2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It’s pretty nice knowing we arent counting on a freshman QB to carry the team for the first time in 3 years.

Yeah I had forgotten the feeling of coming into the season with a non-freshman/Swoopes QB. Feels good.

Edited by Nope

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Nagging injuries have a way of affecting a team. That's why Jeff McCulloch's recent injury is concerning. In and of itself, it's really not that big of a deal. McCulloch is expected to only be sidelined for the next couple of weeks. The setback will likely push McCulloch into nothing more than a bit role for the first couple of games this season as he gets back into playing shape and his strength returns.

But when injuries across the entire team start to mount, that's when it becomes a much larger discussion. I'm not writing this to sound the alarm bells. It's just one new injury after all. Instead, I think we just need to keep the injuries in mind. The next couple of weeks are about the Longhorns emerging a better team, and a large part of that is for the team to be as healthy as possible. McCulloch's setback is a small one. Let's hope there aren't more than 2 or 3 others over the next couple of weeks, and certainly not injuries to primary contributors.

This is the most bitch ass shit I have ever read. And I have read a lot of bitch ass shit 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

It’s pretty nice knowing we arent counting on a freshman QB to carry the team for the first time in 3 years.

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well, considering Ehlinger and Buechele are both injury prone, hold up on that one.

Yeah, you're just begging for a jinx with that one.

47 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tomorrow’s practice report from Burton:

”The team had a solid day by all accounts.  But more importantly, I’m told there is a 0.000000000001% chance that an asteroid will collide with the earth within our lifetimes.  I don’t mean to sound alarm bells, but I just think it’s something we should be mindful about.  Maybe Jeffrey McCulloch has a minor injury, or maybe the whole team is about to die in a cataclysmic asteroid inferno ... I don’t know the answers to these questions, but I’m told we would probably be underdogs in most of our games if it’s the latter “everyone dies and our pets heads are falling off” scenario.  I’m told our quality depth still isn’t where it needs to be to absorb mass casualties in an Armageddon event, which is an indictment of the program’s recruiting in my opinion.  Just food for thought.”

You better not jinx all of us.  If we get hit by an asteroid this week, I am coming after you.

Edited by Rockwell Torrey

This was a Good read. 
Per TFB 
To be honest, starting to feel more and more optimistic about this team and the prospects for this season and the future.
***I asked a source, very simply, is this offense actually better than last years.
The answer I received was equally as simply but the most exciting sourced note I’ve received in a while…
“The offense is light years ahead of where it was last year”.
***While they aren’t starter, two guys I’m hearing a lot about in recent days in Junior Angilau and Sam Cosmi. Texas just hasn’t had enough guys in the past number of years to be elite on the offensive line and certainly haven’t had enough depth. What I’m hearing about Angilau and Cosmi makes me more optimistic about the kind of talent that’s coming into the program.
Source said, “Angilau is f***** special. Him and Cosmi are competing in a way that is, frankly, exciting. The future is bright with those guys. You’ll see them this year. They may not be starters but they’re creating more intense competition and they’re guys who mark an upward trend in the cieling of offensive linemen at Texas”.
***Related to the note above, a source praised Keondre Coburn saying, “Keondre penetrates. People do not stop Keondre Coburn when he bull rushes”.
Although apparently, Angilau is not “people” because I’m told he straight stoned Coburn yesterday at practice.
***I know some have been asking about why Calvin Anderson isn’t running with the 1st team when the media is at practice and what it might mean.
I was told once again, “That is Calvin’s spot” regardless of the current rotation. Source added that while our guys have seen Okafor at left tackle, “Okafor is going to be your right tackle”.
***Texas needs as many weapons as possible on the offensive side of the ball and I’m told a guy to keep on eye on is freshman, Keontay Ingram. It sounds like, based on his current development trajectory, he is, at some point in camp or this season, going to surge up the depth chart.
One source said, “his feet and vision are elite. In fact he sees so much that sometimes he wants to do too much instead of just taking the yards that are there. He’s just not disciplined right now because he sees so much and he wants it all.”
But again, I’m told he’s going to make a move up the depth chart if he continues on his current path.
***I’m told Kris Boyd is just vicious. He’s hitting anything that moves. Was told at one point yesterday he destroyed the blocker, kept his feet moving and then destroyed the ball carrier.
***Source also talked about how in the second year in Orlando’s defense more guys are further along in their understanding of what Orlando wants. That means, more guys can play faster. I’m told that despite the losses, they are not only playing faster but they’re even more violent…

*chug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

”The team had a solid day by all accounts.  But more importantly, I’m told there is a 0.000000000001% chance that an asteroid will collide with the earth within our lifetimes.  I don’t mean to sound alarm bells, but I just think it’s something we should be mindful about.  Maybe Jeffrey McCulloch has a minor injury, or maybe the whole team is about to die in a cataclysmic asteroid inferno ... I don’t know the answers to these questions, but I’m told we would probably be underdogs in most of our games if it’s the latter “everyone dies and our pets heads are falling off” scenario.  I’m told our quality depth still isn’t where it needs to be to absorb mass casualties in an Armageddon event, which is an indictment of the program’s recruiting in my opinion.  Just food for thought.”

Marty McFly: Whoa, this is heavy.
Doc: There’s that word again: ‘heavy.’ Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth’s gravitational pull? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I would have gone with:

I am told that with the mounting injury issues thus far in fall camp, the coaching staff is tweaking line ups looking for unheralded upperclassmen or young bucks to step up with even average play. My sources tell me the practice field was green, I can only assume the number of non-contact jerseys had the coaches wondering if they were now coaching at Baylor. While I am told we shouldn't panic just yet, Herman might want to consider toning down the intensity of what I am told are brutal practices. I am told that Mack Brown's visit might pay dividends as he said Herman should consider 'thud tempo' and 'some of Sally's therapeutic cookies' as a strategy for getting his team healthy for the opener.

• Like 1

OB's lulz 

In talking with multiple people associated with the program about practice this week, I've heard nothing but positive things. The reviews are so positive, I continuously ask people if they are viewing practice through rose-colored glasses. Each person has told me to wait-and-see what happens this season.

Okay, I am game.

Here are some interesting comments I received this week:

Texas offensive line back Herb Hand’s attention to detail has impressed everyone in attendance. From what I was told, Hand immediately corrects every misstep by his unit. Even if the error is only slightly off, Hand is the first person to fix the mistake. From what I have been told, his attention to detail is every impressive.

Media members have not viewed the team portion of practice, but I hear left tackle Calvin Anderson has played well. In fact, I have been told the more interesting battle is between Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor and Samuel Cosmi at right tackle. Okafor is making a good run at the right tackle position.

Time to buy some stock in Junior Angilau. From what I was told, defensive lineman Keondre Coburn was having a lot of success against the offensive line with a bull rush. Nevertheless, Coburn was eventually matched up against Angilau, and subsequently shut down.

I was told Tope Imade is too big not to play this year. He weighs around 290 pounds and has the build of an NFL player.

Texas senior running back Tre Watson has made a great impression so far. From what I was told, Watson looks better than any running back who played last season. Basically, that means Keaontay Ingram and Watson could end up being the best running options for Texas this season.

Longhorn receiver Collin Johnson is a much tougher receiver, according to multiple people associated with the program. Johnson is developing the attitude of a bad ass, he has caught the attention this staff because of his aggressive play.

When the pads came on this past Wednesday, cornerback Kris Boyd began teeing off on receivers. Boyd landed huge hits and talked trash after each throttling. In fact, safety P.J. Locke recorded several hard hits this week in practice. From what I could tell, the defensive backs are the scariest unit on this year’s team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Isn't Imade listed at 330?

Something like that 

Also, Dunlap had been pushing the "omg Calvin Anderson might not be the starter!" narrative before this article, and they randomly think Ingram will be one of the two best running back options this year 

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

OB's lulz 

Hide contents

In talking with multiple people associated with the program about practice this week, I've heard nothing but positive things. The reviews are so positive, I continuously ask people if they are viewing practice through rose-colored glasses. Each person has told me to wait-and-see what happens this season.

Okay, I am game.

Here are some interesting comments I received this week:

Texas offensive line back Herb Hand’s attention to detail has impressed everyone in attendance. From what I was told, Hand immediately corrects every misstep by his unit. Even if the error is only slightly off, Hand is the first person to fix the mistake. From what I have been told, his attention to detail is every impressive.

Media members have not viewed the team portion of practice, but I hear left tackle Calvin Anderson has played well. In fact, I have been told the more interesting battle is between Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor and Samuel Cosmi at right tackle. Okafor is making a good run at the right tackle position.

Time to buy some stock in Junior Angilau. From what I was told, defensive lineman Keondre Coburn was having a lot of success against the offensive line with a bull rush. Nevertheless, Coburn was eventually matched up against Angilau, and subsequently shut down.

I was told Tope Imade is too big not to play this year. He weighs around 290 pounds and has the build of an NFL player.

Texas senior running back Tre Watson has made a great impression so far. From what I was told, Watson looks better than any running back who played last season. Basically, that means Keaontay Ingram and Watson could end up being the best running options for Texas this season.

Longhorn receiver Collin Johnson is a much tougher receiver, according to multiple people associated with the program. Johnson is developing the attitude of a bad ass, he has caught the attention this staff because of his aggressive play.

When the pads came on this past Wednesday, cornerback Kris Boyd began teeing off on receivers. Boyd landed huge hits and talked trash after each throttling. In fact, safety P.J. Locke recorded several hard hits this week in practice. From what I could tell, the defensive backs are the scariest unit on this year’s team.

they've got to stop letting esl people write their published articles.

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Here's another exclusive Surly wallpaper. Collect 'em all! 

ENTRUSTED.jpg

I'm not one to claim to know all the ins & outs of the program, but wasn't word around the team last year that CJ fell off as the year wore on because he didn't want to mix it up outside (either at the LOS or run blocking, or both)..... ironic picture is ironic....

5 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Are they wrong tho?

People seem to forget that we made it through last season's shit show of an offensive performance with only Sam and Shane seeing the field despite injuries. They will have a better line and better running game this year to take pressure off. Sam looks like a fire hydrant, Shane has added some more bulk. We will be fine. Plus, even if we have to pull Rising or Thompson off the bench for a game it doesn't mean that we are burning their shirt this year. All good things

8Bcg2w.gif

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Imade being too big to not play, at 290 lbs, is the weirdest statement I’ve read in awhile. Like, “Shane Buechele, now 6’1”, is too tall to keep on the bench.”

The stories are written by bots. They cannot sekect all pictures that show at least one car.   User inserts a half dozen names.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

People seem to forget that we made it through last season's shit show of an offensive performance with only Sam and Shane seeing the field despite injuries. They will have a better line and better running game this year to take pressure off. Sam looks like a fire hydrant, Shane has added some more bulk. We will be fine. Plus, even if we have to pull Rising or Thompson off the bench for a game it doesn't mean that we are burning their shirt this year. All good things

I hadn't really thought about how the RS rules are going to help us with QB depth.  No more worrying about cross-training Heard as emergency third-string QB or relying on a walk-on.  Plus you have the option of actually being able to evaluate future talent in real-game situations without burning their shirts.  It's a great rule change for everyone, but I think it could really benefit us, especially given Herman's propensity for banging up QBs as runners.  

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So assuming this Okafor to RT has legs, what, hypothetically, would that do to the rest of the line?

I'm going it means that Kerstetter is battling Shack more than what we've been led on to. Of course, we're still talking about 2 interior lineman trying to man a tackle spot but I digress...

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I mean, I’d rather keep Kerstetter at tackle and play Okafor inside, but no one asked me.

The issue for me is our undisputed starter has yet to finish a season healthy and suddenly started sucking in snapping the ball. Ideally I'd have Rodriguez getting as many snaps as possible since by all accounts he's taking a guard spot that has plenty of legitimate options behind him. I guess I'm just not a fan of "manufactured depth" on the OL since you're pulling one starter or more away to start another position while still trying to maintain cohesiveness and familiarity. That usually doesn't happen when guys are switching around all over the place. 

It’s almost as if those of you lapping up the 995 koolaid haven’t followed Texas football for the last 20 years. It’s standard operating procedure.

We may actually be good this year. We may still be shitty. Regardless, barring some catastrophic injury for them to cover, there will be almost no correspondence between what 995 writes and how we actually look during the season.

IT $9.95ers

Spoiler

By: Chris Del Conte

It's only fitting we pay homage to the man whose approval rating is hovering around 100%. He didn't really write this, but it'd be a lot cooler if he did.

The second week of practice brought pads with it, as well as a heavy dose of install as the staff began to move beyond the basics. We'll shed some light on that as we break down the team by position.

Quarterback

Shane Buechele is playing quite well in the early going of camp and is getting a lot of first team reps. He's made some wow throws. He and Collin Johnson have seemed to even strengthen the connection they shared at times last year. One source in particular was high on Buechele. I asked him cynically if the run game was good enough to relieve pressure from him. He replied that the run game has improved and implied Buechele would be fine as starter. It's apparent that Buechele is bigger and stronger but also it helps that he's healthy, which is rarely the case.

Even if the run game has improved, one play we heard about this week underlines a big difference between Buechele and Sam Ehlinger. Malcolm Roach was bearing down on him in 11 on 11 and would have drilled him. It's a play that Sam likely would have either felt earlier or sidestepped at the last second.

For his part, Ehlinger seems much more comfortable than he was last season and has the basics covered. His true ability won't show in a non-contact jersey. Just as Sam has better pocket presence than Buechele, he's not the downfield passer as the junior. There are always trade-offs.

We still feel strongly that Ehlinger will be your opening day starter but Buechele is playing well and it seems like the staff knows they need both to succeed.

Running Back

Daniel Young is running with the 1st team, but as a pure runner, true freshman Keaontay Ingram is impressing the most. Let's be clear that his head is still swimming and he's making freshman mistakes. We've belabored the point the staff won't give game snaps to players it doesn't trust, however, Ingram is good enough to where the staff will ensure it has him as ready as soon as possible.

With an innate feel for the running game he's already looking like his evaluation. He sees the play develop, cuts sharp ("hugs the corner"), and gets downfield fast. He's impressed numerous sources. Part of the evaluation was liking him as an outside runner and it helps the offense did a lot of that this week.

Toneil Carter has been okay. Kyle Porter has been Kyle Porter. Tre Watson should be ready for full contact early next week. On the player we shall not name, they're bringing him along slowly.

Wide Receiver

We mentioned Collin Johnson and his connection with Buechele. They're beating a good defense not infrequently (still a lot of give and take between Johnson and Boyd). Good thing there aren't a lot of Collin Johnsons walking around the league. He has holes in his game, but nobody is better when the ball is in the air. Johnson's demeanor has changed and he's become a little more verbose with the yappy defensive backs. This is a new development and one that is welcomed.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey is still giving the defense consistent trouble. It sounds like the offensive staff is doing a great job of changing up how they use him. The defense will make an adjustment and a couple of plays later the offense has him doing something else and he's back to making plays in space.

Devin Duvernay is playing well too. He's a smart player who knows what games the defensive backs are trying to play. Combine that with his speed and we could witness a breakout. He seems like a good fit to burn overplay on LJH or the run.

Didn't hear much on the younger guys other than Al'Vonte Woodard's touchdown catch on Thursday.

Tight End

Cade Brewer participated in full contact for the first time since the ACL injury last fall but when it comes to reps, the staff is still taking it slow with him. This was a good week for him to be back as the run game worked on insert plays which basically motion the tight end into the formation to act as a lead blocker for the running back. Brewer and Beck should be good in this role and Brewer and Leitao (maybe Beck too) should give it more credence as receivers. To make this work you need to target the tight end some.

Offensive Line

The line is playing noticeably better than last year, though they still obviously have their hands full.

Overall the defense is still better than the offense but the chasm isn't nearly as wide as it was in the spring.

We have a legitimate position battle being waged at right guard by Elijah Rodriguez and Tope Imade. It's clear that Imade has benefited greatly from Herb Hand and Yancy McKnight. Imade is getting even more reps with the ones. He still lacks in some regards but he's good at being big and in the way. Defenders can't run through him and they have a long way to go to run around him. Everyone is saying this position is E-Rod's to lose but you know what we say, "if he's even he's leavin'." Imade is making up ground. This could be a battle that plays into the season.

Calvin Anderson is still your very likely starter at left tackle versus Maryland. He and Charles Omenihu have had some spirited battles with Anderson more than holding his own. The best way to beat him is with pure speed and that's not Omenihu's strength. Denzel Okafor isn't making this battle quite as easy as we thought. He's showing improvement but still gets off balance too often.

One source pointed out that while Derek Kerstetter will benefit from his experience last year, Sam Cosmi is benefiting from the extra time in the gym afforded redshirt players. We could see Cosmi getting snaps this season to start to get his own experience. He's working at both tackles.

The word to describe Zach Shackelford has been 'solid'. He had a busy week with new run plays being installed. That's more calls for him.

As mentioned, the staff added quite a bit to the run game repertoire this week.

Defensive Line

We'll start with a surprise: DeAndre Christmas is having a good camp and it's looking like he'll hit the field this year. S&C has done him right and his primary strength in high school -- quickness off the ball -- is showing. He reps anywhere from 3-tech to NT depending on the front.

As you can tell they upped the level of install this week. Breckyn Hager was a primary beneficiary of that as he moved across the spectrum of first and second level roles. Orlando seems to have a lot of packages designed to highlight him.

Ta'Quon Graham continues to work from the 3-tech on out. He's looking about as good as he did in that picture with Mack Brown.

Chris Nelson is looking good as Poona's replacement. He may not have to be accounted for in pass protection like Ford was but he's going a great job of allowing the linebackers to operate.

Freshmen Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn look like they belong early. It's nice to hear that after the pads come on. Ojomo makes a couple plays daily and Coburn is already tough to move around. We'll see how he holds up as camp wears on but I think my eval of his football character will show over time. He's not just a fat guy who wants to eat free food for four years.

Linebacker

Gary Johnson offered a scare on Thursday but we believe the issue is just a stinger. We're not sure if he'll miss more time.

On a happier note, freshman Demarvion Overshown is earning the type of superlatives Ingram is on offense. If offensive players didn't know already, they do now, keep your head on a swivel when Overshown is around. He officially works with the linebackers now and was already working with the first team on Thursday at Joker in the Lightning Package. He's the spawn of Serena Williams and Kam Chancellor. Along with Joker, he's also repped at Rover which is his future position.

Joseph Ossai is another guy we've heard good things about even going back to his June arrival. He's already been called the B-backer that Naashon Hughes never was. He's smart, versatile, and doesn't miss tackles. Dating back to his evaluation we mentioned he was the perfect fit for B-backer, more so than defensive end, because it highlights his versatility. That appears to be playing out.

It's early for Overshown and Ossai but a wise man once said if a dog will bite it'll bite as a pup.

Defensive Back

Kris Boyd is at the boundary, with Davante Davis to the field but they can flip flop if the need arises. They are clearly the top two cornerbacks in the program. Anthony Cook is further along than Jalen Green - spring ball will do that for you. Kobe Boyce is holding off the young guns...so far. If the Maryland game was tomorrow it would be interesting to see who the third corner in the game would be. The fact Cook and Green are on campus has only pushed Boyce more. McKnight raved about Boyce during our media session recently.

PJ Locke and Josh Thompson continue to battle it out at nickel but wait, BJ Foster worked there some this week too. We believe this was as the 'big nickel' F-backer that some of the linebackers were working at.

Overshown in the boundary, Sterns over the top, and Foster to the field? Of course it's a mental sport, but athletically that's just....damn.

Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns remain the safety starters and that likely won't change. Jones is solid, but not spectacular. Sterns continues to receive high praise from everyone near the program. While Jones does what he's supposed to, Sterns' range and instincts allow for the big play. BJ Foster continues to adjust, making and missing plays while at safety. He's always going 100 mph. Chris Brown is trying to stay in the mix but Sterns & Foster are five-star recruits who look like five-star players. 

Special Teams

There's definitely some excitement around D'Shawn Jamison in the return game. It's a position that a true freshman can make an immediate impact if he proves reliable fielding the punt. His speed is evident. Said one, "he's even faster than he looks."

The team is back on the field practicing now. They'll hold a scrimmage on Saturday.

2 hours ago, thepop said:

The "Calvin Anderson may not start" story line was some stupid 9.95 shit. The staff wasn't going to throw a grad transfer on first team on his first day.

Regarding players "not meeting expectations" Fuck Chip Brown had this to say in a recent article:

Lower: Without a doubt, the player who has come back to earth for me is Rice grad transfer left tackle Calvin Anderson. He doesn't have the size, feet, hands or confidence of an overachieving guy from a low-level Group Of Five school like Rice. He has the size, feet, hands and confidence, so far, of a guy who started for a team in Conference USA that — as I've pointed out repeatedly — went 5-7, 3-9 and 1-11 the last three seasons. Anderson looks like a freshman body-wise, standing next to guys like Denzel Okafor or Tope Imade, who both look great. We'll see if Anderson's confidence can bulk up in a hurry. So far, I'm not banking on it.

Fuck Chip Brown forever.  I really mean Fuck Chip Brown. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Regarding players "not meeting expectations" Fuck Chip Brown had this to say in a recent article:

Lower: Without a doubt, the player who has come back to earth for me is Rice grad transfer left tackle Calvin Anderson. He doesn't have the size, feet, hands or confidence of an overachieving guy from a low-level Group Of Five school like Rice. He has the size, feet, hands and confidence, so far, of a guy who started for a team in Conference USA that — as I've pointed out repeatedly — went 5-7, 3-9 and 1-11 the last three seasons. Anderson looks like a freshman body-wise, standing next to guys like Denzel Okafor or Tope Imade, who both look great. We'll see if Anderson's confidence can bulk up in a hurry. So far, I'm not banking on it.

Fuck Chip Brown forever.  I really mean Fuck Chip Brown. 

Wasn't he hyping Kirk Johnson? I think Kirk is talented but I'll wait to see if he can actually make it through camp. 

It's totally Chip Brown to be in love with Kirk Johnson while having that opinion of Anderson after a couple of practices that probably didn't even involve pads. 

Edited by texasstrong12