Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 hours ago, Kyle said:
I appreciate the thoughtful response. We can respectfully agree to disagree on asylum, illegality, etc. I realize the cloak of asylum was used as the story, but  questions of granting asylum is another complexity to a tough political and moral issue. I concede I'm not an expert on the nuances of asylum, but I would happily buy you any bottle of whiskey if most of the members of the caravan ultimately entered the country legally and followed the appropriate procedures.

Not really. There are laws, if you don't break them then you haven't done anything illegal. This isn't something we can debate, that's just the way it is.

And again, this isn't the first caravan. They have happened before and they have followed the legal process before. You keep acting like you want to analyze things dispassionately but then simply continue to ignore facts. You also claim objectivity but then use phrases like "cloak of asylum" despite actual historical evidence that it's true, refusing to recognize the military deployment as a dirty trick while simultaneously accusing the migrants of dirty tricks.

Edited by Huckleberry

The biggest kick to the balls is that Ted winning meant no beto victory sex. Girlfriend got upset, drunk, and passed out.

Fuck you, Ted
Yeah but that's one night for you. That's every night in the Cruz household. Have some empathy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don't think I'm doing a good job of helping explain the nuances, but I doubt it really matters. Nothing I am going to say or share is going to change your mind or anyone on the board. I thought I owed you a response. If you disagree with me, no skin off either one of our backs. I will continue to believe that words matter and see a difference between a "political stunt" and a "dirty trick." For example, a "dirty trick" would be if the GOP funded the caravan and then deployed the troops to fight it, but you'll never see it that way and alas, It is really not worth anymore of our time. Have a great week.

Spare me the martyr routine.  I've been a registered voter for 22 years and yesterday was the first time I've voted for a number of Democrats.  I've seen it your way for decades.  Continuing the "agree to disagree" in lieu of seeking the truth is lazy.

These caravans have been coming to our border for 2 decades.  Trump made it an issue as a fear-mongering tactic to get his base to vote.  And then he made up a story about it being a threat worthy of military deployment.  And then he publicly gave authorization to fire on someone throwing a rock.  You're fucking A right that words matter.  In 20 years of seeking asylum through these caravans, they WILLINGLY turn themselves in at the border every time.  EVERY. TIME.  

In what world is the President of the United States sending troops and giving orders to fire when there is ZERO threat necessitating such an action not a dirty trick?

45 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Any use of the US military for a "political stunt" I think immediately qualifies it for a "dirty trick".  The military should never be used for political purposes and particularly on US soil.

well there was/is that Iraq War thing. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

What percentage of votes were straight ballot votes?

yes, had the same question. I'd say a good estimated would be subtract the raw votes of Beto vs. Valdez. 

Also would like to know any stats regarding a youth surge, aged 18-30, any data on that? Seems it wasn't as big as advertised. 

50 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Any use of the US military for a "political stunt" I think immediately qualifies it for a "dirty trick".  The military should never be used for political purposes and particularly on US soil.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.

But you are right about using the military for crass political purposes.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Words matter. If you want to have a reasonably dialogue, it has to begin with personal integrity. Sending troops to the border is not a dirty trick. One can agree or disagree with it, but it is not a dirty trick by any definition.

What was the "false pretense" or "complete fabrication of the truth?" 

Immigration is a extremely complex moral and political question that requires more than hyperbolic emotion to solve.

What the fuck that does this bullshit even mean? You're a fucking Trump apologist. Sending troops to the border against starving helpless women and children escaping horrendous conditions is fucking evil and if you don't see that then you're an evil soulless piece of shit. No offense. 

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Have plenty of friends that could care less about the election, pretty indifferent, but after the Kavanaugh spectacle got tired of basically being called the party of rapists and womanizers.

The attacks pissed them off enough to basically do a "I'll show you" response.   I strongly feel Beto would have squeaked by without the Kavanaugh shit show.

That says a lot about your friends.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I know there is a lot of Beto for President talk, which I think is a bridge too far, but why doesn’t he challenge Cornyn in the next cycle? That seems like a seat he really could win with the name recognition he now has.

All the Republicans who voted for Beto because they hate Ted Cruz would not vote for Beto again. They like Cornyn.

I think he'd lose to Cornyn by close to or more than double digits. 

I think he should run for governor.

Just now, David Dennison said:

All the Republicans who voted for Beto because they hate Ted Cruz would not vote for Beto again. They like Cornyn.

You may be right. The governor race is a good call though.

28 minutes ago, Bookman said:

That says a lot about your friends.

It's certainly telling when a bunch of well-off white men are outraged that a well-off white man had to face some tough questions and claim that his life was ruined.

These same people largely turn a blind eye to brown children being torn from their parents and whose lives will ACTUALLY be altered in a devastating way, perhaps forever.  Trump has publicly stated that family separation was used as a deterrent.  He's on record as saying that. 

As a lifelong Republican/Independent, it is unconscionable to me that the party of pro-life can be so cavalier about the real impact on the lives of innocent children being used a political toy for our president.  But hey, he's got an R next to his name, so we're all good. 

• Like 5

Even after the synagogue shooting, they are still doing the Soros bit. 

Then Railroad Commissioner Ryan Sitton came out. “The question we heard” during the race, he said, “was: Is Texas a swing state?” No, the crowd very confidently shouted. Rafael Cruz, Ted’s father, took his turn. Texas had dealt a mighty rebuke to George Soros and Chuck Schumer, he said. “Texas remains solid red,” he said. “You can’t buy Texas.” The crowd started to chant: “You cannot buy Texas.”

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-disconnect-between-ted-cruzs-victory-speech-and-what-actually-happened-in-texas/

Good thing these two Jews weren't able to buy Texas.

12 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

It's certainly telling when a bunch of well-off white men are outraged that a well-off white man had to face some tough questions and claim that his life was ruined.

These same people largely turn a blind eye to brown children being torn from their parents and whose lives will ACTUALLY be altered in a devastating way, perhaps forever.  Trump has publicly stated that family separation was used as a deterrent.  He's on record as saying that. 

As a lifelong Republican/Independent, it is unconscionable to me that the party of pro-life can be so cavalier about the real impact on the lives of innocent children being used a political toy for our president.  But hey, he's got an R next to his name, so we're all good. 

Lol... as a lifelong Republican/Independent party of pro-life supporter, how can you balance killing and destroying families on a daily bases with daily bombing runs overseas (average of every 12 minutes we drop a bomb even though we are not at war)? Is it just because it's not in your backyard? Or because the news doesn't cover it anymore?

There is nothing about Beto's history or story that's interesting or compelling. No military service. No involvement with important moments/events. No history of inspirational service. No compelling narrative regarding his nationality/heritage. No impressive educational record. He's a 6'+ whitish, personable guy with a nice smile and a great attitude. That is literally the sum total of what he was as a candidate. He was a pleasant vessel into which libs/centrists/Dems could pour their emotional hopes.

Know who else was a pleasant vessel into which libs/centrists/Dems poured their emotional hopes? Barack HUSSEIN Obama

But...
- Obama had name recognition from an amazing performance at the 2014 DNC
- Was an absolutely amazing public speaker
- Had an extremely interesting and compelling back story

Beto now has national name recognition to go with his other qualities. But he's not a great speaker and he's not presented an engaging personal narrative. I have no doubt he could build himself into a national candidate, but he needs to travel the country a little and work on his pitch and delivery.

The larger point is this: The Democrats have a lot of reason to be hopeful. Beto O'Rourke's are a dime a dozen.

45 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Good call.  People actually like Cornyn.  Don't waste a good candidate on Cornyn in 2020. 

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Lol... as a lifelong Republican/Independent party of pro-life supporter, how can you balance killing and destroying families on a daily bases with daily bombing runs overseas (average of every 12 minutes we drop a bomb even though we are not at war)? Is it just because it's not in your backyard? Or because the news doesn't cover it anymore?

Are you under the assumption that I support it? I don't. Does that answer your question?

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not at the beginning of this whole thing. It's been a year+ of "Beto who? What?"

This is actually an asset.  People in this country are not smart, they jump on bandwagons, and get quickly tired of politicians that hang around too long.  

Who knew who Bernie Sanders was at this time in 2014? No one.

Who knew about Barack Obama at this time in 2006?  I’d say about the same amount as Beto now. 

As someone that has tried to measure ambition for the presidency in the U.S. to a predictive level, I can tell you Presidents don’t start their political careers by running for city council or even state offices.  They’re catapulted rapidly to the presidency, traditionally from governor or senator. 

Cruz was onto to this phenomenon but got cucked by the Kremlin/Trump.

Beto’s national name recognition is just about right for a 2020 run.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Ted Cruz has a nationally-recognized name. His name recognition in Texas must be as close to 100% as anyone's could be. He just ran a hard presidential primary in 2016, which he won in Texas. He is a Republican in a state that has not elected a statewide Democrat in 24 years.

Beto O'Rourke had no recognition outside Texas, and basically none inside Texas. He's a Democrat in a state that hasn't elected a statewide Democrat in 24 years.

This is an embarrassing result for Cruz and the Republicans at large. It's not a great one for O'Rourke and Dems, but Cruz should not win this race by fewer than 10 points.

Your buddy Sack told us that Beto mainly raised his contributions from outside Texas.  How did he do that if no one knows him outside of Texas ?

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yes and I believe it answers your as well. 

You seem to think that you have a "gotcha" here somewhere because I identified myself as a lifetime Republican/Independent.  Is the gotcha that I haven't identified as a Democrat and therefore have been okay with those bombings?  Your response to my pointing out Republican hypocrisy is to point out additional Republican hypocrisy, it seems. Congrats?  The U.S. has committed atrocities across every manner of political party affiliation, so I'm at a loss as to what your point is here.  

Here is my point:  Republicans have defended the family separation because "illegal" and have stated they're okay with it.  "Keep them out" Twitter, message boards, in person.  You name it.  They've defended the practice.  Many of them.  It seems as though you are trying to connect the dots that I have defended the act of bombing innocent people.  I haven't.

4 hours ago, LowPressure said:

Looks like Beto outspent him 2 to 1.

Not to mention free MSM press & coverage.  The left threw the kitchen sink at Cruz...and he won.

Ted Cruz (R)Incumbent

$40,118,702 $33,896,025 $6,702,090 10/17/2018
Beto O'Rourke (D) $69,099,803 $59,162,289 $10,336,214

10/17/2018

He spent an extra 30 mil overcoming the headstart Cruz had.  And nearly caught his sniveling ass.  So your point is not very strong.  Not to mention the fact that the Rs had to put a whole lot of resources saving Ted's butt that could have gone to other races. 

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Ted Cruz has a nationally-recognized name. His name recognition in Texas must be as close to 100% as anyone's could be. He just ran a hard presidential primary in 2016, which he won in Texas. He is a Republican in a state that has not elected a statewide Democrat in 24 years.

Beto O'Rourke had no recognition outside Texas, and basically none inside Texas. He's a Democrat in a state that hasn't elected a statewide Democrat in 24 years.

This is an embarrassing result for Cruz and the Republicans at large. It's not a great one for O'Rourke and Dems, but Cruz should not win this race by fewer than 10 points.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Chuckle. Similarly, I'll buy you a bottle of any whiskey you want if that actually happens.

Most of the caravan will disperse along the way with a small percentage of them even making it to the border to claim asylum. Just like every time this happened.

Will you buy me a bottle of whiskey when that happens?

I'll take a Pappy 23 yr old.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
Typo

3 hours ago, Horn21 said:

You seem to think that you have a "gotcha" here somewhere because I identified myself as a lifetime Republican/Independent.  Is the gotcha that I haven't identified as a Democrat and therefore have been okay with those bombings?  Your response to my pointing out Republican hypocrisy is to point out additional Republican hypocrisy, it seems. Congrats?  The U.S. has committed atrocities across every manner of political party affiliation, so I'm at a loss as to what your point is here.  

Here is my point:  Republicans have defended the family separation because "illegal" and have stated they're okay with it.  "Keep them out" Twitter, message boards, in person.  You name it.  They've defended the practice.  Many of them.  It seems as though you are trying to connect the dots that I have defended the act of bombing innocent people.  I haven't.

No gotcha, just that my generalization about you was wrong just as your generalization about "Republicans" is wrong. There is no if your Republican you must believe X as there are only two real colors and many shades of blue and red

What ever became of the switched vote software glitch? Never heard how that was resolved. I know they pulled machines that voters caught, but were all machines checked? Were all the votes on the faulty machines corrected or were they thrown out? This is why we need paper receipts from machines not based on 1980's Nintendo platforms.

18 minutes ago, RPM said:

What ever became of the switched vote software glitch? Never heard how that was resolved. I know they pulled machines that voters caught, but were all machines checked? Were all the votes on the faulty machines corrected or were they thrown out? This is why we need paper receipts from machines not based on 1980's Nintendo platforms.

User error.