Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

There’s a whole lot of apathy on the Republican side, at least from my circle of friends. I’m not sure if that’s indicative of the rest of the state, but it’s starting to feel that way. 

This. I know for myself, I'm not voting and most of my peers are "meh" about the election (as I mentioned before, we all like Beto on a personal/charismatic level though feel he represents some things that are a bridge too far).

That said, I see positives for if/when Beto wins and would enjoy those positives-- just as I enjoyed Obama's presidency (I see a lot of similarities in Obama and Beto).

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

me. this is different. not just beto, the whole midterm election. there is a movement to take back our country. there is increased participation and interest unlike anything i have ever witnessed. and when republicans lose the suburban moms, they lose everything. Beto wins.

I don't think you are right. I still think Ted wins the election like Pyrrhus from Epirus.  At the same time I haven't felt this kind of momentum since late 2007 with Obama. 

My wife, Perot/Dole voter and daughter of a long time professional Texas Republican flak, is literally running a Beto training center out of our home daily in the month of October to support the large number of field volunteers coming into Texas to support the campaign. She generally hates having a house full of strangers and has never been active in politics. Ever.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

This. I know for myself, I'm not voting and most of my peers are "meh" about the election (as I mentioned before, we all like Beto on a personal/charismatic level though feel he represents some things that are a bridge too far).

That said, I see positives for if/when Beto wins and would enjoy those positives-- just as I enjoyed Obama's presidency (I see a lot of similarities in Obama and Beto).

Then vote for him.  Cruz is a goblin who puts his own interests above ours.  He’s a shitbag who doesn’t deserve to represent the people of Texas.  

You may not agree with every one of Beto’s policy stances, but ask yourself this: do you believe he is doing what he truly thinks is best for our state and our nation?  I do.  And that’s what I’m looking for in our representatives these days.  Because a guy who truly wants to do the right thing can be convinced to change course when it turns out he’s wrong on some policy point.  

People like Cruz can’t be convinced of anything, because they assume the answer ahead of time and are only seeking self-glorification anyway.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Then vote for him.  Cruz is a goblin who puts his own interests above ours.  He’s a shitbag who doesn’t deserve to represent the people of Texas.  

You may not agree with every one of Beto’s policy stances, but ask yourself this: do you believe he is doing what he truly thinks is best for our state and our nation?  I do.  And that’s what I’m looking for in our representatives these days.  Because a guy who truly wants to do the right thing can be convinced to change course when it turns out he’s wrong on some policy point.  

People like Cruz can’t be convinced of anything, because they assume the answer ahead of time and are only seek self-glorification anyway.

This.  Sitting on the sidelines doesn't help, it hurts.  If you truly don't like what you're seeing in this country, then you need to go vote against it.  Until everyone on team Trump from President to dog catcher knows that playing footsie with Nazis, kidnapping children, cavorting with despots, etc., etc., isn't voter approved, then they'll keep doing it.

Your vote matters.

54 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Right, even the most fervent Republicans in my group give an insouciant shrug when pressed on the matter. I get it, I’m hardly passionate myself. I could never vote for Beto since I disagree with most of what he says, but I agree he seems like a good guy. 

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

There’s a whole lot of apathy on the Republican side, at least from my circle of friends. I’m not sure if that’s indicative of the rest of the state, but it’s starting to feel that way. 

Cruz either senses that by his rallies, or his internal polling is showing that as well as Beto getting people out to vote who normally don't.

Something has Cruz spooked, that's for sure.  For somebody who claimed he was a good campaigner, his throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks works against that image.

40 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  Sitting on the sidelines doesn't help, it hurts.  If you truly don't like what you're seeing in this country, then you need to go vote against it.  Until everyone on team Trump from President to dog catcher knows that playing footsie with Nazis, kidnapping children, cavorting with despots, etc., etc., isn't voter approved, then they'll keep doing it.

Your vote matters.

This.  And keep voting.  We have some fires to put out here in the USA, but after those are taken care of, we also have some real long term issues to solve that have been festering for decades.  We have no one to blame but ourselves.  Elected reps should not be rewarded for kicking the can down the road.  If they don't address things, get someone else.  i would also be willing to bet that the dialogue between parties and the citizenry in general would be more polite if there was a broad increase in civic awareness of the issues and corresponding action on that awareness rather than lazy knee jerk reactions to hot button items.  Understanding issues takes work and we would rather be fed the party line than do the hard work of understanding what the other side has to say and the nuances of the issue itself.

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

Right, even the most fervent Republicans in my group give an insouciant shrug when pressed on the matter. I get it, I’m hardly passionate myself. I could never vote for Beto since I disagree with most of what he says, but I agree he seems like a good guy. 

The best way to change your own party is to vote for the other one. Cruz loosing will bring more change to the republican party than him winning.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

The best way to change your own party is to vote for the other one. Cruz loosing will bring more change to the republican party than him winning.

This 100%. As a former Republican voter, I'd love to see the Republican party get back to its roots (or at least to what it claims are its roots) of limited government, fiscal responsibility, individual liberty and responsibility, etc. I'm likely never going back to them, but it would still be nice to see. The only way it happens is if folks who support them start going against them out of disgust for how they have been operating. Continuing to vote for the corrupt status quo will just encourage the bad behavior.

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I remember the very first political campaign in which I was actively involved--George H.W. Bush's 1992 reelection campaign.  And I vividly remember a moment late in October as I was driving, and I thought to myself, "you know--it's really not a crisis if Clinton wins this thing."

From then on, that's how I know when my guy has lost.  If I think to myself--or I hear others who support my guy expressing--"you know, it's not really a crisis if the other guy wins," it means my guy is fixing to lose.

I have a pretty good batting average with that bellwether.  

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I remember the very first political campaign in which I was actively involved--George H.W. Bush's 1992 reelection campaign.  And I vividly remember a moment late in October as I was driving, and I thought to myself, "you know--it's really not a crisis if Clinton wins this thing."

From then on, that's how I know when my guy has lost.  If I think to myself--or I hear others who support my guy expressing--"you know, it's not really a crisis if the other guy wins," it means my guy is fixing to lose.

Interesting point-- and also that is absolutely the mindset and I'm at a point of a "good for him".

32 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's likely a highly predictive rule of thumb but I think it's specifically predictive for Republicans. I don't think it would work for Democrats, though, because generally more Democrats than Republicans switch sides in elections (because the Democratic voter coalition isn't uniformly ideological and is comprised of often conflicting interests) and because liberals and progressives aren't really oriented around reaction.

For example - liberals have always had a soft spot for McCain, but liberals being OK with McCain didn't suppress Democratic turnout for Obama. On the other hand, we didn't turn out for Hillary despite the fact that we were terrified of Trump, and Republicans did turn out because they were terrified of Hillary Clinton.  

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't think you are right. I still think Ted wins the election like Pyrrhus from Epirus.  At the same time I haven't felt this kind of momentum since late 2007 with Obama. 

My wife, Perot/Dole voter and daughter of a long time professional Texas Republican flak, is literally running a Beto training center out of our home daily in the month of October to support the large number of field volunteers coming into Texas to support the campaign. She generally hates having a house full of strangers and has never been active in politics. Ever.

Nah. Beto is going to kick his lily white Canadian Cuban Ass!

• Like 1

Just got this text:

Hi, xxxxx w/ Team Beto here! We published our Plan to Win here act.betofortexas.com/go/ptwtext. To get out the vote & elect Beto, we need to open hundreds of temporary offices across Texas called pop-ups. Do you have a space for a Beto pop-up or can you be a full-time volunteer at one near you?

Hundreds of temporary offices.  That's some serious shit.  How many does Ted have?

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This.  And keep voting.  We have some fires to put out here in the USA, but after those are taken care of, we also have some real long term issues to solve that have been festering for decades.  We have no one to blame but ourselves.  Elected reps should not be rewarded for kicking the can down the road.  If they don't address things, get someone else.  i would also be willing to bet that the dialogue between parties and the citizenry in general would be more polite if there was a broad increase in civic awareness of the issues and corresponding action on that awareness rather than lazy knee jerk reactions to hot button items.  Understanding issues takes work and we would rather be fed the party line than do the hard work of understanding what the other side has to say and the nuances of the issue itself.

This.  If the system is stacked so that 5 million votes can't win, then fucking rally up 6 million votes.  Voting is the surest path to the people exercising some measure of control.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

And THIS.  Especially when dissent in any form is drummed out of the party.  There is no room for a Republican who is not a 100% loyal Trumpist.  You can't effect any change, because you're completely locked out. Fine.  Lock everyone else out.  You think you're safe in there?  Fuck you, we're gonna level that dump.

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

This 100%. As a former Republican voter, I'd love to see the Republican party get back to its roots (or at least to what it claims are its roots) of limited government, fiscal responsibility, individual liberty and responsibility, etc. I'm likely never going back to them, but it would still be nice to see. The only way it happens is if folks who support them start going against them out of disgust for how they have been operating. Continuing to vote for the corrupt status quo will just encourage the bad behavior.

I kinda used to feel this way, but....

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Those has never been their roots. They have only been rhetoric.

Anastasis, if you keep making me rep you, I'm just gonna have to drink more whiskey.  And I only have one liver, goddamit.

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah, I'm coming around to that point. It's not easy to admit you've been buying a lie for most of your life.

It's not.  It's really not.  But it's also an incredibly liberating feeling when you accept the truth.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Fuck you for making me rep you.

Repeated by me for emphasis.  Fucking Anastasis, man.

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They aren't kidding around. That's what my wife is doing, and it's going to run in my house for the entire month of October, from 8am-6pm daily.

We're working with folks on our block to figure out who's going to be in charge, where the office will be, etc.  My kids are going to be working this thing.  Seriously, the level of work and ownership being put into this campaign is -- at the very least -- going to plant the seeds of how to organize and run statewide campaigns for the Dems for years to come.

Oh, and....

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

For the rest of my life, part of the decision making algorithm every time I vote will be to determine what each person was doing, saying, and involved with in this time in which we are currently living.  Everyone who is complicit or complacent right now needs to gtfo.

True for me and my wife.  And, importantly, true for my kids, 15 and 17.  Their eyes are fucking WIDE open.  They know that they are actually living through one of the worst political moments in our history, and that scar will motivate them for the rest of their lives.  To the point that Jesus Christ himself could run for office under the GOP label, and I doubt they'd vote for him, because (R).  The stigma is real, it's deep, and it's going to last a long time.

BUT....we're still outnumbered.

This thought occurred to me when I was there last night. End Citizens United was all over it. I'm sure they're smart enough to keep the money separated but I don't see how the organization and volunteers wasn't an in kind donation. Maybe they decided it's okay to work with a PAC that's working to end a lot of PACs but they set themselves up for this attack. They didn't need End Citizens United to organize an event for them in DC.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

I'll put it like this, the last time I voted (ever) was in 08 for Obama. You can bet your ass I'm casting my vote for Beto this fall.

Why?  What about Beto makes you want to come out?  I suspect you’ll be disappointed if he gets elected just the same as Obama did to so many people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Why?  What about Beto makes you want to come out?  I suspect you’ll be disappointed if he gets elected just the same as Obama did to so many people. 

If you don’t see the current state as the biggest argument ever for divided control, you are a Republican hack.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Compared to what? The president? Ted Cruz?

Ted Cruz is a terrible senator on every level. Im doing what I can to give him the business. The fact that I actually sort of like Beto is a bonus.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If you don’t see the current state as the biggest argument ever for divided control, you are a Republican hack.  

So people should vote for Beto so the Senate could be Dem to counteract Trump’s fascism?  Ok. 

I see why people want to like Beto. But honestly he reminds me of some rich white people I know named Cuatro or Cinco.  

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Why? Because he not f'n Ted Cruz. That alone should be enough for any rational thinking Texan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I think when the ads heat up Cruz will win fairly comfortably. Point out Beto’s gun stance and a couple other issues that he’s more liberal on and it will be done deal.

What about Beto's gun stance.

Polling has shown that Texans prefer Beto's gun stance.