CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

12 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

@Sbbruin what’s the read on the Kelly situation? Are y’all expecting him to be fired after this season?

Any loss in the next 2- SC or Cal, and I think it’s done.  If he wins out, may make it a tougher decision.  He’s going into his last year of his deal without an extension, and he hasn’t earned one.  I’d like to see him gone, BUT, depends on who we can get.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Any loss in the next 2- SC or Cal, and I think it’s done.  If he wins out, may make it a tougher decision.  He’s going into his last year of his deal without an extension, and he hasn’t earned one.  I’d like to see him gone, BUT, depends on who we can get.

One of these days UCLA is going wreck shop. I have no idea how it hasn't happened already.

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One of these days UCLA is going wreck shop. I have no idea how it hasn't happened already.

I have been waiting decades.  Closest we got was ‘98.  One play away from playing for the title.  And then wandering the desert for 20+ years

OU shopping for a HC?

I just had a name come across my desk and it is too promising for me not to share. I can tell you that this is a very exciting opportunity - he is a national-championship-winning coordinator that has parlayed his talents into a head coaching role while also calling the plays for an offense featuring both the passing and receiving TD leaders in his conference. He is on the right side of 50 with absolutely nowhere to go but up and hasn't touched a drop of booze in years. I would seriously urge you to act on this opportunity before it is too late - as he may never lose another game.

478195010_images(7).jpeg.92a73aa12ef1983fe9a445d5ffef4c8b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Holy shit this is amazing.

Davis’ success at FIU was more impressive, considering the challenges he faced at the school from his administration.

Davis said he was allowed to only offer one-year contracts to assistants, hampering his ability to hire coaches who could get multi-year deals elsewhere.

When Davis arrived in 2017, he found out all the shoulder pads were at least 10 years old. The school wouldn’t provide the money to purchase new shoulder pads, but an assistant coach had a contact at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs’ program had shoulder pads that were five years old, but they were replacing them, so Mississippi State gave FIU its shoulder pads at no cost.

“They were five years old,” Davis said. “But they were new to us.”

In today’s college football world, where some schools get new uniform combos literally every game, FIU is using uniforms that are nine years old, Davis said.

Davis also said his coaching staff was not allowed to go on the road recruiting the past two years because of the school’s financial reasons and COVID-19.

In early October, the school ultimately undercut Davis. After five games, FIU posted on the school’s official website and also the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) website an opening for the head coaching position.

The school said FIU’s university website lists job postings for each head coach and assistant in every sport even when there are no openings but did not address the AFCA posting.

“This year has been a nightmare,” Davis said. “You can imagine the players’ reaction when a head coach’s job was posted online. The administration has been sabotaging the program.

“Their decisions to post the job has resulted in a major negative impact on the football program and our ability to recruit and retain players.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

^ That FIU shit is crazy!! 👀

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

UCLA buys basketball players. The basketball roster is 13 players, and maybe a few are getting minimum wage.

The football roster is 85 + up to 20 bought walk ons. That is an insane bill to pay for talent. Especially when that talent plays out in Pasadena and requires a 5-6 hour commitment on Saturdays in the fall. 

The basketball games are on campus just past the hospital/medical complex. Walking from your doctors office to games, or driving over from your agency in Beverly Hills, or up from the Wasserman offices on the south side of Wilshire Blvd from Westwood Village is the way the Bruin BMDs like to check out their bought players.

2 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

What Gundy's done at OSU is miraculous. 

Yup, and his salary isn't even in the same stratosphere as what aggy is stupidly throwing at jimbo. He sounds happier with the new AD and president, I think he'll retire here and stop flirting since his contract is perpetually a 5-year deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup, and his salary isn't even in the same stratosphere as what aggy is stupidly throwing at jimbo. He sounds happier with the new AD and president, I think he'll retire here and stop flirting since his contract is perpetually a 5-year deal.

Yeah IIRC Gundy's biggest gripe was contract length after Mike Holder gave that ridiculous contract to Travis Ford...

21 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Lake will exit Washington with just a 7-6 record. Washington won the Pac-12 North with a 3-1 mark last season, although they did not play for the Pac-12 championship or in a bowl game. This year's team went 4-5 under his direction, including a loss to Montana to open the season. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/washington-to-fire-jimmy-lake

Edited by LTtxfan

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why can't schools like this just accept FCS? 

One of the things I wish College Football would steal from English football (soccer) is the idea of relegation. 

The bottom schools drop from P5 to G5 to Other FBS to FCS.

Good by Kansas and Vanderbilt.

...of course, that means Texas would probably be playing in the Mid-America Conference right now, so maybe that's not such a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

^ That FIU shit is crazy!! 👀

UCLA buys basketball players. The basketball roster is 13 players, and maybe a few are getting minimum wage.

The football roster is 85 + up to 20 bought walk ons. That is an insane bill to pay for talent. Especially when that talent plays out in Pasadena and requires a 5-6 hour commitment on Saturdays in the fall. 

The basketball games are on campus just past the hospital/medical complex. Walking from your doctors office to games, or driving over from your agency in Beverly Hills, or up from the Wasserman offices on the south side of Wilshire Blvd from Westwood Village is the way the Bruin BMDs like to check out their bought players.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Lake will exit Washington with just a 7-6 record. Washington won the Pac-12 North with a 3-1 mark last season, although they did not play for the Pac-12 championship or in a bowl game. This year's team went 4-5 under his direction, including a loss to Montana to open the season. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/washington-to-fire-jimmy-lake

Our $9.95ers are hearing Justin Wilcox at Cal is the leader in the clubhouse to take over at UW.  Despite Cal's shittiness, Wilcox is a good coach, and could do really well there.

38 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Our $9.95ers are hearing Justin Wilcox at Cal is the leader in the clubhouse to take over at UW.  Despite Cal's shittiness, Wilcox is a good coach, and could do really well there.

That's a lot of the talk from the $9.95-ers here as well. It is not particularly popular, although it would be better than some other options.

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Baylor's bound to hire a dud soon enough. I want to see that program back to the cellar. They shouldn't be allowed to have major athletics. 

I think it'll be when Mack Rhodes leaves. He's done a good job of finding good candidates that fit at BU and he's a long way from the sheet music salesman of the 90s that we hired as AD. Of course Aranda is still winning with Rhule's players so maybe he can't evaluate talent well?