The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

We endorsed Sen. Cory Gardner in 2014 because we believed he’d be a statesman. We knew he’d be a conservative voice in Congress, to be certain, but we thought his voice would bring “fresh leadership, energy and ideas.”

We see now that was a mistake – consider this our resolution of disapproval.

Gardner has been too busy walking a political tight rope to be a leader. He has become precisely what we said in our endorsement he would not be: “a political time-server interested only in professional security.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

What could possibly go wrong.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/national/missouri-lawmaker-s-bill-would-require-residents-to-own-an/article_84f793ea-62f0-5ef1-9653-1acd6734ad90.html

A Missouri lawmaker has proposed legislation that would require many adult residents to own assault-style rifles.

Rep. Andrew McDaniel, R-Deering, introduced House Bill 1108 on Feb. 27.

The so-called McDaniel Militia Act "requires every person between 18 and 35 years of age who can legally possess a firearm to own an AR-15 and authorizes a tax credit for a purchase of an AR-15."

According to McDaniel's measure, any person who qualifies as a resident on Aug. 28, 2019, who does not own an AR-15-style rifle would have a year to purchase one. In addition, anyone who becomes a state resident after that date would have no more than a year to purchase such a rifle.

McDaniel also filed House Bill 1052 seeking to require every person 21 and older to own a handgun if legally able. According to the Missouri House of Representatives website, neither bill has yet been scheduled for a hearing or put on a House agenda.

What could possibly go wrong.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/national/missouri-lawmaker-s-bill-would-require-residents-to-own-an/article_84f793ea-62f0-5ef1-9653-1acd6734ad90.html

A Missouri lawmaker has proposed legislation that would require many adult residents to own assault-style rifles.
Rep. Andrew McDaniel, R-Deering, introduced House Bill 1108 on Feb. 27.
The so-called McDaniel Militia Act "requires every person between 18 and 35 years of age who can legally possess a firearm to own an AR-15 and authorizes a tax credit for a purchase of an AR-15."
According to McDaniel's measure, any person who qualifies as a resident on Aug. 28, 2019, who does not own an AR-15-style rifle would have a year to purchase one. In addition, anyone who becomes a state resident after that date would have no more than a year to purchase such a rifle.
McDaniel also filed House Bill 1052 seeking to require every person 21 and older to own a handgun if legally able. According to the Missouri House of Representatives website, neither bill has yet been scheduled for a hearing or put on a House agenda.

Take all the money from the bottom 90 percent and funnel it to the ultra wealthy, but require the poors to purchase assault rifles and pay for it. Interesting policy platform there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's more, with the mugshot portrait of this fine legislator:

http://www.kfvs12.com/2019/03/15/proposed-bill-would-require-mo-residents-own-an-ar-/?fbclid=IwAR0i1coDWLvad2PImhts7s5hnYrt_aqYeFArOVnfhzMif15vn4FHqy334TE

A bill introduced to the Missouri House of Representatives would require every resident between 18 and 34 years old to own at least one AR-15.

Introduced by Bootheel Representative Andrew McDaniel, House Bill 1108 is called the “McDaniel Militia Act.”

The bill defines an “AR-15” as “any semi-automatic rifle that is modeled on the AR-15 rifle design by AramLite, Inc.” It defines a “resident” as “a resident of the state who is 18 years or older and under 35 years old, who is not prohibited by law or court order from possessing a firearm.”

Under the bill, residents could be eligible for a tax credit equal to 75 percent of the cost of the AR-15 they bought.

It was first introduced to the House on February 27.

According to the Missouri House of Representatives website, a hearing on the bill has not been scheduled and it is not currently on a House calendar.

McDaniel was elected in 2014 and represents parts of Dunklin and Pemiscot Counties. He also served as a deputy sheriff for Pemiscot County for three years.

TILFFM4YYJEYFG6G5WDYFIA74Q.jpg

Throwing out this link for discussion:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2019/03/14/feature/the-strongmen-strike-back/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5129827fa574

It's a longform essay by Robert Kagan discussing the resurgence of autocrats as seen through a historical perspective from the signing of the Declaration of Independence into the present. He gives a persuasive argument that the true ideological struggle since the Enlightenment has been between Liberalism and Authoritarianism.

I'd spoiler but I'm too lazy to copy/paste this much text (opening the link in incognito mode still works with WaPo if that's any concern).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bolverk said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2019/03/14/feature/the-strongmen-strike-back/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5129827fa574

It's a longform essay by Robert Kagan discussing the resurgence of autocrats as seen through a historical perspective from the signing of the Declaration of Independence into the present. He gives a persuasive argument that the true ideological struggle since the Enlightenment has been between Liberalism and Authoritarianism.

I'd spoiler but I'm too lazy to copy/paste this much text (opening the link in incognito mode still works with WaPo if that's any concern).

Or you could, you know, subscribe and support important journalism. 

13 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Or you could, you know, subscribe and support important journalism. 

Get off your high bike. I support my local public radio station. Even if I were a WaPo subscriber, I'd still need to give the same advice to others to share it here - same with NYTimes, DMN, the Statesman, and many other papers. 

It’s a fantastic piece. It very much captures the current split...and it so frustrates me that those on the authoritarian populist side don’t see how they are fighting against every significant gain the west made in the postwar period.

From the closing of that article:

“We seem to have lost sight of a simple and very practical reality: that whatever we may think about the persistent problems of our lives, about the appropriate balance between rights and traditions, between prosperity and equality, between faith and reason, only liberalism ensures our right to hold and express those thoughts and to battle over them in the public arena. Liberalism is all that keeps us, and has ever kept us, from being burned at the stake for what we believe.”

As we think about foreign policy and our next election it may be this lens we should view the world through. Authoritarianism versus liberalism. And nothing is more at stake than is now with the existence of our digital lives and the ability to control and restrict reward and punish with that information.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

To be fair, Steve King isn’t wrong here. 

good lord, you cannot even troll properly.  i know you're not terribly bright but inject some subtlety and cleverness every once in a while.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

good lord, you cannot even troll properly.  i know you're not terribly bright but inject some subtlety and cleverness every once in a while.

I may not be terribly bright, but I do understand capitalization. 

• Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I may not be terribly bright, but I do understand capitalization. 

see? still not getting it.  i know you're entire personality is wrapped up in being a worthless drivel manufacturer so at least put the time and effort into developing and mastering your worthless craft...

• Like 1

Just now, sidis said:

see? still not getting it.  i know you're entire personality is wrapped up in being a worthless drivel manufacturer so at least put the time and effort into developing and mastering your worthless craft...

Your*, is English your second language? You do seem like a straight shooter, though, and I like that quality. I’ll tell you what, I’ll put some work into my posts and try to mend our relationship, but I have one important rule: you must not fall in love with me. 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

Your*, is English your second language? You do seem like a straight shooter, though, and I like that quality. I’ll tell you what, I’ll put some work into my posts and try to mend our relationship, but I have one important rule: you must not fall in love with me. 

one day i hope you will actually say something funny or at least mildly entertaining...let's just start there. 

38 minutes ago, sidis said:

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

one day i hope you will actually say something funny or at least mildly entertaining...let's just start there. 

You just went 0-3 against the troll. Every time you react to a troll, the troll wins. It's like you're hand feeding the troll at a petting zoo. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You just went 0-3 against the troll. Every time you react to a troll, the troll wins. It's like you're hand feeding the troll at a petting zoo. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

asking a troll to improve their craft is not reacting to a troll.  it is simply reminding them that no one takes them remotely seriously and thus, they need to deliver some occasional quality with their garbage or they will lose their troll status and simply become ignored.  like phlegm.

Edited by sidis

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

asking a troll to improve their craft is not reacting to a troll.  it is simply reminding them that no one takes them remotely seriously and thus, they need to deliver some occasional quality with their garbage or they will lose their troll status and simply become ignored.  like phlegm.

The thing is, he already knows that what he says isn’t worth the plastic from the keys that it’s typed. There’s no way he’s that unaware, so when you tell him that no one with an IQ above 80 takes him seriously, you’re not telling him anything he doesn’t already know. If I’m wrong, he has a chronic case of the Dunning Kruger effect, at which point there’s no way he could learn anything from what you say.

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

To be fair, Steve King isn’t wrong here. 

Regardless of the silly hypothetical civil war argument, what isn't debatable is that that a US Congressman tweeted, with a smirk, about one third of the country shooting up the other two thirds. Being an intellectual giant of the GOP, naturally Steve King did so while including his own district/state in the "losing" side. But yeah, let's defend him on the merits of his "argument."

31 minutes ago, sidis said:

Except he knows that if you really didn't take him seriously then the shit he says wouldn't get under your skin and evoke a response. 

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Regardless of the silly hypothetical civil war argument, what isn't debatable is that that a US Congressman tweeted, with a smirk, about one third of the country shooting up the other two thirds. Being an intellectual giant of the GOP, naturally Steve King did so while including his own district/state in the "losing" side. But yeah, let's defend him on the merits of his "argument."

I think he’s probably right, but yes, it’s just a silly hypothetical in the end. Everything is a personal affront to you lefties anymore and it’s a damn shame. 

• Fuck You 2

I think he’s probably right, but yes, it’s just a silly hypothetical in the end. Everything is a personal affront to you lefties anymore and it’s a damn shame. 

Lol. There it is. The "I have nothing to say so I'll make fun of them for being offended" approach. Bless your heart.

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Lol. There it is. The "I have nothing to say so I'll make fun of them for being offended" approach. Bless your heart.

Stop feeding him.  He's a troll.  He's a moron.  He's not remotely clever.  The only thing that brings him pleasure is shitting himself and smearing feces around.

1) don't engage him

2) particularly because, based on my analysis above, he might be the fucking President of the United States.

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Forgive me, but I don’t want to run the risk of over analyzing a joke. 

• Fuck You 2

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult