Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

He's done here, it's just a shame he will get another year before we make the change--because that's how we do shit around here.

i mean, we obviously have a thing for Urban, we tried his DC, then his OC, and now the man himself is available for the next couple months or less.  Add me to the growing camp that thinks OU gets Urban after Riley goes to the NFL.  Only it's somewhere else because Jerry keeps Ginger another year.

Fuck

2 minutes ago, n64ra said:

" But I promise you, Jimbo Fisher’s record would be a lot better if he had Texas’ schedule than the one he currently has.”

Shut up, Paul. No he wouldn't.

After LSU  beats the ags by three TDs we'll have a common opponent to compare.  And the comparison won't look good for A&M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

He's done here, it's just a shame he will get another year before we make the change--because that's how we do shit around here.

i mean, we obviously have a thing for Urban, we tried his DC, then his OC, and now the man himself is available for the next couple months or less.  Add me to the growing camp that thinks OU gets Urban after Riley goes to the NFL.  Only it's somewhere else because Jerry keeps Ginger another year.

Fuck

Our thing seems to be hiring coaches based on one or two big games, or maybe one good season.  Skipping the useful evaluation.

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

So back in 2016 I saw the Kansas disaster at Wilies Grill and Icehouse on Highway 6 in Sugar Land. I will watch the Texas Tech game from there as well.

I watched it in a La Quinta in the Knox / Henderson section of Dallas. I'd go all the way back up there from Houston and watch the Tech game there if it would guarantee a regime change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Maybe Urban will decide to sit out another year and we can all take a breath.

I think it's possible. Seeing some people saying that USC's admin has let the AD know that Urban is a non-starter as a corch there. Besides, not even sure Helton gets fired at this point. What other jobs might be open that could entice Urban to come back if USC is out of the conversation and we still have Herman in 2020?

In fairness to Helton, the guy's taken a 3rd string QB and turned in a decent season. His bigger issue is USC's recruiting is pretty awful right now. They're in the 40s as far as their recruiting class and that shouldn't happen at USC. Imagine what happens this season if Sam had gotten hurt and we were down to our 3rd string QB. 

15 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
26 minutes ago, Tex Long said:
Speaking of USC, did Bru McCoy ever mention problems with coaching as one of his reasons for returning there/

I don't think he did, but it hasn't escaped me that his position group is rumored to be the one with the most discontent among current players. Wouldn't be shocking if that was a part of it.

Exactly, it's just assumed with meh

46 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think it's possible. Seeing some people saying that USC's admin has let the AD know that Urban is a non-starter as a corch there. Besides, not even sure Helton gets fired at this point. What other jobs might be open that could entice Urban to come back if USC is out of the conversation and we still have Herman in 2020?

Yeah, I have kind of ignored all the LA Times headlines about the USC scandals because I don't really care, but they seem... significant. I wonder if they go the squeaky clean route with this hire. James Franklin or Matt Campbell seem like pretty good options. Does Rhule have a Penn State out in his contract? <Preparing Baylor Troll Gun>

4 hours ago, El Hornarino said:

Our thing seems to be hiring coaches based on one or two big games, or maybe one good season.  Skipping the useful evaluation.

yep the one thing we got right was a guy in the top 10 multiple years who had the one team bugaboo.  we got the same guy and Vince(colt would have as well) put him over the top.  then we went back to the same old fucking ways.

it is too bad Darrell Royal aint walking through that door because we need him more than ever to find us a real coach.

too be honest, I think Mullen was the guy from Urban's tree but he's gone now.  he'll have the Georgia bugaboo but we won't be able to get him from Florida like we could take a guy from UNC. we got the wrong Urban OC.

Speaking of USC, did Bru McCoy ever mention problems with coaching as one of his reasons for returning there/

Yes there was a reference to the coach hardly acknowledging him, just like the comment from the dude who hear it in one of his classes from another player.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Why?

On the first sentence.

We agree on the second. Hell, if I knew it meant Tom getting fired I'd forgo my Hotel in Austin, my Mom's house in Dallas and join you while sleeping on the floor of that sleezy motel.

But why the hell were you there in the first fucking place?

Are you actually coming in for this disaster?  I was thinking about heading down to the old tailgate lots, and looking for free tickets thrown on the ground to get the whole family in.  I figure there won't be more than 50K in the stands to watch this game, free tix will be growing on trees.

Call me if you're around on Friday.

14 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Who were the other (any) finalists to take the job after Strong?    I don't recall.   The last 3 years are becoming more of a fog by the day.   Perhaps intentionally. 

Imo it was always gonna be strong.  That’s who bill wanted.   But the others were Franklin, mora, and briles.  

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh yeah. Herman was the only one. Supposedly it was in the works for over a year.

This is correct. I feel like the BMD's and Administration didn't want egg on their face again. Charlie was not our #1 choice to replace Mack.   From the media's perspective,  pulling Charlie from Louisville meant we missed out on top-level candidates.  I think BMDs were probably close to a deal with Mensa in the middle of Strong's 3rd year. The media noise about Herman negotiating with LSU was probably generated by his agent to get a sweeter deal at Texas.  Bottom line: we settled for hottest G5 coach to avoid potential embarrassment with another underwhelming hire. Joke's on us.

A trip down memory lane:

Strong a solid choice for Longhorns, but Texas doesn't do 'solid'

Texas wanted a home run in its search to replace Mack Brown. The Longhorns don't strike out with Charlie Strong, but they certainly expected a bigger name.

What you can't say is that Charlie Strong was Texas' first choice.

You can say that Jim Harbaugh wasn't interested, Jimbo Fisher was comfortable at Florida State and Nick Saban, well, who

knows what Nick Saban was thinking.

Agent Jimmy Sexton succeeded in getting his most high-profile client a raise. Meanwhile, Steve Patterson got Louisville's head coach.

The search could have been smoother, less public and ended with a bigger bang. Art Briles went from if-you-offer-I'll-accept to a self-serving I'm-staying statement on Friday. Jim Mora Jr.'s name was floated for a while but didn't stick.

So Texas went to Plan ... C? Sometimes Plan C works out, but Texas doesn't do Plan C. And that's what should bother Longhorns everywhere.

As I mentioned back in September it wasn't a good year for Texas to hire a coach.  That doesn't mean Strong isn't a good coach, because he is. It means he was available.

As someone no doubt mentioned to Strong, you don't turn down Tennessee and Texas in consecutive years and expect to climb the coaching ladder.

With Strong to be announced Sunday, the one thing you can say about the Texas search is that it's over. So while columnist Chip Brown's workload lessens, the angst ramps up.

Strong is a solid, but not a superstar, pick to replace Mack Brown. Texas needs a superstar, especially in these hyper-competitive times. The guy down the road, Briles, has a better quarterback, team and program than Texas, which sports the No. 1 budget in college sports.

That's one good reason why Strong is being paid essentially the same money as the guy he replaced. Strong is making $5 million a year to get the program back where Brown had it. That is, compete for Big 12 championships every year and national championships most years.

Can he? Well, there is less of a certainty about that than the names mentioned above.

Strong isn't quite the backup plan for the prom when the hot chick turns you down. He's not quite Bud Light when the bartender says they're out of Stella.

Charlie Strong is OK. He's got coaching chops, 37-15 in four years at Louisville. If not for his coaching skill, the Cardinals might not be in the ACC today. But he's not the slam dunk, the home run, we all expected.

Sorry, in the first big hire of his administration we'll have to reserve judgment on Patterson too.

Strong has coached at Florida, been a part of two championships at Florida, even beaten Florida (in last year's Sugar Bowl). Now he has to win in Texas, win the hearts, the minds, the recruits ... the regents. That means becoming a Texas guy, not a Florida guy. Brown quickly made Orangebloods forget he was a native Tennessean who had just come from North Carolina.

It's not enough just coaching Texas. You've got to navigate political land mines each day. One day you might get a call from the governor. The next you might get a call from the best quarterback prospect in the country looking for a home.

You better be able to schmooze Rick Perry and Jameis Winston.

Strong is an easy guy to like. He doesn't necessarily like doing the public -- meaning, media -- thing, from all appearances. That's OK if you're at Louisville. If you're at Texas, you're the face of the program.

You're also beholden to the Longhorn Network, which has provided neither widespread exposure nor tangible evidence of wins. Like most coaches, Strong will have no use for what doesn't help him score points.

Brown once told me his media commitments on Monday lasted from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. That kind of routine might make Strong spontaneously combust. Let's hope he has enough leverage in contract negotiations to keep the LHN out of his way.

It starts with finding a quarterback, preferably from Texas. That ultimately was Brown's downfall. Texas hasn't had a serviceable QB essentially since Colt McCoy in 2009.

Strong wasn't Texas' first choice but the governor, the regents, the fans and the network would settle for a facsimile of a possible No. 1 NFL Draft choice.

Is there a Teddy Bridgewater out there anywhere?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/strong-a-solid-choice-for-longhorns-but-texas-doesnt-do-solid/

So if our timing was bad to fire Mack and find his replacement, now is the RIGHT time to cut our losses with Mensa to get Urban. 

Edited by Shaggy3.0

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Why?

On the first sentence.

We agree on the second. Hell, if I knew it meant Tom getting fired I'd forgo my Hotel in Austin, my Mom's house in Dallas and join you while sleeping on the floor of that sleezy motel.

But why the hell were you there in the first fucking place?

Work assignment, and back in my drinking days, when in strange towns, I liked more to be near enough to bars and a liquor store that I could leave my car in the lot and stagger to both. Which came in handy that night.

• Like 1

It's an older read but the article below about Rhule should be required reading for everyone.   The fact that he has pulled this off inTexas without having any roots in the state is both amazing, and nauseating, at the same time.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/10/02/-they-are-the-standard-how-baylor-coach-matt-rhule-won-over-texas-high-school-football-coaches

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 3:12 PM, Chad said:

Any y'all remember when we all laughed at the aggy when they played  Clemson for calling a timeout down by 21 with 6 seconds remaining? Then Tom Herman turns around and does the exact same thing against Baylor down by 21 with 5 seconds remaining. Get that goof the fuck out of here.

Losing I can handle. Making us look silly compared to aggy?   Fuck off, Herman.

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I’d give it a 50% chance. I would like to think that CDC or at least a BMD is kicking the tires on Urban in the event that Tech beats us. Losing to Tech at home on T+1? That’s fireable, IMO. We’ll see I guess. 

I don’t think big decisions like that are contingent on one Saturday. Winning or losing to Tech won’t move the needle on Herman’s future.

He should be fired and Urban should be hired, but there’s a 0% chance Herman is fired.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If Herman finishes 6-7, is he fired ?

No, he is not fired.  Unless after one of those two losses, he were to pull some childish bullshit at a press conference or with his players.  

But the writing is on the wall, and he knows it.  Next year is going to be an even tougher Big XII, and his schedule is not favorable.  He's staring at a 6-6/7-5 regular season next year (and that's assuming he makes some positive changes in the off-season).  He's done after 2020, SEZ fundraising campaign or not.  

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t think big decisions like that are contingent on one Saturday. Winning or losing to Tech won’t move the needle on Herman’s future.

He should be fired and Urban should be hired, but there’s a 0% chance Herman is fired.

Strong’s tenure was contingent on Kansas. We win, he’s probably still here the next season. I think his seat would be en fuego if we lose Friday 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No, he is not fired.  Unless after one of those two losses, he were to pull some childish bullshit at a press conference or with his players.  

But the writing is on the wall, and he knows it.  Next year is going to be an even tougher Big XII, and his schedule is not favorable.  He's staring at a 6-6/7-5 regular season next year (and that's assuming he makes some positive changes in the off-season).  He's done after 2020, SEZ fundraising campaign or not.  

Yay! A throw away year!!!

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wow. Someone is choosing to ignore the inside info of Lotus Horn and some noob Surly poster with 26 posts. spacer.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

He should be fired if he finishes the regular season 7-5 or worse.  Unfortunately, he probably won't be.

He definitely won't be fired. All of you need to come to grips with that. He's going to get a layup year and the ability to shuffle his coordinators and staff. 

16 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Riley also made the difficult choice of firing Mike Stoops last season and then make the right choice by bringing in Alex Grinch to lead the defense

I'd say the jury is still out on that one. The Buckeye D got better when he left and we all saw the KSU game. Nobody in Columbus misses Grinch. I'm not sure why anyone would hire a defensive coach from WSU in the first place. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas