Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It won't be derailed if the FBI comes back with no new information. The only way his career is derailed is if they find reasons to derail it. He should welcome this.

And to think, this could have been resolved weeks ago with an FBI investigation. 

2 minutes ago, Hammock said:

See how easy it is to derail someone's career with a 36 year old accusation with no evidence? 

So how many new allegations are going to come out during a week? I'd say probably two.

So you're conceding that Kavanaugh wouldn't pass an FBI investigation into the allegations?

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

I can imagine that situation, and it would be horrible.   I do not want the responsibilities and burdens, or benefits, of being a public official.   But withstanding public scrutiny is an obligation and burden he has assumed.  It comes with the territory.   He could work at a law firm if he doesn't want the public to evaluate him for a lifetime Supreme Court job.   But you don't and shouldn't get that honor without a thorough public vetting, and this is part of it.  Because you are imagining, what if he is innocent, but the more important issue for the country is, what if he is guilty, and perjurying himself to get on the Supreme Court? 

"Well, you can become a Supreme Court Judge but there's a good chance you and your family's lives will be altered forever if anyone makes an allegation against you."

Sounds fair.

See how easy it is to derail someone's career with a 36 year old accusation with no evidence? 

So how many new allegations are going to come out during a week? I'd say probably two.

Super easy. The Ds are distributing potential R nominee names in 2025 to women so they can tell their therapists now. Long game.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I would hope not. He lied under oath. 100%. I don't care if it was a small lie, it was an unequivocal lie. Multiple lies in fact. He should not be a Supreme Court Justice. Before his testimony, I would have said yes. 

I'm here as well.  Not only did he unequivocally lie, his testimony generally was argumentative, nonresponsive, and far from what I'd view as reflecting appropriate judicial temperament.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I would hope not. He lied under oath. 100%. I don't care if it was a small lie, it was an unequivocal lie. Multiple lies in fact. He should not be a Supreme Court Justice. Before his testimony, I would have said yes. 

He flat out spewed word garbage on yes/no questions because he didn't want the responsibility of his answer blowing up in his face.  

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Super easy. The Ds are distributing potential R nominee names in 2025 to women so they can tell their therapists now. Long game.

Don't forget the androgynous vegan intern who Amy Coney Barrett called a hippie faggot.  They'll trot him out in 2025.  Democrats are smart, long game the shit out of this nominees.  Genius plan.

1 minute ago, Mapache said:

We're Getting Flaked Again

He wants to look like the reasonable compassionate republican before he votes lock-step...there will be no FBI investigation

I think the war is with the White House.

Except for the Cult 45 clowns, no one really wants to sign their name to Kavanaugh for eternity at this point.  Sadly, it doesn’t matter if the allegations are true or false, the guy is too politically toxic. 

They want the nomination to be someone without baggage, like Gorsuch. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Don't forget the androgynous vegan intern who Amy Coney Barrett called a hippie faggot.  They'll trot him out in 2025.  Democrats are smart, long game the shit out of this nominees.  Genius plan.

Or go the Republican way and refuse to hear anybody.  

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

So you're conceding that Kavanaugh wouldn't pass an FBI investigation into the allegations?

I would think he would pass (36 years of working with women and no allegations) and I would hope the FBI's findings would ruin these women if they are lying. That'll be the interesting part. Someone is lying and who will risk their freedom for their agenda. 

6 minutes ago, Hammock said:

"Well, you can become a Supreme Court Judge but there's a good chance you and your family's lives will be altered forever if anyone makes an allegation against you."

Sounds fair.

Well, yeah.   You don't think Hillary's life has been forever altered by all of the shit people have thrown at her?   Or Trump, even?    That's life as a public figure.   The Supreme Court is the top of one of our branches of government.   It is life-changing in many ways, including the public scrutiny.    Kavanaugh has made the choice to take that on rather than remain a private citizen.  Hell, he made that choice long ago. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

You're obviously under 40.  Back in the 80's, "boof" meant butt fuck, and "Devil's Triangle" meant 2 guys and one girl.  It wasn't a regional thing either.

Thanks for spelling that out. I’ve never heard the term “boof,” missed where it was discussed (aside from it being a lie), and was not keen on googling it.

5 minutes ago, Stros said:

If the FBI clears him on all the allegations the dems still won’t vote for him. Waste of time.

It's not the Dems that need convincing to vote yes. If the FBI clears him on all allegations Flake and Murkowsky will vote for him. So it certainly wont be a waste of time, because without the investigation, Kavanaugh won't get the required yes votes need in the Senate to become a SC Justice.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Well, yeah.   You don't think Hillary's life has been forever altered by all of the shit people have thrown at her?   Or Trump, even?    That's life as a public figure.   The Supreme Court is the top of one of our branches of government.   It is life-changing in many ways, including the public scrutiny.    Kavanaugh has made the choice to take that on rather than remain a private citizens.  Hell, he made that choice long ago. 

Exactly.  A few nominees have decided to drop out early when issues surfaced.  Take Douglas Ginsberg in the late 80s.  When Reagan nominated him, it came out that he had smoked the devils weed a few times as an asst professor in the 70s.  He quickly withdrew.    He is a semi-retired judge in the DC circuit today.   He chose to remain relatively anonymous on a national view.

It's a lot easier to send in a letter to the JC and say I don't recall that party. There was the understanding that it would only be BK and Ford called before the committee.

There's a host of witnesses associated w the current 3 accusers. Seems like it will be much more difficult for reluctant witnesses to sidestep the FBI.

26 minutes ago, B00M said:

However, since these are being cited as the "100% lies", how are we certain about Bart lying about "devils triangle" and "boof"? Did Judge define them in his book? Were they defined in BK's yearbook? Regardless of the modern day definitions, who knows what they meant in '82, especially in particular teenage social circles. While i believe he lied, i doubt he provably perjured himself.

I was a teenager in 1982.  I defined them a few pages back.  "Boof" = anal sex.  "Devil's Triangle" = 3-way (2M 1W).

These are not really arguable points.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly.  A few nominees have decided to drop out early when issues surfaced.  Take Douglas Ginsberg in the late 80s.  When Reagan nominated him, it came out that he had smoked the devils weed a few times as an asst professor in the 70s.  He quickly withdrew.    He is a semi-retired judge in the DC circuit today.   He chose to remain relatively anonymous on a national view.

Kavanaugh has now shame and won't withdraw unless told to do so.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I was a teenager in 1982.  I defined them a few pages back.  "Boof" = anal sex.  "Devil's Triangle" = 3-way (2M 1W).

These are not really arguable points.

I'm suprised he didn't say he couldn't have done it because on July 1st he was "skiing"...it said so right on the calendar... "Go to Timmy's for skis.."

15 minutes ago, Mapache said:

We're Getting Flaked Again

He wants to look like the reasonable compassionate republican before he votes lock-step...there will be no FBI investigation

Flake is acting like somebody who wants to be a lobbyist after Congress or plans on running for other offices.  Can't lobby your former Republican buddies in Congress if you truly alienate them, but at the same time, can't risk alienating moderates/women if you plan on running again.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Glad his wife Ruth Bader had the courage to do it though / b_t

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

Kavanaugh has now shame and won't withdraw unless told to do so.

Especially after that embarrassing performance yesterday. If he’s willing to do that and humiliate himself in front of the world he ain’t voluntarily withdrawing. 

He said this has destroyed his family. I bet his wife enjoyed hearing that one.