CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

34 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

That's a lot of the talk from the $9.95-ers here as well. It is not particularly popular, although it would be better than some other options.

That's my big concern with ditching Kelly this offseason.  Seems like there are WAY too many openings to compete with.  Not sure we would end up with a better coach than the mediocre one we have.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Baylor's bound to hire a dud soon enough. I want to see that program back to the cellar. They shouldn't be allowed to have major athletics. 

In their defense, they were due. They had quite a storied history of hiring duds between Grant Teaff and Art Briles:

• 1993-1996:  Chuck Reedy, Overall Winning %: 0.511; Conference %: .448
  • 1997-1998:   Dave Roberts, Overall Winning % 0.182; Conference %: .125
  • 1999-2002:  Kevin Steele, Overall Winning % .200; Conference %: .031
  • 2003-2007:  Guy Morris, Overall Winning % .310; Conference %: .175

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

That's my big concern with ditching Kelly this offseason.  Seems like there are WAY too many openings to compete with.  Not sure we would end up with a better coach than the mediocre one we have.

Yeah, don't make the same fucking mistake UT made this past offseason.

3 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

That's a lot of the talk from the $9.95-ers here as well. It is not particularly popular, although it would be better than some other options.

Look what our guys just posted(spoilered as it is $9.95 stuff and they don't look kindly on it get reposted):

Spoiler

Representatives of Washington have been told UCLA coach Chip Kelly would be interested in the newly-vacant head coaching job, according to sources.

The UW administration, from what we know, is considering how Kelly would fit in with the Husky program.

Also: Bruce Feldman, the college football writer for The Athletic, wrote on Sunday that Kelly would be a "potential wild card" for the UW job.

Our take: Tidbits usually get dropped in the media in this manner when a coach and his representatives want to get the coach's name out there. It's done for various reasons, among them: to facilitate and leverage a re-signing with the existing program (Kelly will be entering the fifth and last year of his UCLA contract in January, and it's standard operating procedure to extend and possibly restructure a coach's contract before that final contractual year); to generally create a buzz in the market about the coach, and/or to make it seem like the coach is looking around to get ahead of a potential firing.  

When it comes to Washington considering Kelly: The Husky administration could see some advantages in Kelly -- his reputation and affinity for the Pacific Northwest; being a splashy big name the Washington fan community respects that could satisfy the donor crowd; and being a legitimately good offensive coach with a good offensive scheme, which Washington has sorely lacked recently under fired coach Jimmy Lake. Conversely, we could also see Washington viewing Kelly as an improbable fit for the program -- preferring a coach that would plug in a more spread/pass-heavy offense, which better suits its present personnel, and Kelly not exactly having the reputation as an avid recruiter, which Washington believes it needs to keep pace with recruiting juggernaut Oregon.

More than anything, these developments are all probably the biggest indication to date that something happening in regard to Kelly's status with UCLA at the end of the season is a distinct possibility.

6 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Who would be your top choices personally?

I'm not sure, to be honest - I'm not sure how big-money serious the program is and what they're looking for. The upside is that there is actually a decent amount of young talent here and it is a place where you can win. After the last hire, I hope they'll be looking at someone who has actually run a program.

Intriguing names to me would be Billy Napier (bit of a reach) or Kalen DeBoer at Fresno (high upside but risky). Todd Monken would be an intriguing choice as well. Unfortunately with all the high profile openings the Luke Fickells and Matt Campbells of the world are out. 

Hermensa is popular on the board I read, mainly because they do not read Shagurly and so do not know what I do about him (some of the tOSU stuff has been mentioned recently though). For me? Do not want. Wilcox would be accepted here but to me would also tell me the AD is no longer terribly serious about FB.

But... the crazy people think Bob Stoops is in play somehow, since he's apparently friends with Chris Petersen and Petersen is on the search committee. It's ludicrous, but there is a beloved local burger joint here called Dick's, meaning that he could continue to eat bags of dicks to his heart's content. It's difficult to overlook that factor. 
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Look what our guys just posted(spoilered as it is $9.95 stuff and they don't look kindly on it get reposted):

Reveal hidden contents

Representatives of Washington have been told UCLA coach Chip Kelly would be interested in the newly-vacant head coaching job, according to sources.

The UW administration, from what we know, is considering how Kelly would fit in with the Husky program.

Also: Bruce Feldman, the college football writer for The Athletic, wrote on Sunday that Kelly would be a "potential wild card" for the UW job.

Our take: Tidbits usually get dropped in the media in this manner when a coach and his representatives want to get the coach's name out there. It's done for various reasons, among them: to facilitate and leverage a re-signing with the existing program (Kelly will be entering the fifth and last year of his UCLA contract in January, and it's standard operating procedure to extend and possibly restructure a coach's contract before that final contractual year); to generally create a buzz in the market about the coach, and/or to make it seem like the coach is looking around to get ahead of a potential firing.  

When it comes to Washington considering Kelly: The Husky administration could see some advantages in Kelly -- his reputation and affinity for the Pacific Northwest; being a splashy big name the Washington fan community respects that could satisfy the donor crowd; and being a legitimately good offensive coach with a good offensive scheme, which Washington has sorely lacked recently under fired coach Jimmy Lake. Conversely, we could also see Washington viewing Kelly as an improbable fit for the program -- preferring a coach that would plug in a more spread/pass-heavy offense, which better suits its present personnel, and Kelly not exactly having the reputation as an avid recruiter, which Washington believes it needs to keep pace with recruiting juggernaut Oregon.

More than anything, these developments are all probably the biggest indication to date that something happening in regard to Kelly's status with UCLA at the end of the season is a distinct possibility.

Oh, dear Gawd no. No no no nonononono. He would not be nearly as popular here as that article implies. He seems to have checked out a bit (as you're well aware) and this program needs a beast recruiting-wise, what with Uncle Phil Sweatshop's $$$ down the road. They play the recruiting game SEC style down there, probably because it (unfortunately) works.

Sorry I missed seeing that you visited Husky Stadium this year. Would've happily given you a few tips. Hopefully you had a good visit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is looking like one of the crazier carousels in recent history with the high profile jobs open and possible musical chairs.  

LSU- Riley Leaves OU

USC and OU fight a death match for Aranda.  USC wins

OU stumbles into a consolation of Napier or maybe Urban looks under the hood and likes what he sees

TCU- Matt Campbell?

Rapey— gets lucky yet again and hires Traylor?

UCLA— It sounds like they could fire Chip, no idea who they would target

Miami—could they get Cristobal?

Duck—Someone contact Phil, if they lose Cristobal we have a gently used west coast guy they should look at.  Then we go get Traylor or grab another coach from Lubbock before the ink dries on the new contract  

what happens at UF if they keep losing? Freshwater in the swamp? Do they have enough money to moneywhip Dabo?

Rhule will probably be back in college if the right job opens,  He would be on my short list.  

I don’t know shit about fuck but this might end up being an epic carousel. 

Edited by Jimbob
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Our $9.95ers are hearing Justin Wilcox at Cal is the leader in the clubhouse to take over at UW.  Despite Cal's shittiness, Wilcox is a good coach, and could do really well there.

I have heard he isn’t on UW’s list and that his representation is trying hard to create enough smoke/hype to get him somewhere better than Berkeley.

7 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Who pays money to them?  They are not in the loop and are constantly wrong.  Only one of those sites, not a mainstream one, had actual connections, but only with recruiting.   Repeating Jon Wilner isn’t reporting nor worth any subscription cost.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sundodger said:

I have heard he isn’t on UW’s list and that his representation is trying hard to create enough smoke/hype to get him somewhere better than Berkeley.

That's what I've heard as well - that he's pushing his candidacy through Wilner (and others). Hopefully the UW will see through it.

I don't pay shit for any of that. There's enough other ways to hear what those knobs are blathering about.

+rep for your avatar and username

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

When I was down there last month for the Pitt game we beat the hell out of Tech. Then I looked up his record while at Tech and it has gotten progressively worse. And, he was getting $4,200,000 for that record. Not a good combination.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

When I was down there last month for the Pitt game we beat the hell out of Tech. Then I looked up his record while at Tech and it has gotten progressively worse. And, he was getting $4,200,000 for that record. Not a good combination.

Dude got a $10 million payout. If Tech would have waited until Dec. 15th he would have "only" received $7.5 mil....I wish I could get fired like that...

On 11/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, Handcruser said:

Didn’t we use a search firm for Charlie?

That was a fucking disaster.

I thought the search firms were basically just the company that does the background checks and other bullshit so a school can “look into a coach” without officially looking into a coach

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I thought the search firms were basically just the company that does the background checks and other bullshit so a school can “look into a coach” without officially looking into a coach

"We want to hire Coach 1234loco, we need you to justify our decision."

22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

They are.  Search firms are just functionally a way to get around FOIA stuff for state universities.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got off the phone with a friend who's very plugged into the UDub program (knows a lot of former players and current coaches).  

He said that Jimmy Lake had become a complete tyrant.  That he had a falling out with Petersen in 2016 after the Alabama game.  Repeatedly said that they would beaten Alabama if he had been head coach.  Said that his assistant coaches completely hated him, because Lake would just completely eviscerate them in practice in front of the team.  That he was abusive to everyone.  

Said that Lake is a completely different person around Petersen, but he literally cut Petersen out of the program, hadn't even talked to  Petersen in two years.

Jimmy was not an OKG.

Edited by Beau Vine

Checking in on Tigerdroppings... they seem to be panicking a bit because their insiders are getting more pessimistic about Riley and Jimbo since they haven't gotten a yes yet, Tucker getting the raise and seemingly no longer an option, and with, according to them, Aranda likely to USC. Now Mark Stoops, BOB, and Matt Campbell are being mentioned, along with Aranda and Napier

I'm not taking BOB or Campbell seriously, and it seems like it'll be Napier, who seemed like the favorite for about a year 

Just now, Fud said:

Checking in on Tigerdroppings... they seem to be panicking a bit because their insiders are getting more pessimistic about Riley and Jimbo since they haven't gotten a yes yet, Tucker getting the raise and seemingly no longer an option, and with, according to them, Aranda likely to USC. Now Mark Stoops, BOB, and Matt Campbell are being mentioned, along with Aranda and Napier

I'm not taking BOB or Campbell seriously, and it seems like it'll be Napier, who seemed like the favorite for about a year 

I haven't really paid much attention to the Riley to LSU stuff, but why would he leave OU for LSU?

1 hour ago, TexasGolf said:

agents right now...

200.gif

It’s crazy and going to spiral out of control at some point.  If LSU put 12 million on the table (after giving orgeron 9? Million) there is no way they can pay less than that.  If they strike out on their top 3 choices they still have to pay their #4 at least 9 million .  

2 hours ago, Fud said:

This is always the way it works.  You fire your coach and all the rumors spread around by agents are that you'll be getting some elite coach who will leave his blue blood HC job somewhere else.  Then as time goes on, names start dropping off the list and you end up with a coordinator or the next G5 up-and-comer.  

15 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

But... the crazy people think Bob Stoops is in play somehow, since he's apparently friends with Chris Petersen and Petersen is on the search committee. It's ludicrous, but there is a beloved local burger joint here called Dick's, meaning that he could continue to eat bags of dicks to his heart's content. It's difficult to overlook that factor. 

From my spies:

stoops.thumb.png.4f03b7a625fe99d75a443286145769b8.png

• Haha 2