Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Great question.

Things that we are apparently good with:

1. Hiring rape apologists as QC coaches.

2. Dealing with street agents trainers in recruiting

3. Pursuing a head coach who harbored/enabled a physically abusive, mentally unstable husband 

Things that we are apparently not good with:

1. The Eyes of Texas

2. Brain dead football teams

3. Arrogant, stubborn, narcissistic, incompetent coaches 

We should just say fuck it and hire Huge Freeze.

Well shit, since we’re playing Alabama in a few years, let’s go all out and hire Lane Kiffin. Nick Saban can yell at him from the opposite sideline while we’re getting our ass kicked and our players are flexing when the other team gets a first down.

William Belichick is currently only making $10 million per year. He is stuck in New England, but originally from Nashville, so Austin would definitely feel more like home. I know he hasn't proven himself at the college level and he is as old as Larry Johnson, but he has tons of football experience. I think he has the ability to make the transition and could possibly point to other successes in life to help him a little with recruiting. Although I know it is a little risky, I say, balls across the face, make him an offer he can't refuse. Of course, this is only if our top choice, Urban, turns us down.

• Like 1

This Notre Dame rumbling seems kinda interesting, I think. Not that Urban is actually angling for that job, but that maybe his side is floating all of this stuff to get Texas to shit or get off?

Then someone speaking about hearing Brian Kelly's name...  kinda interesting. 

*EDITED to add: Doubtful, as Kelly just signed an extension through 2024. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, Bevo said:

William Belichick is currently only making $10 million per year. He is stuck in New England, but originally from Nashville, so Austin would definitely feel more like home. I know he hasn't proven himself at the college level and he is as old as Larry Johnson, but he has tons of football experience. I think he has the ability to make the transition and could possibly point to other successes in life to help him a little with recruiting. Although I know it is a little risky, I say, balls across the face, make him an offer he can't refuse. Of course, this is only if our top choice, Urban, turns us down.

No way we hire him after spygate and deflate gate... Plus he and Aaron Hernandez were REALLY close..NTTAWWT

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I thought Kelly quietly signed a contract extension in May. I doubt ND would turn around and get rid of him to hire Meyer. I doubt Texas would swoop in and create a ND void for Meyer to fill. Sounds like bullshit.

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I thought Kelly quietly signed a contract extension in May. I doubt ND would turn around and get rid of him to hire Meyer. I doubt Texas would swoop in and create a ND void for Meyer to fill. Sounds like bullshit.

Damn, I think you're right. Appears he's there through 2024 now. Cannot find any buyout info yet. 

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Last month.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29869791/notre-dame-fighting-irish-extend-brian-kelly-contract-2024

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

For what its worth Brett McMurphy on Kirk Bohls' pod this morning said ND would be his first choice. Now that is just an opinion because there is zero chance that he has any  insider info on Urban after the Zach Smith saga he spear headed. 

Leverage goes both ways. And unless Kelly leaves for the NFL none of this shit matters anyway. He's under contract until 2024 and ND is currently 3rd in the AP however overrated anyone thinks they are. 

I doubt Texas and Urban are going to wait until after ND's season is done with to see if Kelly takes the Texans job (if he's even offered it) or another pending opening - I'm not super up to date on what NFL seats might be or become available. 

Kelly is not leaving ND to come to Texas. That would be the dumbest lateral move ever. If he did, sure, I guess Urban might go coach ND, but im guessing we have a better shot at Dabo or Saban or Shanahan than any of that coming remotely close to occurring.

9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I thought Kelly quietly signed a contract extension in May. 

Yes sir...contract reached in December, but announced in September according to this:

Notre Dame extends Kelly's contract through '24 https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29869791

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This Notre Dame rumbling seems kinda interesting, I think. Not that Urban is actually angling for that job, but that maybe his side is floating all of this stuff to get Texas to shit or get off?

Then someone speaking about hearing Brian Kelly's name...  kinda interesting. 

*EDITED to add: Doubtful, as Kelly just signed an extension through 2024. 

Brian Kelly, no thanks. I like our video coordinators.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29qm8upyw7yx2mo8bfw3

• Like 1

1st... Brian Kelly is 10 times the coach Herman is.  I'll gladly take Kelly over Mullen, Malzhan, Franklin, Cristobal.  As overrated his teams can be, atleast he has made the CFP and beats the teams he should.  He would turn our OL recruiting and actually develop them.

With that said, LMAO at thinking Kelly would consider Texas.  No coach at a blue blood with success is coming here.  Why leave a better situation for the hot mess Mack, Strong, Herman have left here.  

Here is how this needs to work.  

CDC:  "Urban, what would make you consider Texas?"

Meyer:  "10 mil a year plus ability to choose coordinators that may be pricey"

CDC:  "Deal"

It's that simple...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Belichick would be a great coordinator, but he’s no HC at the college level. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

1st... Brian Kelly is 10 times the coach Herman is.  I'll gladly take Kelly over Mullen, Malzhan, Franklin, Cristobal.  As overrated his teams can be, atleast he has made the CFP and beats the teams he should.  He would turn our OL recruiting and actually develop them.

With that said, LMAO at thinking Kelly would consider Texas.  No coach at a blue blood with success is coming here.  Why leave a better situation for the hot mess Mack, Strong, Herman have left here.  

It's that simple...

I think we are all going to be amazed how quick a coach like urban changes this team and roster.  There's talent on this roster, I refuse to think we signed only busts.  Herman has been telling these players that they are on the cusp when they aren't.  Coaches like Urban don't do that, too many details to correct before even talking like that.  

While Kelly is not coming here, he would recruit better at Texas than he has at ND, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

It's that simple...

I'd take Kelly.   I saw him when he was the HC at Grand Valley State when they were winning their DII National Champs.   They played their semi final game down in Kingsville when TAMUK had their program still going as D2 power.  Kelly was coaching ( IE directing the players) almost on every play.   He whooped the Javs by 30 points that afternoon.

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

F Baylor and anybody who roots for us to lose to them (or anybody else).

I'm not rooting for us to lose - I'm just pretty apathetic at this point about continuing to drag the Herman saga out. I'll take a Baylor loss if it means we aren't sweating beating the Kansas and ISUs of the world next season. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not rooting for us to lose - I'm just pretty apathetic at this point about continuing to drag the Herman saga out. I'll take a Baylor loss if it means we aren't sweating beating the Kansas and ISUs of the world next season. 

It's like being down 3-0 after 2 months in the NBA bubble. I'm not rooting to lose, but the thought that I'll get to go home and see my kids has crossed my mind.

• Like 2

Heres that full IT note

Spoiler

Recently in a post we mentioned how the signal to noise ratio gets worse the further we get from the embryonic stages of a possible coaching search. As the potential story grows, it tends to take on a life of its own.

We thought we’d offer a good example. Yesterday Gerry called me after hearing Brian Kelly’s name being floated. We laughed. I mentioned he very likely has a large buyout. Even with a small buyout....Brian Kelly? That doesn’t compute.

Then later in the day, I heard Kelly’s name as well, from an entirely different source in an entirely different part of the state.

Most of you are probably fuming at the mention of Kelly and won’t stop to understand it’s BS. The ‘who’ isn’t as important as the ‘why?’ Why are we hearing his name, on the same day, a few hours apart, from two entirely different parts of the state?

That’s fun to speculate. We know if Texas is to make a serious run at Urban Meyer, it would love to generate some sort of leverage, but that seems risky for obvious reasons and maybe not obvious reasons. He could just say, “cool, I’ll take Notre Dame.”

It’s hard to track down the genesis of this rumor, but it appears to be stemming from the outer reaches of the O&G donor group.

Misdirection (that’s when you’re expected to go one direction, but go in another, Tom), imo.

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I see it as a no lose situation

Texas wins, fuck ya! Go fuck yourselves Baylor!

Texas loses, fuck ya! Go fuck yourself Herman!

Against OU, before the comeback, I was so pissed, but at the same time kind of excited, 'cos "this is what they need to get Herman out the door, man!"

When Sam started leading the comeback, and you could kinda feel it coming, I remember saying to myself something similar to, "Oh great, now I gotta cheer for a comeback!" I wasn't going to cheer for them to lose (I was screaming for them to win), but I was almost upset that they were trying to ruin my fantasies. 

Weird feeling. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah he's not going to turn us down just because there's a long shot we hire Kelly instead and then hope ND wants him as a replacement.

His comments about looking at rosters are interesting though if he's thinking about us vs USC or others. Have to think we look pretty good there especially at the most important position (QB) even before Ewers.

And I can't imagine a new coach has ever walked into a job with an outstanding commitment from the #1 prospect in the next class..

If that's the case, our shit OL situation may be harmful.  But, we got the portal.

I’ve already said it, but Baylor has had all of 3 days to practice for this game. Texas has had 2 weeks. Add on top of that fact that Baylor sucks this year. 

Herman is a shitty coach. But he’s not shitty enough to lose to a terrible team with 3 days of practice. Anyone hoping for a loss will be sad on Saturday. You’ll get a 52 yard Dicker FG to win it as time expires, Herman and the Texas team erupting into jubilation like they accomplished something, and a @Michael Knight thread after calling the win & Herman’s coaching ability amazing, and like it. 

Just now, Helobious said:

I’ve already said it, but Baylor has had all of 3 days to practice for this game. Texas has had 2 weeks. Add on top of that fact that Baylor sucks this year. 

Herman is a shitty coach. But he’s not shitty enough to lose to a terrible team with 3 days of practice. Anyone hoping for a loss will be sad on Saturday. You’ll get a 52 yard Dicker FG to win it as time expires, Herman and the Texas team erupting into jubilation like they accomplished something, and a @Michael Knight thread after calling the win & Herman’s coaching ability amazing, and like it. 

get out GIF

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

doubt it schitts creek GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas