US surgeon and girlfriend suspected of multiple drug rapes

Huckleberry

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45567103

This could be a pretty terrible deal, although this particular comment stuck out to me:

"We believe the defendants used their good looks and charms to lower the inhibitions of their potential prey"

If that's a crime then I will never be confirmed to SCOTUS (no CR)!

US surgeon and girlfriend suspected of multiple drug rapes
18 September 2018

A California surgeon and his girlfriend have been charged with two sexual assaults, and investigators suspect there could be "hundreds" more victims.

Grant William Robicheaux, 38, and Cerissa Laura Riley, 31, allegedly attacked two women they met at a bar and a restaurant in 2016.

Prosecutors told the BBC "thousands and thousands" of videos of potential victims were on the defendants' phones.

Investigators are trying to identify the women in the clips.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said the pair were suspected of using their "clean-cut" looks to lure targets into a false sense of security.

"We believe the defendants used their good looks and charms to lower the inhibitions of their potential prey," he said, reports KTLA-TV.

He added: "There are several videos where the women in the videos appear to be highly intoxicated beyond the ability to consent or resist and they are barely responsive to the defendants' sexual advances.

"Based on this evidence we believe there might be many unidentified victims out there."

Mr Robicheaux is an orthopaedic surgeon from Newport Beach, 45 miles (72km) south of Los Angeles.

He once appeared on the Bravo cable network's reality TV show Online Dating Rituals of the American Male.

Image copyrightCBS
Investigators say the pair worked "in tandem" to meet women at bars, drug them or coerce them to drink large amounts of alcohol, and then bring them back to Mr Robicheaux's apartment to be assaulted.

Two women have alleged encounters with Mr Robicheaux and Ms Riley two years ago.

The first said she met the pair at a restaurant on 10 April 2016 and was invited by them to a boat party.

Once intoxicated, the 32-year-old was allegedly taken back to Mr Robicheaux's apartment and raped.

She contacted Newport Beach police the following day and tested positive for a number of unspecified drugs, the prosecutor said.

Both defendants are accused of rape by use of drugs in that case.

On 2 October 2016, another woman said she woke up in Mr Robicheaux's apartment after a night of drinking, and screamed for help until his neighbours called police.

That woman told police she had been drinking at a bar in Newport Beach with the couple until she lost consciousness.

Both defendants are accused of sexual assault with intent to commit rape in that case.

Investigators say they have recovered video of one of the two women being assaulted.

Mr Robicheaux and Ms Riley are accused of possessing a large quantity of drugs, including GHB (considered a date-rape drug), psychedelic mushrooms, ecstasy and cocaine.

Police said the illegal substances were found during a search of the surgeon's home in January 2018.

Mr Robicheaux is further accused of possessing two unregistered semi-automatic rifles, four other firearms and magazines capable of carrying large amounts of ammunition, according to a press release.

Newport Beach police passed the case for review to the Orange County district attorney on 6 September, and the couple were arrested at the man's home last Wednesday.

The district attorney said the state's medical board has opened an investigation into Mr Robicheaux, but there is no evidence so far that any of his patients could be victims.

Officials say the couple have attended music and art festivals such as Burning Man in Nevada and the Splash House Festival in Palm Springs, California.

Both of the accused have been freed on $100,000 (£76,000) bail bonds.

"We've all heard of a wolf in sheep's clothing," said the district attorney.

"Well, a wolf can wear scrubs or doctor's clothing. Or a wolf can be a beautiful woman."

If convicted, Mr Robicheaux and Ms Riley could spend 40 years and 30 years in prison respectively, said the prosecutor.

Mr Rackauckas added: "People often assume that rapists are creepy, scary men who lunge out from hiding amongst bushes and attack unsuspecting women.

"The reality is that rapists come in all socioeconomic groups, of any background."

The pair are due to be formally charged in court on 24 October.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What's confusing to me is the characterization of rape via encouraging people to get drunk af and then come back to the room and have sex with them. I get using roofies/mickeys to rape people is horrible and should be prosecuted if that happened, but just buying girls shots and getting them so drunk they make bad decisions to get into a threesome with a good looking doctor and his gf, seems like a weird way to characterize rape.

I'm reminded of the Norm MacDonald bit on alcholism and it being a disease. When asked about his symptoms of his disease, "I find I talk to people easier. At advanced stages of this disease, I'll go to a bar, meet a woman who also has my disease, and we will have sex."

???

Both defendants are accused of rape by use of drugs in that case.

11 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What's confusing to me is the characterization of rape via encouraging people to get drunk af and then come back to the room and have sex with them. I get using roofies/mickeys to rape people is horrible and should be prosecuted if that happened, but just buying girls shots and getting them so drunk they make bad decisions to get into a threesome with a good looking doctor and his gf, seems like a weird way to characterize rape.

I'm reminded of the Norm MacDonald bit on alcholism and it being a disease. When asked about his symptoms of his disease, "I find I talk to people easier. At advanced stages of this disease, I'll go to a bar, meet a woman who also has my disease, and we will have sex."

Wow, man. Seriously, just wow. Without being too snarky about the fact that I've never exactly considered you a brilliant poster, this is just way the hell out there.

I guess to be fair I'll point out that I've never been a part of the dating scene at bars, but what you just described sounds a lot like rape to me. A strategy of getting someone so drunk that they do things they wouldn't otherwise do is rape and even if it weren't it is definitely still creepy. I will grant, though, that there is some gray area when it comes to alcohol and sex, but that's usually based on both sides using alcohol to lower their inhibitions. I personally am a big fan of alcohol because my wife, like many, will go into an evening planning on using alcohol to let loose and just have fun without worrying about the stresses in her life, how she looks in her outfit, if I think she has gained weight, and the million other thoughts that women can't get out of their heads. But a woman intentionally having enough to get buzzed and not worry about stupid shit is so far away from "I'm going to get her so drunk that she makes a terrible decision" that I can't adequately describe the difference in culpability.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

If they are so drunk that they can’t give consent, that’s rape. I’ve gone out with girls who had more than a few drinks and wanted to have sex. I didn’t sleep with them because I didn’t know how intoxcated they were. 

7 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Maybe I am living under a rock, but has this always been the societal standard and definition? Or has the thinking evolved and changed and maybe I just missed the memo and haven't evolved accordingly?

What you are thinking of is what they call date rape.  So if you've never heard that term you did in fact miss the memo.

43 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Maybe I am living under a rock, but has this always been the societal standard and definition? Or has the thinking evolved and changed and maybe I just missed the memo and haven't evolved accordingly?

If a girl’s blackout drunk and unable to give consent that’s obviously rape. But someone can appear just kinda normal drunk to someone else when they are in fact blackout drunk. Is that a chance worth taking just to get your dick wet? 

I’m also gen x and there has rightly been more awareness and evolution on this issue. 

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Wow, man. Seriously, just wow. Without being too snarky about the fact that I've never exactly considered you a brilliant poster, this is just way the hell out there.

I guess to be fair I'll point out that I've never been a part of the dating scene at bars, but what you just described sounds a lot like rape to me. A strategy of getting someone so drunk that they do things they wouldn't otherwise do is rape and even if it weren't it is definitely still creepy. I will grant, though, that there is some gray area when it comes to alcohol and sex, but that's usually based on both sides using alcohol to lower their inhibitions. I personally am a big fan of alcohol because my wife, like many, will go into an evening planning on using alcohol to let loose and just have fun without worrying about the stresses in her life, how she looks in her outfit, if I think she has gained weight, and the million other thoughts that women can't get out of their heads. But a woman intentionally having enough to get buzzed and not worry about stupid shit is so far away from "I'm going to get her so drunk that she makes a terrible decision" that I can't adequately describe the difference in culpability.

i dunno, i subscribe to the "equally drunk" idea. if my wife is way more drunk than me, it's time for her to sleep it off. if we've gone out and had a good time together, and we're both buzzed or drunk at he same time, together, then i think things are mostly okay. this is also built on a long time of trust, mind you. i don't think i would think the same thing if i was currently in the dating world. 

but i've never stooped to "trying to get someone so drunk they consent." of course, i was usually in the same state of mind.

boundaries these days may seem a little fuzzy to some, but i also think they are more clear.

remember, rape jokes in movies like animal house and revenge off the nerds were standard fare back in the day. times change. and it's a good thing, i think.

edit: by the way, this completely takes any kind of drugs out of the picture as in the OP. evn girls gone wild had an "i'm not drunk, I PROMISE" policy. *wink wink*

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, destroya said:

If a girl’s blackout drunk and unable to give consent that’s obviously rape. But someone can appear just kinda normal drunk to someone else when they are in fact blackout drunk. Is that a chance worth taking just to get your dick wet? 

I’m also gen x and there has rightly been more awareness and evolution on this issue. 

I'm Gen-X too and I assume societal attitudes have changed but I am not sure since I haven't been on the dating scene in 20 years.

Messing with a girl that is passed out has always been wrong as long as I can remember. Hell, Animal House addressed the subject in the 70's.

Having sex with a functionally drunk girl was not something I remember being against the rules. Do people still have sex during Spring Break?

We're not talking about going out on a date, have a few drinks and mutually deciding to take things back to his place to see what happens. What the article indicates is that they coerced women into getting blackout drunk to the point that they could not verbally refuse or physically resist being raped.

Alcohol is a drug and there really shouldn't be a distinction between using it or GHB to get someone to the point where they blackout so that you can rape them. 

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

We're not talking about going out on a date, have a few drinks and mutually deciding to take things back to his place to see what happens. What the article indicates is that they coerced women into getting blackout drunk to the point that they could not verbally refuse or physically resist being raped.

Alcohol is a drug and there really shouldn't be a distinction between using it or GHB to get someone to the point where they blackout so that you can rape them. 

yeah, to be clear here, there is no apparent mystery here. what these two were doing was pouring themselves extra light drinks and their victims extra heavy until they were trashed. and then filmed them having sex with the sometimes unresponsive victim. pretty sick.

38 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm Gen-X too and I assume societal attitudes have changed but I am not sure since I haven't been on the dating scene in 20 years.

Messing with a girl that is passed out has always been wrong as long as I can remember. Hell, Animal House addressed the subject in the 70's.

Having sex with a functionally drunk girl was not something I remember being against the rules. Do people still have sex during Spring Break?

If she decides she didn't want to afterwards, you're SOL.

5 hours ago, destroya said:

If they are so drunk that they can’t give consent, that’s rape. I’ve gone out with girls who had more than a few drinks and wanted to have sex. I didn’t sleep with them because I didn’t know how intoxcated they were. 

Obviously if it was you they wanted to have sex with, they were way too drunk to consent.

50 minutes ago, Txzen said:

She looked so 'happy'. Wonder what happened to Chad?

CHAD AND CERISSA – BALOONS, BIKES AND APPLES

1. chad probably wasn't kinky, pervy, depraved enough.

2. she is the definition of ETBF, but she's not from east texas.  oh the irony.

3. wood.  i have a weakness for the crazies.  and she's pretty fucking spectacular on the crazy scale.  whips, chains, ball games, anal beads, kidnapping.  buckets of fun.

44 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

1. chad probably wasn't kinky, pervy, depraved enough.

2. she is the definition of ETBF, but she's not from east texas.  oh the irony.

3. wood.  i have a weakness for the crazies.  and she's pretty fucking spectacular on the crazy scale.  whips, chains, ball games, anal beads, kidnapping.  buckets of fun.

She definitely has ETBF and Doc definitely has some coon-ass in his lineage somewhere...  

4 hours ago, F250 said:

...Having sex with a functionally drunk girl was not something I remember being against the rules. Do people still have sex during Spring Break?

Like I said, although a girl may seem functionally drunk, she could be black out drunk. As a single guy, it’s something I’m aware of.

And whenever alcohol’s involved it’s incumbent upon the guy to ask for consent and make sure she can give that consent.

20 minutes ago, destroya said:

Like I said, although a girl may seem functionally drunk, she could be black out drunk. As a single guy, it’s something I’m aware of.

And whenever alcohol’s involved it’s incumbent upon the guy to ask for consent and make sure she can give that consent.

And my other question, do people still have sex during Spring Break? I ask because I don't remember anyone being sober but there was a whole lot of screwing going on.

9 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Okay, I grew up with "date rape" being referred to as people who slip pills or drugs into drinks of girls when they aren't looking or whatever or like the movie Kids where someone has sex with a girl who is not conscious. Or whatever it was Cosby was doing with quaaludes.

Date rape back in my days at UT (1987-1991) was any girl getting raped by someone she knew. I never heard shit about GHB, or roofies or whatever until much later. Date rape was: actually going on a date; or meeting someone at a party; then going back to your place; but the girl ultimately says no to sex. At that point dude says, fuck it, no witnesses, and physically forces her to have sex. Either way it sucks for the chick. Who fucking does this? Every one of them deserves a swift beat down.

Bernard

I discovered Rohypnal around '93 and we called them Mexican Quaaludes. From what I understand they were not near as powerful as the real Quaaludes from the 70's but that shit would still kick your ass. My roommate popped two pills one time and pretty much acted out that quaalude scene from Wolf of Wallstreet, except he somehow got his head stuck in a bucket of cheetos for 30 minutes.

Anyways, they wouldn't become associated with date rape for another few years and were really easy to come by in Austin during the mid 90's.

Edited by F250

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

I discovered Rohypnal around '93 and we called them Mexican Quaaludes. From what I understand they were not near as powerful as the real Quaaludes from the 70's but that shit would still kick your ass. My roommate popped two pills one time and pretty much acted out that quaalude scene from Wolf of Wallstreet, except he somehow got his head stuck in a bucket of cheetos for 30 minutes.

Anyways, they wouldn't become associated with date rape for another few years and were really easy to come by in Austin during the mid 90's.

This guy knows how to party 

6 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Fuck me sideways.  I would murder my girlfriend and the photographer and anyone withing 30 miles if I ever found myself being asked to take photos like that.

Those were some goofy ass photos. Apple picking and sharing a bottle of soda with two straws. gtfo. I wanna see the photos on their iPhones.