CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy this isn't alreadt on this thread... old news, but listening to Kstate $9.95ers they are stunned he chose to go to aggy, and  "it's all about the Benjamins"

---------------------------------------------

....Klein will bring an emphasis on the run game with him to College Station. K-State finished 15th nationally in rushing each of his two seasons running the Wildcats' offense; Texas A&M finished 79th and 89th over the same time period.

The quarterback run game was a major part of Klein's offense at K-State. Adrian Martinez and Will Howard combined for 146 rushes en route to the 2022 Big 12 championship, and this season Howard and Avery Johnson ran the ball a combined 126 times. 

Whether that continues with Conner Weigman, or whether Weigman and/or A&M seek different alternatives, will be a story to watch in the coming days.

I agree re: watching as things unfold. Speculate that Weigman may be contemplating his future ( injury recovery, team chaos) and the staff leaning in to using Jaylen Henderson (soph) as he's more mobile and fits that type of offense.

The program is bringing in midwestern meat and potatoes in an effort to create a hot dish but from my view in the potluck line, it's looking like a hot mess. Guess we'll see how it goes.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

_iaz to be next Duke HC.

Report: Duke finalizing deal to hire Penn State DC _iaz as head coach
https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2787168

NO D!  Lulz.

Penn State fans seem to love him, and that D was pretty good this year.  Thing with Diaz is that (1) historically, he gets figured out and can't adjust, and (2) his schemes are so fucking complicated no one can play instinctually.  I think he's evolved some, and so long as he hires a DC and doesn't play both roles, it's not a bad hire, and Duke wasn't going to make a massive splash hire.  As a Duke fan, I'm not unhappy, and I also don't have to worry my coach is going to have a coronary.

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Penn State fans seem to love him, and that D was pretty good this year.  Thing with Diaz is that (1) historically, he gets figured out and can't adjust, and (2) his schemes are so fucking complicated no one can play instinctually.  I think he's evolved some, and so long as he hires a DC and doesn't play both roles, it's not a bad hire, and Duke wasn't going to make a massive splash hire.  As a Duke fan, I'm not unhappy, and I also don't have to worry my coach is going to have a coronary.

They didn't play anyone good, and when they did, they got beat.

_iaz is Horrific, but you'll soon find that out in excruciating detail for yourself.

6 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

My sweet summer child 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

Serious (well as serious as one can be on this board asking about Manny) - did he play both roles at Miami?

On 12/7/2023 at 12:34 PM, John Coctostan said:

That Manny Diaz has managed to make millions of dollars by coaching football will never cease to amaze me.

Diaz seems to do pretty well with a senior-laden defense.  He basically runs in four-year cycles from shockingly bad to acceptable to good.

Big 10 also helps

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Too fucking soon, you asshole. Too fucking soon. 

We've  been through some shit the last decade, lulz. How he ever coached another game as a DC is beyond me. He should have been permanently banned from the profession after that shitshow. Good luck with that one, Duke. 

image.png

Edited by Blotto

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.png.65a019736eb5b1365e9bed0673e0c0cf.png

We've  been through some shit the last decade, lulz. How he ever coached another game as a DC is beyond me. He should have been permanently banned from the profession after that shitshow. Good luck with that one, Duke. 

image.png

We’ve only allowed 1,375 rushing yards this year in 13 games. 😆 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, LTtxfan said:

Crazy this isn't alreadt on this thread... old news, but listening to Kstate $9.95ers they are stunned he chose to go to aggy, and  "it's all about the Benjamins"

---------------------------------------------

Reports: Texas A&M to hire Collin Klein as offensive coordinator

After turning down overtures from Notre Dame and Penn State, Collin Klein is leaving his alma mater to work for Mike Elko.

ZACH BARNETT     9 HOURS AGO

Texas A&M is set to hire Collin Klein as its new offensive coordinator, according to reports out of both College Station and Manhattan on Wednesday.

The move is a significant one for Mike Elko, pulling Klein from his alma mater after he previously turned down overtures from Penn State and Notre Dame.

"The Lord really put it on my heart that there was still work to do here," Klein said after turning down the Irish last year. "My players and knowing that my mission here isn’t done and my guys were really the two things that made me at peace with knowing I was supposed to be here.”

Klein was the Big 12 Athlete of the Year in 2012 -- he came in third to Johnny Manziel in that season's Heisman Trophy voting -- and entered coaching in 2014 as a GA at his alma mater. He began coaching quarterbacks at Northern Iowa in 2016, then returned to Manhattan as QBs coach the following year. 

Klein will bring an emphasis on the run game with him to College Station. K-State finished 15th nationally in rushing each of his two seasons running the Wildcats' offense; Texas A&M finished 79th and 89th over the same time period.

The quarterback run game was a major part of Klein's offense at K-State. Adrian Martinez and Will Howard combined for 146 rushes en route to the 2022 Big 12 championship, and this season Howard and Avery Johnson ran the ball a combined 126 times. 

Whether that continues with Conner Weigman, or whether Weigman and/or A&M seek different alternatives, will be a story to watch in the coming days.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that someone can so publicly cite "the Lord" as the impetus behind their decision making, and then make a completely opposite decision a few days later.  Perhaps Benjamin Franklin is his personal lord and savior.

Sources: Duke interim head coach Trooper Taylor expected to join Mike Elko at Texas A&M

Taylor has deep Texas, SEC ties 

Screenshot_20231212-100948_kindlephoto-5671185.png.fd57e5eee2af325331ddcb30594d52b6.png

Screenshot_20231212-101429_kindlephoto-5951461.png.caf7c835b891d299df8013202cb105b9.png

JOHN BRICE       14 HOURS AGO

Trooper Taylor was a finalist to replace Mike Elko as Duke's head coach, and he's remained in Durham, N.C., as the Blue Devils' interim leader in their bowl preparations.

But Taylor, a Cuero, Texas, native, is set to be reunited with Elko, several sources tell FootballScoop.

Elko on Sunday night, sources shared with FootballScoop, informed incumbent Aggies running backs coach Marquel Blackwell that he intended to formally add Taylor into the Texas A&M staff later this month.

Blackwell had just arrived in College Station, Texas, after the 2022 season, when then-Aggies head man Jimbo Fisher pried Blackwell away from SEC Western Division rivals Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss.

No stranger to the Lone Star State or the SEC, Taylor played collegiately at Baylor and logged previous coaching stops under Phillip Fulmer at the University of Tennessee and then was hired by former Duke head coach David Cutcliffe to serve multiple roles for the Blue Devils.

Taylor additionally served under Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State, and he worked at Auburn under Gene Chizik.

Long regarded as one of the sport's top recruiters, Taylor was honored by Rivals.com at both Auburn and Tennessee as among college football's top 25 recruiters. 

Sources tell FootballScoop Taylor is currently planning to remain with Duke through their bowl game vs Troy on the 23rd. 

Penn State reportedly targeting former Big Ten head coach for defensive coordinator role

DOUG SAMUELS  22 HOURS AGO

After losing defensive coordinator Manny Diaz Duke as the Blue Devils new head coach, James Franklin is reportedly targeting a former Big Ten head coach to fill the vacancy.

Former Indiana head coach Tom Allen is the top candidate for the job, multiple reports share today.  Pete Thamel adds a deal is being finalized and is expected to come together in the next few days.

He put together back-to-back impressive seasons in 2019 and 2020, finishing 8-5 and then 6-2, taking the program to back-to-back bowl games.

However, the years that followed saw dips to 2-10, 4-8 and 3-9 before he was dismissed at the end of the 2023 season.

Allen is a former Indiana high school coach at storied Ben Davis high school, and he's gone on to coordinate defenses at Lambuth, Drake and South Florida. He's also spent time in major college football as an assistant at Arkansas State and Ole Miss, where he coordinated the Rebels special teams unit from 2012-14.

He took over the Hoosiers defense in 2016, and was elevated to interim head coach for their Foster Farms bowl game before shedding the interim title and leading the Hoosiers for the next seven seasons.

Grambling set to hire Mickey Joseph as next head coach, source says

Story by Adam Rittenberg  • 16h

Grambling is set to hire Mickey Joseph, a Louisiana native and former assistant at the school, as its next head coach, a source told ESPN.

Joseph, 55, will be introduced at a news conference Monday morning. He most recently served as a Nebraska assistant and became the Huskers' interim coach for nine games after Scott Frost's firing early in the 2022 season. In November 2022, Joseph was arrested at his home in Lincoln and charged with felony assault by strangulation or suffocation following an argument with his wife. Nebraska cut ties with him in December 2022.

In April, the assault charges against Joseph were dropped after the woman who lodged the complaint refused to testify. Joseph and his wife are separated and co-parenting their children, according to a source.

He will replace Hue Jackson, the former NFL coach who was fired after only two seasons at Grambling.

Joseph, a Marrero, Louisiana, native, played quarterback for Nebraska and in the CFL before a long coaching career in college and high school. He coached Grambling's wide receivers and special teams in 2014 and 2015 and also made college stops in the state at Nicholls State, Louisiana Tech and LSU, where he coached wide receivers from 2017 to 2021 under coach Ed Orgeron.

Football Scoop first reported Grambling was targeting Joseph for the job and hoped to finalize a deal soon.

Former North Dakota State assistant Tim Polasek is expected to return to Fargo as head coach, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday.

ZACH BARNETT

DEC 17, 2023

Former North Dakota State assistant Tim Polasek is expected to return to Fargo as head coach, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday. ESPN first reported the news.

Polasek spent the past three seasons as Wyoming's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, working under legendary NDSU head coach Craig Bohl. 

Polasek coached under Bohl at NDSU from 2006-12, starting as a graduate assistant and rising to become special teams coordinator, tight ends coach and fullbacks coach. His seven seasons contributed to the building of, arguably, the greatest dynasty in college football history. Polasek served as a key assistant on the first two of what would become three straight national championships won under Bohl; he then returned in 2014 as offensive coordinator and running backs coach for NDSU teams that won national titles in '14 and '15, with a semifinal berth in 2016. 

Of the nine national titles won between 2011-12, Polasek was a key assistant and/or coordinator for four of them. 

Now former NDSU head coach Matt Entz accepted a job as USC's assistant head coach for defense and linebackers coach last week. The Bison's season ended Saturday with a double overtime loss to Montana in the FCS semifinals.

Polasek left Fargo a second time after 2016 to coach Iowa's offensive line from 2017-20. He reunited with Bohl as his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 2021-23. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, texifornia said:

I hope he can get behind what they're trying to build there at JMU.

Not limiting himself to a catholic university will help him reach out and touch a lot more young men.

I think this is a stroke of genius on JMU's part.

They shot their shot and got their man.

Sources: Duke interim head coach Trooper Taylor expected to join Mike Elko at Texas A&M
Taylor has deep Texas, SEC ties 
Screenshot_20231212-100948_kindlephoto-5671185.png.fd57e5eee2af325331ddcb30594d52b6.png
Screenshot_20231212-101429_kindlephoto-5951461.png.caf7c835b891d299df8013202cb105b9.png
JOHN BRICE       14 HOURS AGO
Trooper Taylor was a finalist to replace Mike Elko as Duke's head coach, and he's remained in Durham, N.C., as the Blue Devils' interim leader in their bowl preparations. 

The aggyist of names too.
  • Haha 1

This has kinda flown under the radar...

Mike Elko has reportedly found his defensive coordinator

Bateman previously coordinated one of the top scoring defenses in college football.

DOUG SAMUELS    21 HOURS AGO

Mike Elko has been the architect of some top notch defenses over the years, and now appears to have his guy to head the defense for the Aggies.

According to multiple reports today, Elko is tabbing Jay Bateman as his defensive coordinator.  Bateman spent last season coaching the inside linebackers at Florida.

Prior to that, he served as Mack Brown's co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina for a few seasons.

Bateman also previously called the defense at Army from 2014-18, where his defense ranked among the top 10 in scoring defense in his final season.

He brings with him previous coordinator experience at Ball State and Elon as well.