Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Just saw a report that Donnelly is a no.  If there is a pact, then that could be huge.  It would make sense that they gave Flake a pass in committee and will deal with this on the floor.

Again, lot of whispers flying around town today, so treat it with a whole shaker of salt.

Why does Flake need a pass. He isnt running for reelection. Out of everyone, he should just be able to vote how he wants. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Disagree with this take.  Trump lost the popular votes by millions and Kavanaugh isn’t running against Hillary Clinton.  He’s running against any other qualified jurist.

The average voting American can't name half of the Supreme Court. I really don't think they'll care that much.

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Why does Flake need a pass. He isnt running for reelection. Out of everyone, he should just be able to vote how he wants. 

He's a conservative. Brett Kavanaugh will vote the way he wants. If Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed there is a real possibility that Donald Trump doesn't get the opportunity to name another conservative to the bench. That's why Flake will vote to confirm.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I mentioned this above:  He's actually not particularily wealthy.  If he wants to cash in, he has to do what McConnell wants.  It's the same reason Dean Heller suddenly got religion on repealing Obamacare:  Cross McConnell and K Street is closed.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

He's still young with a lot of money to be made post service.  He has a lot to worry about.  Paid speeches and think tanks go to the super loyal.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

...If a man will lie about the most inconsequential things, what do you think he'll do when something important comes down the pike?  ...

I lie all the time about eating the last donut, but pretty sure that doesn't mean I would lie about sexual assault or other important things

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

To be clear Flake is voting Y to get it out of committee.  Does this necessarily mean Y vote with the full Senate ?  Voting N in committee would expose him to a very different kind of heat.

Edited by triplehorn

Kavanaugh yells and screams and lies - “of course he’s acting that way, he’s been accused of a serious crime.”

Judge runs and hides and refuses to talk to anyone - “of course he’s acting that way, he’s been accused of a serious crime.”

Ford calmly and consistently answers questions - “She’s a Democrat pawn!”

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

I mentioned this above:  He's actually not particularily wealthy.  If he wants to cash in, he has to do what McConnell wants.  It's the same reason Dean Heller suddenly got religion on repealing Obamacare:  Cross McConnell and K Street is closed.

I think Flake still wants a political career but he’s squandered too many opportunities to act like a leader.  Voting for Kavanaugh keeps him Republican safe. Still an enormous POS

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The average voting American can't name half of the Supreme Court. I really don't think they'll care that much.

I think you are way off to a large voting segment.  SCOTUS is very high on the list of most righties I know, especially when they are social conservatives.  My brother is one and knows the bench down the micron.  Sometimes will text me with whatever he happens to be thinking about at the moment.  Actual text from Sept. 6:  "Name the last justice appointed by a democrat to retire during a republican administration."  

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

To be clear Flake is voting Y to get it out of committee.  Does this necessarily mean Y vote with the full Senate ?  Voting N in committee would expose him to a very different kind of heat.

I thought this too but reading Flake’s explanation indicates he’s a Yes in the full vote too

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Oh that is rich from whichever female Democrat Senator is talking now (TV is on in other room.  I am listening to the hearing but not watching.)  You people refuse to reveal a letter alleging sexual misconduct by Kavanaugh for six weeks and you have the fucking nerve to bitch about the Republicans not having transparency?  Fuck you whoever you were.

Negged for lying about the six weeks.

13 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I hope it never happens but if I am ever put in a position where my only two options are being gang raped or being gang grandstanded by Democrat Senators I will take the rape.  It will be over sooner and my ears won't hurt as much.

I assume you would immediately tell your father you were sodomized by multiple men

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Is he getting extra votes?  Cuz even if he goes hyperpartisan, he would lose that decision 8 to 1. 

Well I don't know about you, but I was shocked at the Court, as it's currently been aligned, gutting  the Voting Rights Act and also letting the Muslim ban sail through with a wink and a nod at its stated intentions.

The fix is in. We're fucked. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think you are way off to a large voting segment.  SCOTUS is very high on the list of most righties I know, especially when they are social conservatives.  My brother is one and knows the bench down the micron.  Sometimes will text me with whatever he happens to be thinking about at the moment.  Actual text from Sept. 6:  "Name the last justice appointed by a democrat to retire during a republican administration."  

I just don't believe that the average American is playing SCOTUS trivia. I think they're watching The Voice or MNF instead.

Edited by SimonBolivar

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll say it: it is a dumb move for Donnelly and Manchin to vote N unless they know Collins and Murkowski are too. Yeah, it’s nice to have principles or whatever, but those unfortunately stopped mattering long ago. Don’t let this beat you twice.

Yeah, that is just smart politics.  If their votes don't matter, you let them vote how they need to.  That's how it's worked for a very long time.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll say it: it is a dumb move for Donnelly and Manchin to vote N unless they know Collins and Murkowski are too. Yeah, it’s nice to have principles or whatever, but those unfortunately stopped mattering long ago. Don’t let this beat you twice.

Perhaps vote "present" if they want to object if they can't stop the train..... but that may be just as bad.

28 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I hope it never happens but if I am ever put in a position where my only two options are being gang raped or being gang grandstanded by Democrat Senators I will take the rape.  It will be over sooner and my ears won't hurt as much.

Hahaha, rape jokes are so hilarious!!

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, that is just smart politics.  If their votes don't matter, you let them vote how they need to.  That's how it's worked for a very long time.

Truf, that's how all the backroom deals in DC work. "I will give you my vote if you have XYZ's vote to get the result your looking for"