Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It was on page 267 that everything collapsed into shit, and then 268 began the process of smearing it across the entire Surly poster base's face. Dabo Swinney? Rehiring Chuckles? We're devolving into bargaining over whether or not we could get Harsin and if he'd be able to recruit here? Urban Meyer hasn't even mooned us and flipped us off yet. Tom Herman hasn't even been shown the door and we've fallen all the way from comparing Kim Kardashian clones to wondering openly about the ability to bring in Dabo Swinney.

This has all coincided with your return to the board.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

This Dabo stuff is pathetic. Whoever is putting this out there needs to be banished from sports media. Dabo is going to leave the program that gave him a shot, and that he has built into a juggernaut, to come rescue us from our dumpster fire?

We are Tennessee at this point. We should be good, but the football gods have cursed us to wonder the plains of mediocrity for an unknown number of years as payment for the 1999-2009 run.
I thought Sam had eliminated the curse when he beat UGA, but Bevo failed to kill Uga and thus the SEC mythical god of jinx was only injured but came back even stronger.

As a Longhorn fan that lives in Nashville and has to deal with annoying Tennessee fans all the time, I am staunchly opposed to this comparison. Tennessee's most recent national championship appearance was 11 years before our most recent appearance. I'm obviously not happy with the state of our program, but I argue all the time that we're not even close to being on Tennessee's level.   

I remember liking Harsin at the time, but after revisiting stats for those years its kind of meh. Maybe just because I was so relieved to be done with Greg Davis/Major Applewhite? Anyways, clearly there was marked improvement, but I'm not sure how much of that was also just the comparison to the abortion of an offense and garret gilbert in 2010 compared to ash/mccoy of 2011 and 2012.  His play calling sure seemed infinitely better and more creative than what we had the year before.

In 2010 prior to Harsin we were 58th in yards per game at 382 yards per game and 86th in ppg at 23.1ppg.

In 2011 with Harsin as OC we were 50th in yards per game at 392 yards per game and 55th in points at 28.1 ppg.

In 2012 with Harsin we were 37th in yards per game with 434 yards/game and 37th in points at 35.7 ppg.  

I was thinking almost the exact same. Harsin had the distinct advantage of following Greg Davis, meaning almost no matter what he'd be a hero to Texas fans. He also wasn't Major, so not viewed as Mack's security blanket. 

To his credit, he accomplished some pretty amazing things with fairly limited personnel, especially under center. I think that's his specialty, getting maximum production out of limited personnel.

What I'm not convinced of is that he can 1) recruit competitively at a P5 program, or 2) get maximum production out of top tier talent. He's never been asked to do either and I'd rather not be the guinea pig on those questions.

13 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

As a Longhorn fan that lives in Nashville and has to deal with annoying Tennessee fans all the time, I am staunchly opposed to this comparison. Tennessee's most recent national championship appearance was 11 years before our most recent appearance. I'm obviously not happy with the state of our program, but I argue all the time that we're not even close to being on Tennessee's level.   

We are 2 weeks away from being Tennessee.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It was on page 267 that everything collapsed into shit, and then 268 began the process of smearing it across the entire Surly poster base's face. Dabo Swinney? Rehiring Chuckles? We're devolving into bargaining over whether or not we could get Harsin and if he'd be able to recruit here? Urban Meyer hasn't even mooned us and flipped us off yet. Tom Herman hasn't even been shown the door and we've fallen all the way from comparing Kim Kardashian clones to wondering openly about the ability to bring in Dabo Swinney.

What about Jimmy Johnson?  He is only 77

18 hours ago, Fug said:

I was listening to Ryan rusillo’s podcast 2 weeks ago and he had Matt Leinart who was asked if urban would return to coaching. He quickly said no, not sure if that was recorded before or after the OU game though. 

Leinart is trying to throw up smokescreens. He’s peddling a bullshit narrative because he wants Meyer at USC.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

What I'm not convinced of is that he can 1) recruit competitively at a P5 program, or 2) get maximum production out of top tier talent. He's never been asked to do either and I'd rather not be the guinea pig on those questions.

Anyone that can coach competently and win some games is going to kill it recruiting at Texas.  They'll recruit well their first 2 years even if they are wildly incompetent at everything else.

Just because we've hired two shitty G5 coaches doesn't mean they're all bad.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  KSU is going to kick our ass in a few weeks with their new coach from  NAIA.

19 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

If someone has already pasted this, my apologies.  If not, enjoy.......

New Surly spokesman ?

For the record, I was loudly responding, "WTF are we doing?!? What the fuck is Sam looking at? Does Sam not look at the field?" during that and a few other plays. Specifically, this tells me we are just a complete shit show and not keeping it simple. How is it that we are THIS undisciplined and underdeveloped with the experience we have on offense? It's just ridiculous at this point. Superior athletes in high school, come here and regress...for the last 10 years. How is it, that we cannot develop players? This head coach IS A JOKE. Fuck you, Herman. And Fuck you CDC if you don't recognize this shit and get a real football coach.  

Hallelujah! Where's the Tylenol? 

Edited by Droopy
Frustrated

As much as I hate to even talk about Texas A&M because they mean nothing to us other than in head to head recruiting. They are not, we’re not, and never will be our rivals. OU is the real enemy. How sad is it that TAMU looks like a program firing on all cylinders. A University that has spent a hundred years looking up to us and continually wants to be us, cannot be our rivals. They are  more like our regraded little cousin we assume was the result of alcohol induced encounter. Why are they and teams like Nebraska starting to look down their noses at us.  Something  needs to change and that change need to happen now. Damn you CDC, come out and say you got this. Something, anything, Say something  or I’m giving up on you.

• Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

As much as I hate to even talk about Texas A&M because they mean nothing to us other than in head to head recruiting. They are not, we’re not, and never will be our rivals. OU is the real enemy. How sad is it that TAMU looks like a program firing on all cylinders. A University that has spent a hundred years looking up to us and continually wants to be us, cannot be our rivals. They are  more like our regraded little cousin we assume was the result of alcohol induced encounter. Why are they and teams like Nebraska starting to look down their noses at us.  Something  needs to change and that change need to happen now. Damn you CDC, come out and say you got this. Something, anything, Say something  or I’m giving up on you.

Except getting blown out by Bama.  They are really killing it.  Just like we were firing on all cylinders moments before the Tech kickoff.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

JMO.  Urban Meyere is a program builder and that is what Texas needs.  None of the other names I've seen listed have that capability from what I've seen.

Ok but what are your thoughts on Urban Meyer? 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't disagree with most of your post. I merely stare in fucking wonderment at the concept of handing the controls of this site over to Rex Kramer. 

Rex Kramer asking for stupid posts to be a bannable offense is some real aggy-level self-awareness. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I would be one of maybe 2 people who would consider Beck as TE coach and Strong as DE coach.

I’d be perfectly happy with Beck as TE coach (assuming no OC duties). I have no doubt we’d have a 5 star TE sign with us in the very first class. 

Just imagining Strong coming back on Urban Meyer’s staff as a position coach is absolutely hilarious. It would be great entertainment value, and we all know Red McCombs would be a huge supporter of the move. That’d be a huge BB back in the box. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

You can always spot the aggy because they must spell Aggie or Texas A&M.  Darn those aggies for being so good!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Rex Kramer asking for stupid posts to be a bannable offense is some real aggy-level self-awareness. 

I’d be perfectly happy with Beck as TE coach (assuming no OC duties). I have no doubt we’d have a 5 star TE sign with us in the very first class. 

Just imagining Strong coming back on Urban Meyer’s staff as a position coach is absolutely hilarious. It would be great entertainment value, and we all know Red McCombs would be a huge supporter of the move. That’d be a huge BB back in the box. 

Isn’t Rex Kramer that racist guy from shaggy?

41 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

New Surly spokesman ?

I'm not coming here to clear Sam of a poor play on that 3rd and 1 because it was bad no matter how you look at it, but I don't think the decision to go deep is that terrible. The guys underneath are wide open but Bijan is three yards behind the defense. It's just a bad throw. Third and short is a great time to take deep shots if you're in four down territory, but the coach and QB have to be on the same page. Sam stayed on the field as if he thought they would go for it but then Tom punted. I think the underneath options are the right move, but if Bijan is the primary read on the play and he's open, then it makes sense for Sam to make the throw without going through his progressions. 

Anyways all I'm saying is that I understand where Sam is on that play. But it's a bad snap whether you hate the decision or the throw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

You can always spot the aggy because they must spell Aggie or Texas A&M.  Darn those aggies for being so good!

You are right "firing on all cylinders" in reference to an aggy team is only something an aggy would say. There is always something to shit on when it comes to aggy be it the team, the coaches, their turditions on the sidelines or from the fans. Hell one shits on the fact that we they are seeing now will not last for long.

50 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

New Surly spokesman ?

Blame Sam for the shitty throw - but the ball went exactly where the play designed it to go.  Bijan was open and had two steps on the defender - and that play was a designed deep toss as soon as Sam read the coverage.

And there's the rub. Where they're at on the field, they're probably not going for it, so you take the 1st down. 2nd and 1? No problem going deep. 
I've seen it said here over and over, our team is very bad at situational football.

At that point in that game we needed a sustained drive. The risk of giving the ball right back to ou and putting our tired defense back on the field was not worth trying a low percentage play. Sam running on 3rd and 1 is a high percentage play, sustains the drive, and gives momentum time to shift and our defense time to rest.

Instead we gambled on the low probability play, came up short, punted and put our d right back out there. I honestly don't care if Bijan was open, Sam missed him by a mile which tells me they're not yet in sync enough to take that risk. It was a bad call/bad decision all around.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

For the record, I was loudly responding, "WTF are we doing?!? What the fuck is Sam looking at? Does Sam not look at the field?" during that and a few other plays. Specifically, this tells me we are just a complete shit show and not keeping it simple. How is it that we are THIS undisciplined and underdeveloped with the experience we have on offense? It's just ridiculous at this point. Superior athletes in high school, come here and regress...for the last 10 years. How is it, that we cannot develop players? This head coach IS A JOKE. Fuck you, Herman. And Fuck you CDC if you don't recognize this shit and get a real football coach.  

Hallelujah! Where's the Tylenol? 

It is what it is, man...

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

tenor.gif

ComplexMelodicDodobird-small.gif

tenor.gif

BelovedInnocentGopher-small.gif

200.gif

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

SEC is not what it’s been. Florida was severely overrated because they’re a sexy pick. Still, Florida was beating Aggy the entire game. Did y’all watch the shit show vs Miss State? Lol. I totally get they’re doing okay, but “firing on all cylinders” is comical. 

Anyway, get Urban. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think he’s what is needed at a school like Texas.  He seemed to learn from his mistakes at Florida regarding recruiting players with character.  Obviously he’s an elite level recruiter and motivator.  While I believe he made a few bad choices regarding coaches and coordinators (Bill Davis, Alex Grinch and a couple others) for the most part his staff was as solid as they come.  He is loyal to a fault.  See Zach Smith as an example of that. 

No coach or person is perfect but there aren’t many coaches with a higher ceiling than Urban Meyer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not coming here to clear Sam of a poor play on that 3rd and 1 because it was bad no matter how you look at it, but I don't think the decision to go deep is that terrible. The guys underneath are wide open but Bijan is
. It's just a bad throw. Third and short is a great time to take deep shots if you're in four down territory, but the coach and QB have to be on the same page. Sam stayed on the field as if he thought they would go for it but then Tom punted. I think the underneath options are the right move, but if Bijan is the primary read on the play and he's open, then it makes sense for Sam to make the throw without going through his progressions. 
Anyways all I'm saying is that I understand where Sam is on that play. But it's a bad snap whether you hate the decision or the throw. 
You aren’t arguing for that particular spot being 4 down territory though are you? I agree that 3rd and 1 in four down territory is a good time to try to score, but shit he was on his own 35.
Blame Sam for the shitty throw - but the ball went exactly where the play designed it to go.  Bijan was open and had two steps on the defender - and that play was a designed deep toss as soon as Sam read the coverage.

It was definitely a terrible throw, good design and dumbass call. Take the first down.

2 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

Shut up, Clem. Birtch.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.11.40 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You aren’t arguing for that particular spot being 4 down territory though are you? I agree that 3rd and 1 in four down territory is a good time to try to score, but shit he was on his own 35.

It was definitely a terrible throw, good design and dumbass call. Take the first down.

I wouldn't hate it if we went for it. We were coming allowing a very long drive that wore our defense down. A three and out risked going down three scores with an exhausted defense. 

Sam is about as skilled as Helen Keller on deep passes to non senior year Devin Duvernay. Deep shots need to be taken every quarter, but they are far and away not our forte, and, even if Sam were a talented deep passer, our WR’s win contested catches at about as often as Tom Herman goes undefeated against the unranked teams on the schedule. 

We’re a pass first (short to intermediate),  Sam’s legs second and try not to fuck up inside zone or stretch third type of offense. Sam’s legs are the straw that stirs our drink keeping defenders either in conflict or undermanned with someone in the back 7 spying him. There it is. Go forth and score. 

The offense is largely there. By that I mean the plays are often their to be made, but we call them like we have Dwayne Haskins throwing instead of Sam. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas