CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

8 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Herman is going to end up some where like UNT, FIU, Akron, or Troy where his schtick will play because they are dying to win. His teams will do OK and cause some upsets and be a nuisance to whatever major state school is near by. Then someone will hire him at a large state school and his attitude and ineptitude will wear thin on the boosters, players, and AD and the cycle will continue.

Bo Pelini 2.0

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, listen, my oldest went to Troy and while we loved it for him and we were very impressed with every interaction we had there - much better than effing Auburn - Troy as a town is……not great.

And then the closest “big city” is Montgomery???

giphy.gif

She’d HATE it.

As long as there is a Guthrie’s or a Milo’s I’d be set

Too small for a Guthrie’s or a Milo’s.

It’s just under two hours to the 30A beaches so that’s nice but someone used to places like Houston and Austin? I don’t know, man.

Now, do Tom and Michelle like being the ginormous fish in a small pond? Would they enjoy building a 10,000 square foot house on hundreds of beautiful acres for a couple million?

They might like that.

But if the rumors of Tom fussing around with coeds at campus bars is true, he’s likely to get in more trouble somewhere like Troy because that scene is the totality of the local nightlife.

EVERYTHING is geared towards the students. Not much for grown folks.

And everyone would know his business in about two weeks. Much harder to keep your shit quiet in a small town; especially if you’re the ostensible big swinging dick in said small town.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Eh it’s not a shithole. It’s safe and has a thriving cool little artsy downtown.

But it’s TINY. It’s got around 19,000 people. The 10,000 on campus augment what a town that size offers.

Without the university, it’s just another Elba, Eutaw, or Loachapoka. A tiny, safe, boring town in Alabama that isn’t even big enough for a Target.

Thanks for the clarification!  I was just reflecting on my "recent" pass through Montgomery.  I'll concede that I did not tour the entire town.  The places I did see looked like they had not been improved or maintained in quite some time.

15 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

Seems like it was always going to be Sonny...all those other names (ex: Deion) were just for publicity. They may have had an informal meeting but that's it. It's a boring hire but there's probably not much that TCU could do. Too many better jobs available than TCU during this cycle. 

I don't think I have ever seen so many high profile jobs open up in up in the same year.  It's a good time to be a head coaching candidate.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

I don't think I have ever seen so many high profile jobs open up in up in the same year.  It's a good time to be a head coaching candidate.

yep.. still can't believe Tucker got that extension for that amount of money..  BiG conference is printing out money and they are paying coaches very handsomely 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe if the shitty QB didn't throw it two yards behind the receiver they would have gotten the call.

I think we'll have to disagree. The receiver stops, and the DB runs into him and pushes his body. The ball hits the DB on the head, which is where the receiver stopped. It should have been called as pass interference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, golfclap said:

Brady Hoke is killing it at SDSU and Frank Solich had a really good career at Ohio post-Nebraska. 

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rich Rod was doing fine at Arizona, much better than any other coach since Dick Tomey, until he had an affair with his secretary and got popped with a lawsuit. 

I guess you can say that Lane Kiffin has restarted his career. 

Orgeron fits this category, strictly speaking.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, and it might even take you out of the "blue blood" category if you took these two coaches out of the equation but....

If you believe UT is a blue blood without DKR and Mack, and remove them from the record book at UT, Herman is right in line with what UT historically does from a winning percentage standpoint.  If you leave DKR in the equation Herman is only 3% less on his win% than what UT historically has done.  

In the basketball world we don't believe that a blue blood can be created, especially not after the turn of the century.  So I'd argue that Herman might have failed to be what you wanted him to be but he isn't a failure in the classical sense of UT football.  Herman will end up with a job at some point (maybe he should look at SMU) and he will do just fine... Unless he goes full Sumlin.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rich Rod was doing fine at Arizona, much better than any other coach since Dick Tomey, until he had an affair with his secretary and got popped with a lawsuit. 

I guess you can say that Lane Kiffin has restarted his career. 

I guess Rich Rod did OK at AZ but I wouldn't call it a success.  Kiffen may have a shot because he was so young when he got dumped by the blueblood.

Had to look up Rich Rod: he's the OC at ULM...uh oh.

Edited by dcar00

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I guess Rich Rod did OK at AZ but I wouldn't call it a success.  Kiffen may have a shot because he was so young when he got dumped by the blueblood.

Arizona has had three ten win seasons in their history of playing 11-man football. One of them came under Rich Rod, the other two under Dick Tomey, who was there 14 years. 8-5 and occasional ten win seasons is the best Arizona has ever done, so I will call it a success. 

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

If you believe UT is a blue blood without DKR and Mack, and remove them from the record book at UT, Herman is right in line with what UT historically does from a winning percentage standpoint.  If you leave DKR in the equation Herman is only 3% less on his win% than what UT historically has done.  

I'm pretty certain if you remove 36 of the most successful seasons, many of the so-called "blue bloods" don't look so blue-bloody anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I know you guys don't want to hear this, and it might even take you out of the "blue blood" category if you took these two coaches out of the equation but....

In the basketball world we don't believe that a blue blood can be created, especially not after the turn of the century.  So I'd argue that Herman might have failed to be what you wanted him to be but he isn't a failure in the classical sense of UT football.  Herman will end up with a job at some point (maybe he should look at SMU) and he will do just fine... Unless he goes full Sumlin.

Funny enough, if I take Bryant and Saban out of Bama's historical record, their winning percentage is only slightly higher than Hermans. Whats your point? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

Can somebody explain to me why Sonny Dykes would leave SMU for TCU? Yes, it's a move to the Big 12 but it won't really be the Big 12 once Texas and Oklahoma leave for the SEC in a year or two. Is it money-driven? I'm sure SMU is getting tired of people leaving for bigger jobs so I think the motivation would be to match any kind of offer TCU could make. They like Dykes and surely don't want to lose him to the Frogs for optics alone.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Can somebody explain to me why Sonny Dykes would leave SMU for TCU? Yes, it's a move to the Big 12 but it won't really be the Big 12 once Texas and Oklahoma leave for the SEC in a year or two. Is it money-driven? I'm sure SMU is getting tired of people leaving for bigger jobs so I think the motivation would be to match any kind of offer TCU could make. They like Dykes and surely don't want to lose him to the Frogs for optics alone.

Even a watered down Big 12 is better than what SMU is in?  

Unrelated; Jerry Kill to New Mexico State.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I know you guys hate us left behinds and everything, but the new Big XII is still far superior to the AAC, especially with what they are adding. 

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Even a watered down Big 12 is better than what SMU is in?  

Unrelated; Jerry Kill to New Mexico State.

Maybe. But he's winning at a good clip and has a good thing going. He's in position to really bend SMU over the table and set up generational wealth. If he goes over to TCU and face-plants, he's looking for a new job in 3-5 years. I guess I'm suffering from recency bias seeing Chad Morris leave SMU for a bigger, better deal and now he's coaching Allen High. I think Dykes is a better coach than Morris by a long shot, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I know you guys hate us left behinds and everything, but the new Big XII is still far superior to the AAC, especially with what they are adding. 

Conference strength aside, I think it reeks of being a mostly-lateral move unless they're going to double what he's making -- or could make -- at SMU. There is zero reason (in my mind anyway) that SMU can't get to TCU's level of the last decade-plus with the right coach. Dykes is the best they've had since the Pony Express days.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah - this AAC iteration is dogshit. I can't see SMU staying in a conference like this long term and think there will be more realignment but Sonny may not want to wait around for that and it isn't a guarantee. 

I don't think it's quite lateral but it's pretty marginal in a lot of ways.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Conference strength aside, I think it reeks of being a mostly-lateral move unless they're going to double what he's making -- or could make -- at SMU. There is zero reason (in my mind anyway) that SMU can't get to TCU's level of the last decade-plus with the right coach. Dykes is the best they've had since the Pony Express days.

he's gonna get paid more but if he wins even a watered down Big 12 with 0 or 1 losss he has a chance at an expanded playoff and also a chance at a bigger gig.  I'm sure that is the only things he cares about. at SMU he gets neither.

If it’s really lateral, then you do it for a bunch less than double. I want to give you a twenty percent raise and your new office is in Ft. Worth instead of Dallas, how does that sound? Any one of us would do it at our salaries. Let alone 260,000 dollars a year, which is 20 percent of 1.3 million. 

This shit ain’t play money. And I also think TCU has more infrastructure in place to succeed. 

SMU was really hurt by the latest reshuffling.  The AAC was a good conference, but taking UH, UCF and Cincinnati away and adding Charlotte, UNT, FAU, Rice, UAB and UTSA is a huge step down.

Regarding Sonny, after the Cal move, I think he genuinely appreciates the situation he's had at SMU.  One of those guys who realized the grass isn't always greener and likes living in DFW making $3 million a year.  But SMU really dropped the ball on facilities and getting him a new contract prior to now.  And the one job opens that is basically SMU, but with more financial support, better facilities and a better conference....

Look for SMU to hire Rhett Lashlee and move quickly on it.

Also, Bob Bowlsby is going to cream his pants if Okie State and Cincinnati both make the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If it’s really lateral, then you do it for a bunch less than double. I want to give you a twenty percent raise and your new office is in Ft. Worth instead of Dallas, how does that sound? Any one of us would do it at our salaries. Let alone 260,000 dollars a year, which is 20 percent of 1.3 million. 

This shit ain’t play money. And I also think TCU has more infrastructure in place to succeed. 

Yes, but I think he's to a point where he calls ALL the shots at SMU. I'm sure he could get a 10-year contract out of them at this point. Sonny's job security is much, much stronger at SMU than starting anew at TCU. Can the Frogs win post-GP? Who knows?

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

definitely far superior.  It is going to be interesting if the talking heads start saying P4.

52 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

As much as I hate to agree with you of all people, outside of DKR, Mack and Akers, which encompass 46 out of the 129 seasons of football, Texas is pretty fucking average.  35% of it's history is "elite" and that's those 3 coaches.  Throw in Bible's 10 years and that's still only 43% of our history is blue-blood level.

4 out of 31 coaches were here 10+ years and had success.  Otherwise, 5 or less years and a .600 WP is truly our standard. 

The sooner more fans realize that, the easier it is to handle the crappy seasons and enjoy the 10+ win ones. 

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Dude, due to the lossses of Cincinnati, UCF, and UH the AAC leftovers conference that SMU is stuck in is turning into a wasteland... 

Who wants to be stuck as the smu king of the dipshits ??

ac4d158f7bda7c520b67fa4bef46eb74.jpg

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

definitely far superior.  It is going to be interesting if the talking heads start saying P4.

More like P3

SEC, B1G and ACC - 21 CFP appearances, 20-14 record, 7 championships.  All 3 have had multiple schools appear (SEC and ACC - 3 and B1G - 2)

The rest of the "P5?" 6 appearances, 1-6 record, no championships and only 3 teams (OU, Washington, Oregon). 

It's been a P3 for a while.  Pac 12 and Big 12-4+2 just getting the scraps.  Once OU and Texas are in the SEC, the Big 12 has no active teams that have been to the CFP.  

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

More like P3

SEC, B1G and ACC - 21 CFP appearances, 20-14 record, 7 championships.  All 3 have had multiple schools appear (SEC and ACC - 3 and B1G - 2)

The rest of the "P5?" 6 appearances, 1-6 record, no championships and only 3 teams (OU, Washington, Oregon). 

It's been a P3 for a while.  Pac 12 and Big 12-4+2 just getting the scraps

eh PAC 12 is never gonna get left out.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

More like P3

It's been a P3 for a while.  Pac 12 and Big 12-4+2 just getting the scraps.  Once OU and Texas are in the SEC, the Big 12 has no active teams that have been to the CFP.  

I was completely blanking on that third ACC team then remembered that Notre Dame technically was in the ACC last year. 

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As much as I hate to agree with you of all people, outside of DKR, Mack and Akers, which encompass 46 out of the 129 seasons of football, Texas is pretty fucking average.  35% of it's history is "elite" and that's those 3 coaches.  Throw in Bible's 10 years and that's still only 43% of our history is blue-blood level.

4 out of 31 coaches were here 10+ years and had success.  Otherwise, 5 or less years and a .600 WP is truly our standard. 

The sooner more fans realize that, the easier it is to handle the crappy seasons and enjoy the 10+ win ones. 

There are really only a couple of programs that aren't like that if you remove the 2-3 most successful coaches from a school's history.

Texas is 7th in all-time SRS at College Football Reference among the traditional schools who still play football. We are behind Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, Michigan and Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure he could get a 10-year contract out of them at this point.

Absolutely not. 

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

But SMU really dropped the ball on facilities and getting him a new contract prior to now.  And the one job opens that is basically SMU, but with more financial support, better facilities and a better conference....

I don't think TCU has more financial support. They have more revenue and better fan support but less booster money. Maybe a wash. 

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The new big 12 will be immediately better than the Pac and probably better top to bottom than the ACC, even if Clemson returns to form. The question will be if the money can catch up. But competitively it’s still P5, with the understanding that SEC and Big 10 are the best of them by a decent margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The new big 12 will be immediately better than the Pac and probably better top to bottom than the ACC, even if Clemson returns to form. The question will be if the money can catch up. But competitively it’s still P5, with the understanding that SEC and Big 10 are the best of them by a decent margin.

I wouldn't argue play on the field.  networks/media on the other hand.  PAC12 still has huge markets.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I wouldn't argue play on the field.  networks/media on the other hand.  PAC12 still has huge markets.

The Big XII markets are smaller but with a much higher “give a shit” margin. Same as the sec has small populations but like 90% give a shit, maybe 99% in Alabama which isn’t a big population center but valuable as fuck.

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is where I’m at with KU. We are going to be the winningest program of all time by the end of the year in basketball. But that is just one of about 3 factors that make us a blue blood. The other two; James Naismith (who actually invented the game in Massachusetts and not at KU) is arguably one and phog Allen (the father of basketball coaching) is the other. I’d argue we have 2 reasons we are a blue blood. All time wins (not by percentage) and Phog. Now you start comparing yourself against other blue bloods and we don’t stack up with only 3 NCAA titles. It’s the reason I tell myself every year that only 1 team wins it’s last game and that the tourney is a crapshoot. 
At the end of the day, KU basketball and UT football are reasonably similar in regard to comparing ourselves with other blue bloods.