Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

The best way to "impose our will" on our opponents is by utilizing Scoreboard Control.

IDGAF if we finish second in every game, in terms of yards gained, time of possession, turnover margin, etc etc etc... as long as we win Scoreboard. That's what matters, and that's about the only fucking thing that does matter.

9 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Nothing for them to be scared of.  We'll show the usual inaction and give TH another year or two while Meyer goes to win championships somewhere else.  Then we'll finally figure out TH is a failure and should have been fired now.  Instead we will have wasted a year or two of everyone's life and playing career, missed out on the transcedent coaching hire, and pick between the various 2nd tier hit or miss coaches available at that time that we'll tell ourselves is the real deal because he fits our standards.

Rinse and repeat every few years.

It's what we do.  Nothing for them to worry about.

Depressing but true

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Again, really wanting to see the offensive genius we were promised at head coach. I mean the guy can't tailor his offense to do something else when he's missing something like a good blocking TE? 

Many coaches would rather get fired and fade into obscurity than adjust their system. They get much more satisfaction out of blaming their players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

The best way to "impose our will" on our opponents is by utilizing Scoreboard Control.

IDGAF if we finish second in every game, in terms of yards gained, time of possession, turnover margin, etc etc etc... as long as we win Scoreboard. That's what matters, and that's about the only fucking thing that does matter.

This is exactly the wrong mentality to have.

We have access to he best recruiting talent in the state of Texas. We should be trying to blow our opponents off the scoreboard a la Oklahoma, instead of regressing into the "A one point win = a 100-point win" mentality that causes us to turtle with a late lead.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Follow-up from Boyd. Losing Andrew Beck really was a killer for our run game.

spacer.png

This is my biggest problem.  If you HAVE to have a TE to make this offense work, we should have five or six on the roster to see what works.  Why didn’t we find a transfer with some weight and experience.  

Man I am so sick of this shit.  

Edited by jinx
Or what @bschoolprof said
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is exactly the wrong mentality to have.

We have access to he best recruiting talent in the state of Texas. We should be trying to blow our opponents off the scoreboard a la Oklahoma, instead of regressing into the "A one point win = a 100-point win" mentality that causes us to turtle with a late lead.

Not sure who you were addressing there, amigo.

56 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So the entire Herman offense hinges on the blocking of the TE (which seems hard to believe), and Herman responds by recruiting a bunch of jags that can’t block, and gives them a demoted coach who couldn’t pour piss out of a boot with the instructions printed on the heel. Very Mensa. 

1D checkers

• Like 1

I look forward to Fenves having to beg an OC to sign on here again.  I would like to see the list of coaches who went on to succeed at their current school after turning over over half their staff in the first 3 years because of poor performance.  2020 will be a wasted year that will also have cost us a shot at Urban.  It will be a double nut shot.

• Like 2

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

please tell me someone is recording this lhn gameday and just caught therm rearranging his package on live tv while walking over to hug the minister.

In the litany of embarrassing things Herman has done (besides game results) this doesn't sound like it would rank very high.

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Fenves won't be begging anyone as we have a real AD now to do the begging. 

I don't know how that goes in a situation like this.

Will CDC have to approve someone Tom hires,  or will CDC give Tom a short list and say find someone froths list and we'll pay him? 

I can't imagine any top shelf OC just dreaming about coming to work for Tom Herman.  

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I don't know how that goes in a situation like this.

Will CDC have to approve someone Tom hires,  or will CDC give Tom a short list and say find someone froths list and we'll pay him? 

I can't imagine any top shelf OC just dreaming about coming to work for Tom Herman.  

CDC is involved with FB, meets with staff every Sunday. He knows he'll be judged by FB and that success in FB is the only way for him to get everything he wants for the AD done. That scholarship endowment is not getting done with out FB being a top 10 team.

Dumbest shit ever. They telling everyone about how important staff stability is while at the same time talking about replacing half of the staff.

The problem is that we're fixated (based on cdc's comments) on preventing back to back three year stints.

It's true that having a bunch of sequential three year stints is not the road to success. What they're missing is that the way you break that cycle is by hiring the right guy in year one.

Hiring the wrong guy and refusing to fire him in year three because you've magically decided three year coaching stints is the root of our problem is treating the symptom. Having continual three year engagements means you suck at hiring, not that you're firing too quickly.

No one can possibly rationalize how keeping the wrong coach for an extra year does anything other than harm the program. Yet that's what we're going to do, because we've decided this mythical "stability" factor will make us great, even if the coaching sucks.
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Urban going in dry on recruiting but not developing. Comparing NFL draft numbers despite similar level recruiting. 46 in 5 years for Bama.  40 for Ohio St.  13 for Texas, which is honestly more than I thought.  

I remember seeing a story on LHN during the Mack years that towards the end of his time here scouts were barely paying attention to Texas. 

17 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Urban going in dry on recruiting but not developing. Comparing NFL draft numbers despite similar level recruiting. 46 in 5 years for Bama.  40 for Ohio St.  13 for Texas, which is honestly more than I thought.  

Every single person including fucking Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart were absolutely correct in what they said about coaching and developing being basically non existent. 

This isn't a down year. A down year you can recover from. This is quitting by everyone at every level. Nobody out there is trying to get better. Nobody out there is invested. You can't just call it a season and show up next year with everyone bought back in. He's totally lost the team and they aren't coming back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

This isn't a down year. A down year you can recover from. This is quitting by everyone at every level. Nobody out there is trying to get better. Nobody out there is invested. You can't just call it a season and show up next year with everyone bought back in. He's totally lost the team and they aren't coming back.

This team has quit.  The coaches have quit.  There is no coming back when the team quits on the head coach.  This is a very talented team that is about to lose 3 straight in an embarrassing fashion.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas