Shit's Borked

RPM

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm going to reintroduce Tapa - but it may be on a totally different webhost/server so it doesn't fuck with the main board like it did yesterday. All the gremlins immediately went away when I uninstalled the plugin.

Could you hurry the fuck up? I’m actually doing work today which sucks. 

1 minute ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Tapa fucking sucks. Tapa, not surly tapa.  All for the sake of "updating tech," they went from a very user friendly app to a fucking shit fire. 

the only other two forums I am on have a tapa platform, and neither works for shit.  I don't even bother with it.

I tried installing it today - I don't think it works with anything other than the bone stock theme. I have to figure out how to get tapatalk.surlyhorns.com to work so I can just put another app server dedicated to the shitfest that is Tapatalk 

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

I mean, the mobile web interface is just fine imo lol. I don't get why y'all fuckers want tapa so bad

This. Gave up on tapa a while back. That it is fucking up the regular interface is more than enough reason to jettison it. 

Tapa is absolutely a better way to access forums. I’m using the chrome app right now on my phone and I hate it. I visits a weather forum that supports tapa and it has zero issues. I’ve never really done much research into forum software, but maybe the software Surly runs on is the one that sucks if so many other forums don’t have the issue.

• Like 1

Tapa allows you to do things with fewer clicks. I use unread content as my way to keep up with interesting new posts. On tapa, it’s quick and easy. On the mobile browser it’s three clicks every time to get to it. Click one is scroll up. Click two is activity. Click three is unread. It’s a beating. The one click difference and no scroll up is huge. Life changing. 

My favorite part of Tapa is the “Participated” heading. Let’s me quickly see if someone has responded to the threads I actually care about. IE the ones I’ve posted in. Unread also is great. 

Is is there a way on mobile browsing to see participates easily?

11 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

My favorite part of Tapa is the “Participated” heading. Let’s me quickly see if someone has responded to the threads I actually care about. IE the ones I’ve posted in. Unread also is great.   Is is there a way on mobile browsing to see participates easily?

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/discover/content-posted/

11 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

My favorite part of Tapa is the “Participated” heading. Let’s me quickly see if someone has responded to the threads I actually care about. IE the ones I’ve posted in. Unread also is great. 

I don't have a view that shows just the threads I participated in, but threads you've replied to have a star next to the thread title rather than a dot. You can also use the "activity stream" functionality to build and save a filter to show you only that in a single view.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.09.41 AM.png

borkage continues.

27 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Yes.  You can set up a participates via the activity stream Captain just described. 

Holy fuckamoly there's a ton of borkage going on. How am I supposed to be goofing off at work if surly is shitting the bed?

EDIT: getting 502's and 504's for days. Some underlying service in the surly stack is dogshit and taking forever to respond to requests and/or throwing errors like crazy.

Edited by Captainant

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So is it this tapa thing y'all like that's causing the constant 502 and 504 errors? It happens 2 or 3 times every time I try to load a page at this point.

yes it is related to me trying to get tapa working for these assholes lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

yes it is related to me trying to get tapa working for these assholes lol

I genuinely don't know how tapa/invision works under the hood, but can't you set up a read replica for the site and point tapa at that? And just have writes get forwarded to the actual master DB/site? Seems like separating the two environments would help to significantly reduce borkage when doing on-the-fly maintenance 

Tapa wants to plug into invision and use their data structures to post and read/write to the DB so it doesn't bork the posts/rep etc. I have 0 idea why the fuck that requires changes to themes (unless tapa is doing invasive shit like wanting to show tapatalk banners on load for mobile) that's why I've opened a ticket with them. 

I also don't know if we are just being whiney babies and not letting the template rebuild after the tapa install because the site has traffic at a pretty significant rate all day every day except from like 230AM CST until 530AM CST - I don't feel like waking up in the middle of the night to test that theory, but I just might have to.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I also don't know if we are just being whiney babies and not letting the template rebuild after the tapa install because the site has traffic at a pretty significant rate all day every day except from like 230AM CST until 530AM CST - I don't feel like waking up in the middle of the night to test that theory, but I just might have to.

Just announce a maintenance window during the day like a week in advance and do it during normal daytime hours lol. I can't imagine that the loss of ad revenue for that three hour window would be any more painful than ongoing instability and intermittent unplanned outages.

But also, is the maintenance process really that hands on? It's nuts that it isn't just something that you couldn't just set a chron job for and wake up in the morning to see if it shit itself and rolled back, or not.

Edited by Captainant

Maybe Tapa sucks, maybe it doesn't.  It works and has always worked a lot of other places just fine and we have an aggy admin who has admitted in the past to doing dumb careless shit managing the site.  Immamac seems like a real smart dude who has problems paying attention to details.  But whatever let's continue the narrative that it's just the app that has several hundred thousand boards leveraging it in some way that's completely the issue here.

Edited by Surly Bevo