Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, immamac said:

uh...the game thread was barely 30 pages. 

My brother was in town, so I watched about 15 total minutes of the game and couldn’t have  cared less.  This is the only thread I read and respond too, really.  Don’t really give a shit about Ash’s defense or “Yurcich’s” offense.  

I don’t really give a shit about football in general when Texas sucks.  I lose interest in my fantasy team and the weekly office pool and I stop watching football in general.  It hits at different points each season, but it has hit the last few years in a row.  

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

cdc is not going to mess this up he is a legit bonafide stud ad & has been litty with his hires 

Hide contents

i understand u people r too pretentious to watch other texas sports but cdc has been 1000 percent on his hires at texas

softball  hired a multiple time national semifinal coach (led texas to the #1ranking in year 2 & was well on the way to playing for a title before covid)

basketball hired a multi time national championship appearing coach  (been on the job < 6 months & already has the #1 recruiting class in the nation)

track  hired a proven winner who lead texas to a top 10 finish in year 1

btw the money is gathered for they buyout & next coach :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I hope you are right in general, but you are spot on in your hidden comments.  Both of those coaches are slam dunk hires that seem to have been pulled off by ninjas.  

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not really sure I blame him. Yes he was petulant on the way out. Yes, the break before resuming at UNC was good for him. But he’s clearly a better coach than the last two fucktards put together, and I’d be bitter about it too. 

I bet Mack probably wouldn’t wish Herman ill will, but chuckles every time Horns football loses. 

We could’ve had a better coach than him.   His name was saban.   Mack signed off on the Charlie pick btw.  Charlie also called Mack his best friend in Austin

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Is Mack Brown that much of a bitchass?

That would depend...if suddenly getting pissy because Tom Hicks tells you that he has an agreement in place to bring Saban in as your replacement so you can ride off into the sunset and you scuttle the whole thing....then on top of that when you know you are leaving, you waste all of the head coach in home visits so your successor won't have any....

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

They loved Charlie, too. A certain type of player is drawn to the Charlie’s and Tom’s of coaching.

I think this speaks more to the character of our players than to that of the coaching staff. I would hope and expect our players would buy in and "love" and respect whoever the coach is at any given moment. The team has reportedly been doing everything the staff asks, and yet they are confused that hasn't translated to success. We owe better to these athletes. I hope we deliver. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Per contract we keep paying him a monthly sum through the end of his contract.  He also has to make a reasonable effort to get another job and that income offsets what we owe.  
In other words, fuck reassignment, fire his ass as soon as possible.

Agreed.  I posted the contract a while back.  I don't know why this fantasy about reassignment lingers, but it is prohibited in the contract, and it would be professional malpractice for any lawyer representing a D1 head football coach to not include language prohibiting the reassignment of duties.  No need to indulge in such mental gymnastics - just pay the buyout and move on.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

The fucker said in his press conf. that DBs and receivers run "7, 8, 9,000 yards per game."

The average I saw per some studies was around 2,200 yards.

Maybe he just meant his DBs and opposing receivers. You know, the other team runs all over the field catching passes in record-breaking fashion, while our DBs chase them?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If we don’t get Urban it will be an epic screw up of historic proportions, rivaled only by having done the same thing with Saban. Frankly, to do it two times in eight years probably means the entire system is completely broken and we might as well become quidditch fans.

Well to be fair, we do have a badass quidditch team and they have won a national championship.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Herman misquoted the study.  It actually found that DBs run 9,000 yards per PLAY, since it was a study of Texas DBs on Todd Orlando blitz packages.

Maybe he multiplied 2,200 yards by 4 db’s and arrived at nearly 9000 yards. Unless there’s a nickel or a spur. So you have 5 db’s, but I wouldn’t worry about that little guy. 

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I go back to not going for 2 against OU. This could have been a turning point 

make it. Game is over. Young coach lets nuts hang to beat rival in epic fashion. The game will be remembered and talked about until the the end of time. Sam back in hunt for heisman. This could be the 1990 Houston moment. 

miss it. Game is over. Young coach lets nut hang trusting his team to win the game. Team believes coach has their back, excitement level is still high. 

Or....be a pussy. Bet on mistake prone team to not make mistakes on O and D (and special teams). Win, team is exhausted. Lose, team is demoralized. 

This makes too much sense. Herman ain't got sense.

14 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Maybe he multiplied 2,200 yards by 4 db’s and arrived at nearly 9000 yards. Unless there’s a nickel or a spur. So you have 5 db’s, but I wouldn’t worry about that little guy. 

No he’s just a stupid fuck trying to rationalize his dog shit personnel packages because MENSA 

13 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I wasn’t  serious.

I’m just venting. 

what triggers me is his comments about running backs too. “We don’t have a bell cow.” Well how the fuck do you know you don’t give any of them a chance to establish themself as that. 

Keontay isn’t the guy and RoJo is banged up. Let fucking Bijan carry the ball 20-25 times and see the numbers. 

keontay is getting 10.2 carries per game

rojo is getting 6.6 but has been banged up

Bijan is getting 6.5 but missed one game 

like how can any running back get established when the rotation is so fucking bad

one thing I know for sure is keontay isn’t the guy. He should be last in the rotation. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

They loved Charlie, too. A certain type of player is drawn to the Charlie’s and Tom’s of coaching.

Probably why there’s no discipline and no edge.  The players love coaches that make an environment where they are totally comfortable. Kinda like that parent that wants to be the kids best friend.  That rarely produces good results.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, someguy said:

Agreed.  I posted the contract a while back.  I don't know why this fantasy about reassignment lingers, but it is prohibited in the contract, and it would be professional malpractice for any lawyer representing a D1 head football coach to not include language prohibiting the reassignment of duties.  No need to indulge in such mental gymnastics - just pay the buyout and move on.

Unless there is some info of off the field misconduct that would motivate Tom towards a settlement and no need to keep him in place until December?  I’m just an optimist.  

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You know what annoys me most about Herman’s press conference yesterday is that he continues to use covid and the weird off season and fall camp as an excuse. It’s pathetic. Every other team had those same off season and fall camps because of covid. 

While I agree with your opinion, it is worth noting that there have been a serious amount of top 25 upsets this year, more than any previous year I can remember.  So while all teams have had the same issues, there are quite a few in the same boat that we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No there aren’t. We haven’t been inconsistent or gotten upset once or twice. We’ve been consistently shitty every week, and we had way less covid issues than a lot of other teams. We’ve hardly missed any practice time due to Covid. This should be operating as an advantage to us this season, but instead Herman’s using it as an excuse because he’s terrible at his job. Herman’s a pussy who can’t take responsibility for his own failures. End of story. Dont try to legitimize his excuses. 

Again, I said I don't disagree with the opinion and I'm not trying to legitimize it.  I'd be okay with hiring another coach now or the end of the season.  But not based on this year.  This team has had limited practices, limited scrimmages and was trying to implement a new offensive and defensive scheme.  My issues were from years previous that led up to this year and the need to implement the new schemes in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Zone Read said:

Again, I said I don't disagree with the opinion and I'm not trying to legitimize it.  I'd be okay with hiring another coach now or the end of the season.  But not based on this year.  This team has had limited practices, limited scrimmages and was trying to implement a new offensive and defensive scheme.  My issues were from years previous that led up to this year and the need to implement the new schemes in the first place. 

Michelle?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zone Read said:

"But not based on this year."

So you're okay with the guy getting fired because of performances in the past, but you're giving him a pass for this season? I'm only asking because I am fascinated by that logic pretzel. I'm going to avoid thinking about it too hard, or I might overheat the tiny grey matter rolling around between my ears and stroke out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

It's not just this year though. He was very nearly fired at the end of last year and was supposedly given his marching orders to save his job or not when he got to redo his staff.  The team is worse this year then last year.  In every capacity.  It isn't just practice it is everything about this team.

6 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Tom or Michelle...

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"But not based on this year."

So you're okay with the guy getting fired because of performances in the past, but you're giving him a pass for this season? I'm only asking because I am fascinated by that logic pretzel. I'm going to avoid thinking about it too hard, or I might overheat the tiny grey matter rolling around between my ears and stroke out. 

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Michelle?

Maybe I didn't explain this well enough.  I think the 3 previous years were enough to get him fired. And I think he should be fired.  If he'd improved from year 1 to year 3 and then this season occurred, I wouldn't feel the same way.  

3 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Maybe I didn't explain this well enough.  I think the 3 previous years were enough to get him fired. And I think he should be fired.  If he'd improved from year 1 to year 3 and then this season occurred, I wouldn't feel the same way.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That reminds of something a friend of mine told me this weekend about Mack Brown. He's been on cloud nine with UNC outranking Texas this year and is making jokes about it. 

That fat old fucker knows that hiring Urban Meyer would not be good for his own legacy at Texas. One of the opinions that Meyer is going to seek if he's serious about the job is Mack Brown's. He's got one more shot to scuttle our hopes of getting the right man at the right time, and it won't be because of some booster pull. 

I wonder how much Urban truly gives a shit about Mack's opinion at the end of the day if he has a nice Texas offer sitting on the table 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I go back to not going for 2 against OU. This could have been a turning point 

make it. Game is over. Young coach lets nuts hang to beat rival in epic fashion. The game will be remembered and talked about until the the end of time. Sam back in hunt for heisman. This could be the 1990 Houston moment. 

miss it. Game is over. Young coach lets nut hang trusting his team to win the game. Team believes coach has their back, excitement level is still high. 

Or....be a pussy. Bet on mistake prone team to not make mistakes on O and D (and special teams). Win, team is exhausted. Lose, team is demoralized. 

This - and he made this decision twice. He had two chances to win that game by making 3 yards. And he played for the tie both times. 

Tom lost me last year, not during the 2020 OU game; but these are exactly the types of decisions that affirm my belief that his coaching instincts are subpar and are unlikely to ever change. He has a knack for getting aggressive when he shouldn't and turtling when he should get aggressive.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas