Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Regarding Urban Meyers possible assistants - here is a rundown of some guys that worked under him previously (not including current Texas staff Ash/Drayton/Herman or, formerly, Beck/Strong.  Also not including any assistants currently HC - Adazzio/Holliday/Mullen/Day/Schiano)

Kevin Wilson - former Indiana HC was hired as OC/TE coach by Urban at Ohio St.  Still OC at OSU but Ryan Day calls the plays.

Billy Gonzales - was the WR coach for Urban during the Florida years.  Currently the WR/Co-OC for Florida 

Tony Alford - Hired to Urban's Ohio St staff in 2015.  Has coached RB and WR - is currently the AHC/RB for the Buckeyes under Day.

John Hevesy - longtime OL coach who was with Urban at Florida.  Has been with Dan Mullen since 2001, seems unlikely that he'd leave to come to Texas

Ed Warriner - won a national title with Urban at Ohio ST as the OL coach - serves in same role for Harbaugh and the Wolverines.  Warriner's son plays for the Wolverines.

Greg Studrawa - was Meyer's OL coach at Bowling Green and was hired on Meyers staff at Ohio St.  Still the Ohio ST OL coach under Day.

Corey Dennis - Urban's son in law is the current QB coach at Ohio St.  I'd expect him to be offered a job at Texas.

Randall Joyner - was a grad assistant at Ohio St under Meyer.  Learned under longtime great DL coach Larry Johnson Sr.  Currently DL coach at SMU

Larry Johnson - arguably the best DL coach in college football.  Longtime Penn ST. coach left that university to be on Meyer's staff at Ohio St.

Billy Davis - longtime NFL LB coach left the Arizona Cardinals to join Meyer's staff at Ohio St.  Left after two years to return to the NFL.

Chuck Heater - DB coach and then Co-DC under Urban at Florida.  Currently the DC at Colorado St.

Mickey Marotti - Urban Meyers strength coach

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

If the number is 10, give him 12 and lets be done with it. People are already near 10 and 12 will be in the distance in a few years. 

If we are going to hire nurses for the sidelines, sounds like we will be near 12 already.  I say we toss that in as a paid perk.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding Urban Meyers possible assistants - here is a rundown of some guys that worked under him previously (not including current Texas staff Ash/Drayton/Herman or, formerly, Beck/Strong.  Also not including any assistants currently HC - Adazzio/Holliday/Mullen/Day/Schiano)

Kevin Wilson - former Indiana HC was hired as OC/TE coach by Urban at Ohio St.  Still OC at OSU but Ryan Day calls the plays.

Billy Gonzales - was the WR coach for Urban during the Florida years.  Currently the WR/Co-OC for Florida 

Tony Alford - Hired to Urban's Ohio St staff in 2015.  Has coached RB and WR - is currently the AHC/RB for the Buckeyes under Day.

John Hevesy - longtime OL coach who was with Urban at Florida.  Has been with Dan Mullen since 2001, seems unlikely that he'd leave to come to Texas

Ed Warriner - won a national title with Urban at Ohio ST as the OL coach - serves in same role for Harbaugh and the Wolverines.  Warriner's son plays for the Wolverines.

Greg Studrawa - was Meyer's OL coach at Bowling Green and was hired on Meyers staff at Ohio St.  Still the Ohio ST OL coach under Day.

Corey Dennis - Urban's son in law is the current QB coach at Ohio St.  I'd expect him to be offered a job at Texas.

Randall Joyner - was a grad assistant at Ohio St under Meyer.  Learned under longtime great DL coach Larry Johnson Sr.  Currently DL coach at SMU

Larry Johnson - arguably the best DL coach in college football.  Longtime Penn ST. coach left that university to be on Meyer's staff at Ohio St.

Billy Davis - longtime NFL LB coach left the Arizona Cardinals to join Meyer's staff at Ohio St.  Left after two years to return to the NFL.

Chuck Heater - DB coach and then Co-DC under Urban at Florida.  Currently the DC at Colorado St.

Good stuff, thanks. Would be interested to see how many of those guys would leave Day at OSU to link back up with Urban if given the chance. 

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Would love to steal away Brian Hartline for WR coach  although probably doubtful with his ties to OSU. Joyner would be a beast and help lock down DFW. Dennis is a given, best guess

HC- Meyer

QB/OC- Dennis (Obvious hire but might get a bump up to OC as well)

RB- Drayton, sorry @golfclap

WR- Zach Smith available? kidding, maybe Gonzales can be swayed

TE- Whats ol Brewster up to nowadays?

OL- Studrawa, really id take anyone over Hand

DE-Joyner (seems like a lock)

DT- Not sure but I dont think OSU would let Johnson leave

LB- Davis (might need a CO-DC title or something, not sure how hes viewed in the nfl)

CB/Bagman- Valai

DC/S- Ash

Edited by RGBIII
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

5 yrs/50 million has always seemed like the most likely contract value, I do wonder about his health and I’m also curious if he’s just trying to get a raise from Fox, but we absolutely need to put that money on the table and make him say no. 

We’d be complete dumbasses not to give that to him. Our Football revenue and Athletics donations will dwarf that increase in no time once we start winning double digit games every year. 

Once you factor in buyouts and contracts and getting paid for seasons they didn't work for us, each of the last two coaches have basically cost Texas $10M/annually. Why not give that to Urban, who has won three national titles and would be a substantial upgrade over Strong and Herman?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Good stuff, thanks. Would be interested to see how many of those guys would leave Day at OSU to link back up with Urban if given the chance. 

Read somewhere that Marotti (S&C) and his Player Personnel / Football Ops guy (~40 yr old w Italian name) were the guys that UM really wants to have.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Read somewhere that Marotti (S&C) and his Player Personnel / Football Ops guy (~40 yr old w Italian name) were the guys that UM really wants to have.

That's according to the Ohio guy FCB interviewed on his podcast. Same guy also said Urbs and Therm had the same agent, which apparently is no longer true, so take it for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

That's according to the Ohio guy FCB interviewed on his podcast. Same guy also said Urbs and Therm had the same agent, which apparently is no longer true, so take it for what it's worth.

I thought I read in the last day or so that Urban doesn't currently have an agent. I find that hard to believe since he's not retired and is working in TV.

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Seems like a step down from the Kevin Wilson / Ryan Day pairing. Is he old enough to rent a car?

He’d almost definitely still be hiring a co-OC who would probably function more as the true OC, just like Meyer had Wilson and Day on the same staff. I highly doubt he’d make Dennis the lone OC. 

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

No direct Urban connection (tangentially through Charlie I guess) but maybe we finally land the Longhorn message board white whale DL coach?
image.thumb.jpeg.8768490f395843c77d265c4e776434c2.jpeg

Clint Hurtt’s show-cause has to have expired by now right?

Can he play DL for us?

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The guy was a GA/QC for 4 years, before being made the QB coach THIS year.  So he has - at this point - 0 games of coaching experience.  

Ya that was more of a “leverage” type guess. Doubt he would be the lone OC. I’m still not convinced he actually lets Yurcich go

34 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Mickey Marotti and Mark Pantoni.  Pantoni is Director of Player Personnel at Ohio State.  He's as fanatical about and works as hard at recruiting as Urban Meyer.  Losing those two guys would hurt a lot although, no offense intended, switching to Texas from Ohio State at this point is at best a lateral move IMO.  Kevin WIlson would hurt as well but Day is the quarterback whisperer so I think that loss could be absorbed pretty easily.  Meyer's son-in-law would probably leave and I don't see that as a blow.

I don't see anyone else on the staff as a possibility and with Meyer's ties to the program and the state of Ohio I'm not sure how hard he'd press for anyone other than those I mentioned.  JMO.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Lets hope WIlson would want to come here to run this offense.

Ehhh. Maybe. He got fired from IU for mistreatment if players and forcing them back too fast after concussions. That would definitely create potential for issues between Meyer and the AD. 

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

People are saying urban may want to keep ash on as DC? Count me as one who fails to see any improvement by the defense. Why the fuck would we want to keep him here?

People only say that because of comments made on TV. I’m not convinced he’d actually keep him. But if he did, I have no doubt Ash would perform better with Meyer as the HC instead of Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Mickey Marotti and Mark Pantoni.  Pantoni is Director of Player Personnel at Ohio State.  He's as fanatical about and works as hard at recruiting as Urban Meyer.  Losing those two guys would hurt a lot although, no offense intended, switching to Texas from Ohio State at this point is at best a lateral move IMO.  Kevin WIlson would hurt as well but Day is the quarterback whisperer so I think that loss could be absorbed pretty easily.  Meyer's son-in-law would probably leave and I don't see that as a blow.

I don't see anyone else on the staff as a possibility and with Meyer's ties to the program and the state of Ohio I'm not sure how hard he'd press for anyone other than those I mentioned.  JMO.

But I want Larry Johnson too!

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh. Maybe. He got fired from IU for mistreatment if players and forcing them back too fast after concussions. That would definitely create potential for issues between Meyer and the AD. 

People only say that because of comments made on TV. I’m not convinced he’d actually keep him. But if he did, I have no doubt Ash would perform better with Meyer as the HC instead of Herman. 

Forgot all about that - yeah, probably moved to the 'not likely' side of the paper.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean if Urban wants to die on our sidelines that's a risk I'm certainly willing to take. He could have just as easily caught a stray bullet from Aaron Hernandez. He's living on borrowed time. 

Wouldn’t be the first D1 coach in Texas to die on the sidelines. 
https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/31/archives/stricken-at-game-tcu-coach-dies-pittman-coach-at-tcu-dead.html

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

5 yrs/50 million has always seemed like the most likely contract value, I do wonder about his health and I’m also curious if he’s just trying to get a raise from Fox, but we absolutely need to put that money on the table and make him say no. 

We’d be complete dumbasses not to give that to him. Our Football revenue and Athletics donations will dwarf that increase in no time once we start winning double digit games every year. 

I've wondered how long Urban wants to stay on that FOX pregame show since he is working with a bunch of idiots...

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas