Great Quotes

Rimbo

15 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

“Three things can happen when you pass, and two of ‘em are bad.”

Darrell Royal

Coach Royal had a lot of them:

"Hell no, I'm not going to candy this up.  These are works clothes "- On changing our uniforms.

(TCU) is like a bunch of cockroaches. It’s not what they eat and tote off, it’s what they fall into and mess up that hurts.

And this one from James Street.    Always liked the counter subconscious subterfuge....

"Randy, I'm talking to you. I'm looking at Cotton but I'm talking to you!"
-- James Street to Randy Peschel (but pointing at Cotton Speyrer in emphasis) in the huddle before the 4th and 3rd play against Arkansas in 1969. Street had noticed the Arkansas players looking into the huddle all afternoon

• Like 1

"We have a given problem to solve. To refuse to deal with it at all merely amounts to dealing with it badly.  If we undertake the solution, there is, of course, always danger that we may not solve it aright; but to refuse to undertake the solution simply renders it certain that we cannot possibly solve it aright."  President Teddy Roosevelt

And if you have not read his "The Strenuous Life" speech given in 1899, it should be must reading.

Edited by Lidig8r
  • Like 1

On August 3, 2018 at 1:59 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Ah, I didn't realize the extent to which you were aiming for the profane, odd, or obscure.

Best quote I've heard about being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth (and it gets thrown around a lot lately):

"Donald Trump was born in the owner's box and thinks he invented the game."  - WhatTheBuck

I thought it was something like "Donald Trump was born on Third Base and thus thinks it okay to finger Ivanka."  

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

Inigo Montoya

So close, but you forgot the initial greeting.

Hello, ....

which eventually gets raised to exclaimation when being repeated to Count Rugen:

Hello! ....

until the entire line is:

HELLO!  MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA!  YOU KILLED MY FATHER, PREPARE TO DIE!

On 8/5/2018 at 11:21 AM, Lidig8r said:

"We have a given problem to solve. To refuse to deal with it at all merely amounts to dealing with it badly.  If we undertake the solution, there is, of course, always danger that we may not solve it aright; but to refuse to undertake the solution simply renders it certain that we cannot possibly solve it aright."  President Teddy Roosevelt

If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it."  Vanilla Ice

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill

It don't make a shit - Super Bill Bradley

If it flies, floats or fucks...rent it - Various sources

My avatar has too many to give, but that is one of my favorites.  A few others:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me."

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."

Then there's the story with his famous retort to Nancy Astor:

"Winston, if you were my husband I would put poison in your drink."  Churchill replied, "If I were your wife, I'd drink it."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

"This is the first time Texas became hip... Lead bass and drums. The only thing that had been even close to this was the Jeff Beck group. Listen, it sounds like Jeff Beck. But Jeff was just stealing old black guys' stuff. Listen to that ZZ Top bass player. He knows barbecue sauce."

David Lee Roth, Crazy From the Heat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

HL Mencken is another gold mine.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

• Like 2