CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

I have no idea why Riley would ever entertain leaving ou. He's king there and has nothing to prove. And it isn't like ou can't recruit. I guess if he just wants to live in Baton Rouge? I mean, there is little upside potential to me for him to leave. He gets carte blanche and doesn't really have to answer to anyone. 

I heard there was a beef regarding Riley and others regarding the rattler situation and it royally pissed him off. Then LSU came along and offered big bucks that OU won’t match. It’s one of the easiest (if not the easiest) places in the country to win championships. It barely qualifies as a school and all the money goes to athletics with no hindrances of morality or education. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, pubes said:

I heard there was a beef regarding Riley and others regarding the rattler situation and it royally pissed him off. Then LSU came along and offered big bucks that OU won’t match. It’s one of the easiest (if not the easiest) places in the country to win championships. It barely qualifies as a school and all the money goes to athletics with no hindrances of morality or education. 

Well I don’t think of ou has the high ground for morality or education either. I get what you are saying in regards to sports come first at LSU and they will let anyone go to school there. But I still just don’t see it. Riley has it too good and too comfortable 

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

I have no idea why Riley would ever entertain leaving ou. He's king there and has nothing to prove. And it isn't like ou can't recruit. I guess if he just wants to live in Baton Rouge? I mean, there is little upside potential to me for him to leave. He gets carte blanche and doesn't really have to answer to anyone. 

Reportedly +4.5 mil a year

Better 'croots

Reported beef with OU admin and boosters

More money for better staff

Why would he not go?

Related.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/before-ousting-coach-o-lsu-brass-carefully-avoided-creating-paper-trail

LSU President William Tate and Athletics Director Scott Woodward used lines of communication that are not part of public records in the days leading up to football coach Ed Orgeron’s buyout being announced in October.

The revelation came in a series of WBRZ requests for the communication between the two men around the time of the October 17 ousting of Orgeron amid a tepid football season.

Tate asked for a phone call with Woodward the day before Orgeron was let go – October 16, the day of the Florida game: “Can I call you later?” Tate asked Woodward in a text message at 6:53 p.m., hours after the 11 a.m. kickoff.

“Yes sir,” Woodward replied.  LSU later told WBRZ no phone call record exists from the time period because no publicly-funded or official LSU phones were used.

WBRZ requested phone call records, emails and text messages between Woodward and Tate from the time surrounding Orgeron’s termination.  LSU said Woodward does not have an LSU-issued cell phone.  LSU attorneys said there were no emails pertaining to a request for messages related to Orgeron between two of the highest-ranking people on LSU’s campus.

WBRZ also requested appointment calendars for Woodward and Tate.

Three days before Orgeron was pushed out, Tate and Woodward met for an athletics budget meeting together.  Woodward’s schedule shows specific meetings with Tate three times between August and the October departure of the football coach.

Tate’s schedule is chock-full of meetings nearly every day.  His life is crammed with phone calls, “office time,” luncheons, travel to New Orleans and numerous breakfast meetings.  Details about each day were made available to WBRZ except the afternoon Orgeron was fired.  Unlike days where the calendar listed “telephone call” or “depart for [a location],” meetings on October 16 were redacted.

LSU said it only obstructed “personal entries” from the schedules and did not elaborate. 

Woodward had five meetings or notes obstructed from view.  None were on Oct. 16 or 17.  In fact, Oct. 17 showed zero events for Woodward, although WBRZ interrupted programming for a live news conference with Woodward and Orgeron that evening.  Watch the news conference here.

Text messages obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit show Woodward and Tate would often communicate through public means only to set up what appeared to be a private phone call later.

“I have a quick question when you have a minute,” Woodward texted Tate on Oct. 6.  There was no additional public communication between the men until Oct. 7 when, again, Woodward asked for a minute of Tate’s time.  The next text message entry is three days later.

The week leading up to Orgeron’s firing, Woodward met with three people for dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steak House and reminded Tate he was going: “Dinner Monday 6:30pm Ruth’s Chris,” Woodward messaged.  “Will do!” Tate wrote back.  Woodward’s schedule showed the swanky dinner was with three people labeled only as “DB, CT, CL.”

Records obtained by WBRZ also show Woodward met via Zoom with sports super agents Jimmy Sexton and Mike Levine on September 20, a month before Orgeron was bought out of his contract for nearly $17 million

Sources: Virginia Tech has strong interest in ACC rival

Dave Clawson has emerged as a top target of Virginia Tech AD Whit Babock, sources tell FootballScoop.

ZACH BARNETT

Virginia Tech has strong interest in Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson to be the next head Hokie, sources told FootballScoop on Wednesday.  Clawson is an established and well-traveled head coach, still in the prime of his career at 54 years old.

Now in his 22nd season as a head coach, Clawson's 49-46 career record belies his actual success. He went 0-11 in his first year at Fordham and went 19-6 in his last two seasons. He went 3-8 in his first season at Richmond, in 2004, and had the Spiders in the FCS semifinals by 2007.

After a one year detour as Tennessee's offensive coordinator in 2009, Clawson took the Bowling Green job in 2009 and had the Falcons in the MAC title game by 2013. At Wake Forest, Clawson went 3-9 in his first two seasons and has reached a bowl game all six seasons since.

The 2021 campaign represents his pinnacle thus far. His Demon Deacons are 9-1, ranked No. 10 in the country, and one win shy of clinching their second ACC Atlantic Division championship. 

Clawson's team can end Clemson's run of six straight ACC title games on Clemson's turf this Saturday.

In the event Wake loses Saturday, the Deacons can clinch the division with a win Nov. 27 at Boston College. And though it remains a long shot, Wake Forest has not been eliminated from College Football Playoff contention either. 

Because of that, a deal would not be expected to come together until following the ACC championship game on Dec. 4.

Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock is looking to restore a one-time ACC power that has fallen off in recent years. Virginia Tech played in five of the first seven ACC title games but has appeared only once since 2011. The outgoing Justin Fuente's record over the past two seasons sits at 10-11, at a program that won at least 10 games annually all but twice from 1999 through 2011.

JOHN BRICE

Mississippi State coach Mike Leach says rash firings in college football have 2 roots

Himself fired in 2009 by Texas Tech, Leach says 'People are nuts' and 'mental illness' has the sport turned upside down

College football's Football Bowls Subdivision level still has two weeks left in its regular season, plus conference championship games the first weekend of December and the classic Army-Navy matchup on Dec. 11.

There's quite a bit of football left.

But that isn't stopping the frenzied coaching firing and hiring season from already ramping up throughout the sport. The carousel has been spinning since early-season firings at UConn, USC and Georgia Southern, with the USC opening still vacant.

In sum, there already has been 12 changes atop FBS programs, from both Washington and Washington State to most recently Virginia Tech.

Mississippi State coach Mike Leach, himself once fired amidst some controversy at Texas Tech after the 2009 season, offered his thoughts Wednesday on the dynamic in the sport.

“Because people are nuts,” Leach said on the Southeastern Conference coaches' teleconference when asked about the high turnover-rate in the industry. “First of all, I think things go in trends. General societal mental illness, I think, and I think the other thing that contributes to it, and the same thing has happened with (athletics directors), it's almost like there's been a bounty on A.D.s. Then as a result there's been one on coaches, too.

“I think that, to me, it seems like when people were all stuck at home with COVID (in 2020), they had all this nervous energy, and you saw a bunch of A.D.s and coaches fired that hadn't coached a game for that season. [Like people said] 'Well, we're not doing anything so let's fire somebody.'”

To Leach's point, the 2020 college football coaching carousel started spinning Labor Day weekend with change atop the Southern Miss program, and it did not truly complete its cycle until the final trio of Kansas, Buffalo and Ohio.

The Jayhawks parted with Les Miles amidst residual scandal from Miles' tenure at LSU, and they replaced him with Buffalo's Lance Leipold, who was replaced by Maurice Linguist. Ohio's Frank Solich retired mid-July and replaced on staff by Tim Albin.

Leach pointed to both the Pro Football Hall of Fame – and the cornfields – to illustrate why he believed the trend is a disturbing one.

“I don't think it's productive,” Leach said. “If you're a farmer, and you go out and say, 'I wanna grow corn,' and it grows six inches, and you say, 'Well, it didn't grow fast enough' so yank up it out of the ground ground … There's coach after coach in the NFL Hall of Fame that back in the day if they were held to that standard (of immediately winning), they wouldn't be there.”

Leach indicated technology – specifically, a growing reliance on cell phones to communicate via social media – rather than interpersonal communication was a root cause.

“I think there's probably a number of things,” Leach said. “I haven't thought about this very much till ( a reporter) asked me, I think the addiction to machines is part of it. Then instead of people, one communicating with one another, two, making their decisions based on kind of independent thought, I think a lot of times machines and social media do the thinking for people, and I don't think that's very healthy.”

Leach has his Mississippi State ranked No. 25 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings and has notched wins this season against Auburn, Kentucky, N.C. State and Texas A&M – all teams that are ranked or have been ranked this season.

The Bulldogs close their season with Football Championship Subdivision team Tennessee State on Saturday before hosting rival and CFP No. 12 Ole Miss on Thanksgiving night.

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The reporter is shocked people find ways around FOIA rules? Seriously? You may also find it shocking to learn that businesses don’t use documentable communication methods when discussing sensitive matters. NO WAYYYY

Oh, I'm with you.  What I found laughable about the article was what I bolded:

LSU said Woodward does not have an LSU-issued cell phone.

I mean, they need something more believable, like his phone was getting the screen replaced and at the repair shop, or an iOS update borked it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, JMFP said:

Reportedly +4.5 mil a year

Better 'croots

Reported beef with OU admin and boosters

More money for better staff

Why would he not go?

Mostly cause I don’t believe the “beef” thing, that he won’t end up making more money with a raise and not being anywhere near a hot seat in Norman. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sources: Virginia Tech has strong interest in ACC rival

Dave Clawson has emerged as a top target of Virginia Tech AD Whit Babock, sources tell FootballScoop.

ZACH BARNETT

Virginia Tech has strong interest in Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson to be the next head Hokie, sources told FootballScoop on Wednesday.  Clawson is an established and well-traveled head coach, still in the prime of his career at 54 years old.

Now in his 22nd season as a head coach, Clawson's 49-46 career record belies his actual success. He went 0-11 in his first year at Fordham and went 19-6 in his last two seasons. He went 3-8 in his first season at Richmond, in 2004, and had the Spiders in the FCS semifinals by 2007.

After a one year detour as Tennessee's offensive coordinator in 2009, Clawson took the Bowling Green job in 2009 and had the Falcons in the MAC title game by 2013. At Wake Forest, Clawson went 3-9 in his first two seasons and has reached a bowl game all six seasons since.

The 2021 campaign represents his pinnacle thus far. His Demon Deacons are 9-1, ranked No. 10 in the country, and one win shy of clinching their second ACC Atlantic Division championship. 

Clawson's team can end Clemson's run of six straight ACC title games on Clemson's turf this Saturday.

In the event Wake loses Saturday, the Deacons can clinch the division with a win Nov. 27 at Boston College. And though it remains a long shot, Wake Forest has not been eliminated from College Football Playoff contention either. 

Because of that, a deal would not be expected to come together until following the ACC championship game on Dec. 4.

Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock is looking to restore a one-time ACC power that has fallen off in recent years. Virginia Tech played in five of the first seven ACC title games but has appeared only once since 2011. The outgoing Justin Fuente's record over the past two seasons sits at 10-11, at a program that won at least 10 games annually all but twice from 1999 through 2011.

I thought VaTech was a good fit for Elko. If they take Clawson, Wake might be even more, he was DC there and it would be a good first P5 job. 

14 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If every there was year to make a run at Dabo, this would be the year (assuming you think he can still recruit/coach)

adding... we're only a month away from early signing day, dominos are going to need to start falling soon for many of these schools so others know who is still available since they will create new openings as well

14 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I really want Elliott to move on while he still has a good reputation and Venebles to get a job like VaTech.  Then see how Dabo does.  It could be a swift, swit decline.

Dabo is addicted to sniffing his own farts right now. He's one of the best, but he's going to have to change his recruiting philosophy and also start using the portal or the run is over. 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, GTX Horn said:

What’s the allure of going to LSU for Lincoln Riley? More money? Built in recruiting advantage? I mean, he’s been able to recruit solid classes at OU and has his system rolling now. It’s not a Jimbo at FSU situation where the program is rapidly deteriorating. It just doesn’t make sense to me unless he thinks OU won’t be able to compete in the SEC and will turn into Arkansas. If he leaves, I’d be very interested in seeing who OU goes after. Hopefully not Aranda.

The money is one thing, but I also think OU becomes a team that averages 2-3 losses a year depending on scheduling. They’ll have 1 out of 5 years where they have a special year and make the championship game and compete on a national stage. At LSU they have the ability to cut that from 1/5 to 1/2-3 depending on how the schedules work out. He doesn’t need to leave the state to recruit and he is getting paid huge dollars. 

That being said, OU and UT are moving to the SEC for money. Which means they’ll have more of it. If they get $40M+ more a year then carving off 5M more for the coach really isn’t a problem. The head football coaches at OU are really the reason why the athletic department even has the opportunity to get the SEC money. If OU didn’t match LSU I would be absolutely shocked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nobody in the ACC can challenge them.  Not in their present state.

Their present state may not even make the conference championship game. Sure, it's only one year but one year easily becomes two, then three, then before long you realize the run ended a while back.

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh, I'm with you.  What I found laughable about the article was what I bolded:

I mean, they need something more believable, like his phone was getting the screen replaced and at the repair shop, or an iOS update borked it.  

Why is that not believable?  He probably doesn’t have one for this very situation. I don’t know his salary off hand but I bet he can afford a phone and unlimited data plan. 

17 hours ago, Blotto said:

OU should be able to match whatever LSU scrapes together. And for equal money, Riley may just stay where he's at where he's dialed in. Coach O went from national championship to looking for work in 2 years, not sure that would be so appealing to Riley. 

assuming money is equal, the stability at OU vs LSU has to be a huge factor.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why is that not believable?  He probably doesn’t have one for this very situation. I don’t know his salary off hand but I bet he can afford a phone and unlimited data plan. 

They don't give him a phone, they give him a "phone allowance" of a couple of $K/month.

So it's not LSU property, therefore not subject to FOIA.

Edited by Beau Vine

55 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's unbelievable for this reason:  if he ever conducted a scrap of school business on his personal device and it's proven, that device now open to discovery.  Full stop.  You don't want to conduct any business on a personal phone, and he probably did.  

Yes, he can easily afford whatever a cell and the data plan is.  That's not the point.  It's utterly laughable, if true, that the AD at LSU does not have a school device that can be backed up, locked down, and if ever requested under subpoena, can be handed over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's unbelievable for this reason:  if he ever conducted a scrap of school business on his personal device and it's proven, that device now open to discovery.  Full stop.  You don't want to conduct any business on a personal phone, and he probably did.  

Yes, he can easily afford whatever a cell and the data plan is.  That's not the point.  It's utterly laughable, if true, that the AD at LSU does not have a school device that can be backed up, locked down, and if ever requested under subpoena, can be handed over. 

What you are calling unbelievable others are calling prudent, smart or savvy. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

If OU didn’t match LSU I would be absolutely shocked. 

My ou-grad friend said the university is in debt to the tune of 2 billion dollars and that it would be difficult to match a big offer. I said boosters would pay the money anyway, so who cares? Also I can't find a source online for this 2 billion dollar debt. FWIW, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My ou-grad friend said the university is in debt to the tune of 2 billion dollars and that it would be difficult to match a big offer. I said boosters would pay the money anyway, so who cares? Also I can't find a source online for this 2 billion dollar debt. FWIW, I guess.

I'm not sure there's enough double-wide equity to cover that from the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

LSU has to be in worse financial shape than OU.  

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lulz. Dabo being toast after (thus far) a three loss season and six straight years of CFP is the definition of a hot take. Mike Leach is very right about college football fan and booster IQ. 

The inability to comprehend and discuss a possibility, however large the improbability, is the mark of a low IQ. Nobody said Dabo is toast. Your reading comprehension is as bad as your mental flexibility.

Paul Petrino will not return as the head coach at Idaho, sources told FootballScoop on Friday. 

Petrino's Vandals are 3-7 heading into their season finale at Idaho State. One of the three wins came against Division II Simon Fraser.

Petrino has been the head coach at Idaho since 2013, taking over for Robb Akey after one season as his brother Bobby's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Arkansas

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't know. New Orleans was crushing it in like, the 1880s.

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cotton_Centennial

The U.S. Congress lent $1 million to the fair's directors and gave $300,000 for the construction of a large U.S. Government & State Exhibits Hall on the site.[1] However, the planning and construction of the fair was marked by corruption and scandals, and state treasurer Edward A. Burke absconded abroad with some $1,777,000 dollars of state money including most of the fair's budget.[2] 

OU'S debt appears to be a little over $1 billion. 

As of Sept. 30, 2021, OU had $854 million in parity GRB's outstanding, and the series 2021 issuance will bring that total to $1.011 billion. MADS is measured at $81.5 million in 2024, and debt service is front-loaded with over 60% amortization by 2035. The series 2021 issuance will extend maturity to fiscal year 2052.

Outstanding OU debt at June 30, 2021 was $967 million, which includes parity GRBs ($890 million, including premium and current portion), capital leases ($41 million), and other notes. 

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-downgrades-university-of-oklahoma-to-a-outlook-to-stable-29-10-2021

LSU is around $700M

LSU has a total $700 million in long-term debt, including auxiliary and lease obligations, and a meaningful pension obligation for a total near $1.9 billion in adjusted debt.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-rates-lsu-ser-2022-auxiliary-bonds-a-outlook-stable-18-11-2021

Presumably UT Austin's debt would be a portion of the UT System debt, which not surprisingly is much larger than OK and LSU. It gets muddy because even the PUF issues it's own debt. 

Consequently, UTS's adjusted debt (direct debt plus adjusted NPL of $7.6 billion plus an adjustment for operating lease expense) was $19.9 billion at FYE 2020. AF to adjusted debt for UTS of 97% remains sound and consistent with the rating category through a significant stress scenario.

Outstanding debt at FYE 2020 was $11.4 billion, a mix of RFS and PUF debt and CP, capital leases, and notes

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-rates-univ-of-texas-system-ser-2021a-rfs-bonds-aaa-affirms-f1-short-term-rating-25-03-2021

Debt and revenue shortfalls are two separate things which appear to be conflated in some of the posts above.  The latter will often require an organization to take on more of the former, to fund operations. But operations that turn a profit will also utilize debt. University endowment is an entirely different consideration as well. 

UT System debt is rated AAA vs OU and LSU being rated A. Presumably our credit worthiness is  because we don't rely on corndogs or dick farms to back our debt. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OU is not $2B in debt.  Jeez.

LSU might be one of the most broke ass schools in the country.  

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/education/article_6df3cf30-f47c-11ea-80b2-03452b7aaf86.html

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

8 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Louisiana has never been a well run state.  

Y'all know that just because the state and school are broke as fuck doesn't mean the LSU athletic program is?

1 hour ago, tx ind said:

Lot of smoke that TCU grabbed Dykes and not waiting on Napier.

Kinda funny to me if true... just never thought Dykes would end up at tcu to replace "Gare".

If this happens, I won't be surprised to see tcu searching for another new head coach by 2024 or 2025... 

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny to me if true... just never thought Dykes would end up at tcu to replace "Gare".

If this happens, I won't be surprised to see tcu searching for another new head coach by 2024 or 2025...

Nah. He’s a Texan and tcu is an upgrade.  So unless Texas or aggy comes calling he’s staying until he gets fired

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nah. He’s a Texan and tcu is an upgrade.  So unless Texas or aggy comes calling he’s staying until he gets fired

Yeah that's my point -- if he gets the tcu job I think Dykes gets fired by end of 2025... 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1