Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

20 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Go back and you'll find a bunch of Yay Herman after the last minute victory over KU. It is pretty fucking astounding.

that was the game I knew he was done.  KU came in with grass eater and a brand new OC 2 weeks in and Orlando had no fucking idea what to do and never adjusted at all throughout the game.

that said, the transitive property in college football is dangerous.  Baylor loses to Tech at Baylor if not for some ridiculously poor officiating.  we pounded Tech(after our usual 1Q shitshow on D).

we are just watching the sand drain through the hourglass for the next 2 years.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

I will plant my flag in the camp of let’s see what changes Herman makes and how he handles the areas of weakness.  Calling for him to be fired at this point is way over reacting in my opinion. 

Over reacting. Guess you haven't been watching this team over the last two months. I know Herman is a fairly young coach, but have you seen any growth with this team this year or specifically with the head coach.

Lets not keep repeating history. About ten years ago we had a chance to move to a generational type coach, but Mack fucked that up. We owe Herman nothing at this time to have another chance to hire another great coach. Just think what Meyer could accomplish here over the next 10 years. We would not only keep the best players in Texas, but across the country. You would be looking at a top 2 type class every year. No, lets just sit on our fucking hands again and watch him go to USC. Also, A&M and LSU are going to pretty tough to deal with over the next several years on the recruiting trail.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Actually, USC is probably keeping Helton since he actually got them to 9-4 with a 3rd string QB so we probably aren't "losing" Urban to them. 

Hey, lets not take that chance. That is the type of attitude we need to move on from. We are the University of Texas. Lets fucking at like it for a change.

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

Hey, lets not take that chance. That is the type of attitude we need to move on from. We are the University of Texas. Lets fucking at like it for a change.

I love this shit. Unless you're a high money donor who has the ear of the powers that be, no one gives a shit what you think or who you want as HFBC. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Over reacting. Guess you haven't been watching this team over the last two months. I know Herman is a fairly young coach, but have you seen any growth with this team this year or specifically with the head coach.

Lets not keep repeating history. About ten years ago we had a chance to move to a generational type coach, but Mack fucked that up. We owe Herman nothing at this time to have another chance to hire another great coach. Just think what Meyer could accomplish here over the next 10 years. We would not only keep the best players in Texas, but across the country. You would be looking at a top 2 type class every year. No, lets just sit on our fucking hands again and watch him go to USC. Also, A&M and LSU are going to pretty tough to deal with over the next several years on the recruiting trail.

So what if we don’t get Myer
You write that like we are making a choice between Myer and Herman. 
10 years ago which generational coach did TEXAS pass on?

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I love this shit. Unless you're a high money donor who has the ear of the powers that be, no one gives a shit what you think or who you want as HFBC. 

I guess you are on the the Herman train. Lets say he stays for another year and somewhat cleans house. Theoretically we win 9-10 games next year. Do we still keep Herman? Yes. There goes your chance at Meyer and we keep a sub-par coach. We can and should do better.

Hopefully we have some high money donors in the the powers that be ears, other than me😁

1 minute ago, crum said:

i've had the chance to talk to and hear cdc a few times, he is against the movement for shorter leashes of 3 years for coaches and believes ~5 years is what it takes to evaluate a coach's effectiveness. 

5 years? At Texas? Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’ll be looking for a new AD if Tom delivers another 2 years of 7-5.

1 hour ago, crum said:

i've had the chance to talk to and hear cdc a few times, he is against the movement for shorter leashes of 3 years for coaches and believes ~5 years is what it takes to evaluate a coach's effectiveness. 

That's all well and good, but if you pass on the chance for a homerun like Meyer due to some slavish loyalty to a 5 year quota, then you damn sure better have a new homerun hire identified and ready to come in at that point or CDC should expect for his ass to be next out the door.

You should never be so inflexible in your strategy that you fail to accept a lucky break when handed to you just because it isn't what you had planned.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Just want to re-iterate that letting this guy re-build his staff after year 3 instead of hiring Urban is a massive mistake.

of course it is but then how would you get "stability".  I say 2 coaches, maybe 3, get fired because firing half your staff doesn't show stability but firing a couple is just improving on what is there.

CDC is going to fly this plane into the ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crum said:

doesn't surprise me in the least. the same old Texas. our last 4 hirings in the big 3 have been so Texas.  we got Augie because Dodds called him to ask about other coaches and he said "what about me?"  we were going to go for a Pierce type again.   Pierce made the CWS but I maintain it was all Kody Clemens "Brooks Keischnick" impression.  

We'll never know if a BMD(CDC wouldn't for deniability) reached out to UM's agent but I find it unlikely.  CDC is "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".  Its unfortunate.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Smith2 said:

fyar mack brown

fyar charlie stong

fyar tom herman 

maybe the texas program ain't that good? Gameday crew alluded to this....

Maybe Alabama just wasn't that good when they wanted to fire Shula to get Saban, after a string of failed coaches.  Yeah, the fans of that program just need to accept their mediocrity cause they'll never be great again.

Oh wait....

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Fuck the Big12 that a team as shitty as us could somehow end up in 3rd place.

Calm your tits, its a 4 way tie so its as easy as being in the 3rd place or even seventh place out of ten. And that for a school with the largest athletic budget in the world.

3 hours ago, ckhorn said:

I guess you are on the the Herman train. Lets say he stays for another year and somewhat cleans house. Theoretically we win 9-10 games next year. Do we still keep Herman? Yes. There goes your chance at Meyer and we keep a sub-par coach. We can and should do better.

Hopefully we have some high money donors in the the powers that be ears, other than me😁

No, I'm on the reality train. He's not getting fired. Had he lost to Kansas and Tech then he would be out. He's getting a layup year. That's how things shake out when you have a buyout as large as his. Do I think he should or think it's right, not really. But I've come to accept the way Texas works as how it is versus how I wish it to be.

Edited by mdmost

5 hours ago, John Smith2 said:

fyar mack brown

fyar charlie stong

fyar tom herman 

maybe the texas program ain't that good? Gameday crew alluded to this....

What does this even mean? I mean yeah, if you are firing coaches your program probably isn't doing great. 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

doesn't surprise me in the least. the same old Texas. our last 4 hirings in the big 3 have been so Texas.  we got Augie because Dodds called him to ask about other coaches and he said "what about me?"  we were going to go for a Pierce type again.   Pierce made the CWS but I maintain it was all Kody Clemens "Brooks Keischnick" impression.  

We'll never know if a BMD(CDC wouldn't for deniability) reached out to UM's agent but I find it unlikely.  CDC is "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".  Its unfortunate.

Uhm, the story long spun is that Augie was the first and only choice.  

Having said that getting Savage out of UCLA is still my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice...

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

But that is not what cdc did.  He evaluated herm after 2 years and decided to extend him 2 years.  Do what you say..wait until 5 years are up.  

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

That's not how Augie got hired according to Bill Little.   But your point is valid and taken.  

Also---what is now the official party line on Mack?  He technically "resigned", no?  

It doesn't sound like the administration has enough trust in Herman to choose a staff, because, you know, he already proved his value there.  If the locker room is a fractured disaster now, imagine if they intervene on his staff selection or outright choose them for him.  That will be Hitler's bunker from the start.  We just recently watched the "reshuffle the staff" strategy with Charlie Strong.  If the rumors about the current levels of strife among the players is true then we already know what 2020 will resemble.  Spoiler Alert:  we just saw this movie and the ending sucked.  Imagine being a coordinator and coming into this situation unaware whether or not you were chosen by the head coach.  Prior to hitting the ground running you'd be tempted to try to get a feel for the nuances within the hierarchy of an already sinking ship and a doomed captain.    
And this is why I don't think there will be much change.

We'll have to go get hungry guys who are getting promotions and a shot to prove they belong. We'll be getting the defensive equivalent of Gilbert and Mattox and tellinng them to keep Giles and whomever... And hope they can get to the ccg or they'll be gone.

We're doomed.... (Unless it works)

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

A lot of the hate for Herm is from the Charlie fanboys.  They're out there.

Wrong. The TH hate is because he’s overrated arrogant trash who only cares about his yes men buddies catering to him than winning games. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, petscii said:

Uhm, the story long spun is that Augie was the first and only choice.  

Having said that getting Savage out of UCLA is still my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice...

I can admit to being wrong, but I thought it was Dodds calling him about coaches and then once we knew he was "available" he was the only choice.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas