Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Bet your tv is on the game by 2:35p and you're sitting in front of it. It's ok, we all need it. This shit is the best drug you can get and it's terrible in the lows and so very awesome in the highs. Vicious cycle of pain and stress that we are all addicted to. Longhorn Football: The Best Upper Ever Made

For the last couple years I’ve usually watched something else but followed along the game thread. That way I can enjoy something while simultaneously getting kicked in the nuts. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We always play to the fucking competition. It could be a shitty team like Maryland or Kansas, a good team like LSU or OU, or an average team like Tech or TCU. Regardless of how good our opponent is, the game will always come down to the fucking wire for no fucking reason. At least half of our games are won or lost by one possession. That's fucked up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

We always play to the fucking competition. It could be a shitty team like Maryland or Kansas, a good team like LSU or OU, or an average team like Tech or TCU. Regardless of how good our opponent is, the game will always come down to the fucking wire for no fucking reason. At least half of our games are won or lost by one possession. That's fucked up.

Ya want the kids to have a good time out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

the reason for that is the gameday routine 

the kids are tired from waking up so early for games 

they need to be given more time to sleep no be forced to wake up at 5-6 am for an 11 am game 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

they need to be given more time to sleep no be forced to wake up at 5-6 am for an 11 am game 

We need the sleep routines of the opposing teams. We’d be unstoppable!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That doesn't make sense. If that were the explanation, then we would be consistently worse than we should be. But we're not! If we're playing a good team, then we play better. See LSU or OU. If we're playing a bad team, then we play poorly (Kansas, Maryland). We're rarely, if ever, dominant, but we play almost every team close, regardless of whether our opponent is good or bad. There is no logical explanation.

1 hour ago, TX SPLEEN said:

I just want Urbs hired, have him walk in any high school in Texas. Point at a 5 star kid and say you are with me, roll out and start winning championships. 

Strong post - not even 10 posts in.

11 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

The hell are you talking about?

Urban is the right hire BECAUSE he'll get his coordinators and supports staff hires right. And all other things. 
As in hiring people like Herman, and...wait for it...Tim Beck? Memories are short around here.

Having said that I'm still in on the Urban renewal plan, but expecting miracles right away might be a little unrealistic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

As in hiring people like Herman, and...wait for it...Tim Beck? Memories are short around here. Having said that I'm still in on the Urban renewal plan, but expecting miracles right away might be a little unrealistic.   

No matter what you think about Herman, Urban won a title with him. Kinda all that matters.   

You can have Beck. So thanks for your one example from Urban Meyer’s entire coaching career. (Obviously he’s not batting a thousand. You know what I meant).

Agree with your last statement.

They got a QB who is one hit away from being a ham sandwich but we such a cluster that the point spread drops. Awesome.

You realize what causes point spreads to move? At least for the most part. Everyone came in betting Branch Covidians to cover so the powers that be move the line to try and even out the money.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Chris Petersen makes more sense for them imo. In fact they went after him in '13 before going with Sark after Dark. 

this isn't directed at you specifically, just this is the latest Petersen post i've seen...

can someone explain to me why they think Chris Petersen, who is clearly a different dude than almost all the rest of CFB coaches, has any interest in coming back to coaching? especially if that school isn't in the PNW or PNW-adjacent?

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re really missing the point here. Citing to hiring Herman as OC as a reason to pump the breaks is really dumb. They had the #2 offense in the country in 2014 when they won the national title and they had the #3 offense in the country the year before when they had a QB who was terrible at throwing. 

The whole reason we want Meyer is that when you have a competent HC who knows how to run a program and instills discipline and a strong culture, then everyone is much more likely to succeed. It’s not about hoping you hire the next great coordinator because the odds of that are low. Instead, you find the right HC and then lots of people can have success under him. Urban Meyer has had elite offenses and defenses almost every year he’s coached. He’s had a bunch of different coordinators over the years. Some  have proven to be good coaches in their own right, others haven’t, but they still had a ton of success under Meyer. 

Plus... I don't think anyone is doubting Herman's ability to OC at the P5 level. It's the head coaching part where we have lost faith in his abilities.

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re really missing the point here. Citing to hiring Herman as OC as a reason to pump the breaks is really dumb. They had the #2 offense in the country in 2014 when they won the national title and they had the #3 offense in the country the year before when they had a QB who was terrible at throwing. 

The whole reason we want Meyer is that when you have a competent HC who knows how to run a program and instills discipline and a strong culture, then everyone is much more likely to succeed. It’s not about hoping you hire the next great coordinator because the odds of that are low. Instead, you find the right HC and then lots of people can have success under him. Urban Meyer has had elite offenses and defenses almost every year he’s coached. He’s had a bunch of different coordinators over the years. Some  have proven to be good coaches in their own right, others haven’t, but they still had a ton of success under Meyer. 

It’s a statement about our hires that all of the attention goes to who they bring in at coordinator as if that will be the primary variable in determining if they are successful or not. In full disclosure, I was one of those who thought Herman would be successful because he was the offensive brainpower on his coaching staff. I thought Tim Beck could be successful coaching up the QBs because it was Herman’s offense. Strong’s background on defense required him to bring him a good OC and when he selected  Watson, he was sunk. But I never felt that was with Herman. 

It just turns out in all three phases of the game Herman isn’t the guy and even with great coordinator hires and a veteran team he still cannot get it done. Urban is one of the few coaches out there where I feel like it does not matter (to a degree) who his coordinators are. Every other name on these lists come with a “yes but he is going to need a great ______ assistant to go with him.” 

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How many branches of the Urban coaching tree have we tried? It's time to go to the source

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wtf is this shit?

I know that there are some issues with this particular poster. But I think he's right about this (assuming Herman is forcing the guys to wake up at 5 on gamedays or something). Some of you will probably remember the piece from a few years ago that Scipio did for BC on Pulaski Academy High's coach in Arkansas and all the things he did that defied cOnVeNTiOnaL cOaCHiNg WiSdOm. If I remember correctly, one those things was showing up at games 15 minutes before kickoff instead of several hours before. 

The thought is that if you trust your players to be mentally ready when they show up, getting them there hours early stops them from being overly fixated on the game and psyching themselves out. Instead of trying to cram in a few extra hours of coaching right before the game, you trust in the preparations you made all week. Now, I have no idea if this even works. But it was something that made sense to me. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Plus... I don't think anyone is doubting Herman's ability to OC at the P5 level. It's the head coaching part where we have lost faith in his abilities.

I absolutely doubt it. Herman hasn’t done anything to keep up with the times with his offense, and he’s shown a complete inability to adapt to personnel. The only place he’s had elite offenses was tOSU and that’s because they had an elite OL. If Herman goes somewhere without a great OL, his offenses will have the same trouble they have here. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Is that the "4th and 5?" Saw it come up on the twitter feed.  I'll pass if there's water carrying. 

Yep that's it.. He still not on the fire Tom train as of now..  Feels he got dealt a bad blow with the Covid.. he has to take control of the offense because Yurcich hasn't had the time to implement his offense..  Ash and the defense is improving, tough switching to a new scheme and all.

** oh and doesn't like firing a 3rd coach within a decade **

Edited by Thiefery
forgot something
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I know that there are some issues with this particular poster. But I think he's right about this (assuming Herman is forcing the guys to wake up at 5 on gamedays or something). Some of you will probably remember the piece from a few years ago that Scipio did for BC on Pulaski Academy High's coach in Arkansas and all the things he did that defied cOnVeNTiOnaL cOaCHiNg WiSdOm. If I remember correctly, one those things was showing up at games 15 minutes before kickoff instead of several hours before. 

The thought is that if you trust your players to be mentally ready when they show up, getting them there hours early stops them from being overly fixated on the game and psyching themselves out. Instead of trying to cram in a few extra hours of coaching right before the game, you trust in the preparations you made all week. Now, I have no idea if this even works. But it was something that made sense to me. 

This is such a stupid, non-issue. You're either ready to play or you aren't. You have expectations to show up at a certain time on gameday - I don't care if that's at 8 am or 10:53 right before kickoff. You adjust what you do on Friday night accordingly. 

This is like, middle-school level team sports shit. If the fucking Fiji pledges can show up hours early and stay through the whole game in 90 degree weather wearing button downs, jeans, and boots then the players - that are on scholarship to play football - should be prepared regardless of when they are supposed to get up that morning. Herman could give them bed in breakfast in a fucking maid outfit at 9:30 and his team would show up as unprepared as ever, meanwhile the Urban/Dabo/Saban/Rileys of the world could keep their kids up all night with their eyes taped open watching film and show up and beat the piss out of the bottom dwellers in their conference by 40 points.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I absolutely doubt it. Herman hasn’t done anything to keep up with the times with his offense, and he’s shown a complete inability to adapt to personnel. The only place he’s had elite offenses was tOSU and that’s because they had an elite OL. If Herman goes somewhere without a great OL, his offenses will have the same trouble they have here. 

You might be right. I still think he'd be an above average or at least average OC at the P5 level if he took a job tomorrow - not that that's a very high bar for him.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Yep that's it.. He still not on the fire Tom train as of now..  Feels he got dealt a bad blow with the Covid.. he has to take control of the offense because Yurcich hasn't had the time to implement his offense..  Ash and the defense is improving, tough switching to a new scheme and all.

** oh and doesn't like firing a 3rd coach within a decade **

Using covid. Imagine. pathetic. Weak. 

10 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

23 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

he could be correct, we don't have a great record of showing out on 11am games. but Kansas, Iowa St and TCU last year were not 11am games and we still showed up flat, so it doesn't explain everything.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Viper said:

he could be correct, we don't have a great record of showing out on 11am games. but Kansas, Iowa St and TCU last year were not 11am games and we still showed up flat, so it doesn't explain everything.

Under Herman, we have trouble showing up -- especially in the 3rd quarter

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas