CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Who is the next full-time Virginia Tech football coach?

• Jamey Chadwell +400
  • Billy Napier +500
  • Mike Elko +600
  • Dave Clawson +700
  • Brent Venables/Tony Elliott +800
  • Joe Moorhead +1000
  • Bill O'Brien +1200
  • Sonny Dykes +1300
  • Hugh Freeze +1500
  • Shane Beamer +1800
  • Gary Patterson +2000
  • Marcus Freeman +2000

More big jobs are going to open up too. Possibly all three big Florida schools (but likely just Miami).

I’m surprised Todd Monken isn’t popping up at all yet. He and Elko should be top coordinator picks. Monken did well as HC at Southern Miss before moving to NFL

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Checking in on Tigerdroppings... they seem to be panicking a bit because their insiders are getting more pessimistic about Riley and Jimbo since they haven't gotten a yes yet, Tucker getting the raise and seemingly no longer an option, and with, according to them, Aranda likely to USC. Now Mark Stoops, BOB, and Matt Campbell are being mentioned, along with Aranda and Napier

I'm not taking BOB or Campbell seriously, and it seems like it'll be Napier, who seemed like the favorite for about a year 

From one of these guys a little while ago.... fwiw

"I have heard a whale has been harpooned and being reeled in!"

Everyone too busy laughing at Texas to notice the shit show going on in LSU

Ed Orgeron on Jake Peetz: "The one thing I did was trust Joe Brady. I knew there'd be a learning curve. I won't say it was a mistake. It's not like they're not looking, it's just their experience level may not be what I wanted for this job."

I would say hes burning down all the bridges on his way out but I think hes too dumb to realize what hes saying. Lucky he got paid cause I can't imagine any school ever hiring him again.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Everyone too busy laughing at Texas to notice the shit show going on in LSU

Ed Orgeron on Jake Peetz: "The one thing I did was trust Joe Brady. I knew there'd be a learning curve. I won't say it was a mistake. It's not like they're not looking, it's just their experience level may not be what I wanted for this job."

I would say hes burning down all the bridges on his way out but I think hes too dumb to realize what hes saying. Lucky he got paid cause I can't imagine any school ever hiring him again.

He'll sit out a couple of years while getting paid by LSU, and then go be a DL coach at Bama or Georgia and be their Louisiana recruiting rainmaker

5 hours ago, Fud said:

LSU supposedly would pay him $12-$13mm per year 

That seems hard to believe since they wanted Herman but didn’t want to get into a bidding war with Texas and were content with taking Orgeron. In retrospect it looks like they came out ahead on that decision. Both Herman and Orgeron were eventually let go but at least LSU got a championship out of the deal and saved a few (million?) bucks vs. the alternative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s the allure of going to LSU for Lincoln Riley? More money? Built in recruiting advantage? I mean, he’s been able to recruit solid classes at OU and has his system rolling now. It’s not a Jimbo at FSU situation where the program is rapidly deteriorating. It just doesn’t make sense to me unless he thinks OU won’t be able to compete in the SEC and will turn into Arkansas. If he leaves, I’d be very interested in seeing who OU goes after. Hopefully not Aranda.

14 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

What’s the allure of going to LSU for Lincoln Riley? More money? Built in recruiting advantage? I mean, he’s been able to recruit solid classes at OU and has his system rolling now. It’s not a Jimbo at FSU situation where the program is rapidly deteriorating. It just doesn’t make sense to me unless he thinks OU won’t be able to compete in the SEC and will turn into Arkansas. If he leaves, I’d be very interested in seeing who OU goes after. Hopefully not Aranda.

You can consistently land top three classes in terms of average star rating at LSU, and you can't really at OU

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Will OU have as much allure to TX HS athletes in the SEC as they did in the Big12?  In the Big12 it was come play for the premier school in the league, make the CFB playoffs, and play a ton of games in TX.  I'm speculating but, in the SEC they won't be the top school most years as I expect much more parity and TX kids could play as many in-state games going to Ole Miss as OU.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Not living in Oklahoma sounds pretty alluring.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Not living in Oklahoma sounds pretty alluring.

Louisiana is one of the very few states that is lower than Oklahoma in many quality of life statistics. Both are pretty shitty overall. 

My guess is that OU fans have been rough on him and he's looking forward to the pleasant hospitality of LSU fans [/sarcasmfont].

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Will OU have as much allure to TX HS athletes in the SEC as they did in the Big12?  In the Big12 it was come play for the premier school in the league, make the CFB playoffs, and play a ton of games in TX.  I'm speculating but, in the SEC they won't be the top school most years as I expect much more parity and TX kids could play as many in-state games going to Ole Miss as OU.  

I've always thought that Bob and Riley passed over Nfl offers because it was so easy for them to win the big 12.  SEC?  Not so much.

The problem LSU has is that Riley is already the 13th highest paid coach at $7 Million.  Yes, LSU is paying their current coach more ($8.5m), but that's only about 20% more.  It's not like they are trying to steal Fickell or Traylor where the difference in salary something like 3x or 8x.  can they crank the salary up even more? Maybe, but it seems like Riley's long term prospects at OU are much better than at LSU.   10 years at $7M is way better than 4 years at $10M.   

I think Riley stays at OU. 

And I don't think OU becomes Arkansas or Missouri...more like an Auburn where they are almost always near the top with the occasional breakthrough season.

Also, OU still sucks.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

And I don't think OU becomes Arkansas or Missouri...more like an Auburn where they are almost always near the top with the occasional breakthrough season.

I think that is going to be a big problem going into the SEC for OU, and to a lesser extent TX.  You think those fans are going to be ok being relegated to Auburn most years?  Hell no.  Huge expectations in a much tougher environment.

How will the SEC be better for OU shorter term?  More money certainly.  Recruiting just got much harder.  Most schools have more fertile recruiting grounds in their backyard and OU's current recruiting budget would be 7th-8th best in the SEC.  Advantage in recruiting Texas kids (top school in Big12 and lots of games in TX) will greatly erode.  Recruiting future HCs would be more difficult.  OU in the SEC will be the 4th-6th best job in the conference compared to 1st or 2nd currently.  On-field competition, that clearly got tougher too.

Until the SEC finally succeeds in creating a super league and multiple losses are expected by all teams annually, similar to the NFL, I think OU fans are going to be pretty unhappy with the new norm.  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Louisiana is one of the very few states that is lower than Oklahoma in many quality of life statistics. Both are pretty shitty overall. 

My guess is that OU fans have been rough on him and he's looking forward to the pleasant hospitality of LSU fans [/sarcasmfont].

Yeah, but at least Louisiana has New Orleans and better food.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

10 years at $7M is way better than 4 years at $10M.   

Yep.  He could coast Mack brown style on his past success for a decade .  Or he could flop at LSU and be done.  Unless he gets a jimbo style contract I don’t see it happening.  Although hell, he could flame out at LSU in 3 season and turn right around and make 2 mil a year as coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We've reach a point where you better be damn sure the coach you are signing is the one your want as the cost to send them packing and to get the new one you want is going to be tens of millions. 

Coaches' salaries are why one of these days someone is going to successfully organize college athletes.

2 hours ago, Bodhi said:

I think that is going to be a big problem going into the SEC for OU, and to a lesser extent TX.  You think those fans are going to be ok being relegated to Auburn most years?  Hell no.  Huge expectations in a much tougher environment.

How will the SEC be better for OU shorter term?  More money certainly.  Recruiting just got much harder.  Most schools have more fertile recruiting grounds in their backyard and OU's current recruiting budget would be 7th-8th best in the SEC.  Advantage in recruiting Texas kids (top school in Big12 and lots of games in TX) will greatly erode.  Recruiting future HCs would be more difficult.  OU in the SEC will be the 4th-6th best job in the conference compared to 1st or 2nd currently.  On-field competition, that clearly got tougher too.

Until the SEC finally succeeds in creating a super league and multiple losses are expected by all teams annually, similar to the NFL, I think OU fans are going to be pretty unhappy with the new norm.  

This is why I question the move by both Texas and OU.  Sure, the pie slices are bigger, but for fans, is the amount of money your program makes the most important consideration, or winning?  There will be a LOT of losses to go around in the SEC, and only so many playoff slots for 2 loss teams.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

This is why I question the move by both Texas and OU.  Sure, the pie slices are bigger, but for fans, is the amount of money your program makes the most important consideration, or winning?  There will be a LOT of losses to go around in the SEC, and only so many playoff slots for 2 loss teams.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  

But, we're Tex...

Ah fuck I can't even type that sarcastically these days.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It is not like we've been tearing up XII over our tenure. 

48 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The most important thing is money. Always money.

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sure, the pie slices are bigger, but for fans, is the amount of money your program makes the most important consideration, or winning? 

I think at Texas we know the answer to that. 

For Oklahoma it's rumored they're having trouble getting enough money to upgrade their facilities and keep up so from a financial standpoint for them it makes sense.

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

PAID$$$$$$$$

10 years $95 million 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/11/17/michigan-state-football-mel-tucker-contract-mat-ishbia-steve-st-andre/8647710002/

People thought the Jimbo 10/75 contract was crazy.  Tucker has one winning season as a HC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

It is not like we've been tearing up XII over our tenure. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I agree and the recent loses really dont help to bolster the move. Bottom line win the Big 12 and go undefeated and you are in most years. Move to SEC recruiting will get diluted and likely tougher. Sure more money will be there, not going to be happy with cash with 4 to 5 losses each season. I realize its a done deal but dark days may very well be ahead without a timeline for a path back to the top.

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

10 years $95 million 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/11/17/michigan-state-football-mel-tucker-contract-mat-ishbia-steve-st-andre/8647710002/

People thought the Jimbo 10/75 contract was crazy.  Tucker has one winning season as a HC.

Holy crap... good for him.

For reference, this is his head coaching record:

2011 NFL (interim) 2-3

------------------------

2019 Colorado 5-7

2020 Mich St 2-5

2021 Mich St 9-1 so far

College record: 16-13

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

10 years $95 million 

Insanity. Another example that people have no trouble spending other people's money.

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

10 years $95 million 

Well, Tucker was never cuck'd by a trainer, so I think Mel has a better claim to being paid this much. 

Edited by 'stache