6 million in dead money to head coaches and assistant coaches in football and men's and women's basketball, according to an analysis of financial records obtained by ESPN through state open records laws.

The total does not include tens of millions of dollars in severance payments to coaches who have been fired or resigned since then, including head football coaches at Georgia Southern, LSU, TCU, Texas Tech, Akron, UConn and USC. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron, who guided the Tigers to a College Football Playoff national championship in 2019 and was then dismissed last month, is owed about $16.9 million, which will be doled out in 18 installment payments through December 2025, according to the university.”
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32552130/schools-spent-5336-million-dead-money

20120908_kdl_sr9_150.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Yikes! SIAP.

Being a fired head coach is lucrative work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Rumblings that Lake may be out at UW. This may be the craziest coach hunt season in memory. UW is a very good job, but USC, LSU, maybe Florida will be hunting. It seems likely at least one if not both of Penn State and Sparty will come open. Some pretty proud programs are gonna be caught holding their peckers. If I were Gata I’d give Mullen a chance to right the ship, you don’t want to be fishing this year.

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rumblings that Lake may be out at UW. This may be the craziest coach hunt season in memory. UW is a very good job, but USC, LSU, maybe Florida will be hunting. It seems likely at least one if not both of Penn State and Sparty will come open. Some pretty proud programs are gonna be caught holding their peckers. If I were Gata I’d give Mullen a chance to right the ship, you don’t want to be fishing this year.

After watching the clip I'm fine picking him up as a DB coach... Did he pop him in the helmet yes, was it that big a deal, heck no.

• Hook 'Em 1