Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

Try for Patterson, but for the reasons others have mentioned above, it's unlikely.   He gets paid way more than anyone has an idea of, no FOIA at a private school, the investments are real, and , not least importantly, Mrs. Patterson loves  TCU and, maybe more importantly, Fort Worth.  This is all very well-known in and outside of Fort Worth.  Offer him because it is possble the allure of a national championship sways him, but money whipping won't work.  Next to the Bass family, the Pattersons are Fort Worth's royal family.

Pete Carroll.  Sure, why not, if the contract is structured right.

Kyle Whittingham.  Consistent, teams are rugged, overachieves.

Gundy.  He'd love to give Pickens the finger by wreaking havoc over OSU.

And while you're at it, give Dabo a call; due diligence.

I would be down with a Pete Carroll hire, but i do have a question about coaches who return from NFL.
we all know about Saban, what other coaches have gone to the NFL and returned to college and success?
Spurrier- meh, harbaugh isn't looking so great, Patrino seems to have regressed a bit, and we will see about chip Kelley 

Pete was a pro HC 1st, so he's an outlier.

If he still had the fire, might be a great hire.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:22 AM, UncleBuck said:

Pete Carroll would be 67-68 by the time he took over, that's my only concern, but I'd still be for it, as I'm confident he could get the program back on the right track for his successor. Well, confident at this very moment of consideration of Pete Carroll. Could change my mind in a few minutes. 

And then the  NCAA would finally decide to nail a power 5 conference.  We'd be fucked for decades like SMU.   

And let's not forget how much Patterson hates Briles. Extra points in my book.

But he ain't coming.

Damned I wish you guys would have hired Briles. . .that would have been fun to see. Since the BOMC was responsible for his downfall that whole thing would have never happened if he had been hired instead of Strong, and he would have brought a killer attitude - there would have been NO soft Texas teams under Briles. NONE.

I think Briles at UT would have been a much better fit than Patterson.

Just keep his miscreants from assaulting women and he would have your team skull fucking big game bob/Lincoln riley's teams every year.

Briles would have a Natty at texas by now for sure.

Edit: I've cut $$ ties with my alma mater and I think what happened under his watch was despicable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Damned I wish you guys would have hired Briles. . .that would have been fun to see. Since the BOMC was responsible for his downfall that whole thing would have never happened if he had been hired instead of Strong, and he would have brought a killer attitude - there would have been NO soft Texas teams under Briles. NONE.

I think Briles at UT would have been a much better fit than Patterson.

Just keep his miscreants from assaulting women and he would have your team skull fucking big game bob/Lincoln riley's teams every year.

Briles would have a Natty at texas by now for sure.

Edit: I've cut $$ ties with my alma mater and I think what happened under his watch was despicable.

I really thought aggy was gonna hire him instead of Sherman. That's an interesting historical what if too. 

39 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Plus Briles makes Patterson look like a giant pussy.

He's done his penance, yall should hire him.

Or, you know, keep losing to teMs like Maryland.

Sweat  has a 5-3 record over Rape and called him out for his shit before it became public.

• Like 1

Sweat  has a 5-3 record over Rape and called him out for his shit before it became public.

Don't be stupid.

When Baylor's talent caught up with Briles' scheme, Briles was starting to own Patterson to the point where TCU changed their entire offense to keep up with Baylor. I was at 61-58 and the year prior in FW in the game where Baylor won - and Patterson called out a Baylor thug at the presser and then Briles challenged him to a fight. If you really paid attention to the baylor/tcu rivalry you would know that Briles was starting to become Patterson's kryptonite. He called him on his shit but looked petulant doing so.

All academic now and Baylor very quickly became TCUs bitch once Briles got shitcanned.

Fucking Mond (former Briles committ) and Jimbo almost beat Clemson just now with Sumlins croots and Aggy is obviously the program on the rise compared to Texas.

Fiance just commented that she hopes tOSU whips TCU and I said I hope TCU wins because big12 plus I am a huge Patterson fan - his body of work is very impressive and honestly I wish he was y'alls coach.

Texas is the Dallas Cowboys of college football and that sucks - and there's nothing I loved more than a Baylor victory over Texas in the Grant Teaff years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Don't be stupid.

When Baylor's talent caught up with Briles' scheme, Briles was starting to own Patterson to the point where TCU changed their entire offense to keep up with Baylor. I was at 61-58 and the year prior in FW in the game where Baylor won - and Patterson called out a Baylor thug at the presser and then Briles challenged him to a fight. If you really paid attention to the baylor/tcu rivalry you would know that Briles was starting to become Patterson's kryptonite. He called him on his shit but looked petulant doing so.

All academic now and Baylor very quickly became TCUs bitch once Briles got shitcanned.

Fucking Mond (former Briles committ) and Jimbo almost beat Clemson just now with Sumlins croots and Aggy is obviously the program on the rise compared to Texas.

Fiance just commented that she hopes tOSU whips TCU and I said I hope TCU wins because big12 plus I am a huge Patterson fan - his body of work is very impressive and honestly I wish he was y'alls coach.

Texas is the Dallas Cowboys of college football and that sucks - and there's nothing I loved more than a Baylor victory over Texas in the Grant Teaff years.

Using their head to head record is stupid? Patterson calling out rape is petulant? 

Using their head to head record is stupid? Patterson calling out rape is petulant? 

Not paying attention to the trends toward the latter years of their H2H. Not paying attention to the fact that in 2013, 2014 and 2015 the two coaches essentially geared their entire season to one game against each other. You think that the 2010 "way to go big12" TCU drubbing of RG3 led Baylor was relevant in 2015? (Though that monsoon shitshow in '15 did go TCUs way and slightly exposed both offenses as less than weatherproof)

I would never criticize anyone for calling out rape. That is legit and I never thought less of Patterson even though his comments were barely noticeable in the big picture of that situation. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I thought you meant Patterson calling out Briles for not getting Ahmad Dixon off the field after he targeted Boykin in 2013.

It was essentially a rivalry between historically strong defensive coach forced to manufacture a potent offense vs. The TX HS coach who didn't give a shit about defense because his offense was going to outscore any team. The thing both coaches really had in common was over performing with mainly 3 star recruits.

Can you imagine how dominant Texas would have been had they offered Briles (or Patterson) instead of Strong? Briles pride and ego told him his record was self explanatory and he was too good to actually come interview for the Texas job and Texas wasn't going to offer without at least a sit down.

The takeaway is that Texas had active coaches in Waco and Ft Worth out coaching Mack Brown and the big cigars basically ignored them. Add Aggy shoving the SECs proverbial camels nose into the Texas high school recruiting base tent and it's no wonder the Longhorns are underperforming. I just checked the box scores and it looks like Briles former OC (and the guy many Baylor fans wish was coaching the Bears) at fucking Tulsa gave them a game in Austin tonight.

This is probably the first UT football related post I've made on the surly/shag in many many years and my point is that Texas either needs to hire someone proven from here (Major or Patterson) or just fucking money whip someone PROVEN like Dabo, Urban, Peterson, Bob Stoops (yes I said it), Kirby, or even Les Miles and quit dicking around.

We offer Dabo Swinney 10 years and $90 million.

And we say something like:

"Saban and Urban have titles at multiple schools.  

You resurrect this sleeping giant, like Saban did with Alabama, and win two or three titles here, and you're in the discussion for greatest coach of all time.  And you're about $25 million richer than if you'd stayed at Clemson."

And if he says "no", up the offer to $100 million.

It ain't as if we don't have the fucking money.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

We offer Dabo Swinney 10 years and $90 million.

And we say something like:

"Saban and Urban have titles at multiple schools.  

You resurrect this sleeping giant, like Saban did with Alabama, and win two or three titles here, and you're in the discussion for greatest coach of all time.  And you're about $25 million richer than if you'd stayed at Clemson."

And if he says "no", up the offer to $100 million.

It ain't as if we don't have the fucking money.

Dabo's only leaving Clemson for one job and that's Alabama

The problem is, when you look at our coaching staff and look at others, they all look good.  Matt Canada looks like a great coach.  Is he?  Tulsa coach looked pretty good...last night.  Just cause "we're Texas", does this mean hiring a successful assistant is out of the question?  Right now it looks every bit as good as the hiring "system" we currently have in place....which is hire the hot name.  I was against the herman hire from the get go.  I thought he was/is an arrogant prick, and I have been proven correct.  Everyone said there was no one else out there, and I said we didn't look.  Whoever we hire in December '19, lets leave no stone unturned.  Big school, small school, assistant, whatever, lets do an honest search.  We have time cause it sounds like we have already started.  All you CEO types don't hire someone to run your company because you think one of your competitors (see LSU) is looking to hire them.  That's stupid.  Lets get this right and like BearSchlong said, quit dicking around.  Hook'em Horns.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 9/3/2018 at 2:37 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I think this shit goes deeper than the coach at this point. This environment here is toxic and it starts at the top. 

I mean it certainly seems that there is something systemic about UT or Austin or whatever.  But logic defies much impact of anything outside the football program horribly affecting the football program.

Certainly I think disarray in the AD has affected our coaching hires.  Strong's hiring, though, seems to have been done with forethought, at least, unlike Herman's.  Both were flawed hires in that they lacked the experience with a top-level P5 program and weren't able to step into it.  Going forward, I think we have to be pretty cautious hiring those without solid P5 experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Not paying attention to the trends toward the latter years of their H2H. Not paying attention to the fact that in 2013, 2014 and 2015 the two coaches essentially geared their entire season to one game against each other. You think that the 2010 "way to go big12" TCU drubbing of RG3 led Baylor was relevant in 2015? (Though that monsoon shitshow in '15 did go TCUs way and slightly exposed both offenses as less than weatherproof)

I would never criticize anyone for calling out rape. That is legit and I never thought less of Patterson even though his comments were barely noticeable in the big picture of that situation. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I thought you meant Patterson calling out Briles for not getting Ahmad Dixon off the field after he targeted Boykin in 2013.

It was essentially a rivalry between historically strong defensive coach forced to manufacture a potent offense vs. The TX HS coach who didn't give a shit about defense because his offense was going to outscore any team. The thing both coaches really had in common was over performing with mainly 3 star recruits.

Can you imagine how dominant Texas would have been had they offered Briles (or Patterson) instead of Strong? Briles pride and ego told him his record was self explanatory and he was too good to actually come interview for the Texas job and Texas wasn't going to offer without at least a sit down.

The takeaway is that Texas had active coaches in Waco and Ft Worth out coaching Mack Brown and the big cigars basically ignored them. Add Aggy shoving the SECs proverbial camels nose into the Texas high school recruiting base tent and it's no wonder the Longhorns are underperforming. I just checked the box scores and it looks like Briles former OC (and the guy many Baylor fans wish was coaching the Bears) at fucking Tulsa gave them a game in Austin tonight.

This is probably the first UT football related post I've made on the surly/shag in many many years and my point is that Texas either needs to hire someone proven from here (Major or Patterson) or just fucking money whip someone PROVEN like Dabo, Urban, Peterson, Bob Stoops (yes I said it), Kirby, or even Les Miles and quit dicking around.

I’ll admit, I’ve not read everyone else’s replies to the topic; but I’ll be damned if a Baylor fan (Grad?) didn’t just speak call it as it is.  

Texas needs to money whip one of Patterson, Swinney or Shaw. Period.

Make them say, “No”.  And make it damned hard to do so.

After Strong and now Herman(dang I’m taking like it’s already over), it’s become apparent to me that an “up andcomer” can no longer manage this beast.  It’s going to take someone with a proven track record of running a big program. 

The problem is, when you look at our coaching staff and look at others, they all look good.  Matt Canada looks like a great coach.  Is he?  Tulsa coach looked pretty good...last night.  Just cause "we're Texas", does this mean hiring a successful assistant is out of the question?  Right now it looks every bit as good as the hiring "system" we currently have in place....which is hire the hot name.  I was against the herman hire from the get go.  I thought he was/is an arrogant prick, and I have been proven correct.  Everyone said there was no one else out there, and I said we didn't look.  Whoever we hire in December '19, lets leave no stone unturned.  Big school, small school, assistant, whatever, lets do an honest search.  We have time cause it sounds like we have already started.  All you CEO types don't hire someone to run your company because you think one of your competitors (see LSU) is looking to hire them.  That's stupid.  Lets get this right and like BearSchlong said, quit dicking around.  Hook'em Horns.
100% this. Username doesn't check out.

Why some of you think cycling in new coaching staffs every two to three years will fix anything is beyond me.  The only thing I'm accepting is that Herman is here for the rest of the season no matter how much it makes your pussy hurt.  I'm going to watch how the rest of the season plays out.
6 to 7 wins? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's keep him for 5 more years!!!1!

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

6 to 7 wins? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's keep him for 5 more years!!!1!

I've reevaluated my position since that post.  6 to 7 wins seems optimistic at this point.  He'll get the obligatory third year, but it looks like he's on the Charlie Strong track at this point.

• Like 1