We beat USC, guaranteed

RadiologyHorn

On 9/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, RadiologyHorn said:

This is the type of game that will serve as fuel for the rest of the season. This year will be special, this team will be special.

Im drawing a line in the sand...who believes in this team and Tom Herman? State your side now, do you stand with Texas and this team? I don’t want your bandwagon ass on our side when we get this ship turned around. It’s easy to be a fan when everything is going well. A true fan is there in the darkest of times.

I believe in this team and I’m behind them 100%.

Fuck. You.

*and this coming from someone that thinks the horns win this game.

i expect us to beat SC. their offense is worse than ours and we should be up for this one.  would it surprise me if we lost, fuck no.  this team can lose to anyone on its schedule the way it's playing, but i expect to win and my pissed off level should we lose will reflect that expectation.

• Like 4

I'll bite.  I am expecting an ass whipping against USC. I expect to look back on this game after this season and think that really was the game where we turned that corner.  I'm an alum too.  I missed the national championship season by a hair.  Even in those successful 9-11 win seasons leading up to the magic carpet ride that was 2005, there were always games where we unexplainably looked like shit (OU); games where we played down to our opponents but pulled it out last minute and games we lost that we should have won (e.g., Arkansas, Stanford, Texas Tech, Colorado, Washington State).  Ride or die.  Hook 'Em!  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, The People’s Elbow said:

OP’s name doesn’t checkout. He can’t see for shit what’s right in front of his two eyes. 

Morher fucker’s probably liable for malpractice. 

OP is in the right line of work:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/02/11/171409656/why-even-radiologists-can-miss-a-gorilla-hiding-in-plain-sight

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964612/

This story begins with a group of people who are expert at looking: the professional searchers known as radiologists.

"If you watch radiologists do what they do, [you're] absolutely convinced that they are like superhuman," says Trafton Drew, an attention researcher at Harvard Medical School.

About three years ago, Drew started visiting the dark, cavelike "reading rooms" where radiologists do their work. For hours he would stand watching them, in awe that they could so easily see in the images before them things that to Drew were simply invisible.

"These tiny little nodules that I can't even see when people point to them — they're just in a different world when it comes to finding this very, very hard-to-find thing," Drew says.

In the Invisible Gorilla study, subjects have to count how many times the people in white shirts pass the basketball. By focusing their attention on the ball, they tend to not notice when a guy in a gorilla suit shows up.

YouTube

But radiologists still sometimes fail to see important things, and Drew wanted to understand more. Because of his line of work, he was naturally familiar with one of the most famous studies in the field of attention research, the Invisible Gorilla study.

In that groundbreaking study, research subjects are shown a video of two teams of kids — one team wears white; the other wears black — passing two basketballs back and forth between players as they dodge and weave around each other. Before it begins, viewers are told their responsibility is to do one thing and one thing only: count how many times the players wearing white pass the ball to each other.

This task isn't easy. Because the players are constantly moving around, viewers really have to concentrate to count the throws.

Then, about a half-minute into the video, a large man in a gorilla suit walks on screen, directly to the middle of the circle of kids. He stops momentarily in the center of the circle, looks straight ahead, beats his chest, and then casually strolls off the screen.

The kids keep playing, and then the video ends and a series of questions appear, including: "Did you see the gorilla?"

"Sounds ridiculous, right?" says Drew. "There's a gorilla on the screen — of course you're going to see it! But 50 percent of people miss the gorilla."

This is because when you ask someone to perform a challenging task, without realizing it, their attention narrows and blocks out other things. So, often, they literally can't see even a huge, hairy gorilla that appears directly in front of them.

That effect is called "inattentional blindness" — which brings us back to the expert lookers, the radiologists.

Drew wondered if somehow being so well-trained in searching would make them immune to missing large, hairy gorillas. "You might expect that because they're experts, they would notice if something unusual was there," he says.

He took a picture of a man in a gorilla suit shaking his fist, and he superimposed that image on a series of slides that radiologists typically look at when they're searching for cancer. He then asked a bunch of radiologists to review the slides of lungs for cancerous nodules. He wanted to see if they would notice a gorilla the size of a matchbook glaring angrily at them from inside the slide.

But they didn't: 83 percent of the radiologists missed it, Drew says.

This wasn't because the eyes of the radiologists didn't happen to fall on the large, angry gorilla. Instead, the problem was in the way their brains had framed what they were doing. They were looking for cancer nodules, not gorillas. "They look right at it, but because they're not looking for a gorilla, they don't see that it's a gorilla," Drew says.

In other words, what we're thinking about — what we're focused on — filters the world around us so aggressively that it literally shapes what we see. So, Drew says, we need to think carefully about the instructions we give to professional searchers like radiologists or people looking for terrorist activity, because what we tell them to look for will in part determine what they see and don't see.

Drew and his co-author Jeremy Wolfe are doing more studies, looking at how to help radiologists see both visually and cognitively the things that hide, sometimes in plain sight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol Ian is the biggest pumper out there.  Didn't he predict 8-9 wins and for us to trash Maryland?  

I won't deny Ian is a sunshine-pumper, but pretty much everyone was predicting 8-9 wins and a thrashing of Maryland to start the season.  I don't think that prediction was all that out of line three weeks ago.

It may be the case that all those 8-9 win projections by Texas fans were not all that reasonable.  Maybe if we had returned everyone from last season, but it was clear the defense would take a step back this year and so the offense would need to make a pretty massive jump for that prediction to come to fruition.  

I was looking at our offensive stats this season (yards/play, rush, and attempt), and they appear to be about the same, if not a little worse, than last season two games in.  Maybe Maryland has vastly improved on defense this season but Tulsa looked awful, and Tulsa's defense was actually worse than SJSU's in 2017.  

It may be the case that all those 8-9 win projections by Texas fans were not all that reasonable.  Maybe if we had returned everyone from last season, but it was clear the defense would take a step back this year and so the offense would need to make a pretty massive jump for that prediction to come to fruition.  

The groupthink on this site was all about making the ridiculous assumption that the defense would weather the loss of four guys on 53-man rosters right now, not to mention one of the best punters in CFB history, and more or less maintain the same level of play... All while the offense found a way to go from historically bad to above average.

Kool aid is a hell of a drug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 9/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, TexArcher said:

Okay, but who asked you?

I graduated from UT in 1999.  I've been a fan since the early 80s.  You don't want me on the bandwagon because I'm vocal about the shit show our program has been for years?  Well, you don't get a vote.  I'm an alum and a die-hard.  And as such, I'll be as critical as I want to be when it's warranted.

And this rah-rah, sunshine-pumping garbage after a completely inexcusable performance, again, is part of the problem, not the solution.

Line in the sand.  Kiss my burnt orange ass, kid.

Tip O' the cap to ya sir.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:17 AM, joeycovers said:

That just means LV thinks these teams are equal and UT is home. 

The public money is holding it at 3.5 

I always figured Vegas isn’t trying to predict the score, rather they are trying to maximize the amount of betters while maintaining equal money on both sides.

In this game why take the spread, should probably just take ML. I think I saw USC +145 which is pretty good.

OP... such horseshit.  You can love you team and still admit they suck at the same time.  You aren't less of a fan for that, but a true fan admitting reality.  I still wear my orange on gamedays, I'll still show up to the games when I can and watch on TV when I can't, I stand, and I'm loud.  My horns are up.  That's the basic level of fandom and I can do all that and still say we suck right now and shouldn't be favored in a game anytime soon.  

Herman has a strong track record of getting his guys up for big games and tomorrow is as big as it gets in the regular season. No doubt we win tomorrow.
This take is parroted all the time by sushine pumpers but it's dumb as fuck. Herman has literally zero wins of consequence at Texas. He has several embarrassing outings in big games and multiple losses to teams he had no business losing to as well.

Punked by Maryland at home.
Wastes heroic defensive efforts at USC.
Spots OU three touchdowns.
Gets all the breaks against OSU at home and still can't top 10 points.
Neutered by TCU.
Punked by Tech at home.
Embarrassed by coachless Maryland team in chaos.

The only thing Herman has done reliably at Texas is lose meaningful games.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:12 AM, RadiologyHorn said:

Line in Vegas holding steady at Texas -3.5.

Sports books are the most rational people on Earth because they speak with their money.

Sports books also want to entice people to make bets. It's not always a perfect line it's a line that will make people wanna gamble. People in Vegas for the weekend... from California...

On 9/1/2018 at 2:54 PM, RadiologyHorn said:

This is the type of game that will serve as fuel for the rest of the season. This year will be special, this team will be special.

Im drawing a line in the sand...who believes in this team and Tom Herman? State your side now, do you stand with Texas and this team? I don’t want your bandwagon ass on our side when we get this ship turned around. It’s easy to be a fan when everything is going well. A true fan is there in the darkest of times.

I believe in this team and I’m behind them 100%.

Hope is a dangerous thing.