Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

11 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Once again, Patterson walks on water at TCU and isn't going anywhere. He has practically reached Joe Pa status and can leave whenever he wants, but he won't leave TCU. 

I would seriously consider quitting cheering for this program if they hired Patterson.

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I gotta stop forgetting my socks.  I could have sworn I wasn't Lobo, but here I am posting my thoughts under that account.

If I copied something else you said upthread, my bad.  I’m a lot of bad things but I’m not know for plagiarism. 

"Beyond that brief overview and out of respect for those involved, we will not air further details about the search, but what is important is in the end we got our man, and that man is the hottest coach in college football today, and he is here to lead the Longhorns."

Greg Fenves, 11/27/2016

Man, I believed that was true at the time. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Again, this is an idiotic way to try to boil things down. Herman is 27-16 at Texas, 18-11 in conference with a Sugar Bowl win. Strong was 16-21, 12-15 in conference and never finished above .500.

Herman is very clearly better than Strong even though he needs to go. 

Tom Herman is exactly one Sam Ehlinger better than Charlie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Y’all have the memories of a fish in this thread. Charlie Strong was way worse than Herman. It’s not close. Messing up the coin toss, 3 extra points blocked in one game,  59 total yards in a bowl game and then keeping that OC. Herman’s not a good coach because his teams are wildly inconsistent. Strong was consistently terrible. 

Not that it really matters because they’re both guys who couldn’t cut it at Texas, but people saying they’re equal as coaches are showing some serious recency bias. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Herman is fucking terrible, but he's on a level similar to many others that still have a job at Also Ran University.

Strong is in his own classification of ineptitude. Think Jeff Fischer, John Blake level of suck.

That we followed up such a terrible hire with such a bad one should really speak volumes about our athletics department.

He's kevin sumlin

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No, no...

Its impossible to fool these people with this shenanigan. They've probably figured out you're my sock, or I'm yours.

Wait.. wut.

Basically it was my joke about how your thoughts echo mine on the topic.

How is it my sock doesn't get my comedy. If anyone did, I figured it was me.

So wait...it's time for someone to put their socked foot down...and that socked foot...is you?  

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not sure about that.   Coaching a complete game is a rare occurrence under Tom and more so apparent in games we SHOULD win like the last one.    But connecting with the players is indeed a big one starting with him not at least attempting to go ape shit on the sidelines when the officials have an agenda like they did against TCU.  It's possible if Tom would have  gone off on those clowns early in that game, we'd be 3-0 right now and this discussion would be just quite noise if at all.  The players might have snapped out of their funk earlier and responded.  

The Charlie 2.0 is more along the lines of we got caught chasing the name of the coach the media and others said was THE next best coach to hire.  Charlie was very much that type although we did try at least informally to lure others before we opted for Charlie.    

I get where you are coming from but you are forgetting the brain farts that happened damn near every game with Charlie.

If you think Charlie + his coaches coached a better game than Tom + his coaches you should go back and watch some of them because that's wrong.

IIRC, Strong was not a first choice.

Herman very clearly was.

tenor.gif?itemid=9756049

(We in this case)

Edited by NoName

This is what we have become, arguing over which one of our shitbirds was the worst. 
You wanna know which one of these assholes is the worst look in the trophy case and look at the record book. When you are done with that look at how players are not being developed. Which one has lost ground on our Brand and national prominence? Who gives a shit who the worst is. Can we hire the best available person. This whole AD job is so overwhelmingly Hard. Evaluating your employees is so Hard. Simple way to look at this issue. Does anyone else want your Head coach? Is anyone sniffing around the program trying to poach your assistants if the answer is hell no, we got the wrong people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman hasn't performed well here and I'm not sure he's good enough for this job, in fact, he wasn't when hired.  But, he is a level or two above Charlie.  Now, Charlie may be a bit more likable, but he was awful here.

Absolutely. It isn’t personal, just business.

We may like you personally, but the results mean it’s time to quit fucking around. It’s

been a fucking decade plus, and no end in sight. Tech was luck. We should be 1-2. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, NoName said:

I get where you are coming from but you are forgetting the brain farts that happened damn near every game with Charlie.

If you think Charlie + his coaches coached a better game than Tom + his coaches you should go back and watch some of them because that's wrong.

IIRC, Strong was not a first choice.

Herman very clearly was.

tenor.gif?itemid=9756049

(We in this case)

They are both F-ups.   Thanks Deloss and the clown from Arizona State---  I forgot his fricken name

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

The difference between this dickhead and Strong is the qb situation.

I'm all on Herman being gone asap but the difference is not just the QB situation. our entire team was a disaster during strong getting run 20+ on the reg.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Fucking gather the BMDs and get them ready to fire Herman to hire Urban.  ONLY way to prevent massive decommitment.

How does that work in practice?  Do you go to one giant BMD and ask for 25 million, or ask 25 different ones to root around in the couch cushions for a million each?

I'm obviously not a BMD, but I'd believe that with Tom's abrasive personality and dismal performance that every single BMD is sick of his shit.  We've got to have dozens of them, even if the price of crude is low.

Edited by Not a cat

Just now, Not a cat said:

How does that work in practice?  Do you go to one giant BMD and ask for 25 million, or ask 25 different ones to root around in the couch cushions for a million each?

I'm obviously not a BMD, but I find it hard to believe that with Tom's abrasive personality and dismal performance that every single BMD is sick of his shit.  We've got to have dozens of them, even if the price of crude is low.

You go to the most influential one and plant the seed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You call Urban first. He's in or he's out. If he's out, you're done.

If he's in, get the price. Call Big Dog 1, tell him Urban's in, we need 25 megabux, how much are you in for?

Call Big Dog 2, tell him Urban's in, we need 25 megabux, how much are you in for?

Repeat until you're done with the Big Dog list.

Call #MensaTom. Tell him, Tom, you're done. Urban needs to wrap up, but he'll be here in a coupla days. You need to set up a presser and announce your resignation. Do it tomorrow, or I will set one up and announce you're fired. I'll take care of the staff. 'Bye.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You call Urban first. He's in or he's out. If he's out, you're done.

If he's in, get the price. Call Big Dog 1, tell him Urban's in, we need 25 megabux, how much are you in for?

Call Big Dog 2, tell him Urban's in, we need 25 megabux, how much are you in for?

Repeat until you're done with the Big Dog list.

Call #MensaTom. Tell him, Tom, you're done. Urban needs to wrap up, but he'll be here in a coupla days. You need to set up a presser and announce your resignation. Do it tomorrow, or I will set one up and announce you're fired. I'll take care of the staff. 'Bye.

I'll have a lifetime of respect for CDC if he proved to admit when he was wrong. He talked them away from a replacement 10 months ago, he'd have to eat some crow but it would gain my respect.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas