CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Coaches' salaries are why one of these days someone is going to successfully organize college athletes.

Coaching salaries are payment in kind to the players. If they think playing for a highly paid coach is a ripoff then they can go play in the MAC where their coach is only making six figures. That’ll show ‘em. 

28 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Holy crap... good for him.

For reference, this is his head coaching record:

2011 NFL (interim) 2-3

------------------------

2019 Colorado 5-7

2020 Mich St 2-5

2021 Mich St 9-1 so far

College record: 16-13

This is how shitty the coaching market is. Mel Tucker is probably one of the top choices for LSU.

That's why he's getting this raise. 

Why the thinking that OU can't recruit in the SEC.  They'll likely have the #1 class in the country for 2023.  If anything, they'll get more exposure in the South where there are better linemen.  Sure, they won't go 11-1 every year in the SEC and their fans will have to adapt to that but they'll be in the top 3rd of the league.  LSU's main advantage is it recruits itself and you can sign a class within a 3 hour drive and it's a Top 5 class most every year.

However, Lincoln Riley has two young kids.  He ain't moving them to Baton Rouge.

Also, I think some are overvaluing the impact the move to the SEC will have on recruiting. Sure, it will have an impact but I don't think it's going to completely transform OU's recruiting. 

OU has been recruiting well but when is the last time they ended up with a top 5 class? It's been years. 

LSU been stacking top 5 classes with a very meh coach in Orgeron. How much of that is the SEC? I dunno, probably some but LSU is also a much easier place to recruit to and they're willing to go all in on the bagmen. 

I don't really believe it's easier to win or even recruit at LSU vs OU, but I do think it might be a good idea for Riley to take that job. OU will likely start losing 2 or 3 games a lot more often in the SEC, and their fans will not be satisfied with those seasons. He should take the pay day while he can.

4 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I don't really believe it's easier to win or even recruit at LSU vs OU, but I do think it might be a good idea for Riley to take that job. OU will likely start losing 2 or 3 games a lot more often in the SEC, and their fans will not be satisfied with those seasons. He should take the pay day while he can.

Yeah, I totally disagree. I get OU has historically been dirty but LSU is one of the biggest bagman schools in the country. 

Hell, their men's basketball coach is on tape saying as much. 

Just look at how LSU recruits in all of the Big 3 sports. OU can't sniff that in any of those 3 sports. I think there are probably different things in play but it really just comes down to $ as Will Wade continues to prove. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Brody Miller, LSU's guy with The Athletic, apparently said in an interview that LSU is now putting feelers out to their backup plans because Riley and Jimbo said no

If every there was year to make a run at Dabo, this would be the year (assuming you think he can still recruit/coach)

adding... we're only a month away from early signing day, dominos are going to need to start falling soon for many of these schools so others know who is still available since they will create new openings as well

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If every there was year to make a run at Dabo, this would be the year (assuming you think he can still recruit/coach)

I really want Elliott to move on while he still has a good reputation and Venebles to get a job like VaTech.  Then see how Dabo does.  It could be a swift, swit decline.

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

10 years $95 million 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/11/17/michigan-state-football-mel-tucker-contract-mat-ishbia-steve-st-andre/8647710002/

People thought the Jimbo 10/75 contract was crazy.  Tucker has one winning season as a HC.

Not sure if that's desperate, crazy, or both. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Dave Aranda is going to make so much money when USC and LSU get into a money war over him. 

And if (when) SC loses but it's public they were prepared to push $7-$8 mil per for him, next man up is gonna want that.  It might be a glorious failure.

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This is why I question the move by both Texas and OU.  Sure, the pie slices are bigger, but for fans, is the amount of money your program makes the most important consideration, or winning?  There will be a LOT of losses to go around in the SEC, and only so many playoff slots for 2 loss teams.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  

Since when have the wishes of the fans made any difference?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Riley ain’t going to no damn LSU

If LSU is stupid enough to offer that kind of alleged scratch, he'd be a fool to turn it down.  

An extra $4 million a year to do the same thing he is now, with LSU's bagman network?  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

There's little downside to it since it's funded entirely by two of their mega-boosters. They're on an upward trajectory if they can get a few top 100 recruits each year (they have none committed rn). 

According to this, Ishbia is worth ~$8.6 billion (https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/profiles/mat-ishbia/). Even if he picked up the entire tab, that would knock  him down to a paltry $8.5 billion, he aint gonna miss it. No brainer for MSU with no financial ramifications, because if they lose Tucker who knows what they end up with. At least with Tucker they have a known entity to them, vs starting over.

Source of money aside, this is still pretty crazy. This year's record is basically a win against a good Michigan squad and a bunch of shit to average teams. Last year tOSU bent them over pretty good in East Lansing, so it will be interesting to see how they do in Columbus. I'd certainly do the same if I were the MSU AD, because fuck it, but Tucker has a pretty shaky record to date for that kind of coin. Then again, that might be a middle of the road salary for P5 coaches in 4-5 years. 

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If LSU is stupid enough to offer that kind of alleged scratch, he'd be a fool to turn it down.  

An extra $4 million a year to do the same thing he is now, with LSU's bagman network?  

OU should be able to match whatever LSU scrapes together. And for equal money, Riley may just stay where he's at where he's dialed in. Coach O went from national championship to looking for work in 2 years, not sure that would be so appealing to Riley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

OU should be able to match whatever LSU scrapes together. And for equal money, Riley may just stay where he's at where he's dialed in. Coach O went from national championship to looking for work in 2 years, not sure that would be so appealing to Riley. 

Oh, for sure.  If it comes down to dollars to dollars, they could.   But, would they match what LSU pays assistants, combined with the bagmen?  

If Ed had kept his head on straight instead of hitting on a regent's wife at a gas station, paid a little diligence on his assistant hires and other assorted things, he probably still has the job.  

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh, for sure.  If it comes down to dollars to dollars, they could.   But, would they match what LSU pays assistants, combined with the bagmen?  

If Ed had kept his head on straight instead of hitting on a regent's wife at a gas station, paid a little diligence on his assistant hires and other assorted things, he probably still has the job.  

Football is essentially the entirety of OU's identity. I'm guessing they can and would match, if not exceed, anything LSU promises. They know how quickly it can all run off the rails... Why run the risk of turning into Texas, perpetually looking for their next coach? I guess they can try and do better, but thats a hell of a gamble. 

image.png.a7f17225000173ba6c1750cb366ac643.png

I have no idea why Riley would ever entertain leaving ou. He's king there and has nothing to prove. And it isn't like ou can't recruit. I guess if he just wants to live in Baton Rouge? I mean, there is little upside potential to me for him to leave. He gets carte blanche and doesn't really have to answer to anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

According to this, Ishbia is worth ~$8.6 billion (https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/profiles/mat-ishbia/). Even if he picked up the entire tab, that would knock  him down to a paltry $8.5 billion, he aint gonna miss it. No brainer for MSU with no financial ramifications, because if they lose Tucker who knows what they end up with. At least with Tucker they have a known entity to them, vs starting over.

Source of money aside, this is still pretty crazy. This year's record is basically a win against a good Michigan squad and a bunch of shit to average teams. Last year tOSU bent them over pretty good in East Lansing, so it will be interesting to see how they do in Columbus. I'd certainly do the same if I were the MSU AD, because fuck it, but Tucker has a pretty shaky record to date for that kind of coin. Then again, that might be a middle of the road salary for P5 coaches in 4-5 years. 

They'll lose to Ohio St by 14+ on Saturday, but they still made a good move today. Your typical 10-2 B1G team beats about 1-2 year-end top 25 teams with the rest being average to bad. The key to elevating your program quickly in the B1G is to recruit the south and mid-Atlantic hard, and it's perfectly fine to settle for mid-tier 3 stars from those areas instead of the mostly slow (yet tough unlike most TXHSFB players) guys from the midwest. Penn St has typically played Ohio St competitively under Franklin (6-2 ATS) because of how athletic their defense is relative to other teams up there. Meanwhile, Harbaugh is 2-3 ATS against Ohio St so far despite having just as much/more talent than Penn St. Your defense is absolutely toast if it lacks elite/great athleticism at too many spots because Day will isolate receivers on your slow personnel early and often (or he could get Henderson in space). Tucker understands this and is turning over their roster to have a shot at keeping up with the Buckeyes and stealing a game if you're +2 in TO margin and/or create more explosive plays. They also have a great DPP who is savvy at identifying plus athletes in the transfer portal. Their roster just isn't good enough yet though, so a blowout is probably coming on Saturday because Day doesn't fuck around if his roster is significantly more athletic than that of his opponent.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

But, he doesn't because he's a coonass buffoon.

I also think Riley stays at OU for the same money. He'll probably just leverage LSU's offer.

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Holy crap... good for him.

For reference, this is his head coaching record:

2011 NFL (interim) 2-3

------------------------

2019 Colorado 5-7

2020 Mich St 2-5

2021 Mich St 9-1 so far

College record: 16-13

Hasn’t even finished his 3 season and he already has the same number of 9 win seasons as Sarkisian.