Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m OCD as a motherfucker, so I triple-checked my final choices before hitting the “Cast Ballot” button. And then I checked all the locks on the public library doors and made sure their coffee maker was turned off before I left.

You forgot the sink. It's dripping.

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I always remember the coffee maker, but then I forget to take out my buttplug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

I guess if the underdog wins, he's probably good.  Does he publish the totals or percentages on both sides when he does these?

Don’t think so. As said above, it’s surely hedged with insurance and is really just a way to increase volume.  So, marketing expense. And yes, furniture margins are insanely high. 

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We're not talking about people on the right, we're talking about the Republican Party. That appears to be the disconnect.

I don't even need to get into the fact that "people on the right" want state solutions for things like marriage definition, bathroom usage, etc.

50 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Damn straight!  Just so long as each individual stands up together with the other individuals and they collectively worship the flag when instructed to do so.

I knew there would be counter examples, but I said generally. That’s why I thought this was a pointless exercise. @RPM

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Uh then why did you bring it up? 

There is a long list of things that the right wants and demands control of through government intervention. 

Let's start that list:

-- abortion

-- definition of marriage

-- immigration

-- rights to automatic weapons

-- marijuana legalization

-- gay rights

-- trans rights

-- minority rights (oh wait, that one's secret)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I knew there would be counter examples, but I said generally. That’s why I thought this was a pointless exercise. @RPM

Well sure it's a pointless exercise if you're unable to come up with counterarguments. You want to just say "generally Republicans are against state-based solutions" and have people accept that it's true. Reality says it isn't.

Generally speaking, Republicans are 100% in favor of state-based solutions.

Right now the ads that Republican candidates and pro-Republican PACs are running are almost exclusively about:

MS-13 IS GOING TO KILL US ALL AND THE GOP WILL STOP THEM! (through state-based solutions)
LIBERALS WANT OPEN BORDERS BUT WE WILL PROTECT OUR BORDERS! (through state-based solutions including eminent domain land grabs from private land owners near the border)
NANCY PELOSI AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE TRYING TO UNLEASH ANGRY MOBS ON US BUT WE WILL STOP THEM! (through state-based solutions)
THOSE DIRTY DEMOCRATS ARE IN FAVOR OF PLAYERS WHO KNEEL DURING THE ANTHEM! (worship the state or else)

Edited by Huckleberry

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Uh then why did you bring it up? 

There is a long list of things that the right wants and demands control of through government intervention. 

Because RPM said I was avoiding the topic, even though I knew exactly how it would all play out. We can move on. 

Lets focus on the white knight. Which county is he in today?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's start that list:

-- abortion

-- immigration

-- gay rights

-- trans rights

How are the right doing with this list, since they want it so badly and have Congress and the White House?

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How are the right doing with this list, since they want it so badly and have Congress and the White House?

Not sure the question . . . RvW is clearly in jeopardy, I would not be surprised to see SCOTUS overturn the same-sex marriage ruling should the case present itself, we know what's happening with immigration, etc.

Ultimately, that's not the point -- the right wing would LOVE to have the state define all the parameters on each of the issues I listed.  The idea that the right is not "statist" is lunacy.

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Because RPM said I was avoiding the topic, even though I knew exactly how it would all play out. We can move on. 

Lets focus on the white knight. Which county is he in today?

Oh yeah like you give a shit about where he is today. You responded and got shot down. It's been a standard talking point for the right since God knows when. That dog won't hunt. 

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's start that list:

-- abortion

-- immigration

-- gay rights

-- trans rights

Abortion-you know the position. Pro life people are concerned about the rights of the fetus, another individual. But don’t worry, abortion is going nowhere. 

Gay marriage- Republicans have been slower to come around to this, but it’s happening as I posted earlier. 

Immigration- I think just about everyone outside of strict libertarians would say there should be some government involvement in maintaining our borders. 

Automatic weapons- not sure how the Rs are using the state to ensure they can have automatic weapons. Those are already pretty restricted. 

Marijuana legalization- Again, going to happen.  Possibly under Trump. I don’t hear many Rs calling for stronger penalties or more intervention on this. Government will recede over time here. 

Gay rights- how are Rs using the state to discriminate against gays?  The cake baker case?

Trans rights- I honestly know nothing about trans rights other than DoD wanted to restrict them from military.  I’m not as upset about that as y’all will want me to be. 

Minority rights- maybe you could be more specific here?  How are modern day Rs using the State to encumber on minority’s rights?  The first thing that comes to my mind is the war on drugs which has disproportionately affected minorities and is terrible.  Fortunately there is bipartisan push for criminal justice reform ongoing. 

It’s true Republicans can do better in several areas overall, but I find them to be the lesser of two evils as it were.  So sue me. 

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure the question . . . RvW is clearly in jeopardy, I would not be surprised to see SCOTUS overturn the same-sex marriage ruling should the case present itself, we know what's happening with immigration, etc.

Ultimately, that's not the point -- the right wing would LOVE to have the state define all the parameters on each of the issues I listed.  The idea that the right is not "statist" is lunacy.

Of course politicians on both sides would like to use government for their means to some extent. I find it to be more extreme on the Left. 

Of course politicians on both sides would like to use government for their means to some extent. I find it to be more extreme on the Left. 

You find it to be more extreme because you disagree with the specific uses they want. You are only lying to yourself when you say the quantity of those uses are more extreme on the other side. You live in a happy fantasy you've created for yourself.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:
3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You find it to be more extreme because you disagree with the specific uses they want. You are only lying to yourself when you say the quantity of those uses are mor extreme on the other side. You live in a happy fantasy you've created for yourself.

That’s your opinion, I suppose.  We’ll just have to agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Abortion-you know the position. Pro life people are concerned about the rights of the fetus, another individual. But don’t worry, abortion is going nowhere. 

Gay marriage- Republicans have been slower to come around to this, but it’s happening as I posted earlier. 

Immigration- I think just about everyone outside of strict libertarians would say there should be some government involvement in maintaining our borders. 

Automatic weapons- not sure how the Rs are using the state to ensure they can have automatic weapons. Those are already pretty restricted. 

Marijuana legalization- Again, going to happen.  Possibly under Trump. I don’t hear many Rs calling for stronger penalties or more intervention on this. Government will recede over time here. 

Gay rights- how are Rs using the state to discriminate against gays?  The cake baker case?

Trans rights- I honestly know nothing about trans rights other than DoD wanted to restrict them from military.  I’m not as upset about that as y’all will want me to be. 

Minority rights- maybe you could be more specific here?  How are modern day Rs using the State to encumber on minority’s rights?  The first thing that comes to my mind is the war on drugs which has disproportionately affected minorities and is terrible.  Fortunately there is bipartisan push for criminal justice reform ongoing. 

It’s true Republicans can do better in several areas overall, but I find them to be the lesser of two evils as it were.  So sue me. 

Nope. They are actively trying to negate Obergefell

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/lgbt/2018/04/11/houston-loses-latest-battle-lgbt-city-workers-benefits-vows-continue-war

Nearly three years after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, the city of Houston continues to battle for the rights of its gay workers. 

On Tuesday, a judge struck down Houston's attempts to defend its city benefits policy in federal court. The case will be remanded to state court, and the city will have to pay the legal fees of the two men who sued to overturn the policy, which extends spousal benefits to partners in same-sex marriages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

People on the Left generally see the state as the solution for most problems.  People on the right, much less so.  

People on the right generally see the state as a solution for most problems, too. It's the problems that don't line up, not that the state isn't the solution for them.

39 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

And you expressed your opinion. We're going to keep after it. 

So does it mean that the DEA is going to let the evil weed be used as medicine and be completely legal?

Are they going to return the assets seized? Are they going to pay for the litigation costs?

Are they going to recognize the full civil rights of the LGBTQ community in court, insurance, and all of the other aspects of our system?

Are they going to make it as hard to buy bullets as it is to buy sinus medications?

Are they going to make it easier to vote, universally registering all citizens when they turn 18?

Hmm?

Edit: and that's just the fucking start.

Edited by cactusflinthead

37 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. We can continue to point out examples showing that your "opinion" is demonstrably incorrect. You are either unwilling or unable to post examples supporting your position. I lean toward unable, of course.

The Republican Party supports state-based solutions to just as many issues as the Democratic Party does.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. We can continue to point out examples showing that your "opinion" is demonstrably incorrect. You are either unwilling or unable to post examples supporting your position. I lean toward unable, of course.

The Republican Party supports state-based solutions to just as many issues as the Democratic Party does.

It's GR Horn's opinion that the sun revolves around the earth. Y'all just have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

You didn't hear about the last Texas legislative sessions wasting the its time on where trans-gendered people can pee? My Republican friends actually believe that grown straight men will dress up as women to go into women's restrooms and rape them if trans are allowed to pee in the restroom of their gender.

As for as minority rights, have you heard of voter suppression? The Voting Rights Act of 1965 has already been gutted and there are numerous examples of Republicans suppressing minority votes in the election. 

Edited by Texas73
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

They favor deregulation which has helped spur the economy onward, and led to further decreasing unemployment including the lowest rate ever for African Americans. 

They generally favor lower taxes which leaves more money in American’s pockets.

They generally favor less government intrusion in the average American’s day to day life.  

They support the right of Americans to defend themselves.

They favor the individual over the state  

That’ll do for now on a very surface level.

this is just a bunch of platitudes that republicans pay lip service to when it's convenient and abandon whenever they fucking want.  you have to list it at a surface level because once you scratch the surface you find that very little of that is there.

People on the Left generally see the state as the solution for most problems.  People on the right, much less so.  

generally once something has gotten to be large enough of an issue that it's attracting national attention, non-state solutions have been tried and have failed. 

Edited by elfenix

15 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

My Republican friends actually believe that grown straight men will dress up as women to go into women's restrooms and rape them if trans are allowed to pee in the restroom of their gender.

And they will all be Republicans who do it. To own the libs of course

Edited by Jack Burton

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

They generally favor less government intrusion in the average American’s day to day life.

Except that they don’t.  They side with far-too-aggressive law enforcement, and they love them some surveillance of private citizens.  Trump’s administration is doing things that W only dreamed about.  

• Like 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Except that they don’t.  They side with far-too-aggressive law enforcement, and they love them some surveillance of private citizens.  Trump’s administration is doing things that W only dreamed about.  

The less government argument from the right is one of the easier claims to dismiss. It's just not true.

• Like 1